PDA

View Full Version : The consensus around the league is that TD should be taking a lot of heat

Kerr
12-04-2005, 06:28 PM
I found this at cbs sportsline.

In the past couple of weeks we've heard the same thing from several league personnel men. When is Tom Donahoe going to start taking heat in Buffalo? When the Bills hired Donahoe in 2001 as the general manager and president, it was thought that he would bring a playoff contender back to Orchard Park. Instead, the Bills are 4-7 and haven't been to the playoffs in his tenure. "For some reason that guy gets a pass," said one team's personnel director. "At some point, doesn't he have to be held accountable?" The Bills finished 9-7 last season, which made many think they'd be ready to make a playoff push. Instead, they're one of the league's disappointments. When Donahoe fired Gregg Williams after three seasons and replaced him with Mike Mularkey, there was talk that he acted too soon, that some of his personnel moves were the reason Williams couldn't succeed. We always believed Donahoe had what it took to build a contender, but the proof is in the record. Maybe some of those personnel directors who now look at the 4-7 team have a right to wonder. The decision to trade a 2004 first-round pick to draft quarterback J.P. Losman is the one move that stands out in the Donahoe era. Losman has woefully underachieved. It also doesn't help that tackle Mike Williams, the fourth player taken in the 2002 draft, is now playing guard. It's usually not a wise move to use No. 4 overall picks on guards. That isn't to say Donahoe hasn't hit on many of his picks and signings. In fact, right tackle Jason Peters, who took over for Williams, was not drafted out of Arkansas. He played tight end in college, but at 310 pounds. Now that he's playing tackle, he has outstanding feet. He did a solid job on Julius Peppers last week against Carolina. Peters has always been a guy we've followed since that draft. We had him listed as one of our better-than players that year -- you can look it up -- with the idea he could move to tackle. It's always nice to see one of those work out in your favor -- to offset the many that don't.

TD has struck out more than he's hit gold with personnel decisions. It clear that buffalo fans are not the only ones to see this.

Novacane
12-04-2005, 07:09 PM
TD deserves a ton of blame but the writer saying Losman has "woefully underachieved" is absurd. He's started a grand total of 7 games and is starting to show signs of improvement. If would be nice if these guys thought before they wrote

TigerJ
12-04-2005, 08:33 PM
I agree, TD deserves some heat, but I also agree the apparent need for people to rag on Losman is downright bizarre. Yes, he needs to sharpen up on some things. The interception was clearly his fault. Had he thrown more to the outside he had a chance for the touchdown. Maybe a veteran QB is a little more careful on that play, but Losman has a world of talent, and I think that he is growing by leaps and bounds now. I think next season he is going to be a very good QB. If the Bills start building some offensive line talent around him, the Bills offence is going to be nearly unstoppable. Still, the fact that the Bills are not further along than they are has to fall on TD.

wchutalkinboutwillis
12-04-2005, 09:22 PM
You're right. That INT was JP's fault and it was the turning point of the game. However, if he had the chance to plant his feet and follow through, the ball probably would've been caught. JP did his job today. Evans was a contributing benefactor. Everyone else decided to watch and celebrate at the start of the 2nd qrtr. Jerry Gray was the head cheerleader.

Devin
12-04-2005, 09:29 PM
You're right. That INT was JP's fault and it was the turning point of the game. However, if he had the chance to plant his feet and follow through, the ball probably would've been caught. JP did his job today. Evans was a contributing benefactor. Everyone else decided to watch and celebrate at the start of the 2nd qrtr. Jerry Gray was the head cheerleader.

That play shouldnt have been called to begin with. ON the 3?

3 straight rushes, even if we dont get in a FG wins us the game.

Kerr
12-04-2005, 09:35 PM
That play shouldnt have been called to begin with. ON the 3?

3 straight rushes, even if we dont get in a FG wins us the game.

Agreed. Mularkey was just pushing his luck with a weak O-line in the redzone. He got greedy. For a moment he must have thunk he had Indy's O-line in there.

JJamezz
12-04-2005, 09:38 PM
The only people 'woefully underachieving' are fools like this talking trash about JP. Out of all the positions in the NFL, even a complete moron would know better than to make a statement like that after 7 games... Sometimes it's so utterly hard to believe they get paid for that crap.

Personally, I think these media guys don't like JP because of his so called ego, which I have yet to see btw.. Not that they have either... they just jump on whatever story is hot at the time, and now they're trying to pull an 'I told you so'

Kerr
12-04-2005, 09:41 PM
This was a part of prisco's notebook. I believe it was written before today's game. I'd figure he'd change tune after today's performance by Jp.