PDA

View Full Version : Marv Levy Wanted to Come Back

Lexwhat
11-30-2005, 04:25 PM
Since there's a lot of talk on here about a Head Coaching change - some people (including myself) brought up Marv Levy.

I remembered that I read something on NFL.com about him last year wanting to come back to the NFL to coach.

I looked, and I found the article. It's from January 2004, but I guess it doesn't really make much difference. Some of you have probably read it. Maybe it was even brought up on this board, but I wasn't around back then on this site so I wouldn't know either way.

"But what I realized later was that I was looking for a sabbatical, and not one that lasted this long. I want to coach again. Have I been contacted or interviewed? I've talked to people but I feel it's inappropriate to divulge that at this point.
I've dwelled on this before, but the success of returning coaches like Dick Vermeil and Bill Parcells, and now Joe Gibbs, and even in baseball with Marlins manager Jack McKeon, is maybe showing that the age barrier for coaches is finally breaking down. I hope so."
-Marv Levy

http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/story/6987425

If anything, enjoy!
<!--include src="/fantasy/includes/story_bottom.htm" --><!--
Remember to sign up for NFL Field Pass (http://www.real.com/partners/nfl/fieldpass.html).--><!--Deployed By ldivock 2.20.2004 12:35:35 Log:20040220123526_11221_ldivock-->

ChaelTD
11-30-2005, 05:25 PM
Wont happen. Maybe not a bad thing, but I would enjoy to see him back. Perhaps just wishful thinking, but oh well.

CAbills
11-30-2005, 05:32 PM
Man that would be awesome. Good ole Marv, "where else would you rather be"

G. Host
11-30-2005, 07:10 PM
Right now Marv belongs in a front office. He could be President of a club and can help with strategy, PR, morale, etc but despite the tremendious respect I have for his abilities and knowledge do not think he is right for head coach position.

gr8slayer
11-30-2005, 08:53 PM
Marv would be a badass GM.

Charlieguide
12-01-2005, 01:47 PM
Anyone watching SportCenter this morning knows what I'm talking about. If a 90 year old man can play rugby, why can't Marv coach?

Lexwhat
12-01-2005, 04:42 PM
Anyone watching SportCenter this morning knows what I'm talking about. If a 90 year old man can play rugby, why can't Marv coach?

Exactly.

I'm sure Marv wont worry about "tarnishing his image." He has one last shot at glory, my guess is he would take it if he had the chance. I believe he's 76 years old right now, so unless he gets hired after this season or next, he'll probally never be back.

Let's put it this way. Is there any doubt in anyone's mind that players wont play their hardest for him? He is a highly respected hall of fame type of coach. IMO, he cant do worse than Mularkey is doing right now.

Drive 4 Five
12-01-2005, 10:26 PM
Right now Marv belongs in a front office. He could be President of a club and can help with strategy, PR, morale, etc but despite the tremendious respect I have for his abilities and knowledge do not think he is right for head coach position.

Why not?

G. Host
12-02-2005, 02:55 PM
Why not?

I think Marv was on the Bills at the right time during the right period. Marv's strength was inspiration and leadership as well as introducing the concept that special teams could make the difference in the game even forcing teams to adjust their teams to compensate for our special teams.

Marv had several weaknesses and while I believe he is an extremely bright man he did not adjust during his tenure of NFL coach and I do not think he would now. It is possible with better coordinators and some leadership at top things would change but I can not see this happening.

Drive 4 Five
12-02-2005, 07:13 PM
Why not?
I think Marv was on the Bills at the right time during the right period. Marv's strength was inspiration and leadership as well as introducing the concept that special teams could make the difference in the game even forcing teams to adjust their teams to compensate for our special teams.
Marv had several weaknesses and while I believe he is an extremely bright man he did not adjust during his tenure of NFL coach and I do not think he would now. It is possible with better coordinators and some leadership at top things would change but I can not see this happening.

I have to disagree because I think that those very qualities that you describe, are the perfect and exacting reason why he could and should come back to coach the Bills. Leadership is what this organization has lacked since the day that Marv left. There is no more important quality to being a head coach than leadership, the ability to assure that each coordinator is working cohesively with one another and each unit to form a complete team. Special Teams included, just as you said. That is what Marv did best.

As for the right time and the right period, I think that time is now.

G. Host
12-02-2005, 09:04 PM
There were a lot of things Marv could not adjust to like having rookies starting, giving players too much leeway especially during training camp and playoffs, halftime adjuistments, pulling coaches who could not due their job (i.e. Dickerson), etc.

If he could adjust and had a extremely strong assistant HC maybe but in the player-eat-coach world some his techniques may not work.

Lexwhat
12-03-2005, 06:16 AM
There were a lot of things Marv could not adjust to like having rookies starting, giving players too much leeway especially during training camp and playoffs, halftime adjuistments, pulling coaches who could not due their job (i.e. Dickerson), etc.

If he could adjust and had a extremely strong assistant HC maybe but in the player-eat-coach world some his techniques may not work.

Halftime adjustments? He pulled off the greatest halftime adjustment in NFL history against the Oilers.

But seriously, every coach in the NFL has some type of flaw. I dont think there's any coaches in the league right now where you couldnt find something that they do wrong. There's coaches in the league that neglect much more that what you mentioned (even entire defenses or offenses), but Marv could win ball games and was a great motivator.