• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ingtar33
    Dances With Buffaloes
    • Sep 2002

Ingtar33: Bills Future GM (i wish)

Here we are. Yet another season down the tubes. Circulating in the cesspit of seasons past with the refuse that is the entire TD era of Bills football. All that these last few games will determine will be how much we pay our new rookie project. Nothing to be excited about as rookies are crapshoots anyway. And precious few will fuel a team to a Super Bowl, which should be every GM’s goal.

As far as I’m Concerned TD is going to be looking for a new job this off season, likely the coaching staff will too.

Ralph Wilson has precious few years left, and knows it, he wants a Super Bowl, and he hired TD thinking he was getting Bill Polian version 2.0 . All you need to do is look at the Colts and Bills respective records to see how that’s worked out.

As a result I figured I’d write this little piece from the perspective of a new GM. Me. Yes, I know, pipe dream, I’d probably be 75th out of 100 perspective prospects to be considered (its not that big a league), and while that might sound like im stroking my ego, im not. In the NFL, only the top 5 even get interviews.

Well, since I’ll never be the GM of the Buffalo Bills, I thought I’d exercise my prerogative as a writer, to detail what I would do if I were hired to follow the TD experiment

Step 1: Evaluation of the coaching staff and statement on direction of the football team.

Generally speaking, I’m a firm believer in continuity. The successful teams in the NFL are the ones who have the lowest turnover on a yearly basis, in their front office and coaching staff. That said; the city of Buffalo and it’s fans have been treated poorly by the current staff and front office. In the interest of simple business motivated expediency, a full house cleaning may be the most desirable option.

The Front Office
    -Fired-
    Tom Modrak Assistant General Manager (the drafts and free agent signings have been mediocre at best, and that is his job)
    John Guy Director of Pro Personnel (house cleaning)
    Doug Majeski Coordinator of College Scouting (average at best drafts)
    Gretchen Geitter Director Community Relations (the genius behind many of the Bills PR gaffs)

-Hired-
    Tom Telesco Assistant General Manager (the man in charge of the scouting for the Indianapolis Colts drafts… our scouting dept needs to be re-examined, this is the man to do it)
    TBD: Director Community Relations
    TBD: Director of Pro Personnel (this will be largely up to Telesco)
    TBD: Coordinator of College Scouting (this will be largely up to Telesco)

The Coaching Staff
    -Fired-
    Mike Mularkey Head Coach
    Tom Clements Offensive Coordinator
    Jerry Gray Defensive Coordinator

In the end, we need a clean sweep, but I will leave the ‘assistant’ positions to the new Coach to decide. The names on my list of head coaching candidates would be…

Cam Cameron Offensive Coordinator San Diego Chargers
    Mike Zimmer Defensive Coordinator Dallas Cowboys
    Bob Bratkowski Offensive Coordinator Cincinnati Bengals
    Gary Kubiak Offensive Coordinator Denver Broncos

Of that list, I would lean heaviest toward Mike Zimmer.

The Plan –

Offense
    The Bills need a desperate influx of talent on the offensive line. The O-line is the one position in the NFL you can get solid production out of 10 and 12 year Vets, and also the one position you are least pleased about drafting high. As a result, I would lean heavily toward reconstruction through free agency. Especially since this year should be deep on the line. Even considering a nice chunk of these guys will be resigned… there should be solid o-line talent to pick up this off season. This years crop is highlighted by two probowlers, Steve Hutchinson and LeCharles Bentley, both of whom I would not hesitate to spend top dollar to bring into Buffalo.

Salary Cap Cuts – WR Eric Moulds, OT Mike Williams (both if they will not re-negotiate down their cap numbers… if they are to be cut it will save us almost 11 mil under the cap)

Bills Free Agent Options -
    OL Trey Teague – let him leave
    WR Josh Reed – offer an NFL min contract
    QB Shane Matthews – let him leave
    OL Greg Jerman – let him leave

Possible UFA Targets-
    OG Steve Hutchinson – Seattle Seahawks
    C LeCharles Bentley – New Orleans Saints
    C Mike Flanagan – Green Bay Packers
    OT/OG Jon Runyan – Philadelphia Eagles
    OT Tom Ashworth – New England Patriots
    OT Mike Pearson – Jacksonville Jaguars
    OG Steve Neal – New England Patriots
    OG Terrance Metcalf – Chicago Bears

Defense
    The 46 defense experiment would be over if I had my way. The only identity our defense has had with Jerry Gray is inconsistency and poor discipline. I would prefer a coaching staff that would bring back the 3-4 defense if only because from a salary cap standpoint it is a ‘cheaper’ defense to run. Quality defensive linemen in the NFL regularly run in the 7 mil range, while linebackers generally top out at 5 mil. If the team were to shift back to the 3-4, we would have few to little holes in our defense to fill. Tim Anderson/Justin Bannon would do a solid job with the LE, Sam Adams/Ron Eduards at DT, and Kelsay/Denney at RE. Schobel would be moved to SLB, something he should be able to do, with his speed, Fletcher/Spikes at MLB, and Crowell at WLB, would make a formidable front 7. If the new HC were to stick with the 4-3, we would need to search for a DT in FA (something I might be tempted to do if only to get rid of perpetual bellyacher Sam Adams

Bills Free Agent Options
    CB Nate Clements – Unless we shift to a 3-4 front (limiting the need for some front seven work) we will lose him, as he will receive a 10mil signing bonus and a 6.5-7mil/year contract in FA. Even if we do shift to the 3-4 it will be hard for me to justify spending this much on a CB, not named Sanders (circa 1995)
    DT Ron Edwards – resign (may move to DE)
    DE Ryan Denney – offer NFL min
    DT Justin Bannan – offer NFL min
    CB Kevin Thomas – resign

Possible UFA Targets-
    DE/DT Anthony Weaver – Baltimore Ravens
    DE/DT Larry Triplett – Indianapolis Colts
    DB Jerry Azumah – Chicago Bears
    DB Adam Archuleta – St. Louis Rams

Draft Targets-
    OL, TE, DT, OLB, CB/FS
    Last edited by Ingtar33; 12-11-2005, 04:51 PM.
    My wife told me that if I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, girls would find me VERY attractive.

MY WIFE SAID THAT!!!
  • L.A. Playa
    • Aug 2003

Re: Ingtar33: Bills Future GM (i wish)

Figure out how to get Reggie Bush and your hired LOL

Comment

• Devin
      The Octagon
      • Apr 2003

DONT EVER LEAVE US AGAIN.

Fantastic post bro. The coaching nominations arent bad, im a little skeptical of Zimmer, but truthfully id be happy with any of them.

Nice work man!
      http://gridironjunkies.net/forums/index.php

Comment

• Ingtar33
        Dances With Buffaloes
        • Sep 2002

I don't care if you have OJ, Walter Payton or Barry Sanders as your running back, behind this o-line they would go no-where
        My wife told me that if I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, girls would find me VERY attractive.

MY WIFE SAID THAT!!!

Comment

• Devin
          The Octagon
          • Apr 2003

Yeah which is why im hesitant to bash Willis. The fact he has 2 1K season behind this atrocity is a stat in itself.

Comment

• L.A. Playa
            • Aug 2003

I know, Reggie is a great player and a great guy, just a big fan of his and would be great to see him in a Bills Uniform

Comment

• Ed
              Dude
              • Sep 2002

Nice work Ingtar. So who do you like in the draft if we end up with a top 5 pick?

How about Charlie Weiss as a possible HC candidate? Any chance anyone can pry him away from ND?

Comment

• Devin
                The Octagon
                • Apr 2003

Originally posted by Ed
                Nice work Ingtar. So who do you like in the draft if we end up with a top 5 pick?

How about Charlie Weiss as a possible HC candidate? Any chance anyone can pry him away from ND?
                Why would he even want to come here?

ND has given him his dream job, plenty of cash and control. We blew our chance with him.

Comment

• capitolneal
                  • Sep 2003

Don't see many of your post but yours are the best I read

Comment

• Ingtar33
                    Dances With Buffaloes
                    • Sep 2002

Wiess was wrapped up by ND for the next decade...

He'll not be an NFL head coach any time soon.

I'd hate to draft in the top 5... but if i had one, you have to assume Bush, Leinhart and Young would all be off the board by pick no.3 (if Bush and Young opt to enter the draft)

Besides, even if they were not when the Bills were up, any one of them would make nice trade bait to fall back in the draft with more picks.

as down as we are on Losman, we have such an overwhelming need for Line help, drafting one of those players would be a waste of a draft pick as they would eat up huge chunks of salary cap space, and their performance would be directly determined by the O-Line. So we would be drafting them to fail.

In short, we would be putting the cart before the horse.

Even an average QB can win a superbowl with a good o-line and running game. And plenty of average running backs have rushed for 1000+ yards behind great o-lines. You want to see the talent on our offence come to the fore? Build a KC, Seattle or Denver style line, and our offense would look amazing.

In Pro football the answer to a bad offence shouldn't be 'draft a QB/RB/WR'... It is 'Build an O-line.'

MY WIFE SAID THAT!!!

Comment

• Devin
                      The Octagon
                      • Apr 2003

So your leaning towards Ferguson at OT?

Comment

• Turf
                        • Jul 2002

Couldn't agree more Ingtar. Especially with the statements about the O-line making everyone better. The answer is to build the offensive line first. Unless a stud lineman is available that high, move down and get more picks.
                        Lou Saban: You can get it done, you can get it done. And what’s more, you’ve gotta get it done.

Comment

• ublinkwescore
                          Sab and TD are insignificant
                          • Sep 2002

"In Pro football the answer to a bad offence shouldn't be 'draft a QB/RB/WR'... It is 'Build an O-line.'"

If only TD understood this, he might still have a job with us next year.
                          www.gamersconspiracy.com - where gamers conspire

Comment

• Ingtar33
                            Dances With Buffaloes
                            • Sep 2002

i'd flat perfer to not have to pick a lineman in the top 5... if i couldn't fall back... I'd take a strong look at...

Jimmy Williams CB - Virginia Tech
                            Ahmad Brooks LB - Virginia
                            Mathias Kiwanuka DE - Boston College
                            D’Brickashaw Ferguson OT - Virginia
                            Marcus McNeill OT - Auburn

MY WIFE SAID THAT!!!

Comment

• Devin
                              The Octagon
                              • Apr 2003

ive been harping on OT/DT but id be happy with Mathias Kiwanuka DE. I think lining him up opposite Schobel could be good.

Comment

Working...
                              X