X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Forward_Lateral
    • Mar 2004

Good Moves by TD in his tenure here

OK, before you start to bash me and call me a TD lover, let me set the record straight:

I think it's time to move on. Sometimes, no matter who you bring in as a GM, no matter how hard you try, things just don't work out. I think it's best for both parties, at this point, to move on. His ultimate demise might be his poor coaching choices, and his lack of attention to the O-line.

Now, that being said, here's some smart things TD has done for Buffalo:

--Re-signing Schobel. He's one of the most consistent players on Defense, always seems to have 10 sacks, and although he's not an elite DE, he's steady, works hard, and seems to get better each season. Good job on this one Tom.

---Trading Peerless Price. He's been a nothing since he left Buffalo, and his price tag was way too high for the Bills to swallow. Good job here too.

---Signing Takeo Spikes. How Cincinatti let him get away, I'll never know, another great move by TD.

----Getting London Fletcher. Undersized, Sam Mills like MLB, who is a tackling machine. Some consider him the heart and soul of this D, I wouldn't argue that.

---Re-signing McGee. This might prove to be his best move yet. McGee is improving as a corner, and remains the best KR in the NFL. Another good move TD.

Other moves that are over looked, from this past off-season:

Not signing LJ Shelton---he's a bum.

Not signing OG Rick DeMulling--- He's been a bust for the Lions so far, he lost his starting job in week 6. Would've been a huge waste of $$$. TD actually knew what he was doing in this case.

Not re-signing Jonas Jennings--- He hasn't seen the field for the 49ers, had season ending surgery before the season even started. Can't say anyone with half a brain couldn't see this coming.

Despite popular belief, Tom has made some very good decisions, unfortunately, he's also made some poor ones, but that's for another thread.
  • Devin
    The Octagon
    • Apr 2003

Re: Good Moves by TD in his tenure here

I cant argue to much with his personnel moves. While cheap and sometimes not as aggressive as he could be he does know a great deal about football and the players though.

Donahoe's problems are two fold:

1. Almost blatant refusal to hire a qualified coach. Essentially he has hired "Yes men" who have vastly under performed.

2. His inability to acknowledge the problems with the OL.

Bottom line, TD is a control freak as I am beggining to suspect Ralph is. Butler was never a Yes man, and I suspect Ralph is to TD what TD is to Mularkey.

Shame really.
    http://gridironjunkies.net/forums/index.php

Comment

• Forward_Lateral
      • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Devin
      I cant argue to much with his personnel moves. While cheap and sometimes not as aggressive as he could be he does know a great deal about football and the players though.

Donahoe's problems are two fold:

1. Almost blatant refusal to hire a qualified coach. Essentially he has hired "Yes men" who have vastly under performed.

2. His inability to acknowledge the problems with the OL.

Bottom line, TD is a control freak as I am beggining to suspect Ralph is. Butler was never a Yes man, and I suspect Ralph is to TD what TD is to Mularkey.

Shame really.
      I'm beginning to think Ralph doesn't care anymore. He needs to show the fans that he still cares, and won't accept losing teams. He needs to publically state that the O-line WILL be fixed in the offseason, no matter what has to be done. If TD isn't fired this off-season, and he again fails to improve the O-line by at least 2 competent starters, then I say fire him instantly. If I was Ralph, I wouldn't stand for this crap.

Comment

• dannyek71
        Drink Responsibly
        • Dec 2004

for every good move he makes, he makes 2 bad ones......

Whats his record the last 5yrs again? Thats the only # that needs to be stated
        [

Comment

• Drive 4 Five
          • May 2003

If Donahoe would fire Mike Mularkey and go out and get a qualified coach with experience, not rolling the dice with another coordinator, I could stand to give him one more year. Five years? Hell no. We need to be in the playoffs next season for him to retain his job IMO.

Comment

• RedEyE
            • Jul 2002

I don't think that bringing Bledsoe here to Buffalo was bad choice either. At the time our options were limited and his first year in Buffalo was definitly successful to a degree.

It seems to me that TD focuses more on best talent rather than piecing a team together. Polian knows how to piece a team together without breaking the bank. He did it in Buffalo, Carolina and now Indy.

Tom seems to lose focus. Bring in Bledsoe - fine, but you can't have a QB like Bledsoe without addressiung the OL. Drafting one tackle and grabbing an S-load of mediocre FA toss off trash. Patching a line together is one of the worst things you can do to a team. Again, especially when you have a stationary QB like Drew. Beef up the line. If the Bills had an OL like the Colts, 75% of the offenses problems go away.

Not signing Pat Williams = bad

Comment

• justasportsfan
              • Jul 2002

His mistakes outweigh his good moves which has caused this team to be a failure all these years. I couldn't care if he had Ryan Leaf , OJ Simpson and Romo as our top players as long as we're winning. No on cares that Jimmy Johnson had thugs playing for him in Dallas. All they remember are the sb rings.
              sacrifice1
              https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• EDS
                • Jan 2003

Originally posted by justasportsfan
                His mistakes outweigh his good moves which has caused this team to be a failure all these years. I couldn't care if he had Ryan Leaf , OJ Simpson and Romo as our top players as long as we're winning. No on cares that Jimmy Johnson had thugs playing for him in Dallas. All they remember are the sb rings.
                I care, and I bet there are alot of people who agree with me. To me, how the team wins is as important as how often it wins. If the choice was going to the playoffs with TO or not going without him I would take not going everytime.

Comment

• ScottLawrence
                  • Jan 2004

His crucial mistakes have been the offensive, and defensive lines, along with hiring crappy Head Coaches.

His had his turn long enough, its time for him to go.
                  You're right, I am a coward! I haven't any courage at all. I even scare myself.

Comment

• baalworship
                    • May 2003

My opinion on Tom Donahoe is that he is a good talent evaluator but has no idea on how to build a team. Maybe in an earlier era, Best Player Available works but in this salary cap age where players won't be locked to your roster forever you have to get people to fill all the holes and weaknesses on your roster.

Who does this best? The Pats. They don't get players that are significantly better in talent but Pioli works with the coach to ensure that they fill out the roster properly.

So as much as I like McGahee, Evans, Losman, Clements, Schobel, Jennings, Henry, McGee etc for where they were drafted Donahoe is not doing a good job of seeing the big picture. If you NEED a guard or whatever and there will not be a prospect you like at the position you are drafting YOU ARE ALLOWED TO MOVE UP OR DOWN to get the player you need.

So I want TD fired but I have no idea how Ralph will know if some prospective GM candidate will be any better at this.

Comment

• Fairway
                      • Jul 2002

He's made some good players moves. Even some of the ones that did not work out I don't hold against him. Every GM makes mistakes in player choices.
                      The biggest strikes against him are his 2 coaching hires IMO. When you compare the 2 bozes he chose against the people he passed over.................... unforgivable

Comment

Working...
                      X