PDA

View Full Version : Mularkey Clueless on Being a Coach

DynaPaul
12-11-2005, 10:22 AM
Aside from his obvious stupid playcalling it seems that Mularkey has no idea on how to handle other aspects of coaching such as firing the troops up before the game, calming down irate vets, helping younger players overcome mistakes, and promoting general morale. (Yeah, wow, that cheeseburger idea was really something.) I think his handling of Moulds and Adams was terrible. These 2 guys are respected veterans that mean a lot out on the field and the situation is nothing like T.O. (Even though T.O. had prime skills on the field he ran his mouth far too much to be respected by anyone.) Apparently Mularkey thinks he can just sit and/or suspend players whenever they question him or his buffoon judgements and that's not garnering any respect for his authority at this point in the saga. Then, he stands in front of the media declaring that he is not suspending Moulds only to announce that he was in fact suspended a short time later. Who can respect someone like that? In my opinion the situation is too far gone to change anything unless Mularkey has a serious heart-to-heart chat with the team to try and save face. Even then, that's unlikely to change the players' opinions since their trust has been betrayed. Moulds came out looking like a saint in the end since he didn't run his mouth, didn't want to appeal the suspension, and essentially took one for the team. (Sorry Mike, this ain't Andy and T.O. this is Mike and Eric and you got the egg on your face.)

In the end, what I'm trying to say here is that after all of what the "players' coach" has done it's unlikely that anyone would want to play their heart out for or listen to him. Ralph has to recognize, as a businessman, that had this scenario played out in a corporation the manager in question would have to be fired or moved to a different location since employee performance would certainly take a dive. What do you think? Do you think Mularkey's actions this season have bought him a pink slip?

(As a sidenote, I was talking to a Rams fan the other night and he was asking me about Gregg Williams. I said, "He's great if you need a defensive coordinator but he's not head coach material." Turns out this guy said the rumor mill over there has GW as a possible HC candidate since Martz is out.)