Mularkey must win 2 out of last four to secure job for next season !!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bmax
    • Aug 2003

Mularkey must win 2 out of last four to secure job for next season !!

]These are trying times for the Bills head coach at One Bills Drive. His team has lost 3 in a row. One game by 38 , one in which his offense scored only 9 points and one where they blew a 20 pt fourth quarter lead.. What's a head coach to do ?

It's simple... win baby just win....Then all will be forgotten !!!! Well almost.. Expect that he just suspended his top veteran player ...if that wasn't bad enough it was a public relations nightmare... It's so bad that the owner who like him had to handle the mess. Talk about poor management skills.

When a coach is hired one of the two keys that a owner looks for is can the coach manage a game and his players ? Mularkey has proved this season that he can't do either. What can save his job is #1 a big win this week against the pats. What a big win that would be .

Against the division winner at home after a tough week.. without his best wr..

#2 A win vs a playoff team- Denver-Cincy not likely but if it happened then what could we say ? it would be a first !!! A win on the road in cincy or a win against the afc west leaders at home on national tv..

# 3 - a win on the road against the jets...a game they should win and have to win.. A loss here would be totally embrassing . ESPECIALLY IF IT LEAVES THE BILLS WINLESS ON THE ROAD IN 2005..

Can they do it I doubt it .....

BUT IF THEY DO MULARKEY WILL BE HERE IN 2006

Go Bills

Bmax
    Last edited by Bmax; 12-08-2005, 11:44 PM. Reason: Wrong title
  • Michael82
    • Jul 2002

Re: Mularkey must win 2 out of last four to secure job for next season !!

I hate to say it...but I hope they don't, just so they can his ass.

Comment

• AndreReed83
      Dink or dunk, Mularkey just plain stunk.
      • Mar 2004

2 of the next 4 so they can finish 6-10? That doesn't sit well with me, especially since coaching has lost a few of the games this year. I think nothing less then 4-4 would save his job, and he still deserves to be fired, as he has obviously lost this team.

Remember how even though everyone knew Gregg Williams was going to be fired, the team still respected him for the most part and liked him. It's becoming harder and harder to say that about Mularkey's team with each passing day. He's the biggest cancer on the team.

"Look it up Thurman!!!" ~Marv Levy~
      "It's like someone walking into your house and punching your mother RIGHT in the the face." ~Darryl Talley ~

Comment

• camelcowboy
        • Mar 2005

A loss to the Jets would seal it, New england, Denver, and Cinny. I like our chances of choking.

Comment

• LifetimeBillsFan
          All-Pro Zoner
          • Aug 2004

In my view Mularkey lost his credibility and the ability to lead the Bills the day that he benched JP Losman and made Kelly Holcomb the starting QB.

While it might have been the right move and JP may well have benefitted from it, by doing that when he did it, it appeared that he was bowing to pressure from Eric Moulds and some of the other vets in the locker-room who were complaining about not being able to "win now" with JP at the helm. Even if they were right about JP not being ready, etc., by allowing it to appear that he was being pressured by some of the players to make that move, Mularkey allowed his players to see him as being weak and indecisive and, probably in some eyes, not entirely trustworthy or willing to stand-up for one of his players in the face of criticism. A coach cannot afford to have his players think of him that way or he loses his credibility with them as a leader.

The result has been that, subsequently, Sam Adams and Eric Moulds have gone on to openly challenge Mularkey's decisions later in the season. Even if they are right and Mularkey deserves those criticisms, the fact that they felt that they could challenge him as they did means that they believed that he was weak enough that they could get away with it. It also meant that Mularkey was forced to attempt to discipline them harshly, in a manner that became public, in order to maintain some semblance of control over the rest of the team. Even if Mularkey was right in disciplining them, however, the fact that he had to do so in a manner that became public knowledge made that discipline appear to be compensatory, which only serves to make Mularkey appear to be weak to his team.

No one respects or wants to follow a weak leader. Certainly not a bunch of macho athletes who risk life and limb every time they step out onto the field to play a violent ground-acquisition game very much akin to war. While a person does not have to be a "gung-ho", "rah-rah" type to be a strong leader and a lot of weak leaders have tried to compensate for their weakness by being "gung-ho", "rah-rah" types, a weak leader can never be completely successful in war or football because both require those who follow the leader to trust him implicitly and have faith in his decisions. They will not have the trust and faith in a weak leader that necessary to be successful in the face of adversity.

Even if the Bills get rid of every one of the veteran players who agreed with Moulds and Adams at the end of this season, they cannot get rid of every player on the roster, players who have seen Mularkey's weakness and now have a seed of doubt firmly planted in their mind about his ability to lead them. If Mularkey remains as the Bills coach, their doubts will inevitably be transmitted to any new players that the team brings in to replace those who have departed. While not impossible, it would be extremely difficult for Mularkey to overcome those doubts and, in the meantime, those doubts would lead to losses on the field that would likely lead to Mularkey's dismissal.

Consequently, in my view, it would be better to deal with the problem now and get it over with. If Ralph Wilson choses to hold T.Donahoe responsible for the failure of this team to make the playoffs, which would make good business sense and as he probably should, and replaces him with a new GM, that new GM should be allowed to choose his own coach (if TD is retained, it is unlikely that he will fire Mularkey even though he should). At the same time, Moulds, Adams and any veteran who has a mind to object to the direction that the new GM and coach want to take the team should be told that they can either shut up and get with the program or find a place on the bench until management can arrange to get them a ticket out of town.

And, as for Mularkey, hopefully he will learn from this mistake and avoid making it again the next time he gets an opportunity to be a head coach somewhere. Personally, given the way that he has refused to alter those play-calling patterns that have consistently failed to work, I do not think that it is likely that he will actually learn from this mistake, but that's up to him. As a Bills fan, I believe that his error in dealing with Moulds, etc. has made it impossible for him to succeed as the head coach of the Bills and that he should, therefore, be replaced as soon as practicable.
          Those who do not learn from the past are doomed to repeat it. And, thus it was that they surrendered their freedom; not with a bang, but without even a whimper.

Comment

• dolphinssuck
            • Dec 2005

Then I hope we finish 1-3 in our last 4 games!

Comment

• TigerJ
              • Jul 2002

Is this a report, or your opinion? It would really help if you specified.
              I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

• Dr. Lecter
                Zero for Zero!
                • Mar 2003

Originally posted by Mikey82
                I hate to say it...but I hope they don't, just so they can his ass.
                Mikey, Mikey, Mikey.......

A Bills fan should NEVER say they do not want the Bills to win.

"I don't want them to succeed because then Mularkey would have succeeded!"

Fans always want their team to win.
                Originally posted by mysticsoto
                Lecter is right in everything he said.

Comment

• camelcowboy
                  • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                  Mikey, Mikey, Mikey.......

A Bills fan should NEVER say they do not want the Bills to win.

"I don't want them to succeed because then Mularkey would have succeeded!"

Fans always want their team to win.

Not true, I expect them to lose. Will i route for the bills to lose. No, will i cheer if they do well, yes. Its still better for the franchise if they lose. Im going to Denver, and possible New Englands game. What will winning out accomplish? Nothing good! just more years of Beavis and butthead running our organization. Mikey wouldn't be here if he wasn't a true fan. Like me if they win it won't be disapointing, but its a little too late.

Comment

• Devin
                    The Octagon
                    • Apr 2003

To little too late.

Hes done IMO.
                    http://gridironjunkies.net/forums/index.php

Comment

• Bmax
                      • Aug 2003

Opinon......of course that's what the thread is all about .. if it was a report a link would be provided...

"In my view Mularkey lost his credibility and the ability to lead the Bills the day that he benched JP Losman and made Kelly Holcomb the starting QB". great all time bills fan... i agree ...

It's just a matter of time i believe... sooner would be better than later....

Bmax

Comment

• paladin warrior
                        All-Pro Zoner
                        • Oct 2004

Nope.... M.M Bills will win one game vs Jets

Comment

• Turf
                          • Jul 2002

Who's rooting for Mularkey? Not me. Forget his record, his trick plays say it all for me.
                          I remember last year before the Pittsburgh game we lost, the game before, we were ahead, needed to run the clock out or kick a FG to win. What did he do? He called a fake FG!! He could have lost the game for us on that play call alone. He got lucky, we still won.
                          But he hasn't learned a damn thing. He's just a reckless and stupid as he was last year. He hasn't learned, doesn't want to learn, and if he does he can learn somewhere else. Get him out of here!!!
                          Lou Saban: You can get it done, you can get it done. And what’s more, you’ve gotta get it done.

Comment

• Michael82
                            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by camelcowboy
                            Not true, I expect them to lose. Will i route for the bills to lose. No, will i cheer if they do well, yes. Its still better for the franchise if they lose. Im going to Denver, and possible New Englands game. What will winning out accomplish? Nothing good! just more years of Beavis and butthead running our organization. Mikey wouldn't be here if he wasn't a true fan. Like me if they win it won't be disapointing, but its a little too late.
                            Excellent Post, camel!

Comment

Working...
                            X