PDA

View Full Version : Rivalry Renewed

The_Philster
11-30-2005, 07:47 PM
It's rivalry week for the Buffalo Bills. They head to South Florida Sunday to play the Miami Dolphins. These teams have butted heads twice year since 1966 and some in the Buffalo locker room have been on both sides of this battle. more (http://www.rnews.com/Sports/Story_2004.cfm?ID=32511&rnews_story_type=39)

fushetti
11-30-2005, 10:40 PM
This current bunch of Bills probably care less if theyre playing the Miami Dolphins or the Sisters of the Poor. Frankly, I'm in the same boat.

I'm 26 and I didn't live thru the "0 for the 70's". As far as I'm concerned, Miami week revolved around Kelly vs. Marino. Both are long gone and both teams are horrible. Although, I loved "Squishing the Fish" during the late 80's and the 90's, it just doesn't have the same feel like it used to. Honestly, in recent years, i'd rather defeat the Patriots. I have no hatred for Miami anymore.

Hell, the Bills that came from "The U" are prolly just looking to party on South Beach late in the week. Willis and Rosenhaus are probably hashing out his holdout strategy for next year as I type this ;)

Devin
11-30-2005, 11:26 PM
“When you're drafted, brought in as a free agent to Miami, you don't like the red, white and blue. Obviously, when you come up to Western New York and you're a Buffalo Bill you don't like the aqua and orange."

Aqua and orange? Arent the Fins colors "Teal and Gay"?

FinNasty23
11-30-2005, 11:42 PM
Aqua and orange? Arent the Fins colors "Teal and Gay"?

can you believe the wit on this guy? He must be paying a guy to come up with that material... http://images.finheaven.com/forums/smilies/rolleyes.gif

FinNasty23
11-30-2005, 11:44 PM
This current bunch of Bills probably care less if theyre playing the Miami Dolphins or the Sisters of the Poor. Frankly, I'm in the same boat.

I'm 26 and I didn't live thru the "0 for the 70's". As far as I'm concerned, Miami week revolved around Kelly vs. Marino. Both are long gone and both teams are horrible. Although, I loved "Squishing the Fish" during the late 80's and the 90's, it just doesn't have the same feel like it used to. Honestly, in recent years, i'd rather defeat the Patriots. I have no hatred for Miami anymore.

Hell, the Bills that came from "The U" are prolly just looking to party on South Beach late in the week. Willis and Rosenhaus are probably hashing out his holdout strategy for next year as I type this ;)

I have to agree... The Bills are at the bottom of my hatred totem poll as well. I HATE the freakin Jets... more than anything. And we all just hate the damn Pats...

tampabay25690
11-30-2005, 11:54 PM
Im going to the game SUN and it doesnt feel the same this year at all when both teams arent winning.......

Samphin1
12-01-2005, 12:24 AM
I disagree. I hate the Bills with a PASSION. Maybe it was due to all the Marino-Kelly matchups, but I love to watch Miami KILL THE BILLS. I just wish they would do it more frequently...

Devin
12-01-2005, 12:47 AM
can you believe the wit on this guy? He must be paying a guy to come up with that material...

was just a joke :)

I disagree. I hate the Bills with a PASSION. Maybe it was due to all the Marino-Kelly matchups, but I love to watch Miami KILL THE BILLS. I just wish they would do it more frequently...

I hear you, I despise the fins. Perhaps more than any team in the NFL. Fins week is always a big deal.

The_Philster
12-01-2005, 03:04 AM
I hear you, I despise the fins. Perhaps more than any team in the NFL. Fins week is always a big deal.ditto...I was telling the guys after the game on Sunday to forget about it..it was Fish week :squish:

Billz_fan
12-01-2005, 03:31 AM

I was at the game in 1980 when the Bills broke the 20 game losing streak on Sept 7th 1980. Oddly enough I got my tickets for that game free from my boss at work. I was living in Lyons NY at the time. My boss got the tickets for free but could not go. He gave em to me.
We were in section E on about the 40-50 yard line. Im not sure it's even called section E anymore since it's been awhile since I was at the stadium.
At the end of the game fans mobbed the field. Even though I was like 19 at the time I didn't want to get involved in the mess taking place on the field. They tore down the goal posts and passed sections of the posts up through the crowd. I managed to get my hands on a big section of the goal post as it passed through our area. :laughter:
Since then I have loved the rivalry more than any :up:

Mr. Cynical
12-01-2005, 09:51 AM
Even though I'm older than Fushetti I agree with him. The fish are just as pathetic as we are and have been for a long time. Neither team is a contender. It's like two old jackals fighting over the putrid corpse leftover by the big dawgs in the league. My hatred is aimed squarely at the Pats. They have been on top for years and have kicked our ass every year except for that one lone opener in '03.

As for the fish....seriously, when is the last time Miami was a real threat to the Bills?

Well first, a threat only exists if your team is actually competitive. We haven't been competitive since 1999. Granted Miami who knocked us out of the playoffs in 1998, but we smacked them out of the playoffs '90, '92 (AFC Champ game...ouch) and '95, as well as kept them from the playoffs in other years.

So in closing, I have no love of the Fish or the J-E-T-S, but without question the Patsies are #1 on my hate list. It's hard to hate a crappy team, and the Fish suck.

HAMMER
12-01-2005, 10:40 AM
This is ridiculous, you whipper snappers have no respect for history. The Dolphins have always been and will always be the Bills biggest rivals. This rivalry is bigger than your "hatred" for the Pats recent success, or your disdain for the Jets. Though this season has been disappointing, a victory over the putrid Phish will soothe lots of souls.

Dolphinatic
12-01-2005, 11:00 AM
I agree that the rivalry isn't much at the moment with both teams so mediocre. To be honest, I'd rather see the Bills win the division this year than the Pats, if I had to choose (not that that's any more likely than Miami winning it, at this point).

fushetti
12-01-2005, 11:37 AM
This is ridiculous, you whipper snappers have no respect for history. The Dolphins have always been and will always be the Bills biggest rivals. This rivalry is bigger than your "hatred" for the Pats recent success, or your disdain for the Jets. Though this season has been disappointing, a victory over the putrid Phish will soothe lots of souls.

Hammer, a win over the Dolphins this week does nothing for me, I'm sorry. Theyre a crappy football team, and the Bills are the biggest disappointment of the last three years. Now, a win over Tedy Bruschi (Oh yeah and the Patriots) a few weeks back, that wouldve been exciting. But yeah, we snatched defeat from the jaws of victory.

I have tremendous respect for history. I'm not really a fan of the new Bills uniforms...I long for the days of the K-Gun... As a Sabres fan, I miss the blue and gold...etc. I appreciate the rivalry the Bills and Dolphins had/have, but to get all fired up for a game thats going to put the winner at 5-7 is not appetizing. Shula and Marino are gone.. Marv and Kelly are gone. Anyone pumped up for the JP/whoever their QB is matchup?

My hope is that they don't run all over us and beat us this week. The bus is warming in the parking lot and these players want this year to end.

fushetti
12-01-2005, 11:39 AM

Love that sig Samphin

Bill Brasky
12-01-2005, 12:37 PM
typical sports fans... no memory for history, only thinking in "the now"... i like to call it the "espn train of thought"

the phish will always be the game of the year, IMO. maybe if the rest of you thought like this, we could have a top-notch rivalry like the chiefs/raiders or skins/cowboys. there is no team I hate more than Miami.

you guys always ***** about buffalo never getting any respect... it's hard for the rest of the NFL-loving world to respect a team and it's history if it's own fans don't.

yeah, they've sucked for a while and this year has been a big letdown, but don't let the present factors negate what a rivalry this has, and always will be.

if it wasn't such a great rivalry, the phins would have left the AFCE, not Indy.

Mr. Cynical
12-01-2005, 12:53 PM
typical sports fans... no memory for history, only thinking in "the now"... i like to call it the "espn train of thought"

the phish will always be the game of the year, IMO. maybe if the rest of you thought like this, we could have a top-notch rivalry like the chiefs/raiders or skins/cowboys. there is no team I hate more than Miami.

you guys always ***** about buffalo never getting any respect... it's hard for the rest of the NFL-loving world to respect a team and it's history if it's own fans don't.

yeah, they've sucked for a while and this year has been a big letdown, but don't let the present factors negate what a rivalry this has, and always will be.

if it wasn't such a great rivalry, the phins would have left the AFCE, not Indy.

To be honest I could care less about "rivalries". I care about winning, particularly the super bowl. And rivalries between bottom feeders (which is what we and the fins are) does even less for me. If we were both fighting for AFCE title, then I would care and hate them.

If you want to call it "ESPN thinking", that's fine with me. I don't want to dwell in the past (unless there is unfinished business like pasting the Cowboys in a SB). I prefer to focus on the present and the future. To me, respecting the history of the Bills is about respecting the team, its great players and great games, not respecting any particular rivarly with another that comes and goes. But that's just me.

Bill Brasky
12-01-2005, 02:38 PM
i want a super bowl more than anything, but when the team sucks like this, the only consolation is beating the phins.

"espn train of thought"... not that i dwell in the past, just that people tend to easily forget... perfect example: LT having a great season, now they're talking about him being the "best RB of all time". he's not even halfway through his career. they already label him better than guys like Sanders, Simpson, Payton, Brown... come on. but, i guess it's easier to look at current stats then actually know about the sport.

when there's a close game, they're quick to label it "the greatest game of all time", ala USC/Notre Dame a few weeks back. all the more reason why i don't watch that network anymore. it's like one poster said here in a different thread - it's too hard for them to do any real work so they just run with what's hot and beat you with it til you're blue in the face.

the bills dolphins rivalry reigned supreme in the AFCE for so long, and now people don't care simply because the Pats are the better team. the Bills can't even beat the Pats. how does that make a rivalry? simply because one team is good? it makes no sense to me. do I like it if we beat NE, hell yes, i always have because they're a division rival - there's no denying it - but no matter how good the Pats and Jets will ever be in the future, the Bills/Phins is still the better, more significant rivalry, IMO, just because of what it has always been, not what it currently is. there were always close games, both teams won their share during the 80's/90's... when have the Bills beaten the Pats during their Super Bowl stretch with exception to the home opener a few years back?

can anyone honestly tell me that the Pats/Bills rivalry is more important just because the Pats are good and we suck... as oppossed to the 90's when the Phins/Bills met in the playoffs year after year or had great, meaningful regular season games that actually meant something down the stretch?

that makes a great rivalry to me... holding out hope that we don't get embarassed at foxboro then choke at home, doesn't.

fushetti
12-01-2005, 04:30 PM
i want a super bowl more than anything, but when the team sucks like this, the only consolation is beating the phins.

"espn train of thought"... not that i dwell in the past, just that people tend to easily forget... perfect example: LT having a great season, now they're talking about him being the "best RB of all time". he's not even halfway through his career. they already label him better than guys like Sanders, Simpson, Payton, Brown... come on. but, i guess it's easier to look at current stats then actually know about the sport.

when there's a close game, they're quick to label it "the greatest game of all time", ala USC/Notre Dame a few weeks back. all the more reason why i don't watch that network anymore. it's like one poster said here in a different thread - it's too hard for them to do any real work so they just run with what's hot and beat you with it til you're blue in the face.

the bills dolphins rivalry reigned supreme in the AFCE for so long, and now people don't care simply because the Pats are the better team. the Bills can't even beat the Pats. how does that make a rivalry? simply because one team is good? it makes no sense to me. do I like it if we beat NE, hell yes, i always have because they're a division rival - there's no denying it - but no matter how good the Pats and Jets will ever be in the future, the Bills/Phins is still the better, more significant rivalry, IMO, just because of what it has always been, not what it currently is. there were always close games, both teams won their share during the 80's/90's... when have the Bills beaten the Pats during their Super Bowl stretch with exception to the home opener a few years back?

can anyone honestly tell me that the Pats/Bills rivalry is more important just because the Pats are good and we suck... as oppossed to the 90's when the Phins/Bills met in the playoffs year after year or had great, meaningful regular season games that actually meant something down the stretch?

that makes a great rivalry to me... holding out hope that we don't get embarassed at foxboro then choke at home, doesn't.

I get what youre saying and the general feel of many older posters, but to beat the Dolphins, offers me no consolation. I don't hate anyone on the Dolphins at all. On the other hand I HATE TOM BRADY. I want to beat the Patriots more than anyone and pummel that ****er into the turf. So thats how i feel. To win a meaningless game in December against another bottom feeder does nothing for me. Divisional/historical rival or not. I'm sure it'll come back, but its not a "must buy" game for me anymore. Before every season i'd always buy the "MIAMI game" but it doesn't matter any more to me man! Its not the same. 11 bums on either side is boring shoddy football.

Samphin1
12-01-2005, 07:39 PM

Just trying to keep the rivalry alive! This is nothing compared to my hate for the San Francisco Giants though. (I am a Dodgers fan) I go out of my way to torment those clowns!

Cntrygal
12-01-2005, 07:52 PM
I

HATE

the

fish.

:squish:

Devin
12-01-2005, 07:57 PM

:bf1: I feel the same.

If we go 2-14 in a season but those wins are against the fins......its not a complete waste.