X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Michael82
    • Jul 2002

Thurman Thomas for RB Coach!

I have heard that Thurman wants to get into the Bills organization somehow. Last year on WGR..he said he was interested in getting into coaching sometime and would love to come work with the Bills. Well, guess what...The Bills have a RB coach position open. Thurman would be great for that. He was always working with Ken Davis and Antowain Smith and other RB's to help them learn the position and teach them. Who better to teach Henry how to hold onto the ball properly and be the new RB coach then Thurman Thomas? I don't see any good coaches out there that are looking. I think we should bring Thurman Thomas in for an interview and see if he wants the job. It would certainly be a fan favorite decision.

The Thurmantor ROCKS!!!
  • mybills
    81 st zoner
    • Jul 2002

Sounds good.
    I'd like to see a new QB coach that can get through to Drew's thick head too! One who will drill the words...
    "open your eyes and scope the field, and you won't need to hold onto the ball so long"...
    I didn't come here to fight, I hate fighting. Life is way too short to spend it on fighting! Go fight with yourself, one of you will eventually win!

Comment

• MelK
      Working Incognito
      • Dec 2002

My only issue with that woould be the direction of the coaching staff. We just canned a slew of guys because of a lack of experience.

I have nothing against Thurman, and would love to see him with the Bills in some capacity. If this was a veteran laden coaching staff we could afford to stash a guy like him and have him learn on the job.

Comment

• MelK
        Working Incognito
        • Dec 2002

Originally posted by mybills
        Sounds good.
        I'd like to see a new QB coach that can get through to Drew's thick head too! One who will drill the words...
        "open your eyes and scope the field, and you won't need to hold onto the ball so long"...
        Gilbride will be the QB coach this season as well as OC. He did a decent Job with AAron Brooks in New Orleans

Comment

• Michael82
          • Jul 2002

Well, maybe what Henry needs is a veteran leader to show him ball control. He needs someone who can help. And Steve Fairchild was going to re-signed anyways if he wanted to. He was never a RB coach, he wasn't even a Runningback. He was a former QB. I think Thurman may be the answer that our young RBs need. He can work with Henry on ball control and develop Joe Burns. Or even just bring him on as an assistant RB coach.

Comment

• The_Philster
            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by MelK

Gilbride will be the QB coach this season as well as OC. He did a decent Job with AAron Brooks in New Orleans
            Gilbride never coached in New Orleans
            Oilers QB coach 89
            Oilers offensive coordinator 90-93
            Oilers Assistant Head Coach/Offense 94
            Jags offensive coordinator 95-96
            Chargers head coach 97-98
            ESPN analyst 99
            Steelers offensive coordinator 00-01
            Bills offensive coordinator 02-present
            The Buffalo Pro Cheer Blog...Positive coverage of Buffalo's Pro Cheerleaders since 2001!

Comment

• Buffarama
              Football-Sport of the Gods
              • Jul 2002

I'd like to have Thurman, but I doubt he could co-exist with Williams.

Comment

• MelK
                Working Incognito
                • Dec 2002

Whoops- my bad- I misread an older article about ex New Orleans QB Jeff Blake- The article (from last offseason) said Blake was considering Buffalo as a FA because he played for Gilbride -

It says later he played for him in East Carolina....

Comment

• ublinkwescore
                  Sab and TD are insignificant
                  • Sep 2002

Didn't Travis Henry idolize Thurman Thomas?

Thomas would be a real motivator to Henry because Thomas has proven himself, and WILL be a hall of famer, and Thomas was on Travis Henry's favorite team when he was growing up. I know that the current regime seems to be looking for experience on it's coaching staff, but Thomas I think will do good even in his first year - and Thomas obviously has great love for this team - so I'm sure he wouldn't have any problem with slapping Henry upside the head when he sees him carrying the ball the wrong way. Henry has so much upside - he just needs to hold onto the damn ball!!
                  www.gamersconspiracy.com - where gamers conspire

Comment

• The_Philster
                    • Jul 2002

He was basically the RB caoch in 1997 when Elijah Pitts took ill and he did a much better job of it than Bishop Harris did in 1998 and 1999.
                    The Buffalo Pro Cheer Blog...Positive coverage of Buffalo's Pro Cheerleaders since 2001!

Comment

• BufBlue4ever60
                      • Oct 2002

I think its a good idea, but the last thing that Gregg Williams wants is a coach that fans like more than him.
                      "If she keeps putting you on hold, it's time to hang up the phone."
                      -- Larry King

Comment

• Benjudah
                        Shinier than your mom
                        • Jul 2002

Mike, I actually really like your idea. Despite his lack of experience at really being a coach... very few people know more about the fundamentals of running the football well more than Thurman... Plus you have the fact that Henry idolizes Thurman... runs in a very similar way to Thurman... Thurman also had a fumbling problem he had to work through... although not as severe. Thurman loves the Bills... wants to get involved with the organization and with coaching... it makes a lot of sense when you think about it...

Start writing letters to TD

Comment

• TigerJ
                          • Jul 2002

Didn't Gilbride coach for the New Orleans Saints in 1896? Maybe that was his great grandfather.

Seriously, I vote for Thurman as RB coach. He was a player who had talent coming out of college, but responded well to coaching as he tried and succeeded at becoming a much better, more complete player. His game lacked nothing. He could run. He knew how to cut back. He could catch passes out of the backfield, or line up at WR for that matter. He blocked far better than a 5'10" 195 lb guy had any right to. I think he would be a natural teacher, in part because he appreciates how time, dedication, and good coaching made him a better player. I think he can communicate those things to a young player like Henry.
                          I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

• ublinkwescore
                            Sab and TD are insignificant
                            • Sep 2002

I'm all for it - bring Thurman Thomas to this organization as running backs coach NOW!!!
                            www.gamersconspiracy.com - where gamers conspire

Comment

• northernbillfan
                              Hello, I'm Mike and I'm a Bills fan.

Administrator Emeritus
                              • Jul 2002

Good points Mike.

Henry has a little something extra in him that most younger RB's lack. His stif arm is one of the best in the league, and he can spin like a Beyblade(tm). He just needs some veteran leadership.
                              When I die, please don't let my wife sell my camera equipment for what I told her I paid for it.

Comment

Working...
                              X