PDA

View Full Version : Bills and the 2006 salary cap.

Yasgur's Farm
12-02-2005, 06:13 PM
http://www.wgr550.com/column.php?id=0256

In terms of salary cap moves to clear space, if the Bills cut Williams before June 1st, they would reportedly save 3.5 million dollars. Releasing Moulds would clear out about 5.7 million dollars of cap room. It appears Sam Adams may be playing his last season as a Bill. If so, the team would save around 2.9 million by letting him go.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Let's throw Lawyer Milloy, Troy Vincent and Chris Villarial on the heap as well. I don't mind a player being older with diminishing skills and getting top 10 dollar. But the intangible a team needs in return is leadership. None of the players listed here can make that claim.

In addition... The Bills need to switch to a 3 - 4 defense and restruture Posey's $2.2M cap number

ParanoidAndroid
12-02-2005, 10:21 PM
Bah!

No way can this defense afford to lose both safeties and no way can we give up our best guard.

Go look at what Dallas had to do in the offseason to make the switch to the 3-4.

Think about it. We have to resign Clements or replace him, resign Crowell who is going to demand a mid level, multi-year contract. Then, in your scenario, we would have to replace both safeties, replace our best guard on top of the other positions on the O-line, find a FA to replace Adams, find a replacement for Moulds, get LB's for proper depth in a 3-4, and get a new DC that can run the new defense.

All we need to do after dealing with clements and Crowell is replace Adams, draft a SS to play behind Milloy, and play Baker more often at FS. We could use more speed at LB. On O, we need a guard and a Tackle. Villarreal is fine. Every effort should be made to restructure Moulds.

clumping platelets
12-02-2005, 10:36 PM
Duplicate thread in salary cap forum

:ontome:

Yasgur's Farm
12-03-2005, 09:18 AM
Bah!

No way can this defense afford to lose both safeties and no way can we give up our best guard.

Go look at what Dallas had to do in the offseason to make the switch to the 3-4.

Think about it. We have to resign Clements or replace him, resign Crowell who is going to demand a mid level, multi-year contract. Then, in your scenario, we would have to replace both safeties, replace our best guard on top of the other positions on the O-line, find a FA to replace Adams, find a replacement for Moulds, get LB's for proper depth in a 3-4, and get a new DC that can run the new defense.

All we need to do after dealing with clements and Crowell is replace Adams, draft a SS to play behind Milloy, and play Baker more often at FS. We could use more speed at LB. On O, we need a guard and a Tackle. Villarreal is fine. Every effort should be made to restructure Moulds.Let's have a look at how we fill the void... obviously there will be a few dollars to play with...

'O' Tackle - It's obvious at this point that Jason Peters and Mike Gandy make a fine pair of bookends. But I believe (due to the lack of FA guards) the Bills will be forced to move Gandy to LG. I say we grab FA's Tom Ashworth or Mike Pearson. I'd also like to spend a 4th rounder on a depth player.

Interior 'O' line - Huge issues here. OK, so maybe we keep Villarial. Maybe I'm being a bit to harsh on him. But he's a vet, and between him and Teague, they don't provide the leadership this team so desperatly needs. I'm looking for Preston at center, Gandy at LG & probably Villarial remaining at RG. I'd resign Teague if he'll stay cheap. We should also spend a day 1 pick here.

Wide Receiver - Spend a 1st or 2nd rounder to obtain a big WR with good hands & speed (Eric Shelton or Matt Jones type). In addition, either Antwaan Randle El or Reggie Wayne would be a fine FA pickup.

'D' Tackle - The answer here is to switch to the 3-4. The rotation of Justin Bannan, Tim Anderson and Lauvale Sape will do fine (especially late in the game) while we develope a 3rd rounder. Of course, I'd be looking to keep the integrity of our linebackers intact by resigning Angelo Crowell and restructuring Jeff Posey's $2.2M cap figure.

Safety - Rashad Baker starts. That's not much of a drop off from a declining Troy Vincent. I'll be looking for a high day 1 pick to replace Lawyer Milloy. Keep Coy Wire as backup. To be honest, I haven't looked to see who might be available as a FA. I'm OK with a drop off at these positions because Vincent and Milloy are declining fast and will probably show considerable drop off next season.

ParanoidAndroid
12-03-2005, 01:28 PM
I don't understand why people want Milloy gone. Coy Wire is a liability on passing downs. He is not very good at all except in run support. We need someone who can do both. Right now, that's Milloy. If anything, we should look at SS in the 3rd round and let Wire go.
Milloy and Fletcher were fine when we had DTs that could engage linemen and not let them blow through to the LB's and SS. They are getting older, so we should look at those 2 positions in the draft.
None of those DT's you mention are NT players. They cannot point up a 3-4. We would have to get someone to replace Adams or we would be even softer up the middle than we already are.

Day one picks, in my opinion, should be spent on DT, OL, LB, and SS. If someone at WR like Greg Lee is a good value pick when we are up, I say take him. If not, a second day WR with prototypical size and speed will be fine.

On a side note....I can't wait to see Drew Olsen play today. He's going to be a steal for someone in this year's draft.

quadracer
12-03-2005, 01:37 PM
we need a top notch center not teague hopefully we could get hutchinson from seattle to play guard get rid of mike williams troy vincent and jeff posey draft a corner in the second round to replace nate cause he will ask for to much money crowell can replace posey draft a dt with are 1 draft and with are 2 #3 rounders we draft a free safety and a guard for depth

footballhottie
12-03-2005, 03:02 PM
i say we trash our center too while were are at it...and dump that ugly rookie that was giving me lip one day.

ParanoidAndroid
12-03-2005, 09:15 PM
we need a top notch center not teague hopefully we could get hutchinson from seattle to play guard get rid of mike williams troy vincent and jeff posey draft a corner in the second round to replace nate cause he will ask for to much money crowell can replace posey draft a dt with are 1 draft and with are 2 #3 rounders we draft a free safety and a guard for depth

Welcome to the zone!

Your ideas aren't bad. What I would like to see though, is some punctuation. :D

HHURRICANE
12-03-2005, 10:04 PM
I don't understand why people want Milloy gone. On a side note....I can't wait to see Drew Olsen play today. He's going to be a steal for someone in this year's draft.

Milloy is slow and he can't make an open field tackle. That's why people want him gone. Because he sucks!!!!!:yucky:

wchutalkinboutwillis
12-03-2005, 10:23 PM
Milloy and Vincent have both taken a sharp downward turn this year. I saw a marked difference when Baker filled in for Vincent a couple of weeks ago. Too bad Mularkey didn't have the balls to keep Baker in as the starter. Milloy has the heart but he has quickly and quietly become a complete and total non-factor on D. Has he even broken up a pass this year? With that said. he's still much better in pass coverage than Wire. That's a little scary. Beat the Phish tomorrow and I'll love em' both and urge for extensions.

ParanoidAndroid
12-04-2005, 02:38 AM
Milloy is slow and he can't make an open field tackle. That's why people want him gone. Because he sucks!!!!!:yucky:

I couldn't disagree more. He is 2nd on the team in solo tackles with 59. The reason he is having a hard time this year is mostly because he has no help from our interior D-line. Our leading tackler at DT is Bannan with 13 solos. That is horrific. No one is slowing down runners at the LOS. When a team can't execute at the LOS, it makes everyone else look bad too. That goes for both sides of the ball.

northernbillfan
12-04-2005, 03:26 AM
Duplicate thread in salary cap forum
:ontome:Duplicate or not, no-one breaks the cap down like you do.
Thoughts?

clumping platelets
12-04-2005, 04:07 AM
I'm still digesting the numbers :type:

northernbillfan
12-04-2005, 04:10 AM
I thought I heard the abacus spinning.