PDA

View Full Version : Unecessary NFL Rules

mybills
01-19-2003, 09:07 AM
I was just watching ESPN on the topic of officiating in the NFL. They were talking about which rules should be changed/adjusted to take some of the pressure off of the refs. Since they didn't mention any specific rules, I got to thinking which ones I would like to see changed simply because they are useless. I'm sure you can think of a few too, but I'll go first...

I think maintaining control of the ball outside the line after you've already scored the touch down is stupid and useless. I think it never should have been added in the first place, as it serves no purpose other than to make the coaches & fans blood pressure rise more than it already does during a game.

Which one(s) would you like to see changed?

MelK
01-19-2003, 09:11 AM
Waiting 1 hour after eating before going swimming.

And I want to tear the tag off my mattress without the "Man" hassling me

mybills
01-19-2003, 09:18 AM
Does this mean you like all of the NFL rules as is, and you wouldn't change a thing?

MelK
01-19-2003, 09:27 AM
I hate the Pass interference that gets over ruled by "not a catchable ball"

It puts the onus on the QB to read a ref's mind and determine if he's going to call holding or interference. The QB, looking for his receiver, sees the defender hanging all over him. Unless he's Rob Johnson, the QB will then toss it over the WR/DB's head so it does not get intercepted.

The Refs then pick up the flag because the QB threw an "Uncatchable ball" Either the DB hung on to the WR or he didn't- how does the ref know if it was a catchable ball if the guy gets mauled downfiield?

MelK
01-19-2003, 09:29 AM
The Tuck rule needs to go.

I don't mind the catch rules- hang on to the damn ball. That's the idea.

mybills
01-19-2003, 09:45 AM
Those are good ones Melk. I wonder what they're going to do about running into the kicker. I think that one needs an adjustment too.

MelK
01-19-2003, 09:51 AM
Well, the reason they are more protective of kickers than they are of QBs is that Kickers/Punters are in the most vulnerable positions on the field.

With a leg extended over your head (following a kick follow- through) you don't want the kickers getting touched. However, they should introduce a diving/embellishing rule like they do in Hockey. Some of these kickers look like they got hit by a sniper or something.

I had no issues with the calls in Pittsburgh last week.

Michael82
01-19-2003, 09:57 AM
How about one from last year that screwed the Bills?

Get rid of the rule where the ball is made dead when a player who is partly out of bounds (even unconsious) touches the ball. Change it to something a little bit different. Or just eliminate the dead ball rule and change it to the fact that the ball has to go out of bounds to be dead (with or without the player).

mybills
01-19-2003, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by MelK

I had no issues with the calls in Pittsburgh last week.

I did, only for the reason that he was in mid air and you can't exactly stop yourself if your feet aren't on the ground. But on the other hand, it WAS bad timing by the defender trying to block it. But on the 3rd hand, a QB is just as vulnerable but it's ok to sack him. :huh:

MelK
01-19-2003, 10:01 AM
That is a great one, Mike.

Seems like all you have to coach your offensive players to do during a fumble on the sidelines is to touch the ball and make sure you have a foot or arm touching OUT OF BOUNDS to make the play dead and retain the ball.

MelK
01-19-2003, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by mybills

I did, only for the reason that he was in mid air and you can't exactly stop yourself if your feet aren't on the ground. But on the other hand, it WAS bad timing by the defender trying to block it. But on the 3rd hand, a QB is just as vulnerable but it's ok to sack him. :huh:

A QB has possession of the ball. He does not have his ankle over his head like a kicker does.

QBs have been protected the most- and it's a tough call on a lot of the roughing the passer plays. QBS can pass, fake or take off with it. A kicker is just kicking it.

Apples and oranges

Michael82
01-19-2003, 10:05 AM
EXACTLY MelK!

I also would push for the tuck rule to be changed or eliminated! Everyone is their right minds knew that Brady was not going to throw it! He was putting the ball in his arms to scramble with it!
:angry:ing Refs!!!

Michael82
01-19-2003, 12:08 PM
Define FREAKING pass interference and bring back offensive PI!

I don't remember seeing it called much at all. Moss, Owens and others got away with so much pushing and shoving. I would like to see the defensive pass interference more defined. I mean...heck, the Refs don't even know what is TRUE pass interference. :rolleyes:

Typ0
01-19-2003, 12:18 PM
Why do I have this image of players running down the sidelines out of bounds but holding the ball in bounds and scoring a TD?

I think they should enforce a rule all female fans below the age of 35 in the stadium must be topless. Those fans will get a reduced admission rate for incentive but then the NFL can get some camera's dedicated to covering the action in the stands and put out a pay per view broadcast each week. The revenues from the broadcast should more than cover the cost of installing 202 extra camera's in each stadium to better manage the replay.

Dozerdog
01-19-2003, 12:25 PM
But none will be pointed at the field

Typ0
01-19-2003, 12:45 PM
The 202 cameras would be dedicated to the replay. They would need a few more broadcast cameras for the pay per view that would be pointed into the stands.

Dozerdog
01-19-2003, 12:48 PM
Then they will have to hire 202 gay camera operators.

Typ0
01-19-2003, 12:55 PM
Because there would be blanket coverage on the field the cameras would be controlled remotely by three gay men...LOL.

Typ0
01-19-2003, 12:55 PM
But wait a minute...we need those cameras capturing action with the ball not players butts.

iceblizzard69
01-19-2003, 10:28 PM
Tuck rule
Rule that says it can't be Pass Interference if the ball is thought of as uncatchable

You should be allowed to challenge pass interference

mybills
01-20-2003, 03:19 AM
Originally posted by Dozerdog
But none will be pointed at the field

Actually, they WOULD be pointed at the field. But the fans would not see it because of one single, fat, womanizing, small minded man, blocking everyones view.

where the hell is that icon when you want it?

mybills
01-20-2003, 03:33 AM
Originally posted by Typ0
Why do I have this image of players running down the sidelines out of bounds but holding the ball in bounds and scoring a TD?

I think they should enforce a rule all female fans below the age of 35 in the stadium must be topless.

Because you misunderstood the point and we can't help you with that, because it was plainly put the first time and it can't get any plainer than that.

As for topless FEMALE fans under 35...

only if they have bottomless MALE fans over 40. ...

oh, there's that fat guy....the one who blocks the camera...:bigmike:

Typ0
01-20-2003, 04:48 AM
I didn't misunderstand the point at all. Someone said to make it so the ball going out of bounds would end the play instead of the player being out of bounds. I hate to break it to you but if you create that rule that means a player can run down the sidelines out of bounds and score a TD as long as the ball never goes out of bounds. Can you show me where I missed the point?

mybills
01-20-2003, 11:11 AM
I didn't misunderstand the point at all. Someone said to make it so the ball going out of bounds would end the play instead of the player being out of bounds. I hate to break it to you but if you create that rule that means a player can run down the sidelines out of bounds and score a TD as long as the ball never goes out of bounds. Can you show me where I missed the point?

Can you show me where someone said that? Or are you talking about something other than this thread? :scratch:

edit; I just read it again and
my bad Typ0, I misunderstood. I'm sorry. ;)

LABillsFan
01-20-2003, 11:30 AM
A rule I would like to see implemented is, if a punt goes out of bounds without landing inbounds first it's a five yard penalty.

DraftBoy
01-20-2003, 12:42 PM
Id like to see a definition of both DPI, and OPI. Receivers can push all day and CBs cant make contact unless they hit the ball.

Typ0
01-26-2003, 10:15 AM
No prob MyBills I'm easily misunderstood :)

WG
01-26-2003, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by MelK
I hate the Pass interference that gets over ruled by "not a catchable ball"

It puts the onus on the QB to read a ref's mind and determine if he's going to call holding or interference. The QB, looking for his receiver, sees the defender hanging all over him. Unless he's Rob Johnson, the QB will then toss it over the WR/DB's head so it does not get intercepted.

The Refs then pick up the flag because the QB threw an "Uncatchable ball" Either the DB hung on to the WR or he didn't- how does the ref know if it was a catchable ball if the guy gets mauled downfiield?

AMEN to that MelK! The guy gets mugged and held up at the 30 and the ball drops at the 20 and they say "uncatchable!" It simply further defines the intelligence of the refs who can't think in more than two dimensions.

Originally posted by Mike32282
Define FREAKING pass interference and bring back offensive PI!

I don't remember seeing it called much at all. Moss, Owens and others got away with so much pushing and shoving. I would like to see the defensive pass interference more defined. I mean...heck, the Refs don't even know what is TRUE pass interference. :rolleyes:

$$$$ More offense = more "excitement" to the average fan. More excitement = more $$$$

I wholeheartedly agree w/ you however.

I think they should enforce a rule all female fans below the age of 35 in the stadium must be topless. Those fans will get a reduced admission rate for incentive but then the NFL can get some camera's dedicated to covering the action in the stands and put out a pay per view broadcast each week. The revenues from the broadcast should more than cover the cost of installing 202 extra camera's in each stadium to better manage the replay.

LMAO Typ0!!

They may want to limit that to certain cities like the warmer weather climes. I'm not really sure people wanna see what Green Bay has to offer, or Detroit or K.C. :D

Originally posted by mybills
As for topless FEMALE fans under 35...

only if they have bottomless MALE fans over 40. ...

oh, there's that fat guy....the one who blocks the camera...:bigmike:

Over 40? :scratch: