PDA

View Full Version : Where do we go from here...

X-Era
12-04-2005, 05:46 PM
This game can be described in the simplest of terms.
<o:p> </o:p>
<!--[if !supportLists]-->1) <!--[endif]-->Winners win and losers lose. We have several overpaid vets who gave up at the half either on or off the field, and several times all year and are now simply collecting a check. That’s unacceptable, period.
<!--[if !supportLists]-->2) <!--[endif]-->There is ZERO veteran leadership or should I say the right type of mentality on this team. WE have watched this type of crappy lack of mental toughness for long enough. The vets allowed this team to just run in idol throughout the second half on D and just give this game away.
<!--[if !supportLists]-->3) <!--[endif]-->I have backed Mularkey because he seemed to bring mental toughness to the squad and demand the best. Today, he did not do his job and yell and scream early in the second half at critical times as this team made bad play after bad play for what seemed like forever and gift wrapped this game.
OK, Where do we go from here:
Lets start with what IS good enough:
<!--[if !supportLists]-->1) <!--[endif]-->QB- We may just have our franchise QB, finally. JP gets better every game and is playing very well right now. He does still make mistakes but also plays like a seasoned vet more often than not. At worst, we ride him for a few more years and see where we go. KH hasn’t gone ape sh_t after being benched. KH stays too. Mathews retires and we spend a <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">UFA</st1:place></st1:City> or 6 or 7<sup>th</sup> on another QB.
<!--[if !supportLists]-->2) <!--[endif]-->WR- Our #1 is Evans and its undisputed at this point. JP loves him, he is a deep threat with great hands. I feel confident that he can be our #1 option next year.
<!--[if !supportLists]-->3) <!--[endif]-->RB- McGahee let us down down the stretch but also has put 2 1000+ seasons in a row. I think he will become an elite RB with a better o-line.
<!--[if !supportLists]-->4) <!--[endif]-->ONE OT, I think it may be LT- Peters as I said before the season started is a darkhorse and may become one of the best in the league at T. He owned Jason Taylor today. His speed and athleticism project him well to LT. I think he starts there next season. Gandy has been a pleasant surprise but also isn’t getting younger. This is a spot to grab a draftee, probably a RT and probably in the 2<sup>nd</sup> round.
<!--[if !supportLists]-->5) <!--[endif]-->TWO, yes I said 2, CB’s- Both are very good. McGee is getting better against the pass but still isn’t world class there. He IS the best returner in the league though. Clements is a very very good corner. He flat out has done very little this year, and sucked in this game. But he is a very good corner still and they are hard to come by. I say keep them both. Who in the hell would we get if Clements leaves? Jimmy Williams from the draft, OK I can take that.
<!--[if !supportLists]-->6) <!--[endif]-->2 DE’s, yes its controversial again, but I like both Kelsay and Schobel. BOTH are very good and play even better together. Schobel is slowly getting better and better. He breaks 10 sacks this year and gets maybe 12-15 next year. I like us bringing in a situational pass rusher rather than a stud who will cost a fortune like Abraham or Taylor. Id Love Dumervil but we won’t get him.
<!--[if !supportLists]-->7) <!--[endif]-->Fletcher plus 2 BIG DT’s is just fine. You’d like to have a guy who can play BOTH in coverage AND against the pass. I will tolerate it for another year. Fletcher has had 2 career days in a row now. He can be very very good but we MUST get another big DT.
<!--[if !supportLists]-->8) <!--[endif]-->ONE OLB, Spikes may be the best OLB in the league and IS our best player right now.
What needs to change:
<!--[if !supportLists]-->1) <!--[endif]-->We have overpaid vets who under produce for what they collect in cash at this point. They are on the wrong side of 30 and will only get worse.
<!--[if !supportLists]-->2) <!--[endif]-->Donahoe built this team and has basically slowly eaten away at the talent on this team through perpetual grabs of benchwarmers, veteran has beens, and cuts of good young players. TD has to go. Plain and simple, he has put a perpetually mediocre squad on the field and nothing more. He has made some great draft moves McGahee, Evans, Losman, McGee, Clements, but also made bad ones like Denney, Reed, McFarland. He made great trades like a 1<sup>st</sup> out of Peerless, 3<sup>rd</sup> out of Henry, but also made bad ones like Bledsoe for a 1<sup>st</sup>. has made too many stupid moves in FA; Jennings, Pat Williams. He has to go.
<!--[if !supportLists]-->3) <!--[endif]-->Clements (OC) is gone and we should think long and hard about paying and getting a very good one, I don’t know who but it should be someone who will run zone blocking and will take advantage of a stud like McGahee. We have been quietly begging for quick slants, sweeps, but haven’t had enough of them.
<!--[if !supportLists]-->4) <!--[endif]-->Posey- getting older and doesn’t do ANYTHING. Id love a guy like Brooks or Hawk, But would be happy starting Crowell and developing AJ Nicholson, Spencer Havner, or Ernie Sims.
<!--[if !supportLists]-->5) <!--[endif]-->Milloy AND Vincent have flat out sucked this year, all year. I like us grabbing a SS in FA like Archuleta, or Marquand Manuel, and then drafting Pat Watkins at FS. Huff, Bing, and Blue are good as well.
<!--[if !supportLists]-->6) <!--[endif]-->A DT, I like us keeping <st1:place w:st="on">Adams</st1:place> for another year but I think we should grab a young big DT from FA and then draft another one to learn for a year and start the year after. Wroten is my favorite after Ngata. Later rounders are guys like Williams, Harris
<!--[if !supportLists]-->7) <!--[endif]-->We need no less than 2 interior o-lineman. I don’t mind keeping Villarial but we are gonna let Teague, a <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">UFA</st1:place></st1:City>, go after this year. We then will need an UPgrade at C, get a good one through FA that can start day one. At G, we can get a guy from BOTH FA and the draft. Lance Butler, Max Jean Giles, and C’s like Castillo, Mangold would be good pickups from the draft.
<!--[if !supportLists]-->8) <!--[endif]-->WR, Moulds is simply NOT worth being our top paid player anymore. Nor, is he our leader. We should offer him a chance to stay at a HUGE paycut, or he can retire or be cut. Now, we need a possession type who can handle hard thrown balls, Reggie Wayne would be perfect but may want #1 WR money. Randle El would be good too. Haggans from the draft would be perfect but may have trouble adjusting to the hard throws from Losman and needs to gain upper body strength. Nance is a stud and will go very early. I also like Greg Lee.
<!--[if !supportLists]-->9) <!--[endif]-->Mike Williams needs to be cut. Plain and simple, he cant stay healthy and is too up and down to be worthy of being our 2<sup>nd</sup> highest paid player. He is as good as gone.
<!--[if !supportLists]-->10) <!--[endif]-->TE- We should get a bonafide receiving TE. <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Campbell</st1:place></st1:City>, Euhus are just adequate. Id love to see us land a guy like Marcedes Lewis or Vernon Davis if he comes out. Id love a Shockey or Gates type on this squad. Maybe its <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:City w:st="on">Everett</st1:City></st1:place> but he hasn’t played so who knows.
Overall, with a GM change to maybe Modrak, we get a guy who has drafted guys like Hines Ward, Donovan McNabb, and Corey Simon and brought in FA’s like Jeremiah Trotter. Id give him a shot and keep the front office partially in tact. I also think we can make a big splash through my aforementioned releases, cap cash, the draft, and some big name pickups. I think we can compete for a solid playoff berth or the division title with a very good offseason. But we must pay for top notch talent and stop looking for the bargain basement players. We have been torched by thos emoves over and over. BTW, if the player isnt good enough to start here or elsewhere, thats a good hint that he wont do much more as OUR starter either, DUHHH. We MUST gut some of the dead weight fan favorties or not, and reinvest in young studs. There are guys who can upgrade your team every year in FA and in the draft. We simply need to be willing to invest in those guys and quit spanking the monkey while look at who black our salary spreadsheet is.

TD gone, Modrak new GM, MM stays for one more, BIG gutting of Posey, Milloy, Vincent, Mike Williams, and a DRASTIC cut or be cut from Moulds, good draft, resign Clements, a zone blocking scheme and decent O coord. It can be done, let beg Ralph to get it started.