PDA

View Full Version : Should Tom Donahoe be Fired?

Meathead
11-29-2005, 07:31 AM
ok even though i'll vote no i won't laugh at you if you vote yes

Ebenezer
11-29-2005, 07:34 AM
President Tom Donahoe gets an B. The only thing keeping that from an A is the guy he hired as GM. That guy sucks. The problem is if you fire the GM who are you going to hire? Modrak? I think Modrak and the current GM work hand in glove. Tough call on that one. I will say this. Playoffs or fired in 2006. As for now?? I don't know.

Meathead
11-29-2005, 07:46 AM
Playoffs or fired in 2006.
that's my position

you better make a very strong run next year mr. d or i'm taking my fan money and going home

BillsFever21
11-29-2005, 08:05 AM
I'll give him one more shot to hire a real coach. He has put the players on the field capable of winning after he cleaned house but he hasn't hired the coach to put it all together.

OpIv37
11-29-2005, 08:09 AM
Playoffs or Fired in 2005.

Why should TD be fired? 30-45, no playoffs in 3 years, Gilbride and Gregg Williams, Mularkey, Mike Williams, 4 years and the o-line still sucks. 4 years, 1 winning season, a half year of a good offense and two years of a good defense.

That's piss poor.

justasportsfan
11-29-2005, 08:10 AM
Let's compare what Butler and his people have done for the chargers ever since Ralphy boy got rid of him and compare to what TD has done for the bills since he was hired....

No need. Even first time GM AJ Smith has done a way better job than TD has. TD needs to go. He'll never hire a proven HC because he wants all the power.

Ebenezer
11-29-2005, 08:13 AM
Let's compare what Butler and his people have done for the chargers ever since Ralphy boy got rid of him and compare to what TD has done for the bills since he was hired....

No need. Even first time GM AJ Smith has done a way better job than TD has. TD needs to go. He'll never hire a proven HC because he wants all the power.
fail to hire Charlie Weis was the first step out the door.

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
11-29-2005, 09:10 AM
He's not going to get fired Ralph already said that he has "all the respect in the world for Donahoe" and that he already extended his deal so I say NO!!!

Wednesday July 27, 2005

The Buffalo News is reporting that late last year Tom Donahoe was given a contract extension by owner Ralph Wilson. Donahoe's original contract with the Bills was due to expire at the end of the year, it now reportedly runs through 2007. Donahoe has never been one to discuss the details of his deals but it has been speculated that in extension was just a formality as Wilson is happy with the job he is doing. The owner himself confirmed the extension to the Buffalo News.
http://www.billsdaily.com/news/archives/2005/jul4.shtml

RedEyE
11-29-2005, 09:12 AM
If the Bills do not make the playoffs next season, then TD officially breaks the Bills record for consecutive seasons without a playoff game. I don't know about the rest of you guys, but I'm not looking forward to seeing that record broken. I can't see how he is going to pull this team from the gutter.

TD is a cap genius, all business, but that doesn't help win football games. His assessment of talent is skeptical. While he does well with pulling in guys like McGahee, you wonder what the hell he is thinking when he brings a guy like Bledsoe to Buffalo, but fails to properly address the OL under which Bledsoe needs to operate his magic. You love the fact that he can dig up guys like LeBeau, but question his motives when he allows them to flee Buffalo. His business like attitude alienates players. While the man obvioulsy knows how to milk the cap and plans well for future cap space, he fails miserably in securing a team, developing a rotating door never allowing a team to gel. This all adds up to simple mediocracy.

We need not worry just about next season, but future seasons. If he hangs on one more year without another positive gain then what has been accomplished?

I'd like to give the guy another chance but I think we should deal with this the only way TD will understand...in a business like manner. It's been too long since having seen any signs of success. He has to go.

Night Train
11-29-2005, 10:18 AM
If the Bills do not make the playoffs next season, then TD officially breaks the Bills record for consecutive seasons without a playoff game. I don't know about the rest of you guys, but I'm not looking forward to seeing that record broken.

The Bills and O.J. lost to the Steelers in the 1st round playoffs of 1974. Before that, their last playoff game was the AFL Championship game loss to the Chiefs in 1966.

RedEyE
11-29-2005, 10:28 AM
The Bills and O.J. lost to the Steelers in the 1st round playoffs of 1974. Before that, their last playoff game was the AFL Championship game loss to the Chiefs in 1966.

You're right. What I meant to say was that since the merger in 1970:

2000-2005: 6 seasons, 3 coaches
1982-1987: 6 seasons, 5 coaches
1975-1979: 5 seasons, 3 coaches
1970-1973: 4 seasons, 3 coaches [Thanks Cynical]

Michael82
11-29-2005, 10:50 AM
Wow! The heat is really starting to direct towards Tom Donahoe. He used to be called a genius at times and now 17 out of 20 people want him fired.

don137
11-29-2005, 11:26 AM
For every good move he has done there has been two bad ones. He had chances to hire some great coaches who have been successful elsewhere but blew it. He has never been successful addressing the OL and his drafting is below average IMO.

Lone Stranger
11-29-2005, 11:37 AM
You don't have to go any farther than his won-loss record, 30-45. Any rationalization beyond that point is irrelevant.

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
11-29-2005, 11:39 AM
If the Bills do not make the playoffs next season, then TD officially breaks the Bills record for consecutive seasons without a playoff game. I don't know about the rest of you guys, but I'm not looking forward to seeing that record broken. I can't see how he is going to pull this team from the gutter.

TD is a cap genius, all business, but that doesn't help win football games. His assessment of talent is skeptical. While he does well with pulling in guys like McGahee, you wonder what the hell he is thinking when he brings a guy like Bledsoe to Buffalo, but fails to properly address the OL under which Bledsoe needs to operate his magic. You love the fact that he can dig up guys like LeBeau, but question his motives when he allows them to flee Buffalo. His business like attitude alienates players. While the man obvioulsy knows how to milk the cap and plans well for future cap space, he fails miserably in securing a team, developing a rotating door never allowing a team to gel. This all adds up to simple mediocracy.

We need not worry just about next season, but future seasons. If he hangs on one more year without another positive gain then what has been accomplished?

I'd like to give the guy another chance but I think we should deal with this the only way TD will understand...in a business like manner. It's been too long since having seen any signs of success. He has to go.

Mularkey wanted LeBeau as Defensive Coord instead of Gray on his staff but LeBeau wanted to go back to Pittsburgh and be closer to his family that wasn't Donahoe's decision.

Jan Reimers
11-29-2005, 12:38 PM
This is Donahoe's 5th year. We are an overall 30-45 and out of the playoffs again, as we have been every year of his reign. Several teams, including the Bengals, have been built into good, solid playoff teams while we have spun our wheels.

TD has made a mess of our O and D lines. His feeble attempts to address our problems there have generally ended in disaster: One needs only to consider that big, fat, lazy, lethargic, and worthless Mike Williams is the highest paid Bill of all time.

Tell me again, what are the arguments against firing him?

dplus47
11-29-2005, 01:09 PM
here's a guy who thinks so. sorry if this link is a repost. i glanced around and didn't see it. it's interesting what he writes about the frank reich thing.

http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20051129/1015088.asp

sdbillsfan2
11-29-2005, 01:50 PM
Fired ??? That's way to easy .. I suggest he get's the tar and feather treatment,then suited up and let his as* go in and playing Qb for a series or 2 ! Then lets see how good he thinks this line really is !

Meathead
11-29-2005, 02:01 PM
now thats a great idea

Mudflap1
11-29-2005, 02:31 PM
I can't even fathom how someone would think Tom Donahoe should not be fired after this season. No more chances. No other franchise would tolerate this low of a standard, why sould we? He should not get a third chance with a head coach, he should not get a 6th chance to make the playoffs. NO NO NO!

He needs to be fired. He has not had success on any competitive level with this football team. We are a *******king disgrace.

Check this link out: http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2240847

Philip Fulmer just missed postseason play for the first time in his career at Tennessee, and the first time in over a decade for the Vols. Look how he reacted. Any bets Tennessee makes it back to the postseason next year? You cannot tolerate losing, but that's exactly what we have done. From Tom Donahoe's standpoint -- "let's give him one more year, let's give him a third chance to bring in another puppet of head coach to run this franchise into the ground" to Mike Mularkey's "he's still learning, it's not his fault the offensive line stinks (Tom Donahoe's problem), give J.P some more time to develop" to "just write off this season, play J.P., let him take his lumps." Why are we tolerating losing? With the exception of Losman, who is learning and starting to develop, time cannot be an excuse for this franchise anymore. It's time to get better. It's time to win. Get rid of Tom Donahoe, the new GM (Ron Wolf would be nice -- small town GM guy, hires good coaches, makes great personnel decisions) will evaluate Mularkey, and all of the rest of the chips will fall into place. Period. End of story. Ralph, do the right thing.

Jon

ParanoidAndroid
11-29-2005, 07:17 PM
I might be one of those "too nice" people, but I give the guy one more year to put together an O-line. He did a good job building a defense, and has some good looking youngsters on O. If Mike Williams played like he was supposed to, perhaps the Bledsoe experiment doesn't fail so miserably. I don't know. I think we have been slammed with some horrible luck. If he doesn't see it and fix it this year, I will kick him in the b@lls.

TacklingDummy
11-29-2005, 07:31 PM
Personally I can't see how the Bills draw 70+ thousand fans for every home game. This team has sucked for years but yet the fans keep showing up even with Buffalo having a struggling economy.

Hats off to those fans that buy tickets to watch this crap.

Mr. Cynical
11-29-2005, 10:23 PM
Nominated for "Is the Sun Hot?" category for most obvious question of the year.

RedEyE
11-30-2005, 08:35 AM
Mularkey wanted LeBeau as Defensive Coord instead of Gray on his staff but LeBeau wanted to go back to Pittsburgh and be closer to his family that wasn't Donahoe's decision.

Where are you getting this inside information from? If Mularkey came out and openly stated that he wanted LeBeau over Gray, that just proves that he's an idiot as well and doesn't belong as an HC in the NFL.

RedEyE
11-30-2005, 08:45 AM

And Pittsburgh is what? A 3 hour drive doing the speed limit? Money talks. The right price would have landed LeBeau. If TD didn't have a hard on for Gray he would have been out the door with Williams.

dannyek71
11-30-2005, 08:51 AM
get a assistant gm from a winning organization like Indy, or NE....

Make us stronger while making them weaker

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
11-30-2005, 09:15 AM
Where are you getting this inside information from? If Mularkey came out and openly stated that he wanted LeBeau over Gray, that just proves that he's an idiot as well and doesn't belong as an HC in the NFL.

right here :buddies:

LeBeau interviewed with Cowher on Tuesday, a day before Steelers offensive coordinator Mike Mularkey was hired as the Bills' coach.

Mularkey sought to retain LeBeau, but LeBeau apparently had decided by then to return to Pittsburgh. LeBeau was on Cowher's initial staff in 1992 as defensive backs coach and ran the defense during the 1995 and 1996 seasons.
http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/7011269

"Pittsburgh is like going home," LeBeau said Friday. "I was at the Pitt basketball game Monday night and 25 people came up to me and wished me good luck and said, 'Come on back.' I thought, 'This is pretty neat.'"

RedEyE
11-30-2005, 09:35 AM
right here buddy

LeBeau interviewed with Cowher on Tuesday, a day before Steelers offensive coordinator Mike Mularkey was hired as the Bills' coach.

Mularkey sought to retain LeBeau, but LeBeau apparently had decided by then to return to Pittsburgh. LeBeau was on Cowher's initial staff in 1992 as defensive backs coach and ran the defense during the 1995 and 1996 seasons.
http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/7011269

"Pittsburgh is like going home," LeBeau said Friday. "I was at the Pitt basketball game Monday night and 25 people came up to me and wished me good luck and said, 'Come on back.' I thought, 'This is pretty neat.'"

Read it again, man. It doesn't say anything about Mularkey wanting to keep him on as a DC.

Quote:

Dick LeBeau returned to the Pittsburgh Steelers (http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/teams/page/PIT) as defensive coordinator on Friday, rejecting an offer to stay on the Buffalo Bills' (http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/teams/page/BUF) staff.

Asking this guy to stay on as an assitant is just asinine and demeaning. Again, money talks. The right offer keeps him here. Pittsburgh is a 3 hour drive from B-Lo.

justasportsfan
11-30-2005, 09:41 AM
Read it again, man. It doesn't say anything about Mularkey wanting to keep him on as a DC.

that's what I thought. No way a proven DC who was the brain behind the zone blitz would be an asst. behind a young DC like Gray especially when a new HC was brought in. Lebaue has even more experience than MM himself.

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
11-30-2005, 11:51 AM
This is the one I wanted...
Friday January 16, 2003
LeBeau Leaves: Dick LeBeau has decided to go back to Pittsburgh to re-join Bill Cowher's staff as their defensive coordinator. Mike Mularkey was hoping to keep LeBeau as the Bills defensive coordinator but now will have to keep Jerry Gray or look outside the organization for a candidate. The deciding factor for Lebeau may have been that he still has family in Pittsburgh and it is closer to his Cincinnati home than Buffalo.
http://www.billsdaily.com/news/archives/2004/jan3.shtml
am I good or am I good :jig:
P.S. what are you hearing about Furcal is he going to stay with the Braves or go elsewhere. The Braves can't lose him he's thier best SS since Jeff Blauser.

RedEyE
11-30-2005, 03:43 PM
I hadn't heard this before, but how could Gray not be pissed about this? He was just happy to have a job.

Gray Excited To Stay: Jerry Gray did not look at it as a slap in the face that he didn't get the head coaching job or even that he was probably the second choice as the team's defensive coordinator. He looked at it as in honor that Mike Mularkey wanted to keep him even though he also interviewed for the job. He said he will be 100% behind the new coach and will look to fix two areas of the defense: Third downs and takeaways.

Furcal.... from what I've been hearing, Atlanta is willing to pay Furcal the kind of money that he's asking for. Atlanta does pay big numbers anymore since Turner sold the team to Time AOL Warner.

DaBills
11-30-2005, 11:20 PM
As much as I agree TD has approached the end of his 6-night/7-day cruise, I voted no because I think the question is too narrow. Firing TD this season right now (if I read the poll right) is not the solution since it's not just TD that's the problem here. More than TD's, I think MM has lost the team. Just conjecture, but even if MM thopught TD and Ralph were undermining him (unintentionally), you'd think he'd rally the team around and build an 'us against them' attitude.

Instead, you let your star WR talk **** about changing QB's publicly. STFU and play. He makes JP a #1, knowing what Eli was going through with the Giants, but yanks him after 4 games? Now Sam Adams is sitting?

The WR's and the OL average how many holding penalties a game lately? ****ing WR's??? Since when? Where's the discipline? The playcalling has WM practically running up the middle into the line like he's Travis, and we run an end-around reverse 15 yards deep against some of the fastet teams laterally in the league. No one up in the booth sees this? MM was supposed to be an offensive guru, and this is what he produces?

Change the poll, add MM's name and you got a deal.

;-p

Billz_fan
11-30-2005, 11:32 PM
Without a doubt. He has to go. I just hope they don't replace him with one of TD's henchmen like Modrak :laughter:

BillsOverDolphins
12-01-2005, 12:04 AM
Do the dolphins have gay colors?

Ebenezer
12-15-2008, 02:53 AM
President Tom Donahoe gets an B. The only thing keeping that from an A is the guy he hired as GM. That guy sucks. The problem is if you fire the GM who are you going to hire? Modrak? I think Modrak and the current GM work hand in glove.

Ugh...Was I that right? Modrak is as big of a problem as Donahoe was.