PDA

View Full Version : Man killed after making bomb threat at Miami Airport

Bill Brasky
12-07-2005, 04:24 PM
MIAMI, Florida (CNN) -- Federal air marshals shot and killed a 44-year-old U.S. citizen on a boarding bridge at Miami International Airport after he said he had a bomb, several sources familiar with the incident told CNN.

Flight 924 was in Miami on a stopover during a flight from Medellin, Colombia, to Orlando, Florida, when the man said there was a bomb in his carry-on luggage, a Department of Homeland Security official said.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/12/07/airplane.gunshot/index.html

Gunzlingr
12-07-2005, 04:26 PM
good.

Pride
12-07-2005, 04:32 PM
good

BAM
12-07-2005, 04:33 PM
Can't say I blame them.

Bill Brasky
12-07-2005, 04:40 PM
i wonder if the marshall that shot him is the same one that's the "Bills fan"

Forward_Lateral
12-07-2005, 04:42 PM
What an idiot.

Bill Brasky
12-07-2005, 04:44 PM
What an idiot.

This is not a thread about Tom Donahoe.

MidnightVoice
12-07-2005, 04:51 PM
Possible explanation:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10367598/

A passenger who claimed to have a bomb in a carry-on bag was shot and killed by a federal air marshal Wednesday on a jetway to an American Airlines plane that had arrived from Colombia, officials said.

Homeland Security Department spokesman Brian Doyle said the dead passenger was a 44-year-old U.S. citizen.

It was the first time since the Sept. 11 attacks that an air marshal had shot at a passenger or suspect, he said. A witness said that the man frantically ran down the aisle of the Boeing 757 and that a woman with him said he was mentally ill.

The passenger, who indicated there was a bomb in the bag, was confronted by air marshals but ran off the aircraft, Doyle said.

The marshals pursued and ordered the passenger to get on the ground, but the man did not comply and was shot when apparently reaching into the bag, Doyle said.

NBC News confirmed that authorities searching the man’s carry-on bag did not find a bomb.

Passenger Mary Gardner told WTVJ in Miami that the man ran down the aisle from the rear of the plane. “He was frantic, his arms flailing in the air,” she said. She said a woman followed, shouting, “My husband! My husband!”

Man reportedly bipolar

Gardner said she heard the woman say her husband was bipolar and had not had his medication.

Pride
12-07-2005, 04:55 PM
they did us all a favor... he would have snapped and killed someone eventually.

MidnightVoice
12-07-2005, 04:56 PM
Snapped? Is that what bi-polar syndrome indicates? And killed them with what? His wildly waving arms?

honey
12-07-2005, 04:59 PM
Snapped? Is that what bi-polar syndrome indicates? And killed them with what? His wildly waving arms?

He was wildly waving his arms and claiming he had a bomb. Gee, I dunno, I probably would have shot him, too, had he been anywhere near me and wasn't calming down. :shakeno:

BAM
12-07-2005, 05:00 PM
It is possible that you might be defending this guy? Jus curious.

MidnightVoice
12-07-2005, 05:03 PM
He was wildly waving his arms and claiming he had a bomb. Gee, I dunno, I probably would have shot him, too, had he been anywhere near me and wasn't calming down. :shakeno:I don't believe that answers my question.

THATHURMANATOR
12-07-2005, 05:03 PM
After reading the explanation I am glad they shot him.

honey
12-07-2005, 05:05 PM
I don't believe that answers my question.
Who cares?

MidnightVoice
12-07-2005, 05:06 PM
It is possible that you might be defending this guy? Jus curious.I'm suggesting that we might not know all of the particulars and that we might want to reserve judgement until we do. All we know for sure right now is that he is guilty of triggering a response from an air marshall. And that, unfortunately, a man - possibly acting erratically due to being off his meds - has been killed.

MidnightVoice
12-07-2005, 05:07 PM
Who cares?Not sure anyone does - including and especially me. But you did make the effort to quote my question so naturally I assumed that you were trying to answer it.

BAM
12-07-2005, 05:10 PM
I'm suggesting that we might not know all of the particulars and that we might want to reserve judgement until we do. All we know for sure right now is that he is guilty of triggering a response from an air marshall. And that, unfortunately, a man - possibly acting erratically due to being off his meds - has been killed.
You're right. We don't know the entire story at this time. However, anyone claiming to have a bomb, especially someone lacking of any required psychological medication, is not a safe person and should be dealth with accordingly in my opinion.

RedEyE
12-07-2005, 05:12 PM
:bf1:

The Marshall should be commended. Too many other lives at stake. This sends a clear message to the rest of the world.

honey
12-07-2005, 05:13 PM
Not sure anyone does - including and especially me. But you did make the effort to quote my question so naturally I assumed that you were trying to answer it.
Oh, so sorry for the misunderstanding.

Gunzlingr
How does the air marshall know that she wasn't in on it? He had to make snap judgement, and if he chooses the other option and is wrong there are a whole lot more people dead.

MidnightVoice
You're right. We don't know the entire story at this time. However, anyone claiming to have a bomb, especially someone lacking of any required psychological medication, is not a safe person and should be dealth with accordingly in my opinion.Well, a bi-polar person is not intrinsically unsafe. But on a plane post-9/11 this behavior - for the panic it obviously caused - probably is.

honey
:bf1:

The Marshall should be commended. Too many other lives at stake. This sends a clear message to the rest of the world.
I agree with both you and BAM. :up:

MidnightVoice
12-07-2005, 05:16 PM
Oh, so sorry for the misunderstanding.You don't sound very sorry.

Merry Christmas

MidnightVoice
12-07-2005, 05:19 PM
I agree with both you and BAM. :up:And he - apparently - agrees with me. Thanks for the postive rep, BAM.

honey
12-07-2005, 05:20 PM
You don't sound very sorry.
Merry Christmas
Yeah, same to you.

chernobylwraiths
12-07-2005, 05:21 PM
I don't blame the air marshal at all. He did what he felt was necessary and I don't think it wasn't considering the situation.

The wife should have made sure he had taken his meds.

It is truely sad that he had to lose his life, but sometimes there are unfortunate events like this.

The only thing I would think is, couldn't the marshal have incapacitated him with a shot before resorting to the kill shot. If he was very close to other people and they would have been in harms way, then I can understand the kill shot.

BAM
12-07-2005, 05:22 PM
And he - apparently - agrees with me. Thanks for the postive rep, BAM.

Dammit I must have forgotten my bipolar meds today.

:jk: No problem.

chernobylwraiths
12-07-2005, 05:23 PM
Only thing that bothers me is the blatent callousness of some posters here (besides the usual) who seem glad that this impaired individual is dead. Of course I think most of them are trying to use dark humor.

honey
12-07-2005, 05:26 PM
Well, they blew up his bags.....probably absolutely nothing to worry about. Poor guy....he's dead and now they're blowing up his clothes. :rolleyes:

chernobylwraiths
12-07-2005, 05:27 PM
Well, they blew up his bags.....probably absolutely nothing to worry about. Poor guy....he's dead and now they're blowing up his clothes. :rolleyes:

Except for maybe one black suit, it's not like he's going to need them.

Philagape
12-07-2005, 07:25 PM
The marshals pursued and ordered the passenger to get on the ground, but the man did not comply and was shot when apparently reaching into the bag, Doyle said.

Case closed. If a guy reaches, you have to take him out.

SabreEleven
12-07-2005, 08:19 PM
I probably would have shot him

Not the first time someone from the Post Office has mumble this statement.

Novacane
12-07-2005, 08:48 PM
He said he had a bomb and started running. How was the marshall supposed to know he was bi-polar and had not taken his meds? It's sad he's dead but the marshall did the right thing.

BAM
12-07-2005, 08:56 PM
I probably would have shot him too. I'm still a lil upset about not getting any action last week in deer season. Antsy.

Bill Brasky
12-07-2005, 11:20 PM
He was wildly waving his arms and claiming he had a bomb. Gee, I dunno, I probably would have shot him, too, had he been anywhere near me and wasn't calming down. :shakeno:

Yeah, I would have tried to tackle him like Nate Clements... oh wait... that would have resulted in many deaths after I choked. I am a playmaker though.

Dozerdog
12-08-2005, 12:40 AM
They should shoot more crazy people.

ArcticWildMan
12-08-2005, 12:42 AM
Oh goodie, now we can look forward to the talking heads on TV debating if he should have been shot or not for the next week. :ill: