PDA

View Full Version : Tom Donahoe has just been fired...

Ebenezer
11-29-2005, 03:17 PM
and you are named the new GM of the Bills.

What do you do to right the ship as quickly as possible? Start with contracts and player/personnel - be reasonable and remember the salary cap implications of your moves.

Have fun with this.

L.A. Playa
11-29-2005, 03:20 PM
Fire Mularkey and start a coaching search.

The_Philster
11-29-2005, 03:27 PM
Don't do that!! :mad: I almost had a coronary when I saw that thread title!!

Bill Brasky
11-29-2005, 03:27 PM
1. fire MM and start a coaching search. Name Wyche the interim head coach.

2. assess the FA market or make a few trades to upgrade either the DL or OL after the season ends. this includes negotiating with NC. If he is reasonable, re-sign him, if he gets demanding like Jennings, try to sign and then trade him away. We need to get something for him but we can't break the bank on him, there are too many holes to fill. OL and DL should be the only priority. maybe try and package him with someone like Adams or Williams for an avg CB and a better than avg DL/OL.

3. assuming we draft middle of the pack, I'd try and work a few deals to position us to take a highly ranked OL or DL.

OpIv37
11-29-2005, 03:32 PM
I hear ya, phil.

1. Mularkey, Gray and Clements- GONE. Not sure who I'd replace them with just yet, but the HC would definitely have experence.
2. Moulds-restructured or gone
3. Mike Williams- gone
4. Nate clements franchised- he's going to demand more than he's worth.
5. Get a stud DT in the free agent market, two if possible
6. Get O linemen through both the draft and FA. If no O linemen are worthy of our high draft pick, trade down and pick up more late in round one, early in round two.
7. Bring in a FA WR.
8. Make the three TE's compete cuz only one of them is staying.
9. Re-sign Crowell and Peters (both FA's this year I believe).

L.A. Playa
11-29-2005, 03:34 PM
I also start Preston at C and Geisienger at G to see if I have anything in them

Bill Brasky
11-29-2005, 03:42 PM
I hear ya, phil.

1. Mularkey, Gray and Clements- GONE. Not sure who I'd replace them with just yet, but the HC would definitely have experence.
3. Mike Williams- gone
6. Get O linemen through both the draft and FA. If no O linemen are worthy of our high draft pick, trade down and pick up more late in round one, early in round two.
7. Bring in a FA WR.
i'd include all 3 of the TE's in the house cleaning bonanza. none of them have done anything since they've been here, blocking or recieving. i think we are fine at WR, as long as Moulds restructers. If not, sign and ship. You can't just let him go. we could get something for him. get somebody of comparable size, make evans your #1, stretch the field guy, and get somebody to replace moulds (if he's gone) to be physical and make plays over the middle.

we need at least one good DT and OL through FA... if there are no good DT's, go after a DE who can get into the backfield and put pressure on oppossing QB's, then draft a DT... look at the numbers of the last few QB's that have played us... their completion percentages are through the roof - a telltale sign of a nonexistant pass rush (THANK YOU AARON SCHOBEL). then draft at least one of each w/ our first 2 picks. maybe go after a CB (if Nate is gone) or TE with the next pick. it's not the solution, but's a good start.

Keep Peters. I don't think Crowell is a concern, should be relatively easy to resign. i wouldn't mind seeing him battle posey for the LB spot. I know he's Spikes' backup, but he's got too much promise to rot on the bench or in situational plays, posey's done nothing all year for us.

plain and simple: DT, DE, OG, and OT are the four main areas that need to be addressed, ASAP.

Iehoshua
11-29-2005, 03:46 PM
Likewise.
:mad:

Why not change the thread title so it's not so misleading?

Ebenezer
11-29-2005, 03:49 PM
Likewise.
:mad:

Why not change the thread title so it's not so misleading?
it got you to read it...didn't it? :biggrin:

footballhottie
11-29-2005, 03:52 PM
I ALMOST THREW UP!!! WHY DID U DO THAT!?!?!

Iehoshua
11-29-2005, 03:53 PM
it got you to read it...didn't it? :biggrin: Yeah but.... It's not fair! I wanted it to be true! :wail:

The_Philster
11-29-2005, 04:02 PM
Yeah but.... It's not fair! I wanted it to be true! :wail:no kidding :sadwalk:

realdealryan
11-29-2005, 04:39 PM
Ditch Clements and Moulds for some affordable talent, like Deion Sanders and Jerry Rice. Maybe Cris Carter will come back.

Also hire Bill Polian after the Colts win the Super Bowl this year.

ParanoidAndroid
11-29-2005, 06:09 PM
1. Coaches: The coaches stay with a one-year leash. I give them the benefit of the doubt considering they haven't been able to build the team with the players they need.
2. Aquisitions: Bring in some players that the coaches need. A guard who leads the way instead of getting in the way. A TRUE LT. A DT who draws double teams and isn't horribly out of shape. A legitimate receiving threat at TE. A TRUE pass rusher at DE. A center who doesn't get manhandled by big DT's. Get LB depth, especially in the middle.
3. Current players: Williams takes a huge paycut or tries his luck elsewhere, probably the latter. Teague hits the road. Adams hits the road. Franchise Clements and consider trades. Moulds...I would do my best to restructure and keep him in Buffalo. Re-sign Crowell long term, offer Edwards a reasonable 2 or 3 year contract and let him explore the market. Aiken and Haggan get minimum contracts and have one last opportunity to show they are starting quality...younger players will be given prority over them. Stamer is gone (sorry FBH).

Novacane
11-29-2005, 08:15 PM
Clean house with the coaching staff.

cut Posey, Vincent, Reed, Wire, fat bust williams, and Turnstile Anderson

do not re-sign Teague or Clements

Cut Adams if he still has a bad attitude. If not keep him.

Bufftp
11-29-2005, 08:21 PM
you are evil Eb.

HHURRICANE
11-29-2005, 09:10 PM

Agreed. I almost wept with joy!!

ScottLawrence
11-29-2005, 09:19 PM
Cuts- Mularkey, Gray, Clements, Milloy, Moulds, Adams, Vincent, and Williams.

I hire Donnie Henderson as our new head coach.

Franchise Clements, and trade him to the Browns for there first round pick.

So, we go into FA with plenty of cap room to get this thing rebuilt.

I look at some veteran WR's, and CB's to replace Moulds, and Clements.

Sign Juran Bolden to a cheap contract, and then I sign Jabar Gaffney to replace Moulds, at a resonable contract.

I also look at DT's in free agency, I try hard to sign Grady Jackson, and get the deal done for an affordable contract.

OG is another position I look at in FA, Steven Hutchinson will be taken away before I can even offer him a contract, but I manage to snag Terrence Metcalf away from the bears, and award him a good salary for a guard.

So I go into the draft, with a successful Free agency period, and I believe the #1 priority going into the draft, is still DT.

1a. DT-Haloti Ngata(Oregon)
1b. T- Joe Thomas(Wisconsin)
2.DT-Orien Harris(Miami)
3a.SS- Daniel Bullock(Nebraska)
3b.CB- Anwar Phillips(Penn St.)

Starting lineup for 2006:

QB-JP Losman
FB-Shelton
WR's-Evans, Gaffney
TE-Campbell, Everett
LT-Jason Peters
LG-Terrence Metcalf
C-Duke Preston
RG-Chris Villarrial
RT-Joe Thomas(R)

Defense:
LDE: Kelsay
DT:Grady Jackson, Haloti Ngata(R)
RDE:Aaran Schobel
LOLB:Crowell
MLB:Fletcher
ROLB:Spikes
LCB:Juran Bolden
FS:Rashad Baker
SS: Daniel Bullock(R)
RCB:Terrence McGee

This would be a terriffic offseason, IMO.

Especially if we can get a first round pick for Nate Clements....Which I believe we can.

Mr. Cynical
11-29-2005, 10:19 PM
I hear ya, phil.

3. Mike Williams- gone
7. Bring in a FA WR.

Looks like a plan to me.

clumping platelets
11-29-2005, 11:57 PM
:type:

gr8slayer
11-29-2005, 11:58 PM
First thing I do is start calling all the best OL who are to be FA's and start a'signin.

clumping platelets
11-30-2005, 03:38 AM
This is a difficult question to answer. Why? Well, from a salary cap perspective, we do not presently know what the rules will be this off-season. Will a new deal get done? How will signing bonuses be handled? Many variables to assess.

Notice Eb didn't put his own plan out for anyone to pick to pieces :shakeno:

If I were named GM:

1) I would likely start from scratch and can the coaching staff sans special teams coach Bobby April and O-Line coach Jim McNally

2) My new HC would be battle tested and willing to butt heads with the GM

3) I would allow the new HC time to review the roster and work towards a common goal of re-engineering the team.

4) Re-engineering the team means rebuilding with youth and "on the cusp" veterans (remember Bryce Paup?), thus many veterans would be either released or traded.

5) I would trade Moulds for whatever I could get. Conditional 2007? Fine. Trade him to an NFC team that has a legitimate chance at the SB. Obviously, he would team to re-work his deal with that team to facilitate any deal. (Cap savings of $5,333,334)

6) I would try to restructure Mike Williams' deal and give him another yr. If he's unwilling to do that and a trade is not possible....cut, released, and/or waived. (Cap savings depends on outcome but it's in the millions)

7) I would Franchise Nate Clements. I would then attempt to deal him to whatever team is willing to give me a #1 pick in 2006. (Cap savings after trade is approx. $8 million). If I'm unable to trade him, he can play 2006 at the Franchise tender amt, but I would try to re-sign him long term.

8) I wouldn't release any players unless the HC concurred. However, players like Wire, Sape, Posey, Villarrial, and a few others would be on the bubble.

9) I would give the minimum tender of approx. $400,000 to EFAs RB Shaud Williams, OT Jason Peters, and CB Jabari Greer to retain their rights. I would give the minimum RFA tender of approx. $675,000 to LB Mario Haggan, LB Josh Stamer and WR Sam Aiken (all solid special teams players). I would put a 1st rd tender of approx. $1.6 million on LB Angelo Crowell (try to sign long-term). I would not tender OL Lawrence Smith

10) I would sign LS Mike Schneck to long-term deal (Lindell has really benefitted from his ability as a LS)

11) I would allow the remaining UFAs (OL Teague, WR Reed, DT Edwards, DL Denney, DT Bannan, OL Jerman, CB Thomas, and QB Matthews) to test FA market. I would be interested in bringing back any who would accept my contract terms. Prioritize DT Bannan and OL Teague (who could switch back to LT)

12) Knowing that the fans need a reason to buy season tickets AND to re-instill some confidence in the organization, I would make a bold move IF I was able to extract a #1 pick for Clements........I would keep that choice but trade the Bills' 1st rd 2006 (likely top 10) and RB Willis McGahee to the team with the 1st overall and draft RB Reggie Bush (may need a high pick in 2007 as well). How about another USC grad at RB? Would you bring #32 out of retirement?? I would consider it

13) Free Agency: we would need to add a veteran CB to replace Clements. We need to address both lines, however, the FA market will be weak for DT (the reason I keep Adams for another year), thus I would concentrate on OL help. We would need a veteran WR opposite Lee Evans. We would also need a veteran RB behind Reggie Bush. Outcome of FA depends on what players are available, their willingness to consider Buffalo, and their willingness to negotiate a fall deal.

14) Draft: I already said I would go after Reggie Bush. I also have retained another 2006 #1 pick from the Clements deal. I would use this pick on a DT/OT/LB...remember, Posey is on the bubble. Spikes is coming off major injury, and Fletcher has 1 yr remaining on his deal. If I get DT or OT in rd 1 (maybe even trade up for OT Eric Winston from "Da U" if he falls into the middle 1st rd, then SOLB Bobby Carpenter (Ohio St) looks good in rd 2, but again, you cannot target positions, you must target talent. The rest of the draft would add help on both lines and maybe a blue chip safety prospect.

15) From a public relations standpoint, I would make the organization recognize the efforts of internet sites such as BillsZone.com and embrace them. I would have a salary cap class for cyberspace capologists' so they can better explain to the masses what "Deion charges" are or how LTBE/NLTBE are calculated, etc

16) I would petition the NFL to allow the Bills to use the throwback jerseys from now on.....I personally love them :D I would then use the uniforms from the SB years as our throwback jerseys!

17) I would put 1 player per game in 2006 on the "Wall of Fame".....no more waiting for some of them.

18) I would freeze ticket prices for 2006 but announce NOW that 2007 prices will increase by X % and allow fans to purchase special packages for both years. I would limit access by ticket brokers that have 1 season ticket and can buy unlimited number of tickets for games when season ticket holders can purchase extra seats in May.

19) I would take out the metal stands in the upper decks (or whereever they are) and put in the seats that Pride has :D

20) I would convinve Ralph of 2 things: First, that the naming rights need to be sold for additional revenue AND second, he needs to consider selling the team to local interests that can guarantee the franchises viability in the WNY market for yrs to come

When do I get hired? :huh:

Night Train
11-30-2005, 04:47 AM
I like the idea's of Mr. Clump. I salute your well thought out post.

I receive draft info all year. The OL could easily be addressed with some proper selections, since it's a rare deep draft at OT. ( many OT's can also slide inside). A few good OG 's are also coming out. Add in the fact a couple good inside VET OL ( G- Hutchinson and C/G Bentley) are available in FA and it's possible to see a much better line by next season..but the Bills have to be proactive.

I'm not so sure about the DT position. The top rated players available in the draft seem to all have issues with performance/injuries/weight etc. FA shows next to nothing. I guess some trust in the scouts to identify talent beyond the obvious will be needed. We could also use 1 big DE . Kelsay just seems too small and more of a situational player.

LB could potentially be a problem. Spikes is 50/50 to return to his previous form with that type of injury. Posey is nothing special. Fletcher makes lots of tackles...downfield. Still gets tied up all too often by even the FB and isn't getting any younger or stronger. Don't ignore upgrading the LB position.

I'll miss Clements but paying expensive rent on him for 1 year by using the Franchise tag means less $$ to upgrade the trenches and other postions of need.

Question to Mr. Clump. If Both Mike Williams and Moulds are sent packing, how much of a dead cap hit are we talking about ? Would it leave us short for potential UFA signings ?

J-Dog
11-30-2005, 04:56 AM
Give Mike Williams another year, are you kidding me??? He is the biggest waist of a Bills Jersey I have ever seen!! And as far as Moulds goes he has been the only consitant player on the team when given the chance. He is still the best player on our team exception a healthy TKO, he This guy has been a great player over the years and LEE will have a very tough time if he leaves.

Jan Reimers
11-30-2005, 08:02 AM
Tom Donahoe fired?

Don't try to cheer me up.

Ebenezer
11-30-2005, 08:05 AM
This is a difficult question to answer. Why? Well, from a salary cap perspective, we do not presently know what the rules will be this off-season. Will a new deal get done? How will signing bonuses be handled? Many variables to assess.
Notice Eb didn't put his own plan out for anyone to pick to pieces :shakeno:
If I were named GM:

When do I get hired? :huh:

I didn't want to influence other's opinions :D

Slow night at work?

clumping platelets
11-30-2005, 08:56 AM
:ontome:

gr8slayer
11-30-2005, 10:06 AM
Your hired Clump! But dont get rid of Willis.

camelcowboy
11-30-2005, 11:29 AM
First thing i would, is hire a coach who has worked under a decent head coach. Brad Childress would be on my short list.

I have to figure out what type of team i would want. My mind i need a team with Mental Toughtness, and Disapline. Veterans that like to jaw to the media, and celebrate after every play would be gone. Adams, Fletcher, Moulds would be shown the door.

I open negotiations with Wills, and gauge how big of a pain in a ass a long term extention would be. If he can be signed to a fair contract, no way does he get paid anywhere near LT.

The "lock down" corner nate Clements, gets the franchise tag. Get on the phone and start talking see if you can receive a first round pick. Or possible some offensive line help. "Bet you greg williams would love to have him.

Free agency- Would be about the lines, Hutchenson would be perfect, on defence upgrading the passrush from the tackle postion would be a priority. I have decided that a speedy defensive line is much better then a run stuffing line. Take the colts, they don't need to blitz, and they manhandled one of the best offensive lines in Pittsburg with pure speed. Same with Chicago's D-line. I like our secondary, Pass rush needs to be upgraded.

Posey would be cut, So Crowell could start. Middleline backer could be drafted, or freeagency. Hawk from Ohio State, or Andra Davis.

Safties are fine, Vincent is a solid veteran and leader, same with Milloy. A d-line would make them look alot better.

O-line- Where do i begin. Well good bye Mike Williams, Trey Teague, Bennie Anderson.

LT-Peters
LG-Hutchenson
C-Preston
RG-Gandy
RT- Draft pick or Freeagent

Im not going to go into the draft as of now, because i haven't done my Homework as of yet, and i still don't know where were going to finish draft wise. DT, and OT would be a priority, but i can't say i wouldn't think about a WR, or a DE, or Linebacker if a top one was available. The rest of the picks would be DT, or O-line.

Watch Jason Jefferson at D-tackle for the end of this year. He has been getting more time and i must say i do like what i see from the rookie. Tim Anderson is garbage, and Sape, Bannan are backups at best.

The biggest thing that would be done is making this soft team, into a mean one. If a team of mine loses a game the other team is going to be sore after it.

For the Record. If there is a chance to draft Reggie Bush. Do it. A package deal of Clements, Wills, and a Second round pick would be pretty apealing to a team like the Niners, or texans.