X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Yasgur's Farm
    • Feb 2005

Bills can't afford 'O' line or DT in the 1st

Can you spell cap hell. How can anyone justify taking any 'O' lineman or DT in the 1st round. Have we not learned our lesson with the $9M the Bills pay Mike Williams.

1st round... A big speedy receiver with good hands... EMo is history as a Bill and we'll need some size opposite Lee Evans. In addition, look to pick up FA Antwaan Randle El or Reggie Wayne.

Lee Evans
    FA (Antwaan Randle El or Reggie Wayne)
    Rookie
    Roscoe Parish
    Josh Reed
    Sam Aiken

2nd round... A big speedy CB... No way does Nate Clements deserve what he'll be getting as a FA. We'll need size to offset McGee.

McGee
    King
    Rookie
    Greer
    Thomas

3rd round #1... Run stuffing DT... I believe we'll switch to a 3/4 'D' due to the emergence of Angelo Crowell. Resigning Posey for cheap will round out a good LB quad. A DT rotation of Bannan, Anderson, Sape and rookie will be adequate. Say goodbye to Sam Adams.

Bannan
    Anderson
    Rookie
    Sape

TKO
    Crowell
    Fletcher
    Posey
    Haggan
    Ezekiel
    Stamer

3rd round #2... A pass defender for SS... Coy Wire can handle the run aspect of that position. We'll bring the rookie in for obvious pass situations. Toodles to Lawyer Milloy and Troy Vincent. Baker starts at FS.

Wire
    Baker
    Rookie
    Leonhard

4th round... OL depth... There will be a fair number of decent FA OT's available. I say we pick one up and move Gandy to LG. In addition, Duke Preston starts at center. We'll resign Teague for cheap if we can. He'll make an excellent versatile backup.

FA
    Gandy
    Preston
    Villarial
    Peters
    Teague
    Geisinger
    Lawrence

Sure... I know we won't have the shut down 'D' we had last year... But it will be servicable and equally effective against the run and pass.

With these moves on the 'O'... we should experience some solid and balanced growth here.

Of course... throw it all out the window if we have a shot at Reggie Bush.
  • JefftheBillsfan
    • Jul 2002

Re: Bills can't afford 'O' line or DT in the 1st

are you serious?
    Its all about the quest.

Comment

• OpIv37
      Acid Douching Asswipe
      • Sep 2002

this team needs line help desperately. TD's plan of taking rejects from other teams and late round/undrafted FA's to "develop" hasn't worked at all (with the exception of Jason Peters). McGahee, Losman and Evans will never reach their full potential without adequate protection on O and a D that can get off the field.

If we have to pay first round $ to a lineman for either side of the ball, so be it. We can stay out of cap jail by cutting some dead weight in the form of useless overpaid vets (Vincent, Milloy, MOULDS, Adams, Mike Williams, Posey, Reed come to mind).
      MiKiDo Facebook
      MiKiDo Website

Comment

• DaBills
        • Sep 2004

If TD drops to the later rounds to get 'value' out of another line pick, I'm killin myself.

Either way, WR? Disagree. We absolutely need to build the OL.
        “The Bills: better than the record indicates.”

Comment

• Captain Obvious
          I can feel your anger.I can feel your hate. Give in to the DARK SIDE! With every neg you become MINE
          • Jul 2005

Picking a OT or a DT in the 1st Round and giving him a huge signing bonus doesn't have to be a problem if that player is eventually a Probowler. A WR taking in the 1st Round could just as easily be a bust as a OL like Mike Williams.

Here to point out the obvious....

Comment

• Devin
            The Octagon
            • Apr 2003

pass whatever it is your smoking around.
            http://gridironjunkies.net/forums/index.php

Comment

• HHURRICANE
              • Mar 2005

Originally posted by JefftheBillsfan
              are you serious?
              I just thought the same thing!!

Comment

• Scumbag College
                • Oct 2002

The Bills need to use three of their four Day 1 picks on the OL and DL. They would be well advised to use their first two picks on the lines. If we're drafting safeties and receivers before lineman, I'll kick the neighbor's dog in April.
                Remember Kevin Everett in your thoughts.

Vote Nader in 2008!

http://www.votenader.org/

Comment

• OpIv37
                  Acid Douching Asswipe
                  • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Scumbag College
                  The Bills need to use three of their four Day 1 picks on the OL and DL. They would be well advised to use their first two picks on the lines. If we're drafting safeties and receivers before lineman, I'll kick the neighbor's dog in April.
                  if TD is still the GM we will be. We need to get that "best player available". Even if it means we have 19 safeties on the roster and 3 defensive tackles.
                  MiKiDo Facebook
                  MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Throne Logic
                    Terry Tate - Outside Linebacker
                    • Aug 2002

Originally posted by Willis21
                    Picking a OT or a DT in the 1st Round and giving him a huge signing bonus doesn't have to be a problem if that player is eventually a Probowler. A WR taking in the 1st Round could just as easily be a bust as a OL like Mike Williams.

True, however, I believe Draz was alluding to the fact that the draft is a crap shoot, regardless of what round you are picking in. The money would be better spent on a known commodity or two, rather than one huge unknown.

The perfect example is Mike Williams. Most people were pretty happy with that pick. Now he's an overpaid LG.

Linemen, on both sides of the ball, tend to take a couple of years to develop. Skill players (QB aside) tend to develop quicker. Furthermore, skill players (QB especially included) will have a much better opportunity to develop if you have a strong veteran line anchoring their respective sides of the ball. Proven fact, year after year. Games are ultimately won and lost based on what is happening in the trenches.
                    Still searching for that offensive rhythm.

Comment

• Devin
                      The Octagon
                      • Apr 2003

Originally posted by Throne Logic
                      The perfect example is Mike Williams. Most people were pretty happy with that pick. Now he's an overpaid LG.
                      Backup LG.
                      http://gridironjunkies.net/forums/index.php

Comment

• HHURRICANE
                        • Mar 2005

First off Draz 54 needs to reconsider his post. We might as well draft USC's whole team because they would have more talent than what Draz has on the board!!

With that said you always take DL's early and OL's later. DL's have a better chance of panning out as rookies because they can get by on their athleticism. OL's need time to adjust to the speed of the game. Robert Gallery is still trying to find his head from his ass and he had more hype than any OL since Manadarich. I would take DL's all the way through the 3rd round. I would not draft a receiver. PERIOD.

Comment

• Forward_Lateral
                          • Mar 2004

What? The Bills have 8 million in cap room BEFORE cutting ANYONE. They are anything but in cap hell.

Comment

• ajsdx
                            • Aug 2003

Dude...any situation where Coy Wire is in the game is an obvious passing situation.

Comment

• Scumbag College
                              • Oct 2002

One other thing, I root for the Bills and watch every one of their games. No matter if it was during the Super Bowl years or during the dark ages of today.

However...

If Coy Wire is the starting SS on Opening Day 2006, I quit and will just watch golf or NASCAR or some other mindless crap on TV that Sunday.
                              Remember Kevin Everett in your thoughts.

Vote Nader in 2008!

http://www.votenader.org/

Comment

Working...
                              X