• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • X-Era
    What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
    • Feb 2005

Whats your honest take on McGahee?

Im a fan of anyone who goes to 2000 yards as fast as he does behind our o-line but I do also have some question marks on him. Lets look at pluses and minuses:

Pluses:

1) Size- lets face it some of the smaller RB's suffer against bigger players and have to rely on there moves to prevent tackles rather than being able to power through them. Now, it was a ton of fun to watch Thurman squirt through a big mess in the middle for lots of extra yards. Willis certainly has the size. I guess Id rather have ths ize to blast through tackles which would seem to be a more likely thing to be able to do than running around them.

2) Stiff arm- Im not sure there is a better stiff arm guy in the league than Willis. There might be but I cant remember seeing it.

3) Receiving- Willis has been very good at this this year. Remember Darrick Holmes? it was either him or Travis that didnt do this well. I cant remember off hand. Its nice to have our RB be a receiving option as well, just another facet to our game.

4) Ball carrying- One thing thats nice compared to say Travis is that Willis doesnt fumble alot. Its obvioulsy a critical thing when they turn it over.

5) Durability- I dont think he has gone down on an injury since he came back from the knee. He has taken lots of hits and keep coming.

Minuses

1) Speed- I have to say that Willis hasnt impressed with his speed. He hasnt out run anyone that I know of. Id like to have a homerun hitter. A guy that if sprung into the secondary will beat anyone on the field in a flat out run.

2) Break tackle ability- I still feel as if Willis goes down to easy. He seems to go down on the first hit sometimes and I can remember one play where he got tackled by an undersized DB by the feet.

3) Vision- its a bit of a puch at this point. I have seen him make good moves and pick his holes. But, he also has ran right into tackles other times as well.

Overall, I think he is a proven young player. Im not sure he is worth top 5 pay. But, he is proven. I think the bigger question is can he be replaced with equal or better talent? Im not sure I see that without spending alot of money. Shuan Alexander, Edge sure, buth are equal or better. But, both also would command more money than Willis. I dont think Willis will holdout in my opinion, but who knows. Now, if we get a shot at a guy in the draft who may be a better option, maybe we take em. However, theres only 1 guy in this draft thats worth it and that would be Bush. We aint gonna get em.

I think Willis would benefit from a change in o-line schemes. I like what Denvers done and feel zone blocking would really help a guy like Willis. He could pick his holes and would get to be at full speed by the time the tackler got there. I could see him breaking more tackles at full speed.

Your thoughts? Is he THE guy we need for the next 5 years at RB or do we need something better?

• Bill Brasky
    Drives an ice cream truck covered in human skulls
    • Jan 2004

Re: Whats your honest take on McGahee?

who cares if he's over 2000 yards... he hasn't helped us win or close out games. that's all i care about.

Comment

• Mudflap1
      Next Question!
      • Nov 2004

What's your honest take on McGahee?

He doesn't have half of the talent, potential, good attitude, charm, fashion sense, hair, or pride that J.P. Losman has!!

Seriously, I think he's all talk. Good player, doesn't back it up in crunch time, at least not yet.

Jon

Comment

• X-Era
        What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
        • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Mudflap1
        What's your honest take on McGahee?

He doesn't have half of the talent, potential, good attitude, charm, fashion sense, hair, or pride that J.P. Losman has!!

Seriously, I think he's all talk. Good player, doesn't back it up in crunch time, at least not yet.

Jon
        I honestly cant disagree that he hasnt stepped up in big games yet.

Comment

• Dantheman1280
          I am the Man!
          • Mar 2004

I think he is a really good young player, but he does not want to spend his career with a losing team. So he isn't giving his best effort in hopes of being traded when he holds out for a big deal.

Comment

• wchutalkinboutwillis
            • Mar 2005

The biggest concern I had with McGahee last year is the same I have this year...He simply does not have break away speed. He may have had it at Miami U but it's clear that he has now lost it. When you analyze it, he really doesn't run all the different than Travis Henry. I will say this... it seems that Willis had a lot more outside runs last year that were highly successful. It hasn't been the same this year as most runs have been predictably through the tackles. I will also add that Travis was more utilized as a receiver. As I write this, it really proves that there is a major problem with the management/coaching staff. I don't know what to think anymore.

"If I had my way, I'd shuffle off to Buffalo. Sit by the lake and watch the world go by." Fogerty

Comment

• BADTHINGSMAN
              • Oct 2002

Originally posted by jfreeman
              who cares if he's over 2000 yards... he hasn't helped us win or close out games. that's all i care about.
              Couldnt agree more..

This Self-proclaimed best RB in the league isnt even a top 5 back.. When McGahee's contract is up he is as good as gone..

Comment

• STAMPY
                Hall of Fame Zoner
                • Sep 2003

All hype... hasnt even broken one over 40 yards still. All i heard was about his gamebreaking skills.

Comment

• chubluv
                  BillsZone bowling team MVP
                  • Jan 2003

Originally posted by jfreeman
                  He hasnt been given the chance by the coaches. Hes hardly ever in there on 3rd down. The play calling is horrible.

We are in 5th place
                  Clump is on the IR
                  Chubluv average is 167
                  Yaz average is 179[/B]

BDZ
                  Become a member of BDZ !!!!

Comment

• sdbillsfan2
                    • Apr 2005

Maybe it's just me but I don't see him having much of a heart for the game ! (alot of show and no much go)Willis is for Willis and the team comes in second. Maybe it's something about players from today's "U" !!!! I don't think he's half as good as he and his agent think he is!

" I'd try to see things from your point of view but..........there's only room up your a** for one head ! "

Comment

• frank74
                      • Apr 2005

besides his stiff arm which is pretty deadly, he reminds me of antowain smith. his longest run this year is 27 yards? i think willis is average.

Comment

• Talonz
                        • Aug 2004

Has he even stiff armed this year? I don't remember once?

Comment

• MarvLevy
                          Can I get some power to give REP?
                          • Jul 2005

Willis is a great player but is not the type of person/player you would be proud to say is on your team. Therefore, If he did leave when his contract was up I wouldn't be too upset. I think good rb's can be found over and over in the draft. It's the offensive scheme that makes them productive.

Comment

• MarvLevy
                            Can I get some power to give REP?
                            • Jul 2005

Sometimes Willis hardly gets carries. I can recall some games when he didn't even get 15.

Comment

• venis2k1
                              Youboty can hope
                              • Jul 2002

4 Tds in 12 games is not what i call the best back in the league... or even an average back in the league.

Comment

Working...
                              X