PDA

View Full Version : In hindsight: LJ Shelton

Mr. Miyagi
11-30-2005, 09:15 AM
Do you think we should've dealt with Denny Green for LJ Shelton now that we know Henry turned out to be a bust in Tennessee? Would that have helped our OL more than Bennie Anderson?

Discuss.

RedEyE
11-30-2005, 09:18 AM
Good topic. It's difficult to say really.

I wouldn't really call Henry a bust in Tennesee. He's doing what the would have done here, sharing the ball. Arizona's pass game isn't that bad, but to credit Shelton just doesn't seem right.

Romes
11-30-2005, 09:21 AM
I think a 3rd round pick is more valuable than LJ Shelton. I still like the trade to Tennessee

finsrclowns
11-30-2005, 09:23 AM
Travis Henry had 86 yards on 13 carries last week for Tenn. If Willis did that we would have beaten Carolina. But I think we did well to get the third- it will be a very high third.

R. Rich
11-30-2005, 09:40 AM
LJ Shelton has looked horrible in the times I've watched his blocking. We got that, and cheaper, w/ Bennie Anderson. Then again, we could've had an entire crappy left side of the OL had we acquired Shelton. Damn.

gr8slayer
11-30-2005, 10:37 AM
I would have rather gotten Shelton than the third.

Spiderweb
11-30-2005, 10:40 AM
Do you think we should've dealt with Denny Green for LJ Shelton now that we know Henry turned out to be a bust in Tennessee? Would that have helped our OL more than Bennie Anderson?
Discuss.

Actually the proper comparison would be Shelton vs. Gandy. Gandy has played average, which on our team, it makes him damn near our best OL guy. Shelton I believe would not have matched Gandy's performance.

Anderson was a different deal, albeit a very stupid "hail mary" one in an attempt to fill the LG hole. As everyone can see, Anderson has failed miserably.

Shasta McNasty
11-30-2005, 10:53 AM
We could have signed Shelton after he was cut if we wanted.

Mr. Miyagi
11-30-2005, 11:02 AM
Right, but we didn't. Because at the time we thought our OL was decent, which we came to learn that it's not. So again in hindsight, would Shelton have helped us?

Jan Reimers
11-30-2005, 11:12 AM
LJ Shelton would have represented one more mediocre lineman in a large cast of mediocre linemen. Our record would be exactly the same as it is now had we acquired him.

Jeff1220
11-30-2005, 11:15 AM
Maybe they could've plugged him in at LT. The Bills' coaches seem to like playing OLmen at positions they arent used to and he couldn't have been much worse the Mike Williams. Then they could use Jason Peters in another 'need' spot, since he plays just about any position on the field.

mysticsoto
11-30-2005, 11:27 AM
Right, but we didn't. Because at the time we thought our OL was decent, which we came to learn that it's not. So again in hindsight, would Shelton have helped us?

Shelton has looked terrible everytime I have seen him play. I'm not disappointed we didn't get him...

Jan Reimers
11-30-2005, 11:28 AM
Shelton would have been our LT instead of Gandy. Peters replaced Williams at RT.

Jeff1220
11-30-2005, 11:29 AM
Shelton would have been our LT instead of Gandy. Peters replaced Williams at RT.

That's what I meant in the first sentence...RT...my bad.

TigerJ
11-30-2005, 12:40 PM
Actually the proper comparison would be Shelton vs. Gandy. Gandy has played average, which on our team, it makes him damn near our best OL guy. Shelton I believe would not have matched Gandy's performance.

Anderson was a different deal, albeit a very stupid "hail mary" one in an attempt to fill the LG hole. As everyone can see, Anderson has failed miserably.

I agree, Gandy has easily outplayed Shelton. Peters has outplayed him on the other side. Gandy has also not had the injury problems that were feared, making him a pretty solid acquisition for the money. Then there's Bennie "fat tub of lard" Anderson. Actually a fat tub of lard might block better than he has.

BLOchieF7
11-30-2005, 01:16 PM
sheltons a fa after this year lets get him

Jan Reimers
11-30-2005, 02:27 PM
sheltons a fa after this year lets get him
I think we need to stop building our line from other teams' junk. Let's either draft or acquire through free agency some quality players, rather than the dregs which no one else wants.

Mr. Miyagi
11-30-2005, 02:39 PM
Again it's been said before, acquiring quality FAs requires forking up the big bucks, and TD is too cheap to do that.

What pay full price for top quality when you can pay half price for junk? That way you have an excuse to miss the playoffs again.

Jan Reimers
11-30-2005, 02:49 PM
Again it's been said before, acquiring quality FAs requires forking up the big bucks, and TD is too cheap to do that.
What pay full price for top quality when you can pay half price for junk? That way you have an excuse to miss the playoffs again.
Yeah, it's like TD has built a fast, sleek Ferrari and then put it on bald, 13 inch retreads.

Philagape
11-30-2005, 03:38 PM
All this would be moot if we had gotten Pete Kendall a couple of years ago

Philagape
11-30-2005, 03:52 PM
Well, not ALL this, but we wouldn't be going through the Bennie/MW saga

Forward_Lateral
11-30-2005, 04:29 PM
Shelton is horrible. He would not be any better than what the Bills already have, which isn't saying much for him.