PDA

View Full Version : Found this on another board...ESPN: Douglas probably going to Buffalo

4thAndLong
01-18-2003, 12:55 PM
He didn't have a link, he just saw it on ESPN.

I doubt this is true though.

BambinoSux
01-18-2003, 01:14 PM
It's sorta true. Peter King implied that much on HBO. He did say he didn't expect the Eagles to retain him though.

JefftheBillsfan
01-18-2003, 01:34 PM
We still need a WLB and a DT more IMO. Maybe even a FS.

ArcticWildMan
01-18-2003, 01:41 PM
Are you talking about Hugh Douglas?? Wow!!! I'm surprised Philly would even consider letting him go!! :eek:

lordofgun
01-18-2003, 01:50 PM
That would ROCK! I love Huge Douglas!

SoCalBillsFan
01-18-2003, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by JefftheBillsfan
We still need a WLB and a DT more IMO. Maybe even a FS.

maybe, but douglas is a great player! I'd love to have him! this would be great if it were true

lordofgun
01-18-2003, 01:53 PM
Just a note of caution though. Now that Buffalo has TONS of room to sign people, they are probably going to be rumored to be interested in ANY LB, S, DT, or DE that is available.

JefftheBillsfan
01-18-2003, 01:54 PM
log brings up a good point.

ArcticWildMan
01-18-2003, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by lordofgun
Just a note of caution though. Now that Buffalo has TONS of room to sign people, they are probably going to be rumored to be interested in ANY LB, S, DT, or DE that is available.

Party pooper!! :tongue:

4thAndLong
01-18-2003, 02:01 PM
But since we also have TONS of room, we'll probably be able to sign him. :D

Kicker22705
01-18-2003, 02:12 PM
how old is douglas?

4thAndLong
01-18-2003, 02:19 PM
He's in his 8th NFL year, and a big part of the eagle defense.

His last 3 seasons sack wise are (00-02)...15.0, 9.5, 12.5

venis2k1
01-18-2003, 02:22 PM
He is a big dude too, he can stop the run (unlike Schobel)

MissBuffalo
01-18-2003, 02:53 PM
I'd love if we picked up Hugh. I know that Marcus Jones can play DT, but his specialty is at end. So if we do pick up Douglas (assuming Jones will be playing end) do we sit Schobel and hinder his development or do we sit Jones who happens to be a former #1 pick with a 13 sack season in 2000??

MissBuffalo
01-18-2003, 02:54 PM
This is very hypothetical.

Typ0
01-18-2003, 02:59 PM
Did you play defensive line in high school MissBuffalo?

MissBuffalo
01-18-2003, 03:03 PM
LOL Typ0--um....no. Why's that?

Typ0
01-18-2003, 03:12 PM
You speak such intelligent defensive line talk.

ublinkwescore
01-18-2003, 03:26 PM
Put Schobel on one end, and Jones on the other end, and rotate Ahonatu in when ever Schobel or Jones need to catch their breath, and hydrate themselves. This should make Ahonatu better too - because he knows he'll only be in for a couple of plays at a time, he doesn't have to worry about exausting himself.

MissBuffalo
01-18-2003, 03:27 PM
LOL--thank you! It must be all the Madden 2003 I play. :D

It would be an amazing pick up, but I hope it wouldn't hinder us in getting other pressing needs also.

Ð
01-18-2003, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by lordofgun
That would ROCK! I love Huge Douglas!

Why thank you LOG, the respect is mutual ;)

lordofgun
01-18-2003, 04:21 PM
:rofl:

BADTHINGSMAN
01-18-2003, 07:24 PM
If we picked up Douglas, then why not throw some wieght on Schobel and try him at DT or put Ahonatu at DT? Schobel could share time with Jones.

Bert102176
01-18-2003, 08:01 PM
if we sign Hugh Douglas then trade Schobal for draft picks we may be able to get a 2nd rounder for him, heck trade Schobal our 2nd round pick our number 3 QB and a 6 or 7th round pick to the Bengals for their #1 then trade that to a team to move no further down then 12th in the 1st and get a bunch of picks.

Mr. Miyagi
01-18-2003, 08:32 PM
Imagine if we have Hugh Douglas AND Takeo Spikes, and not lose anyone good on our current roster.....:hungry:

Novacane
01-18-2003, 09:06 PM
It's a nice idea Bert but it's going to take a ton more than that to get Cinci's #1 pick from them

4thAndLong
01-18-2003, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by BledsoeTOreedfor6
It's a nice idea Bert but it's going to take a ton more than that to get Cinci's #1 pick from them

Well, it IS another way for Brown to save money, so you never know...

mush69
01-19-2003, 06:55 AM
If we send out our best salesman to offer Mike Brown a deal that Mike could save a few bucks from. He would bite, just get him thinking about what he would have to pay to sign a first pick.

:$: :$: :$: :$: :$: :$: It is all about the :$: :$: :$: :$: :$: :$: :$::$:

clumping platelets
01-19-2003, 06:59 AM
Schobel is a solid DE. If Jason Taylor can play the run at 245 why can't Schobel at 265-270. He just needs to learn better technique and gain experience.

Adding Hugh Douglass is a possibilty. Cap really isn't a concern as long as TD is careful. Spikes is likely to be "tagged" and the second best LB in FA is coming off shoulder surgery. Adding a pass-rusher like Douglass would make OLB a priority on draft day.

Michael82
01-19-2003, 08:53 AM
Oh man, that would be AWESOME!!! :up:

Get Douglas here, TD! Just what we need. A SACK leader! It's about time! Just rotate Schobel and Jones and if one of them shines in the offseason...trade them. :D

Buffarama
01-19-2003, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by mush69
If we send out our best salesman to offer Mike Brown a deal that Mike could save a few bucks from. He would bite, just get him thinking about what he would have to pay to sign a first pick.

:$: :$: :$: :$: :$: :$: It is all about the :$: :$: :$: :$: :$: :$: :$::$:

I like the way you think, purple name that I can't read. :shades:

PA Season Ticket Holder
01-19-2003, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by MissBuffalo
LOL--thank you! It must be all the Madden 2003 I play. :D

It would be an amazing pick up, but I hope it wouldn't hinder us in getting other pressing needs also.

A defensive end like Hugh Douglas is a pressing need. We need somebody who can come in here and wreak havoc on the QB. We can't rely on Jones who is coming off of surgery.

I don't see Schobel going anywhere. He is still young and can be a very good player. He has like 15 sacks his first 2 years, plus he is still under a cheap rookie contract for 2 more years. Even IF we signed Douglas and Jones came back as decent player, it still doesn't hurt to have good depth at DL. If we could rotate Jones, Schobel, Douglas, and either Ahonotu or Denny, that would be a pretty damn good line. They'd all stay fresh and wouldn't have to worry about missing a play because nobody else has your back.

Dozerdog
01-19-2003, 12:09 PM
Unless someone gives me a link, I have not seen a single shred of evidence on why he would leave the Eagles.

Talk about people going nuts on an ubsubstantiated rumor !

I have had ESPN on all morning, they have not said a single word. Hugh Douglas won't be a FA until 2004.

They have a Damien Douglas, WR - who is a FA. Does anyone you have a link to the post on the other board?

Those are not verboten here ;)

4thAndLong
01-19-2003, 12:13 PM
Hugh Douglas actually is a FA this season.

I think it was a clause in his contract that if he got a certain amount of sacks, hes a FA. Well, he got that amount.

Michael82
01-19-2003, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by PA Season Ticket Holder

A defensive end like Hugh Douglas is a pressing need. We need somebody who can come in here and wreak havoc on the QB. We can't rely on Jones who is coming off of surgery.

I don't see Schobel going anywhere. He is still young and can be a very good player. He has like 15 sacks his first 2 years, plus he is still under a cheap rookie contract for 2 more years. Even IF we signed Douglas and Jones came back as decent player, it still doesn't hurt to have good depth at DL. If we could rotate Jones, Schobel, Douglas, and either Ahonotu or Denny, that would be a pretty damn good line. They'd all stay fresh and wouldn't have to worry about missing a play because nobody else has your back.

Thats exactly what I was thinking! Gregg does like to rotate the DL a lot. That's one of the reasons why we had so many. Hugh Douglas would be a great guy to motivate the team in the locker room and would be an everydown starter except when he needs a rest. Schobel and Jones rotate and then Ahanotu rotates once in a while with Douglas. :D

Also, Douglas was on ESPN today and he seems like a great guy. He is the leader in the locker room and very vocal. He pumps the team up when they need it and could give the defense exactly the kind of player that they need to energize the line, along with the very vocal London Fletcher. We'll have a damn good D next year and Spikes will make it a top 3 D! :pray:

:up:

Dozerdog
01-19-2003, 12:23 PM
Posted on Mon, Dec. 02, 2002
http://www.philly.com/mld/inquirer/sports/4645345.htm
<h3>
Eagles Notes | Hugh Douglas earns shot at free agency</H3>
By Phil Sheridan
Inquirer Staff Writer

With his fourth-quarter sack of St. Louis quarterback Kurt Warner yesterday, Eagles defensive end Hugh Douglas took his last step toward free agency.

The sack was Douglas' second of the game and 10th of the season. By surpassing nine sacks, Douglas voided the final year of his contract. He will become a free agent after this season.

"That's the last thing on my mind," Douglas said after the game. "I'm a Philadelphia Eagle. That's all I'm thinking about right now."

Douglas' contract, signed in 1998, would have paid him $5 million in salary for 2003. The void is automatic. Douglas does not have an option to play out the final year. The clause, negotiated by agent Drew Rosenhaus and Eagles president Joe Banner, was designed to protect Douglas from outplaying the six-year contract.

Douglas' 10th sack wrapped up a piece of unfinished business from last season, when he had 91/2 sacks going into the Eagles' final regular-season game and could have triggered the clause with one more.

Because the last game was rendered meaningless when the Eagles clinched their playoff seeding a week earlier, coach Andy Reid rested a number of starters. Douglas was one of them, so he was unable to get that final sack.

Quarterback Donovan McNabb also sat out, even though he could have earned a $1 million bonus by throwing one more touchdown pass.

Michael82
01-19-2003, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by 4thAndLong
Hugh Douglas actually is a FA this season.

I think it was a clause in his contract that if he got a certain amount of sacks, hes a FA. Well, he got that amount.

Yup, there was a blurb about him being on the Bills radar in the latest issue of Shout!... :D Apparently, he is a Free Agent and is 32...but would definitely be worth it!

PA Season Ticket Holder
01-19-2003, 12:34 PM
That doesn't surprise me they didn't play when McNabb is gong for a 1 million dollar bonus, and Douglas could've been a FA. I'd sit them too.

colin
01-19-2003, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by clumping platelets
Schobel is a solid DE. If Jason Taylor can play the run at 245 why can't Schobel at 265-270. He just needs to learn better technique and gain experience.

Adding Hugh Douglass is a possibilty. Cap really isn't a concern as long as TD is careful. Spikes is likely to be &quot;tagged&quot; and the second best LB in FA is coming off shoulder surgery. Adding a pass-rusher like Douglass would make OLB a priority on draft day.

Aaron is improving and can play the run fairly well, his job is to get up field and contain, better OLB is what we need, that is who the ball is supposed to flow too. Aaron, hugh, and Jones would be a great top 3 set of DEs, remember when we had Wiley, Smith, and Hanson? Depth is GOOD, don't trade away good young players.

Judge
01-19-2003, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by Dozerdog
Unless someone gives me a link, I have not seen a single shred of evidence on why he would leave the Eagles.

Talk about people going nuts on an ubsubstantiated rumor !

I have had ESPN on all morning, they have not said a single word. Hugh Douglas won't be a FA until 2004.

They have a Damien Douglas, WR - who is a FA. Does anyone you have a link to the post on the other board?

Those are not verboten here ;)

Thank you- this is a lame rumor w/o even a link to try to back it up.

Judge
01-19-2003, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by Mike32282

Yup, there was a blurb about him being on the Bills radar in the latest issue of Shout!... :D Apparently, he is a Free Agent and is 32...but would definitely be worth it!

He'll be on everyone's radar.

MissBuffalo
01-20-2003, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by Judge
Thank you- this is a lame rumor w/o even a link to try to back it up.

See dozer's 2nd post. He found a link there.

Eagles Notes | Hugh Douglas earns shot at free agency

By Phil Sheridan
Inquirer Staff Writer

With his fourth-quarter sack of St. Louis quarterback Kurt Warner yesterday, Eagles defensive end Hugh Douglas took his last step toward free agency.

The sack was Douglas' second of the game and 10th of the season. By surpassing nine sacks, Douglas voided the final year of his contract. He will become a free agent after this season.

MissBuffalo
01-20-2003, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by Mike32282
Gregg does like to rotate the DL a lot.

IMO this is stupid. I thought it was stupid the entire year. Why take out good players like Pat Williams, who on a number of occasions was upset on the sideline from being taken out of the game, and disrupt the flow of the defense?? If I'm the coach, I want my best players in the game for as long as they can do it (obviously substituting when necessary).