PDA

View Full Version : 30th in total O? Thats where our cash is headed

X-Era
11-30-2005, 07:36 AM
We are 18th in D, 30th in O.

Logically, looking just at this, we should spend most of our cash on O upgrades. Yes, many across the line. But also point scorers.

A team this bad in O needs to get better players in a hurry. We all agree that the o-lines should get the bulk of the upgrades but heres a few players that could upgrade our point scoring too:

TE, yes we have Everrett. He hasnt played a down yet. THis years draft boasts 2 sure fire TE prospects that look to me to be BETTER than Winslow:

1) Marcedes Lewis- He puts Matt Jones to shame with better overall ability, a little slower, but is built much more like a TE
2) Vernon Davis- A stud who like Lewis is a WR in a TE body.

Neither will be tackled by just one DB.

RB, Reggie, the best prospect since Barry Sanders.

QB, I dont think we should spend a single pick on QB but many of you do.

Jay Cutler, if your looking for a sleeper at QB, this is the guy. He slices and dices D's.

WR,

1) Derek Haggan- the next Moulds
2) Chad Jackson- a sleeper but rising fast, he makes moves like a RB and is a STUD in the making
3) Greg Lee- I just love the way he plays, he looks like Fitz to me.

IF it was me and I was looking to boost our O, I might skip a solid line proscpet to get one of these guys.

Personally, id rather see us spend the bulk of our cash on the O with lineman and one solid young WR.

Jan Reimers
11-30-2005, 07:57 AM
We already have McGahee, Losman, Evans, Parrish, Everett - not to mention Moulds - and a variety of other pretty good young RBs and WRs.

Let's concentrate on the O line, in order to give these young skill players a chance, and the D line, so we can stop the run.

RedEyE
11-30-2005, 08:03 AM
O-line all the way. It's hard to get the ball to a "playmaker" when the opposing defense is camping out in our backfield.

justasportsfan
11-30-2005, 08:17 AM
No!NO!NO!NO!NO! THe team needs the great wall of China for OL. JP will be able to eat tacos on every play if he's well if he had that. We could even bring back Reimersma if Jp has time to read Mondays's newspaper.

With Parrish, Everett, Evans and Moulds (if he's even here) , they will get their separation eventually, especially w/ JP's rocket arm.

Turf
11-30-2005, 08:18 AM
Linemen on both sides of the ball, we have enough skill players. Linemen can make a lot of average guys great.
As far as the offense goes, it's hard for them to put up points when the defense routinely allows 9 minute drives.

justasportsfan
11-30-2005, 08:21 AM
Linemen on both sides of the ball, we have enough skill players. Linemen can make a lot of average guys great.
As far as the offense goes, it's hard for them to put up points when the defense routinely allows 9 minute drives.We have winner. Our dbs will look so much better when we win in the trenches. We need a stud DE and DT. Schobel and Kelsay ain't cutting it. Hansen was awsome when Bruce was on the other side. Kelsay will be a good back-up.

mysticsoto
11-30-2005, 08:34 AM
Well, we will need a WR at some point to replace Moulds - whether he leaves this season or in a few. His time will come soon and WRs typically take a few years to really develop. We've been lucky with Evans b'cse Moulds draws double teams, but without Moulds, Evans will be double teamed and we need another prospect that can catch well and burn them when they do this. If we can't draft a top one, we will need to draft a prospect and develop him.

For the 1st round, we will need a DT definitely. Our run defense is one of the worst in the league and Mularkey and Adams don't seem to see eye to eye right now. That could mean he will be gone. We will also soon need a stud SS, as Coy Wire will never come close to performing at Lawyer Milloy's level!

I think we should try and get Olinemen in FA. We can get some in the draft that possess "intelligence" like McNally seems to like - and develop them. When you get a stud O-linemen in the draft, sometimes they rely on their body build more than technique. In college, that may be fine, but when you get to the pro level, everybody is fast, everybody is strong and everybody is quick. Now you have to rely more on technique and skill rather than body build. And many of these top Olinemen end up being just average then.

I would probably do something like the following...of course this depends on who is available. If you have a stud that has fallen down to you, you could disregard positions and choose the stud...

1) DT
2) WR
3a) SS
3b) OL
4) DE ?
5) CB
6) OL
7) Prospect available...

justasportsfan
11-30-2005, 08:40 AM
Mystic, you seem to be satisfied w/ our pass rush from our DE's? If Kelsay who was drafted in the 2nd rd. can't do squat , picking a DE in the 4th is a waste. You can grab good OL in that rd especially since next years draft issupposedly loaded w/ them.

Lexwhat
11-30-2005, 09:53 AM
We are 18th in D, 30th in O.

Logically, looking just at this, we should spend most of our cash on O upgrades. Yes, many across the line. But also point scorers.

A team this bad in O needs to get better players in a hurry. We all agree that the o-lines should get the bulk of the upgrades but heres a few players that could upgrade our point scoring too:

TE, yes we have Everrett. He hasnt played a down yet. THis years draft boasts 2 sure fire TE prospects that look to me to be BETTER than Winslow:

1) Marcedes Lewis- He puts Matt Jones to shame with better overall ability, a little slower, but is built much more like a TE
2) Vernon Davis- A stud who like Lewis is a WR in a TE body.

Neither will be tackled by just one DB.

RB, Reggie, the best prospect since Barry Sanders.

QB, I dont think we should spend a single pick on QB but many of you do.

Jay Cutler, if your looking for a sleeper at QB, this is the guy. He slices and dices D's.

WR,

1) Derek Haggan- the next Moulds
2) Chad Jackson- a sleeper but rising fast, he makes moves like a RB and is a STUD in the making
3) Greg Lee- I just love the way he plays, he looks like Fitz to me.

IF it was me and I was looking to boost our O, I might skip a solid line proscpet to get one of these guys.

Personally, id rather see us spend the bulk of our cash on the O with lineman and one solid young WR.

Some of the best coaches/GMs throughout NFL history have picked QBs almost every single draft, usually in the late rounds or as free agents. Bill Belichek, Mike Martz come to mind as ones who do it now. I think I can remmeber Jimmy Johnson and Ron Wolfe used to do the same.

The reason is because you can land guys that could eventually be traded away for higher draft picks. It's a wonder more teams dont do the same.

gr8slayer
11-30-2005, 10:30 AM
Once we start to address the OL we will move up quickly. We have the talent.

mysticsoto
11-30-2005, 01:53 PM
Mystic, you seem to be satisfied w/ our pass rush from our DE's? If Kelsay who was drafted in the 2nd rd. can't do squat , picking a DE in the 4th is a waste. You can grab good OL in that rd especially since next years draft issupposedly loaded w/ them.

Well, that's why I put a ? on it. Actually, I am not satisfied with our DEs this year. Schobel is playing below his level. But in truth, b'cse we can't stop the run, our opponents just give the ball to the RB and they run forward...the DEs don't have time to make any moves or get back to the QB. If we had some strong run stuffing, our opponents would have to resort to the pass more which would increase the time our DEs have to actually do something. I feel like it has a cascade effect.

We can certainly grab another OL in the 4th (a guard in the 3b maybe and a tackle in the 4th?). I put that there mostly just in case a prospect DE was available. In truth, I am surprised we didn't keep Constantin Ritzmann. He was pretty fast and Gausse was pretty strong. Too bad we can't find someone who has both - you know...a Bruce Smith clone...

bacardi
11-30-2005, 03:10 PM
maybe a veteran would help the younger players develop, the O-line does need to be adressed. with time, the offence with the right coachin will form pretty nicely IMO