PDA

View Full Version : Politicians are really defending the wrong people!

Mitchy moo
11-29-2005, 09:41 PM
Politicians are just getting too involved with sports leagues. What the heck do they have to do with how drugs are taken or how players are treated? They need to work on getting the poor & homeless food, jobs & healthcare. Give people who need it a chance, not some multi-millionaire loser with a bad attitude.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2240403

Specter looks into antitrust issues in Owens' case

subcommittee my a**, what is wrong with these people??

TacklingDummy
11-29-2005, 09:52 PM
If TO was white he wouldnt of gotten such a stiff penalty.

Mitchy moo
11-29-2005, 09:57 PM
What do you consider a stiff penalty?

Being a multi-millionaire?

They aren't going to starve TO here, he'll make it.

TacklingDummy
11-29-2005, 10:04 PM
Not to mention to work on a timetable to pull our troops out of Iraq :usa: :yankee:

Bush has a important speech about Iraq tomorrow. Probably be the same important speech he gave last time about Iraq.

Losing 4 paychecks is a stiff penalty for using his right of freedom of speech. How would you like to lose a quarter of your salary for a year for things you have said?

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
11-29-2005, 10:07 PM
Politicians are just getting too involved with sports leagues. What the heck do they have to do with how drugs are taken or how players are treated? They need to work on getting the poor & homeless food, jobs & healthcare. Give people who need it a chance, not some multi-millionaire loser with a bad attitude.

Not to mention a timetable to get our troops out of Iraq :usa: :yankee:

Jan Reimers
11-30-2005, 11:44 AM
Arlen Specter should be a Democrat. He has been a disgrace to the Republican Party, back to his stance against Judge Bork, who would have been the very best Supreme Court Justice of this era.

So his posturing and pontifying on behalf of a nitwit like TO does not surprise me in the least.

BidsJr
11-30-2005, 12:58 PM

I totally agree on giving some people a hand up......... Giving the people who want a chance, a chance to depend on themselves. The rest of them who want to use my hard earned money IE taxes on a free ride through life can go screw themselves.

Most of the poor and Homeless need to figure out themselves how to get food, jobs and healthcare. Just like you and I.

Mitchy moo
11-30-2005, 01:26 PM
The Government should be there to help the people, not judge the people. It's amazing that he would throw his hat into the ring, not a good move.

BidsJr
11-30-2005, 01:45 PM
The Government should be there to help the people, not judge the people. It's amazing that he would throw his hat into the ring, not a good move.

Agreed with 1 slight adjustment. Should be there to help people help themselves.

OpIv37
11-30-2005, 02:14 PM
Losing 4 paychecks is a stiff penalty for using his right of freedom of speech. How would you like to lose a quarter of your salary for a year for things you have said?

that's a load of crap. Freedom of speech applies to the government, not to organizations that you voluntarily enter a contractual agreement with. The Philadelphia Eagles (or any other team or company) has no legal obligation to allow freedom of speech. How many of us could get away with badmouthing our employers to the media without repercussions?

And last time I checked, freedom of speech doesn't include fisticuffs with a co-worker on the employer's premises.

Also 3/4 of TO's paycheck isn't exactly slumming it. The dude's still making at least ten times more than everyone posting in this thead combined.

Lexwhat
11-30-2005, 03:33 PM
If TO was white he wouldnt of gotten such a stiff penalty.

I'm glad you said it.

Nor would he be criticized as harshly.

Mitchy moo
11-30-2005, 04:05 PM
that's a load of crap. Freedom of speech applies to the government, not to organizations that you voluntarily enter a contractual agreement with. The Philadelphia Eagles (or any other team or company) has no legal obligation to allow freedom of speech. How many of us could get away with badmouthing our employers to the media without repercussions?

And last time I checked, freedom of speech doesn't include fisticuffs with a co-worker on the employer's premises.

Also 3/4 of TO's paycheck isn't exactly slumming it. The dude's still making at least ten times more than everyone posting in this thead combined.

We'll not everyone.

Jan Reimers
11-30-2005, 07:20 PM
I'm glad you said it.

Nor would he be criticized as harshly.
That's crap and you know it. This isn't about race. It's about selfishness, arrogance and complete disregard for your teammates and your organization.

I'm sorry that you see everything in racial terms. It doesn't help, and it is extremely disingenuous to claim that appropriate punishment for irresponsible and mean spirited actions is somehow racially motivayed.

TigerJ
11-30-2005, 11:33 PM
What better way for a politician to get publicity than stick his/her nose into sports. I'm not saying they should in most cases, but it's inevitable.

RedEyE
11-30-2005, 11:41 PM
Isn't this the same Senator that said he didn't have enoug time to review the Supreme Court nominee blah, blah, blah.... so they extended the decision until January?

Some how he found the time to fit TO into his schedule. Great set of priorities.

Lexwhat
12-01-2005, 01:07 AM
That's crap and you know it. This isn't about race. It's about selfishness, arrogance and complete disregard for your teammates and your organization.

I'm sorry that you see everything in racial terms. It doesn't help, and it is extremely disingenuous to claim that appropriate punishment for irresponsible and mean spirited actions is somehow racially motivayed.

I never disagreed that it was selfish, arrogant, and that he disregarded his teammates. He did deserve punishment.

I only commented on the severity of the accusations that he gets. When Bill Romanowski smashed the face of his teammate in and ended that dude's career, he got fined less than $500,000 dollars. And no suspension.

Can you tell me one thing... If TO smashed the face in of one of his teammates, ending that guy's career, do you think he would have been let off that easy (paying a small fine)?

gr8slayer
12-01-2005, 08:28 AM

They need to work on jobs and healthcare. Not the poor and homeless. A large majority of the people who are poor and homeless are in the situation they are in because they refuse to actually do something with themselves.

Jan Reimers
12-01-2005, 08:42 AM
I never disagreed that it was selfish, arrogant, and that he disregarded his teammates. He did deserve punishment.

I only commented on the severity of the accusations that he gets. When Bill Romanowski smashed the face of his teammate in and ended that dude's career, he got fined less than $500,000 dollars. And no suspension.

Can you tell me one thing... If TO smashed the face in of one of his teammates, ending that guy's career, do you think he would have been let off that easy (paying a small fine)?
I think you're right about Romanowski, who is a far worse person than TO. And I have no doubt that there is racial discrimination in this country, but it cuts in all directions.

Pete Rose, for instance, is still banned from baseball and has once again been excluded from this year's Hall of Fame ballot. Dwight Gooden is on it. I submit that if Rose - baseball's all time hit leader - were a person of color, he would have been reinstated and have taken his rightful place in Cooperstown by now.:peace:

BidsJr
12-01-2005, 08:47 AM
They need to work on jobs and healthcare. Not the poor and homeless. A large majority of the people who are poor and homeless are in the situation they are in because they refuse to actually do something with themselves.

The same can be said for working people who complain about Jobs and healthcare. The great thing about the US healthcare system is that the more successful that you become as a family the smaller percentage of marginal income it takes to pay for your healthcare.

Anything that the govenrment provides for you costs you more the more successful you become. Which is ass backwards.

They should be staying out of the way. Cut taxes to give people more money to spend = more demand for products = more jobs.

Remove all the political red tape for the drug companies and cut out the BS lawsuits for people who can't take resonsibility for their own actions.

BidsJr
12-01-2005, 08:49 AM
I think you're right about Romanowski, who is a far worse person than TO. And I have no doubt that there is racial discrimination in this country, but it cuts in all directions.
Pete Rose, for instance, is still banned from baseball and has once again been excluded from this year's Hall of Fame ballot. Dwight Gooden is on it. I submit that if Rose - baseball's all time hit leader - were a person of color, he would have been reinstated and have taken his rightful place in Cooperstown by now.:peace:

One good example of racial discrimination was in the Notre Dame/ Stanford game last week.

Keith Jackson was talking about the ND running back and said quote "and..... he is very well spoken."

I'm like wtf? You wouldn't be saying that about a white running back. That ticked me off.

gr8slayer
12-01-2005, 08:55 AM
One good example of racial discrimination was in the Notre Dame/ Stanford game last week.
Keith Jackson was talking about the ND running back and said quote "and..... he is very well spoken."
I'm like wtf? You wouldn't be saying that about a white running back. That ticked me off.
We in America are way too quick to pull the race card. Seriously.

BidsJr
12-01-2005, 09:02 AM
We in America are way too quick to pull the race card. Seriously.

I just thought it was another good example of racial stereotyping that goes on in sports.

High Motor guy= White defensive lineman.

Possesion reciever= White wide reciever.

Good quicks, Don Beebe, Tim Dwight.

Well spoken- ND running back

These things are out there and I'm not sure people are being racist, maybe just easier to compare people of the same color.

Ever heard Shobal compared to anyone other than Phil Hanson? LOL

gr8slayer
12-01-2005, 10:22 AM
I just thought it was another good example of racial stereotyping that goes on in sports.
High Motor guy= White defensive lineman.
Possesion reciever= White wide reciever.
Good quicks, Don Beebe, Tim Dwight.
Well spoken- ND running back
These things are out there and I'm not sure people are being racist, maybe just easier to compare people of the same color.
You know what I find ironic? When someone says "he's slow because he is white." There is nothing wrong with it. But if you say; "he's only fast because he is black." Then somehow your the *******.

Lexwhat
12-01-2005, 11:00 AM

That is true. Blacks will use that excuse that they are being discriminated against, while the issue may not even be racially motivated. Likewise, blacks take advantage of things and may try to get everything they can.

On the other hand, many whites jump to assumptions about blacks. IMO, they dont take into consideration the way many of these people were brought up.

It goes both ways. I guess, everyone can be guilty of something.

Lexwhat
12-01-2005, 11:01 AM

Guilty as charged. http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/images/icons/icon7.gif

BidsJr
12-01-2005, 11:04 AM
That is my point exactly.

I wasn't comparing him to Phil, but that is always whom others compare him too.

Mitchy moo
12-01-2005, 11:09 AM
That is true. Blacks will use that excuse that they are being discriminated against, while the issue may not even be racially motivated. Likewise, blacks take advantage of things and may try to get everything they can.

On the other hand, many whites jump to assumptions about blacks. IMO, they dont take into consideration the way many of these people were brought up.

It goes both ways. I guess, everyone can be guilty of something.

I just want to win football games and get back iin the playoff race now. I can care less if HO CHI MING get us a SB win, bring him in.

Lexwhat
12-01-2005, 11:09 AM
You know what I find ironic? When someone says "he's slow because he is white." There is nothing wrong with it. But if you say; "he's only fast because he is black." Then somehow your the *******.

It's true, people do generalize. I do it, and I'm sure most of you do as well. Sometimes, generaliztions CAN cross the line. To me, your example is harmless. I cant speak for other people, but if someone said what you are talking about, I wouldnt take any offense to it.

Lexwhat
12-01-2005, 11:10 AM
I just want to win football games and get back iin the playoff race now. I can care less if HO CHI MING get us a SB win, bring him in.

:lmao: :bf1: