PDA

View Full Version : Step away and calm down

ghz in pittsburgh
12-08-2005, 08:50 AM
I was angry on Sunday after the game, but was back to normal on Monday.

Is it really that bad losing to the Dolphins on the road? The Dolphins are obviously better than they were last year and the Bills are worse than they were last year. And they had a close game last year in Miami.

Or is it because the way they lose to the Dophins? To me I'm far more worried and embarassed after the Chargers game.

A loss is a loss; it doesn't matter how it was lost. I was actually encouraged by Losman's development from that game.

Everyone on this board hold Saban on high esteem. And he openly said (Cleveland game) results are not important, but how players perform for evaluation is more critical at this junction. I take that to heart.

Does anyone really think we have a chance for playoff this year? Do you really think that Losman is going to be another Roethlisberger, smooth sailing right from the get-go?

All of this talk of blow-it-up and start-over-again. The more you do it, the more it sets you back, just look at Arizona and Detroit, you run through coaches and philosophical changes, starting over every 3 years, it sure sinks a franchise to the bottom. Heck even look at the Bills, Wade Philips getting 3 years, Greg Williams another 3 and now Mularkay and you guys want to get someone else for 3 more ...

If you remember, I was run out of the other Bills board when Donahoe was hired by the Bills because I protested strongly that Donahoe was not a football man. Likewise I felt Mularkay put too much emphasis on the "smart" part of his "tough and smart" football philosophy, but I'm now come to a realization that continuity is a lot more important for a franchise than you think. You notice I don't bash Donahoe as much and I'm willing to give Mularkay time to workout his mistakes.

I felt the biggest mistake Donahoe has made since he came to Buffalo is not giving himself time. He went out his way to sign named FAs (Fletcher, Spikes, Adams, Posey, Milloy, Vincent etc.), trade for old names like Bledsoe to spice up short term results. Look around, none of the consistently good teams in this league relies on that many impact FAs to be good year after year. You get yourself an illusion of "top defense" for a year or two and this season, we are paying the price.

I think this administration did an OK job on draft, but blew the big one in 2003 when they had a chance to draft high. I always felt that they traded away too many draft picks especially the 2nd and 3rd round ones where quality linemens and safeties are usually found. But as it is, I felt good about a reasonable foundation on offense of the Losman-McGahee-Evans and possible Preston, all draft picks, to carry the Bills for the next several years. They are not Manning-James-Harrison level offense, but they could be a capable bunch.

Give Mularkay some time!! Let him enforce his vision. In his first season, he get his kind of QB, WR, and tackle (Peters). This year he gets more of his linemen so we'll see if he can get the tough part going. If I have any guess, I think Mularkay wants to get his hands dirty into defense as well making our defense tough again.

Novacane
12-08-2005, 09:01 AM
Give Mularkay some time!! Let him enforce his vision. In his first season, he get his kind of QB, WR, and tackle (Peters). This year he gets more of his linemen so we'll see if he can get the tough part going. If I have any guess, I think Mularkay wants to get his hands dirty into defense as well making our defense tough again.

He sucks. I don't know how you can't see that.

justasportsfan
12-08-2005, 09:13 AM
Everyone on this board hold Saban on high esteem. And he openly said (Cleveland game) results are not important, but how players perform for evaluation is more critical at this junction. I take that to heart. that's because Saban's in his first year and in a rebuilding mode. The bills were in the brink of a playoffs last year and Management said, "we are not taking a step back w/ Losman". Not only did he talk out of his ass by saying that, we actually RAN backwards.

Mularkey was in the same position Gruden was when he inherited the Bucs. They won the sb and we went the opposite way.

We've given GW , Drew and TD all the time they needed. No more . We're the only team in the playoffs that hasn't sniffed a playoff in this century. How much longer are you gonna wait?

If MM made great calls and the players themselves didn't perform then I would give him the benefit of a doubt. The problem is, it wasn't the players. He put the team in a position to FAIL after the players played their hearts out in the first half. He ruined everything the players did by putting them in a situation to lose the game. I'll NEVER want a coach like that.

Do you think he's gonna outcoach anyone in the playoffs? He doesn't even have the brain to beat a horrible fins team that got blanked by the Browns.

I will NEVER give a coach who GIVES games away time to even make this team worse than it already is. Even Dave Wandstedt wasn't this bad. Wanny made a few playoff appearances before he ran the teams he coached to the ground. MM didn't waste any time. He did it in his 2nd year.

He can't even make the right calls offensively, what makes you think he knows anything about a defense?

camelcowboy
12-08-2005, 09:25 AM
GHZ, This franchise has had years of time, changes are needed now. Mularkey is just a puppet of TD

BillsFever21
12-08-2005, 10:22 AM
How could anyone give Mularkey the benefit of the doubt? You can tell the team is out of control and are sick and tired of Mularkey and have lost any respect they did have for him.

Mularkey is worse then Gregg Williams. He has far more talent and players who have time playing together and our record is even worse then with GW's teams.

GW may even get another HC job after this year. Working with Gibbs could make his 2nd shot a successful one. Mularkey will never be good. Why waste another year?

Crazygoo
12-08-2005, 10:29 AM
GW may even get another HC job after this year. Working with Gibbs could make his 2nd shot a successful one. Mularkey will never be good. Why waste another year?

At least with GW he wouldn't run these bonehead plays when all we need is 4 damn yards. These trick plays are starting to piss me off.:rage:

BillsFever21
12-08-2005, 10:47 AM
At least with GW he wouldn't run these bonehead plays when all we need is 4 damn yards. These trick plays are starting to piss me off.:rage:

His team also played with heart too and there wasn't all this in house disputes going on.

HAMMER
12-08-2005, 01:59 PM
If you ask me Mularkey has done a horrible job coaching on gameday. But his recent issues with Adams and Moulds are the result of those players being too big for their britches. When players start questioning the coaching and playcalling in public they deserve to be slapped down. Mularkey is doing the right thing, he needs to establish his authority, piss on the big ego, overpaid jerks.

ghz in pittsburgh
12-08-2005, 08:50 PM
Funny the most prominant argument I read from everyone who wants to fire Mularkay is because his play calling sucks. In my book playcalling is really not a deciding fact. Keeping the pulse of the team and moulding them following his said strategy is far more important. I never know Parcells or Cowher is any good in making playcalls. Even the genius Belichick himself is not known for playcalling in his recent success. His secret is in preparing his players, especially defensive players to understand possible opponent's offensive sets and re-act in pre-designed formation and coverage.

My best guess of the season evolved so far is that 1) Mularkay cannot possibly expect that Losman to come out of the gate and be successful like Roethlisberger. After all Moulds and other vets clearly think Losman was not ready from the get-go. It's step back but the brain trust have decided, after watching what Eli and Carson did in 2004, that they cannot afford another year of delaying Losman's progress. What I saw was an obvious botched PR move in promising playoff from the beginning. On the other hand, what will you do in terms of PR for public and more importantly, to the vets of the team if you have decided to let Bledsoe go that would be smooth for everyone?

The real problem, and that is Mularkay and his staff's fault, is that they under estimated the decline of the defense. From the #2 defense to near the bottom of the league, I don't how many teams in NFL could keep up with its W/L record. And I think its a learning experience for Mularkay, being that he has always been on offense in his life. It's not just that we don't have anyone step into Pat Williams shoes. Across the board on defense, save for Crowell who never started last year, everyone has a worse year than the year before. That, my friend, is the root of the problem of the Bills compared to what they had last year.

That's why I think Mularkay should be given another year to see if indeed he can handle both side of the ball. I don't like the way he took play calling from Clements. I believe he should be more involved in the overall strategy instead of putting all his time on offense details.

ParanoidAndroid
12-08-2005, 09:22 PM
...From the #2 defense to near the bottom of the league...

We are middle of the pack in total defense.

This defense played well against 2 very good offenses this half of the season.

Not to say I'm satisfied, but there seems to be light at the end of the tunnel, considering how many youngsters have been playing.

helmetguy
12-08-2005, 10:14 PM
How could anyone give Mularkey the benefit of the doubt? You can tell the team is out of control and are sick and tired of Mularkey and have lost any respect they did have for him.

Mularkey is worse then Gregg Williams. He has far more talent and players who have time playing together and our record is even worse then with GW's teams.

Holy ****, Feve! We're on the same page...AGAIN! STOP THAT! With MM and TC, we're seeing a redux of GW and KG. That is, the same ill conceived five-wide formations, personnel groupings, etc. as KG gave us. We have another deep-ball QB expected to play dink and dunk "West Coast and Shoot" finesse football. Could it be that GW and MM were given the offensive blueprint from TD? The similarities are far too obvious to ignore.