PDA

View Full Version : Losman Watch Continues ...

ghz in pittsburgh
12-05-2005, 08:28 AM
Well well well, I'm seeing Losman entering the phase of doing something that win games for a team and something losing games for a team, a typical middle phase for a young QB.

Those 3TDs in the first Qtr are a first for him. I always believe success brings more confidence and more success. He's doing look offs, reading the coverages, and lastly trusting his arm (aka the last TD pass). Also a number of slant route passes were much better than he did in the past - they are not perfect, like the own end pass to Aiken still a bit high, and the Roscoe drop being too close to his body - those were important in beating blitz when the middle of the field is open. Also he made the right attack on at least two corner blitz, one he tried to throw to Moulds to the right but off target and one to Evans to the left but Evans moved upfield on a different read. He also showed better judgement in using his feet.

Looking over that list, I have to admit he made another step forward yesterday, a bigger step than he showed before - I might add.

On the other hand, he also made two critical mistakes, a fumble and an INT. The INT is arguably the turning point of the game. I really don't fault him for throwing that INT. He's having success out there and he trusted his decision and arm. Now had he thrown the ball high and further out, Reed would catch it for a TD. But the more subtle point is game managing, something that does not always show up in stats sheet but so important in winning as in Roethlisberger's case. As a QB, Losman needs to have a feel of the game and knows what is best to win a game. A TD there sure finishes the Dolphins off. But a field goal could very well suffice as it makes a 4 score game for them. With that in mind, you don't throw into tight coverage to risk an INT.

To be honest, I expect him making the same kind of mistakes again: young, confident, thinking they can do it all. But at least he got the first taste of what a mistake like that did to the team. And that gets him on the learning curve now.

If remember correctly, Carson Palmer was making similar kind of mistakes in the middle of last season. He still does now and then but a lot less frequently. Losman is just entering that stage now. I can only hope that he comes out of that stage like Palmer did.