• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JD
    Sabres Zone
    • Sep 2003

Why isn't Hockey more popular?

Give your honest opinion..

Checkout this write-up about it too: http://www.sportscolumn.com/story/2005/10/5/81936/5079/

I myself say it stems back to schools. How hard is it to get a school hockey team? Then compare that to how easy it would be to have a school football team. If you dont grow up around hockey, or even know how to play it since it isnt offered at your school as a team sport or even in a PE class, its hard to get into the sport.

For football, you just set up a patch of grass anywhere and set-up a game. But with hockey, having a school very own ice rink is really really expensive.. but getting into a league with a bunch of area schools may not be too hard to pull off.. WITH school spending. Schools are going to do whats cheaper and more traditional so before having a hockey team, i'm sure a football team, basketball team and baseball team would be the first sports teams to put together. I mean, every school has a gym, right? Pretty much every school has a baseball diamond or there is one within a short distance from the campus. But now think about ice rinks.. how few and far between they are.

I think that is the main reason this sport is lacking by popularity.
    “You hold a players only meeting and get each guy to stand up and say what he can bring to the table... and if he doesn't, you punch him in the face.” ~~ Harry Neale, on how to fix the Sabres season.
  • Myers57
    Registered User and McLovin stunt double
    • Sep 2003

Re: Why isn't Hockey more popular?

Because people assume that corruption took over the game...

Comment

• Bill Brasky
      Drives an ice cream truck covered in human skulls
      • Jan 2004

i always wanted to play hockey in HS, but the nearest team you could join was 25 miles away and it was for a private catholic school that only played teams out of my parents driving range... plus you had to pay an arm and a leg to join.

so we resorted to roller hockey in the parks.

Comment

• Uncle Jesse
        • Sep 2004

Hardly any High School teams in Western New York has their own ice rink. Actually, I dont think any do. They most all play at the Pepsi Center in Amherst. I play club hockey for Medaille College and thats where our games and practices are too. I know theres quite a few ice rinks around us too, Buff St., Kaz, Riverside and a few others.

As for football, its a pretty damn expensive sport actually. Yeah the feilds are there, but the paint to line the feilds, the stands, the watering system for the feilds, and then all the equipment for all the players, its outrageous. The only thing you need to bring as a HS football player is a cup and football spikes. I think most of the bigger schools could have it, its more intrest than anything.

Comment

• MikeInRoch
          • Sep 2003

One of the problems that Hockey has is that it does not translate well to television. Don't get me wrong, I love watching it on TV, but you do lose a lot watching at home vs. being at the game. Soccer suffers from the same problem.
          "'Clean up your room.', 'Stand up straight.', 'Pick up your feet.', 'Take it like a man.', 'Be nice to your sister.', 'Don't mix beer and wine, ever.'. Oh yeah, 'Don't drive on the railroad track.'"

"Eh, Phil. That's one I happen to agree with."

Comment

• JD
            Sabres Zone
            • Sep 2003

What do you thin if they moved the cameras lower to the ice... or maybe just zoomed in more? Def. have to train the cameramen on how to follow plays and the puck, because they suck!
            “You hold a players only meeting and get each guy to stand up and say what he can bring to the table... and if he doesn't, you punch him in the face.” ~~ Harry Neale, on how to fix the Sabres season.

Comment

• fushetti
              President of the Rick Jeanneret Fanclub
              • Feb 2003

I never bought into the fact that hockey doesn't translate to TV. If you can't follow the puck than youre a ******. I can't stand when people say they can't see the puck.

I think the Sabres do an excellent telecast and the camera work is fantastic. ESPN used to be excellent as well. OLN's camera work is God awful. Its always zoomed in super far and you can't see crap. There needs to be alot of zooming in and out. Watch for it during the next game.

I have no clue why hockey isn't popular. I scratch my head and wonder why basketball gets good ratings...or poker! please. Both are as boring to me as watching golf.
              "And I do have a wish, albeit one that cannot and will not be fulfilled. I wish... I wish that standing next to me right now, would be Ted Darling."
              Rick Jeanneret 4-14-96

Ted Darling "Voice of the Sabres"

Comment

• pyrrhonist
                • Sep 2003

My theory has always been this:

As a whole, Americans generally do not like what they're no good at.

Look at both hockey & fútbol---Are Americans good at either on a global scale? Not particularly. In hockey, it's either Canada or the Eastern Europeans. In football (aka soccer), it is either the Brazilians, Argentinians, Italians, English....ok, you get the picture. The US has fielded a few teams here & there that have given it a run, but they've mostly fallen well short of winning.

Now don't misread me---I don't hate the country I am from & reside in, nor do I feel it speaks for all Americans. Obviously, we all love hockey, and I know I love fútbol, as well. However, the general population would rather watch a football that rarely sees a foot make contact with a ball (Even though I love American Football, as well), and a game where there is more action in the stands than on the playing field (baseball). It's a headscratcher, for sure, but that is my theory.

Comment

• SABuffalo786
                  • Feb 2003

There's a lot of stupid people in this country?
                  "Do me a favor, say a prayer for brother Timmy. And tip a cold one. Go Bills." - Tom Brokaw

We are the Rockpile
                  We are the Rockpile
                  We are the Rockpile
                  BUFF-A-LO

Comment

• Myers57
                    Registered User and McLovin stunt double
                    • Sep 2003

Originally posted by SABuffalo786

sure is

Comment

• pyrrhonist
                      • Sep 2003

Originally posted by SABuffalo786
                      Originally posted by Afinogenov61
                      sure is

Irony alert!

Comment

• PUCKER
                        • Sep 2004

Honestly,Im more excited about the Sabs than I am about the Bills right now!
                        Zapper's Hit List:
                        SABURZFAN -
                        SabreEleven -

pjw aka Mini -
                        Billsology -

Join BDZ today!!!
                        http://www.billszone.com/http://www....ad.php?t=72979

Comment

• JD
                          Sabres Zone
                          • Sep 2003

Originally posted by PUCKER
                          Honestly,Im more excited about the Sabs than I am about the Bills right now!

Eff the Bills, I personally dont care what happens until 2006 Season.

Comment

Working...
                          X