PDA

View Full Version : Marvin Lewis wasn't even the Bungles first choice

PA Season Ticket Holder
01-19-2003, 11:43 AM
Mortensen said on ESPN this morning that the Bengals offered the HC position to Mike Malarkey(sp?). He turned them down because the Bengals wouldn't give him enough time to think about it.

You know the Bengals are bad when somebody has to think long and hard about taking a first time HC job for your team.

I wonder how the great Marvin Lewis feels about that? He wasn't even their first choice.

Dozerdog
01-19-2003, 11:54 AM
He's a HC now- Being the 2nd, or 100th coach on the list doesn't matter.

I was in his shoes. I applied for a promotion in my company once- and got the job. It was a no brainer that they went to 2 other guys who turned the job down. If anything- I felt even better that I got the promotion after being the long shot.

Of course, I aslo have been on the other side of the equation as well. I was someone's first choice to take a position within my company for a high profile/ high reward spot but my immediate Boss would not let me take it (It was considered a lateral move)
That is a more frustrating position to be in.

PA Season Ticket Holder
01-19-2003, 12:04 PM
I didn't mean that Lewis wouldn't be happy about the job now, but with the ego he seems to have I'm sure it hits him below the belt just a little bit.

I think it's funny that the way he's always hyped to be some great commodity, that the Bungles wanted somebody else besides him. He's the one turning down these jobs all the time after he said he was gonna take them. I would've looked foward to all the excuses and and sour grapes as to why he didn't get hired again this year. And it almost didn't happen.

Ever since what he said about the city of Buffalo and calling TD racist, I forever wanna see this bum fail miserably. I'm glad TD didn't hire him because I didn't want him from the start.

Novacane
01-19-2003, 01:04 PM
He'll be a failure with the Bungles IMO. I think he is a product of meida hype!

PA Season Ticket Holder
01-19-2003, 01:12 PM
I'll lay ZB's on the line that he'll flop in Cinci.

dolfan25
01-19-2003, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by BledsoeTOreedfor6
He'll be a failure with the Bungles IMO. I think he is a product of meida hype!

Isn't everyone a failure with the Bengals.

I don't think he cares about being 2nd choice. He obviously was a 2nd choice to Parcells last year when he took the Bucs job before the Glazers stepped in.

PA Season Ticket Holder
01-19-2003, 02:08 PM
There's a difference between being 2nd choice between Parcells and Malarkey.

ArcticWildMan
01-19-2003, 02:12 PM
I'm with you PA!!!

The guy sandbagged his interview with TD and then said Buffalo wasn't good enough for his family. :eek:

I hope the guy fails and fails BIG!!! :mad:

Michael82
01-19-2003, 05:43 PM
Me Too!

I hope SPikes jumps ship and pisses off Marvin and comes to Buffalo too! :evil:

PA Season Ticket Holder
01-19-2003, 07:37 PM
I want Spikes too but it looks like the damn Bungles are gonna use a tag on him.

Michael82
01-19-2003, 07:56 PM
No, Marvin doesn't want to. He doesn't believe in that. He said that the ball is in Spikes' court and if they do tag him...it will be a Transition Tag. The Bills could still put an offer down on him. The Bungals just have right of first refusal.

PA Season Ticket Holder
01-19-2003, 09:47 PM
They can match any offer we put up for him. We'd have to seriously overpay for the Bungles not to match it. Then it wouldn't be worth it.

Michael82
01-20-2003, 08:10 AM
Are u nuts?!?!?!? Mike Brown is a cheap SOB and will find some kind of excuse NOT to match the offer. They will then claim that..."at least we tagged Spikes and tried to keep him" They have done this before and Mike Brown is too cheap an owner to overbid for one of his talented stars. :lol:

Don Cherry
01-20-2003, 08:25 AM
I would think it would be cheaper for Mike Brown to tag instead of sign Spikes long term.

Mike Brown is going to shell out $75 million in pay just like the rest of the teams in league. Tagging and paying him does not cost him above and beyond what other teams pay their players- it may mean other roster spots will be filled out with less expensive players, but in the end he will have a $75 Million cap like everyone else.

If he signed Spikes to a longer deal, then Brown has to pony up more CASH up front in signing bonuses. If he tags him, then he gets a top 5 salary average for 1 year- and no signing bonus.

Mike Brown has the same choices we have to make with Price- Retain his services at the cost of filling more holes elsewhere on the roster.

One Big difference is Spikes is one of the best (top 5) at his position in the league = Price is not. Price isn't even the best at his position on his own team.

The other big difference is the Bengals have more holes to fill.

PA Season Ticket Holder
01-21-2003, 12:10 AM
It would be a shame to see Spikes rot away in Cinci like Dillon is doing. I wouldn't wish that on my worse enemy.