PDA

View Full Version : Mike Nugent Update

Lexwhat
12-03-2005, 06:54 AM
Now, I was never really a Lindell supporter or a Mike Nugent supporter. Nor am I trying to rub anything in anyone's face. But Nugent's year is not all that great. At least not better than Lindell's.

Rian Lindell Stats:
(20-29 Yards) 3/4
(30-39 Yards) 9/10
(40-49 Yards) 7/9
(50+ Yards) 2/2
Kickoff Average (64 Yard Average, 2 Touchbacks, 2 Tackles.)

Mike Nugent Stats:
(20-29 Yards) 5/6
(30-39 Yards) 3/3
(40-49 Yards) 4/6
(50+ Yards) 0/2
Kickoff Average (63.9 Yard Average, 1 Touchback, 1 Tackle.)

The biggest complaint for Lindell was his 40+ Yard Field Goal Kicks. Looks like he is certainly better than Nugent in that category. Fact is, if Lindell was 0/2 beyond 50 yards, there would be a lot of anger here.

Again, I'm not saying we should have drafted Nugent and nor did I say Lindell was the right choice. I didnt know much about Nugent so I didn't say anything. But we should all give Lindell credit for a great season so far.

And the most important stat: Lindell has 2 tackles on the year compared to a measly 1 tackle for Nugent. What a pussy that Nugent is.

Jan Reimers
12-03-2005, 07:10 AM
Lindell has been better than Nugent and one of the real pleasant surprises in an otherwise very disappointing season. I think the new long snapper Schneck has helped quite a bit, and Lindell - with a number of games under his belt - seems to have a better handle on the Ralph's swirling winds.

I definitely wouldn't waste our scarce resources pursuing a new kicker this offseason.

TigerJ
12-03-2005, 08:05 AM
I think the "Lindell is a bum" days are behind us now.

gr8slayer
12-03-2005, 09:06 AM
Im so glad we didnt draft that joke.

Mr. Miyagi
12-03-2005, 09:11 AM
Don't we have a poster named Lindell Sucks I think? We can change your name for ya. :up:

G. Host
12-03-2005, 09:40 AM
And the most important stat: Lindell has 2 tackles on the year compared to a measly 1 tackle for Nugent. What a pussy that Nugent is.

If you observe Lindell on the field during the game you will see that on kickoffs he seems disappointed that he does not get much of a chance to tackle anyone. He runs down the field and takes his 'safety' position but the cover teams have been so good he rarely gets to even get into the fray. Such are the problems of a kicker who is 6'5" and wants to really pummel one of these mighty mite kick returners!

HHURRICANE
12-03-2005, 09:46 AM
Im so glad we didnt draft that joke.

Nugent is going to be a kicker in this league for a long time. He's a rookie and his stats don't look too bad! Wait til Lindell has to make a game winning kick. He's a bum.

Jan Reimers
12-03-2005, 10:02 AM
Nugent is going to be a kicker in this league for a long time. He's a rookie and his stats don't look too bad! Wait til Lindell has to make a game winning kick. He's a bum.
There have been a lot of bums on this team this year. Lindell has not been one of them.

I think Lindell should br credited for turning things around and having as fine a season as anyone on this team.

Lexwhat
12-03-2005, 11:49 AM

Mike Nugent could improve, but it could be argued that he cost the Jets 2 games this year, and almost 3.

The first one, where the Jets won 14-12 over the Bucs, Nugent missed 2 field goals (40 yarder, 48 Yarder). If Lindell missed those, you might have said we won in spite of our kicker (Just a guess).

Second, he missed a 51 yard field goal in the 1st quarter against the Chargers where the Jets lost 31-26. If you remember that game, the Jets were close to winning it. They were in the red zone in the final minute of the game. If Nugent made that 1st kick, the Jets could have kicked a field goal at the end of the game to win 32-31. (Of course, things could have played out differently, but if Lindell had the same situation, you might have said we lost cuz of him. Again, just a guess.)

Thirdly, Nugent missed a 53 Yarder last week at home versus the Saints with 15 seconds left in the game. The Jets lost 21-19. To his credit, 53 yards is pretty long. But if it was Lindell, it would have been "the guy cant make any long kicks." (Yes, just my guess).

Lindell deserves credit for his play this year, give it where it's due.

Sennsai
12-03-2005, 01:31 PM
Nugent is a rookie and the NFL balls are a major difference than the college balls. He will get better as the years progress and I expect him to be in the league 10-12 years.

AndreReed83
12-03-2005, 10:10 PM
I've loved the way Lindell has played this year, except for the KC game, so I'm not going to knock him. I think Nugent will be fine eventually, I definitely am glad we weren't the team that spent a second rounder on a kicker though.