• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ebenezer
    Give me a minute...
    • Jul 2002

Turning the time machine to April 20, 2002 - who to draft? Mike Williams

A lot of us are convinced Mike Williams is a bust or at the best a marginal lineman (not even sure of the position he should play). That draft, imo, sucked. If not MW then who? Take a look at the list. Julius Peppers really was the best talent in that draft. I wanted Roy Williams (Mikey82 can confirm). I still say that TD wanted Harrington and then got blindsided by Detroit. Hence the trade for Bledsoe.

There are some hits and some misses. Who was deserving of the 4th overall? I would hazard to say Dwight Freeney or Ed Reed. As it was nobody had either projected in the top 10.

1. Houston David Carr QB Fresno State
    2. Carolina Julius Peppers DE North Carolina
    3. Detroit Joey Harrington QB Oregon
    4. Buffalo Mike Williams OT Texas
    5. San Diego Quentin Jammer CB Texas
    6. Kansas City (from Dallas) Ryan Sims DT North Carolina
    7. Minnesota Bryant McKinnie OT Miami (Fla)
    8. Dallas (from Kansas City) Roy Williams SS Oklahoma
    9. Jacksonville John Henderson DT Tennessee
    10. Cincinnati Levi Jones OT Arizona State
    11. Indianapolis Dwight Freeney DE Syracuse
    12. Arizona Wendell Bryant DT Wisconsin
    13. New Orleans Donte Stallworth WR Tennessee
    14. NY Giants (from Tennessee) Jeremy Shockey TE Miami (Fla)
    15. Tennessee (from NY Giants) Albert Haynesworth DT Tennessee
    16. Cleveland William Green RB Boston College
    17. Oakland (from Atlanta) Phillip Buchanon CB Miami (Fla)
    18. Atlanta (from Washington through Oakland) T.J. Duckett RB Michigan State
    19. Denver Ashley Lelie WR Hawaii
    20. Green Bay (from Seattle) Javon Walker WR Florida State
    21. New England (from Tampa Bay through Oakland and Washington) Daniel Graham TE Colorado
    22. NY Jets Bryan Thomas DE Alabama-Birmingham
    23. Oakland Napolean Harris OLB Northwestern
    24. Baltimore Edward Reed S Miami (FLA)
    25. New Orleans (from Miami) Charles Grant DE Georgia
    26. Philadelphia Lito Sheppard CB Florida
    27. San Francisco Mike Rumph CB Miami (Fla)
    28. Seattle (from Green Bay) Jerramy Stevens TE Washington
    29. Chicago Marc Colombo OT Boston College
    30. Pittsburgh Kendall Simmons OG Auburn
    31. St. Louis Robert Thomas MLB UCLA
    32. Washington (from New England) Patrick Ramsey QB Tulane

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.
  • Fairway
    • Jul 2002

Re: Turning the time machine to April 20, 2002 - who to draft? Mike Williams

I don't even fault TD for that pick. A lot of people thought MW would be a stud and OL was a huge need. In hindsight Levi Jones has turned out to be the best OL but Cinci was ridiculed for taking him at #10 so he was not an option. TO bad we could not have traded down and taken Feeney.

Comment

• justasportsfan
      • Jul 2002

At 11, Freeney was a steal.
      sacrifice1
      https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• Fairway
        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by justasportsfan
        At 11, Freeney was a steel.

He would have been a steal at #4. To bad we can't see the future

Comment

• FinFan
          • Oct 2005

Ed Reed is a BEAST as well. I wish he was a Dolphin.

Comment

• Billsouth
            • Jul 2002

many people wanted us to take roy williams. now i wish we had.
            "once a raider always a raider"

Comment

• Stewie
              Sarah Palin for President... of my pants!
              • Aug 2002

I would take dwight freeny over anyone else and that includes peppers.
              Originally posted by Topdog
              Damn , your're showing you're ignorance!
              Originally posted by mercyrule
              I love Weiner.
              Originally posted by mercyrule
              also cheese

Comment

• Lexwhat
                • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Fairway
                I don't even fault TD for that pick. A lot of people thought MW would be a stud and OL was a huge need. In hindsight Levi Jones has turned out to be the best OL but Cinci was ridiculed for taking him at #10 so he was not an option. TO bad we could not have traded down and taken Feeney.

Exactly! A lot of people are going to whine and complain about the MW pick. But any 10 year old can say "oh we should have gotten this player instead" after seeing that player succeed for so many years.

Freeney was not a consensus top 10 pick. At that time, O-Line was a major need and it was basically between McKinnie and Williams. If you look at history, many top 10 picks do not live up to expectations. That year, it just wasn't our luck.

But TD has generally been successful with 1st round picks during his tenure here.

Comment

• Phincinatti Phinz
                  • Dec 2005

It's nice to wish of going back and making different movies.

How I'd love to take back the Eddie Moore, Jamar Fletcher picks.

Thank god you guys didn't get Freeney or Reed.

Comment

• rsmithgi
                    • May 2003

The player to take was clearly McKinnie. He is almost finished with his third full year of starting at LT on an offense that has been pretty good. He played LT in college (unlike Williams who played RT). MW was never going to be quick enough to play LT in the pros. You don't draft a RT at #4.

I don't think anyone anticipated a bust of this magnitude, but IMO there was a better choice sitting there for TD and he blew it.

Comment

• Earthquake Enyart
                      Legendary Zoner
                      • Jul 2002

I wanted Roy Williams.

That way we could have passed on Milloy later and spent some money somewhere else.

Comment

• rsmithgi
                        • May 2003

Originally posted by justasportsfan
                        At 11, Freeney was a steal.
                        The irony is that Polian should still be the GM of the Bills.

Comment

• JWatts
                          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by rsmithgi
                          The player to take was clearly McKinnie. He is almost finished with his third full year of starting at LT on an offense that has been pretty good. He played LT in college (unlike Williams who played RT). MW was never going to be quick enough to play LT in the pros. You don't draft a RT at #4.
                          I don't think anyone anticipated a bust of this magnitude, but IMO there was a better choice sitting there for TD and he blew it.
                          Actually Mike Williams played with Simms who is left handed so he actually played LT being he protected the blind side. But at the time we needed a OT we got who was rated by almost every team at the best one on the board.

Comment

• rsmithgi
                            • May 2003

Originally posted by JWatts
                            Actually Mike Williams played with Simms who is left handed so he actually played LT being he protected the blind side. But at the time we needed a OT we got who was rated by almost every team at the best one on the board.
                            It doesn't matter, he was a RT. He had never played the left side of the OL in his college career. I think McKinnie was ranked higher on most draft boards that I saw because he played LT in college.

Look at where they ended up in the pros (at least until MW was demoted to LG), McKinnie at LT and MW at RT.

Comment

• Hounds
                              • Mar 2004

Jermey Shockey would have been a nice player to have too. I think that teams with top 5 draft picks should trade down because if they are in the top 5 they need more then 1 good player and a mid round first usually is going to still be a good player.

Comment

Working...
                              X