PDA

View Full Version : Straight from the mouth of a Dolphins fan...

Bill Brasky
11-29-2005, 02:43 PM
One of my housemates from college is a Phins fan. I just had a conversation with him about the Bills... here are some quotes:

"i think donahoe is guilty of trying to get finese players and doesnt get it that you need big mean lineman on offense and defense"

"he got a steal in mcgahee, he drafted losman who i think is going to be good, did a good job with getting rid of peerless price - i think he worst move is mike mularkey..."

"i dont understand how mularkey and mike tice have kept their jobs so long. tice is awful too. they should go after pete carrol, offer that guy a dumptruck full of money"

the last part got me thinking...

OpIv37
11-29-2005, 02:45 PM
Pete Carroll sucks. Donahoe's worst decision was Mike Williams.

Other than that, your friend is pretty much dead on.

dannyek71
11-29-2005, 02:45 PM
pete carrol had his chance in the NFL

I dont think pete is a great college coach. Good yes, but not great. Hell, give my grandma Leinhart, reggie bush and co. and she could win games

NJFINSFAN1
11-29-2005, 02:46 PM
Pete Carrolls rah-rah crap won't work in the NFL.

L.A. Playa
11-29-2005, 02:47 PM
Carrol is not going anywher, he is a great recruiter and a great college coach, his style doesnt translate well in the NFL.

Mularkey needs to go, but the question is who would you really want to be Head Coach are ther any good candidates out there

Mudflap1
11-29-2005, 02:47 PM
NOOOO to Pete Carroll. First, he won't leave USC. Second, he is not a good NFL head coach. He's fine where he is.

Jon

Bill Brasky
11-29-2005, 02:49 PM
so you're saying you'd rather have a guy who stands around, looking lost, can't control his players, can't call the correct plays, can't make game adjustments... over a guy who's on the brink of 3 straight NCAA titles...

it doesn't matter if you have a boatload of talent... there have been plenty of stacked teams that can't win the big one, in college and the pros... i'd rather have PC over Costner's twin anyday.

no way it will happen, but i'm just being hypothetical here.

L.A. Playa
11-29-2005, 02:50 PM
Carrol has a sweet deal here at USC, he is not gonna go anywhere, my question is once again who are viable coaching candidates out there ??

FlyingDutchman
11-29-2005, 02:53 PM
I heard talk of Marty Shotenhimer (I murdered his last name) possibly getting the axe in San Diego if they dont make the playoffs...I wouldnt mind seeing him here...

Bill Brasky
11-29-2005, 02:54 PM
well, right now, off the top of my head... Mariucci is available now, Haslett will be gone from the saints this year, Jim Fassil who TD passed on is an Asst., Dick LeBeau is an Asst and coached here before, Dick Vermeil might retire or leave KC, Mike Sherman may be done in GB... those are just off the top of my head, I'd have to look at coaching staffs...

The only one's I'd want out of that list would be Fassil Vermeil or Sherman... and I don't think any of them are that great to begin with...

L.A. Playa
11-29-2005, 02:57 PM
none of those names get me excited, what sucks is we passed up so many up and coming young coaches for trash not once but twice

Bill Brasky
11-29-2005, 03:00 PM
i think what this team needs most is a guy who can control the egos and attitude problems, and be an above average coach... there are some good coaches on that list, but none that stand out as guys who can put egos in check. they've never really had to deal with ego players, other than Mariucci with TO but they pretty much showed him the door before he became a full blown ass.

Bill Brasky
11-29-2005, 03:00 PM
oh how different things might have been if we could have gotten Marvin Lewis or Charlie Weiss... :ill:

Mr. Miyagi
11-29-2005, 03:01 PM
you'd rather have a guy who stands around, looking lost, can't control his players, can't call the correct plays, can't make game adjustments
Are you talking about Manboobs or MM?

L.A. Playa
11-29-2005, 03:02 PM
or Lovie smith or John Fox or Romeo Crennel or Jack Del Rio or Tony Dungy or ......

Bill Brasky
11-29-2005, 03:15 PM
or Lovie smith or John Fox or Romeo Crennel or Jack Del Rio or Tony Dungy or ......

:cry:

L.A. Playa
11-29-2005, 03:17 PM
or Tom Coughlin or Jim Mora Jr or the bum on the corner

Mudflap1
11-29-2005, 03:26 PM
I think Mularkey should go too, I just don't think Pete Carroll is the answer for us. Childress, OC of the Eagles (look past this year, they've done very well since '99), Bartkowski, OC of the Bengals are a couple of thoughts. Visit this link, tells of some guys possible for Detroit, has some names on there...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=clayton_john&id=2239800

Jon

feelthepain
11-29-2005, 03:30 PM
One of my housemates from college is a Phins fan. I just had a conversation with him about the Bills... here are some quotes:

"i think donahoe is guilty of trying to get finese players and doesnt get it that you need big mean lineman on offense and defense"

"he got a steal in mcgahee, he drafted losman who i think is going to be good, did a good job with getting rid of peerless price - i think he worst move is mike mularkey..."

"i dont understand how mularkey and mike tice have kept their jobs so long. tice is awful too. they should go after pete carrol, offer that guy a dumptruck full of money"

the last part got me thinking...

I think if McGahee is going to be a steal, he better step up because the last few weeks he's been a non factor...after the "I'm the best RB in the league" speech he sure doesn't impress me.

Bill Brasky
11-29-2005, 03:31 PM
or Tom Coughlin or Jim Mora Jr or the bum on the corner

Jim Mora Jr. is overrated, IMO.

look what he did when Vick was hurt.

W/O Vick, that team is a disaster waiting to happen.

Bill Brasky
11-29-2005, 03:34 PM
I think if McGahee is going to be a steal, he better step up because the last few weeks he's been a non factor...after the "I'm the best RB in the league" speech he sure doesn't impress me.

you and me both. he has done nothing all season. granted, the line sucks, and teams are stacking the box, but still, if he's as good as he says he is, and as good as he USED to be at the U, he should be making plays happen. he's not trying to make guys miss, he's not running guys over... he makes contact and quits.

he hasn't had a big play or run in 2+ years here. 4 TD's in 10 games. four 100 yard games, all against bad rushing D's. not exactly amazing.

feelthepain
11-29-2005, 03:41 PM
you and me both. he has done nothing all season. granted, the line sucks, and teams are stacking the box, but still, if he's as good as he says he is, and as good as he USED to be at the U, he should be making plays happen. he's not trying to make guys miss, he's not running guys over... he makes contact and quits.

he hasn't had a big play or run in 2+ years here. 4 TD's in 10 games. four 100 yard games, all against bad rushing D's. not exactly amazing.

No one can deny Willis's talent thats for sure, but you need more then just talent to be a steal. I think maybe Willis feels like Ricky felt after TC last year when he quit. Ricky knew the Fins were going to be the same as the year before, run 40/50 times a game and he just didn't want to take the abuse.

Mudflap1
11-29-2005, 03:47 PM
Here's one for ya: hire Ron Rivera, DC of the Bears. Discipline, blue-collar attitude. Has helped take a terrible team and put them on the map. Sure the NFC North is weak, but it isn't much weaker (if at all) than the AFC East is this year. Plus, we have more offensive talent than Chicago. Bring in some offensive linemen, this guy will get the defense humming, and we could be going in the right direction.

Jon

DynaPaul
11-29-2005, 04:18 PM

[/I]the last part got me thinking...

About how dumb a suggestion it was I hope. Look, we already got a squad of cheerleaders called the Jills. We don't need to add an overpriced male cheerleader to the mix. Pete Carroll is great for college football and that's about it.

L.A. Playa
11-29-2005, 04:24 PM
Here's one for ya: hire Ron Rivera, DC of the Bears. Discipline, blue-collar attitude. Has helped take a terrible team and put them on the map. Sure the NFC North is weak, but it isn't much weaker (if at all) than the AFC East is this year. Plus, we have more offensive talent than Chicago. Bring in some offensive linemen, this guy will get the defense humming, and we could be going in the right direction.

Jon

sold me

TigerJ
11-29-2005, 04:30 PM
Pete Carroll is king in So Cal. He has a big salary. Everyone loves him. The climate is great. The only thing Buffalo can offer him that he doesn't have is the chance to coach in the pros, and every indication is he doesn't care one bet for that any more.

ParanoidAndroid
11-29-2005, 06:31 PM
Yeah. Mularkey has been here way too long just like Tice....a year and a half. :rolleyes:

Mularkey deserves another year. Give the guy some linemen!!!

!Papacrunk!
11-29-2005, 06:36 PM
feelthepain----maybe I'm the only superstitious one, but those comments will get Willis yards, lol.
::edit::

one last note, not to kiss his ass, but it is something that Willis can be a dominant starter after seeing that nasty knee injury those couple of years ago. I wouldn't worry too much about his comments about being the best running back--I'm sure he was just trying to create any kind of spark he could for his teamates on offense. Of course I hope he doesn't have a big game Sunday, but I guess I am a bit biased.

ParanoidAndroid
11-29-2005, 06:44 PM
Dude! You just jinxed the jinx!

!Papacrunk!
11-29-2005, 06:46 PM
I can't say anything now....................not a thing

ParanoidAndroid
11-29-2005, 06:50 PM
Now you're really tempting the football gods! You said something while saying you couldn't say anything. Man.....:D

sjoyce
11-29-2005, 07:31 PM
I agree with andyxc give Mike another year and some capable linemen and things will improve! McGahee and Losman both need that line to show every week and earn their pay! Losman has a good arm and would be alot better with a good line! The D could use some work to but with Spikes out that hurts!