PDA

View Full Version : Ingtar33: Bills Future GM (i wish)

Ingtar33
12-11-2005, 04:41 PM
Here we are. Yet another season down the tubes. Circulating in the cesspit of seasons past with the refuse that is the entire TD era of Bills football. All that these last few games will determine will be how much we pay our new rookie project. Nothing to be excited about as rookies are crapshoots anyway. And precious few will fuel a team to a Super Bowl, which should be every GM’s goal.

As far as I’m Concerned TD is going to be looking for a new job this off season, likely the coaching staff will too.

Ralph Wilson has precious few years left, and knows it, he wants a Super Bowl, and he hired TD thinking he was getting Bill Polian version 2.0 . All you need to do is look at the Colts and Bills respective records to see how that’s worked out.

As a result I figured I’d write this little piece from the perspective of a new GM. Me. Yes, I know, pipe dream, I’d probably be 75th out of 100 perspective prospects to be considered (its not that big a league), and while that might sound like im stroking my ego, im not. In the NFL, only the top 5 even get interviews.

Well, since I’ll never be the GM of the Buffalo Bills, I thought I’d exercise my prerogative as a writer, to detail what I would do if I were hired to follow the TD experiment

Step 1: Evaluation of the coaching staff and statement on direction of the football team.

Generally speaking, I’m a firm believer in continuity. The successful teams in the NFL are the ones who have the lowest turnover on a yearly basis, in their front office and coaching staff. That said; the city of Buffalo and it’s fans have been treated poorly by the current staff and front office. In the interest of simple business motivated expediency, a full house cleaning may be the most desirable option.

The Front Office
-Fired-
Tom Modrak Assistant General Manager (the drafts and free agent signings have been mediocre at best, and that is his job)
John Guy Director of Pro Personnel (house cleaning)
Doug Majeski Coordinator of College Scouting (average at best drafts)
Gretchen Geitter Director Community Relations (the genius behind many of the Bills PR gaffs)

-Hired-
Tom Telesco Assistant General Manager (the man in charge of the scouting for the Indianapolis Colts drafts… our scouting dept needs to be re-examined, this is the man to do it)
TBD: Director Community Relations
TBD: Director of Pro Personnel (this will be largely up to Telesco)
TBD: Coordinator of College Scouting (this will be largely up to Telesco)

The Coaching Staff
-Fired-
Mike Mularkey Head Coach
Tom Clements Offensive Coordinator
Jerry Gray Defensive Coordinator

In the end, we need a clean sweep, but I will leave the ‘assistant’ positions to the new Coach to decide. The names on my list of head coaching candidates would be…

Cam Cameron Offensive Coordinator San Diego Chargers
Mike Zimmer Defensive Coordinator Dallas Cowboys
Bob Bratkowski Offensive Coordinator Cincinnati Bengals
Gary Kubiak Offensive Coordinator Denver Broncos

Of that list, I would lean heaviest toward Mike Zimmer.

The Plan –

Offense
The Bills need a desperate influx of talent on the offensive line. The O-line is the one position in the NFL you can get solid production out of 10 and 12 year Vets, and also the one position you are least pleased about drafting high. As a result, I would lean heavily toward reconstruction through free agency. Especially since this year should be deep on the line. Even considering a nice chunk of these guys will be resigned… there should be solid o-line talent to pick up this off season. This years crop is highlighted by two probowlers, Steve Hutchinson and LeCharles Bentley, both of whom I would not hesitate to spend top dollar to bring into Buffalo.

Salary Cap Cuts – WR Eric Moulds, OT Mike Williams (both if they will not re-negotiate down their cap numbers… if they are to be cut it will save us almost 11 mil under the cap)

Bills Free Agent Options -
OL Trey Teague – let him leave
WR Josh Reed – offer an NFL min contract
QB Shane Matthews – let him leave
OL Greg Jerman – let him leave

Possible UFA Targets-
OG Steve Hutchinson – Seattle Seahawks
C LeCharles Bentley – New Orleans Saints
C Mike Flanagan – Green Bay Packers
OT/OG Jon Runyan – Philadelphia Eagles
OT Tom Ashworth – New England Patriots
OT Mike Pearson – Jacksonville Jaguars
OG Steve Neal – New England Patriots
OG Terrance Metcalf – Chicago Bears

Defense
The 46 defense experiment would be over if I had my way. The only identity our defense has had with Jerry Gray is inconsistency and poor discipline. I would prefer a coaching staff that would bring back the 3-4 defense if only because from a salary cap standpoint it is a ‘cheaper’ defense to run. Quality defensive linemen in the NFL regularly run in the 7 mil range, while linebackers generally top out at 5 mil. If the team were to shift back to the 3-4, we would have few to little holes in our defense to fill. Tim Anderson/Justin Bannon would do a solid job with the LE, Sam Adams/Ron Eduards at DT, and Kelsay/Denney at RE. Schobel would be moved to SLB, something he should be able to do, with his speed, Fletcher/Spikes at MLB, and Crowell at WLB, would make a formidable front 7. If the new HC were to stick with the 4-3, we would need to search for a DT in FA (something I might be tempted to do if only to get rid of perpetual bellyacher Sam Adams

Bills Free Agent Options
CB Nate Clements – Unless we shift to a 3-4 front (limiting the need for some front seven work) we will lose him, as he will receive a 10mil signing bonus and a 6.5-7mil/year contract in FA. Even if we do shift to the 3-4 it will be hard for me to justify spending this much on a CB, not named Sanders (circa 1995)
DT Ron Edwards – resign (may move to DE)
DE Ryan Denney – offer NFL min
DT Justin Bannan – offer NFL min
CB Kevin Thomas – resign

Possible UFA Targets-
DE/DT Anthony Weaver – Baltimore Ravens
DE/DT Larry Triplett – Indianapolis Colts
DB Jerry Azumah – Chicago Bears
DB Adam Archuleta – St. Louis Rams

Draft Targets-
OL, TE, DT, OLB, CB/FS

L.A. Playa
12-11-2005, 04:46 PM
Figure out how to get Reggie Bush and your hired LOL

Devin
12-11-2005, 04:48 PM
DONT EVER LEAVE US AGAIN.

:bf1:

Fantastic post bro. The coaching nominations arent bad, im a little skeptical of Zimmer, but truthfully id be happy with any of them.

Nice work man!

Ingtar33
12-11-2005, 04:49 PM
I don't care if you have OJ, Walter Payton or Barry Sanders as your running back, behind this o-line they would go no-where

Devin
12-11-2005, 04:50 PM
Yeah which is why im hesitant to bash Willis. The fact he has 2 1K season behind this atrocity is a stat in itself.

L.A. Playa
12-11-2005, 04:51 PM
I know, Reggie is a great player and a great guy, just a big fan of his and would be great to see him in a Bills Uniform

Ed
12-11-2005, 04:54 PM
Nice work Ingtar. So who do you like in the draft if we end up with a top 5 pick?

How about Charlie Weiss as a possible HC candidate? Any chance anyone can pry him away from ND?

Devin
12-11-2005, 04:55 PM
Nice work Ingtar. So who do you like in the draft if we end up with a top 5 pick?

How about Charlie Weiss as a possible HC candidate? Any chance anyone can pry him away from ND?

Why would he even want to come here?

ND has given him his dream job, plenty of cash and control. We blew our chance with him.

capitolneal
12-11-2005, 04:56 PM
Don't see many of your post but yours are the best I read

Ingtar33
12-11-2005, 05:06 PM
Wiess was wrapped up by ND for the next decade...

He'll not be an NFL head coach any time soon.

I'd hate to draft in the top 5... but if i had one, you have to assume Bush, Leinhart and Young would all be off the board by pick no.3 (if Bush and Young opt to enter the draft)

Besides, even if they were not when the Bills were up, any one of them would make nice trade bait to fall back in the draft with more picks.

as down as we are on Losman, we have such an overwhelming need for Line help, drafting one of those players would be a waste of a draft pick as they would eat up huge chunks of salary cap space, and their performance would be directly determined by the O-Line. So we would be drafting them to fail.

In short, we would be putting the cart before the horse.

Even an average QB can win a superbowl with a good o-line and running game. And plenty of average running backs have rushed for 1000+ yards behind great o-lines. You want to see the talent on our offence come to the fore? Build a KC, Seattle or Denver style line, and our offense would look amazing.

In Pro football the answer to a bad offence shouldn't be 'draft a QB/RB/WR'... It is 'Build an O-line.'

Devin
12-11-2005, 05:08 PM
So your leaning towards Ferguson at OT?

Turf
12-11-2005, 05:19 PM
Couldn't agree more Ingtar. Especially with the statements about the O-line making everyone better. The answer is to build the offensive line first. Unless a stud lineman is available that high, move down and get more picks.

ublinkwescore
12-11-2005, 05:20 PM
"In Pro football the answer to a bad offence shouldn't be 'draft a QB/RB/WR'... It is 'Build an O-line.'"

If only TD understood this, he might still have a job with us next year.

Ingtar33
12-11-2005, 05:21 PM
i'd flat perfer to not have to pick a lineman in the top 5... if i couldn't fall back... I'd take a strong look at...

Jimmy Williams CB - Virginia Tech
Ahmad Brooks LB - Virginia
Mathias Kiwanuka DE - Boston College
D’Brickashaw Ferguson OT - Virginia
Marcus McNeill OT - Auburn

Devin
12-11-2005, 05:25 PM
ive been harping on OT/DT but id be happy with Mathias Kiwanuka DE. I think lining him up opposite Schobel could be good.

ublinkwescore
12-11-2005, 05:27 PM

those are the two I'd go after - you'll have no problem falling back to get them either I don't think - just make sure you're on the phone with the three teams that draft behind us and ask them who they want - as long as it's not one of them - move back - verbal contracts are legally binding - make sure you get it recorded though.

Turf
12-11-2005, 05:46 PM
Yeah I still think we need another DE as well. Really we need mostly linemen on both sides of the ball, offensive more.
And what we really need is a real head coach.

Michael82
12-11-2005, 06:13 PM
Excellent Post, Ingtar! It's great to have you back. We've been missing that kind of intelligent thinking here. :bf1:

BTW, I nominate you to take over for Tom Donahoe once I get done killing him. :up:

ParanoidAndroid
12-11-2005, 06:18 PM
How can something so obvious to the average fan, as the need to win in the trenches, be so neglected by an NFL organization?

This lack of LOS control has been going on for more than 5 years.

An O-line is only as strong as its weakest link. We have several weak links.

Teague is not a true center and gets pushed around. He goes.
Anderson is a liability. Gone
Williams is not worth his salary. Restructure or gone.
Gandy has been okay, but would make a better guard and a solid back-up IMO. Stays.
Peters is on a fast track to learning a tough position. Stays.
Villarreal is decent and will be good next to a good center and RT. Stays.
Preston is a project but seems to be learning quickly.
Geisinger is another project.
McFarland will get his last chance this camp. Likely will be cut.

X-Era
12-11-2005, 06:31 PM
Here we are. Yet another season down the tubes. Circulating in the cesspit of seasons past with the refuse that is the entire TD era of Bills football. All that these last few games will determine will be how much we pay our new rookie project. Nothing to be excited about as rookies are crapshoots anyway. And precious few will fuel a team to a Super Bowl, which should be every GM’s goal.

As far as I’m Concerned TD is going to be looking for a new job this off season, likely the coaching staff will too.

Ralph Wilson has precious few years left, and knows it, he wants a Super Bowl, and he hired TD thinking he was getting Bill Polian version 2.0 . All you need to do is look at the Colts and Bills respective records to see how that’s worked out.

As a result I figured I’d write this little piece from the perspective of a new GM. Me. Yes, I know, pipe dream, I’d probably be 75th out of 100 perspective prospects to be considered (its not that big a league), and while that might sound like im stroking my ego, im not. In the NFL, only the top 5 even get interviews.

Well, since I’ll never be the GM of the Buffalo Bills, I thought I’d exercise my prerogative as a writer, to detail what I would do if I were hired to follow the TD experiment

Step 1: Evaluation of the coaching staff and statement on direction of the football team.

Generally speaking, I’m a firm believer in continuity. The successful teams in the NFL are the ones who have the lowest turnover on a yearly basis, in their front office and coaching staff. That said; the city of Buffalo and it’s fans have been treated poorly by the current staff and front office. In the interest of simple business motivated expediency, a full house cleaning may be the most desirable option.

The Front Office
-Fired-
Tom Modrak Assistant General Manager (the drafts and free agent signings have been mediocre at best, and that is his job)
John Guy Director of Pro Personnel (house cleaning)
Doug Majeski Coordinator of College Scouting (average at best drafts)
Gretchen Geitter Director Community Relations (the genius behind many of the Bills PR gaffs)

-Hired-
Tom Telesco Assistant General Manager (the man in charge of the scouting for the Indianapolis Colts drafts… our scouting dept needs to be re-examined, this is the man to do it)
TBD: Director Community Relations
TBD: Director of Pro Personnel (this will be largely up to Telesco)
TBD: Coordinator of College Scouting (this will be largely up to Telesco)

The Coaching Staff
-Fired-
Mike Mularkey Head Coach
Tom Clements Offensive Coordinator
Jerry Gray Defensive Coordinator

In the end, we need a clean sweep, but I will leave the ‘assistant’ positions to the new Coach to decide. The names on my list of head coaching candidates would be…

Of that list, I would lean heaviest toward Mike Zimmer.

The Plan –

Offense
The Bills need a desperate influx of talent on the offensive line. The O-line is the one position in the NFL you can get solid production out of 10 and 12 year Vets, and also the one position you are least pleased about drafting high. As a result, I would lean heavily toward reconstruction through free agency. Especially since this year should be deep on the line. Even considering a nice chunk of these guys will be resigned… there should be solid o-line talent to pick up this off season. This years crop is highlighted by two probowlers, Steve Hutchinson and LeCharles Bentley, both of whom I would not hesitate to spend top dollar to bring into Buffalo.

Salary Cap Cuts – WR Eric Moulds, OT Mike Williams (both if they will not re-negotiate down their cap numbers… if they are to be cut it will save us almost 11 mil under the cap)

Bills Free Agent Options -
OL Trey Teague – let him leave
WR Josh Reed – offer an NFL min contract
QB Shane Matthews – let him leave
OL Greg Jerman – let him leave

Possible UFA Targets-
OG Steve Hutchinson – Seattle Seahawks
C LeCharles Bentley – New Orleans Saints
C Mike Flanagan – Green Bay Packers
OT/OG Jon Runyan – Philadelphia Eagles
OT Tom Ashworth – New England Patriots
OT Mike Pearson – Jacksonville Jaguars
OG Steve Neal – New England Patriots
OG Terrance Metcalf – Chicago Bears

Defense
The 46 defense experiment would be over if I had my way. The only identity our defense has had with Jerry Gray is inconsistency and poor discipline. I would prefer a coaching staff that would bring back the 3-4 defense if only because from a salary cap standpoint it is a ‘cheaper’ defense to run. Quality defensive linemen in the NFL regularly run in the 7 mil range, while linebackers generally top out at 5 mil. If the team were to shift back to the 3-4, we would have few to little holes in our defense to fill. Tim Anderson/Justin Bannon would do a solid job with the LE, Sam Adams/Ron Eduards at DT, and Kelsay/Denney at RE. Schobel would be moved to SLB, something he should be able to do, with his speed, Fletcher/Spikes at MLB, and Crowell at WLB, would make a formidable front 7. If the new HC were to stick with the 4-3, we would need to search for a DT in FA (something I might be tempted to do if only to get rid of perpetual bellyacher Sam Adams

Bills Free Agent Options
CB Nate Clements – Unless we shift to a 3-4 front (limiting the need for some front seven work) we will lose him, as he will receive a 10mil signing bonus and a 6.5-7mil/year contract in FA. Even if we do shift to the 3-4 it will be hard for me to justify spending this much on a CB, not named Sanders (circa 1995)
DT Ron Edwards – resign (may move to DE)
DE Ryan Denney – offer NFL min
DT Justin Bannan – offer NFL min
CB Kevin Thomas – resign

Possible UFA Targets-
DE/DT Anthony Weaver – Baltimore Ravens
DE/DT Larry Triplett – Indianapolis Colts
DB Jerry Azumah – Chicago Bears
DB Adam Archuleta – St. Louis Rams

Draft Targets-
OL, TE, DT, OLB, CB/FS

Thanks so much for this type of post. I like the thorough look.

I disagree on a few fronts.

Which one of the new HC's has any real HC experience? How many more times will we get burned by not getting a guy who is proven?

Your GM doesnt seem like much of an upgrade. Polian, not Telesco had more to do with building the corp, Tarik, Peyton, Edge, Harrison, Freeney.

I like your approach to free agency alot. A few of those lineman dont seem like upgrades like Runyan who is old. Hutchinson and Bentley are the studs there.

Why you skipped Damione Lewis and Ryan Pickett at DT is a mystery. Both of these guys are instant upgrades to Ron, Tim, or Justin. All are young, big, strong, and are proven starters.

I really would like a bigger splash in the front office. Id settle for a ho-hum GM, with a proven HC. Or Vice verso, but not both.

ublinkwescore
12-11-2005, 06:35 PM
No - we need a proven head coach no matter what.

ParanoidAndroid
12-11-2005, 06:35 PM
i'd flat perfer to not have to pick a lineman in the top 5... if i couldn't fall back... I'd take a strong look at...

Jimmy Williams will likely play safety, which is his natural position and the one he played prior to this season.

I would add Haloti Ngata to that list, also.

Kiwanuka would be a great pick for this defense. Speed off the edge is something we don't have. Schobel will be good at LDE.

We could fill our need for an O-lineman in round 2 (Daryn College perhaps) and pick up a DT in round 3 (Orien Harris or Claude Wroten).

MikeInRoch
12-12-2005, 11:36 AM
Thank you for this post. Wonderful analysis.

Captain gameboy
12-12-2005, 11:53 AM

I agree with the body of your post.
I also think we should fall back if possible.

Ahmad Brooks should have come out last year. This year he missed the first few games due off season knee surgery, not football related. Middle of the year never played up to what he was.
Last part of year out again because of back problems.
I don't think he comes out, but if he does, he is a big ? for health reasons.

Williams is a player. So is 'Brick, but not at 4.

Pride
12-12-2005, 11:54 AM
First off... thank you Intgar!

Secondly...

You all want a proven HC... let me ask you this... short of a select few (Marv, JJohnson) what HC with a GOOD record is available? Good HC's dont grow on trees... and any HC with a proven track record who is available for a reason other than getting fired is even more rare.

I think you have to go with the OC/DC approach, unless you go to the college ranks... but that is just as much of a crapshoot.

I actually like the idea of taking Kubiak.

Kubiak knows how to RUN the ball... knows that OLine is important.. and obviously got the most out of Jake Plummer. He has great success with that program, and has learned from Shanahan....

I'd be happy with him!

dannyek71
12-12-2005, 11:57 AM

Secondly...

You all want a proven HC... let me ask you this... short of a select few (Marv, JJohnson) what HC with a GOOD record is available? Good HC's dont grow on trees... and any HC with a proven track record who is available for a reason other than getting fired is even more rare.

I think you have to go with the OC/DC approach, unless you go to the college ranks... but that is just as much of a crapshoot.

I actually like the idea of taking Kubiak.

Kubiak knows how to RUN the ball... knows that OLine is important.. and obviously got the most out of Jake Plummer. He has great success with that program, and has learned from Shanahan....

I'd be happy with him!

JP and Plummer I think have similar playing styles, so Kubiak might also be able to help here.....

Gunzlingr
12-12-2005, 12:28 PM

Secondly...

I was about to post this same thing. If a guy with HC experience is worth anything, he has a job already. If he is available, it probably means he got fired.

bernielivsey_1
12-12-2005, 12:47 PM
:goodpost: The only problem is the our 86 year old owner is gonna be doing the interviewing and I'm not sure he's still capable of being that precise. But Ralph would only have to pick the GM and the GM would pick the rest of the staff. :teary:

mysticsoto
12-12-2005, 01:11 PM
Great post, Ingtar. Any chance you will be applying for GM of the Bills? I like your philosophy that the O-line is something that we should pay full attention to. Getting some studs in FA and filling in with good developmental prospects from the draft is probably the way to go.

From your analysis you provided, the only thing you didn't really address was WR. If we lose Moulds - which I think is likely (probably going to Philly) we absolutely cannot have Evans, Parrish and Aiken as our main WR corps. We will need a good WR to be side to side with Evans. Aiken will probably be a career backup who is good on ST and Parrish is probably a career 3rd/slot receiver. We either need to draft a top pick, or get one in FA (more likely). What are your thoughts on this?

Earthquake Enyart
12-12-2005, 01:23 PM

I don't particulary care for any of these guys.

mysticsoto
12-12-2005, 01:31 PM
In discussing this post with a co-worker, this was my response:

--------------

This (Ingtar's post) is pretty good. My only concern is that if we do let Moulds go - and I think he will (I would if I were him), our draft needs to include a WR and maybe one in FA also - especially if we let Josh Reed go also. It was already clear that having Evans, Parrish and Aiken as our primary WR corp was a disaster. Ideally, we need someone with height. I don't know if Wilson is ready to come in, but Aiken will always be a backup at best, and Parrish will probably be a life long 3rd/slot receiver. So, if (and that is a very big IF) we move to a 3-4 defense and don't need to draft a DT as our main priority, then I would do something along these lines instead:

Draft Targets-
1. WR - replacement for Moulds and future star alongside Evans

2. OL - top Guard/tackle tweener (but I approve of going ala FA route also. OL drafts don't always produce the 1st year)

3a. DT - a development project

3b. SS - Milloy's eventual replacement?

4. CB/FS - can never have enough defensive backs

5. TE - hopefully Everett pans out, but I'm worried that he might become injury prone. It'd be nice to be able to have a TE attack like other teams have...to run tight end screens, etc.

6. MLB - raw prospect - Fletcher's eventual replacement

7. Best available...

As compared to Ingtar's choices:

Draft Targets-
OL, TE, DT, OLB, CB/FS

Of course, if we don't switch to 3-4, then DT rises to #1 position, I'd recommend getting a decent WR in FA, and then also draft one in 3a) Ideally, I'd like to keep our OL draft in the 2nd round. Since we will probably be pretty high, we should still be able to get a solid player and also grab some in FA!!!

MikeInRoch
12-12-2005, 01:53 PM
Perhaps we should mail this letter to Ralph to try to get his attention. Maybe we could start a grass roots movement for Ingtar... :D

Patrick76777
12-12-2005, 02:13 PM
I don't particulary care for any of these guys.
I gotta be honest with you. I don’t really like the plan.

First of all, he’s got like 5 guys switching positions. That’s a recipe for disaster.

The coaches are once again guys with no experience. Please give us someone who has been a head coach before.

Plus I don’t like the 3-4 thing. Get a big ole DT to sit next to adams and eat up blockers all day.

Plus the worst thing, He didn’t cut Coy Wire on his first day!

L.A. Playa
12-12-2005, 02:20 PM
Draft Tatusui Lutui G 6-5 365 USC in the 2nd Rd

mysticsoto
12-12-2005, 02:27 PM

First of all, he’s got like 5 guys switching positions. That’s a recipe for disaster.

The coaches are once again guys with no experience. Please give us someone who has been a head coach before.

Plus I don’t like the 3-4 thing. Get a big ole DT to sit next to adams and eat up blockers all day.

Well, if you don't like it - come up with your own GM plan. Coy Wire plays great special teams - and for that reason alone may make it hard to cut him. But I do hate him at Safety also and do acknowledge that we need to start thinking about Milloy's eventual replacement.

I do like that Ingtar wants to play complete attention to the Oline and that's probably what we need right now. We have talent at RB, QB (I believe), WR (with Evans but if Moulds leaves, we need a good replacement). If the Oline can hold, JP and WM could tear the other team up like they did with Houston. When your Oline can't hold, you just can't get anything going!

On the D, I do agree that a 3-4 might be better - but that means getting rid of Gray and his financial reasons make sense. Not to mention that we have great LBs and a slight more focus on them could allow for a quick transition (and drafting big, fast LBs).

It is sad that we may not be able to get a coach with experience, but you have to look at what's available right now and quite frankly, there are slim pickings. Jimmy Johnson might be the only decent option w/experience. Steve Mariucci is probably not a good fit and there aren't many others. We lost our chance 2 years ago when we could have had John Fox, Marvin Lewis or Tom Coughlin and instead went with Mularkey.

All in all, I think he presented a game plan. I'd hire Ingtar as our GM over TD anyday!

Earthquake Enyart
12-12-2005, 02:29 PM

Kurt Ferentz.

I'm with you. I've had enough coordinators.

justasportsfan
12-12-2005, 02:30 PM
Leonard could easily replace Wire if given the chance.

Patrick76777
12-12-2005, 02:31 PM
Well, if you don't like it - come up with your own GM plan. Coy Wire plays great special teams - and for that reason alone may make it hard to cut him. But I do hate him at Safety also and do acknowledge that we need to start thinking about Milloy's eventual replacement.

I do like that Ingtar wants to play complete attention to the Oline and that's probably what we need right now. We have talent at RB, QB (I believe), WR (with Evans but if Moulds leaves, we need a good replacement). If the Oline can hold, JP and WM could tear the other team up like they did with Houston. When your Oline can't hold, you just can't get anything going!

On the D, I do agree that a 3-4 might be better - but that means getting rid of Gray and his financial reasons make sense. Not to mention that we have great LBs and a slight more focus on them could allow for a quick transition (and drafting big, fast LBs).

It is sad that we may not be able to get a coach with experience, but you have to look at what's available right now and quite frankly, there are slim pickings. Jimmy Johnson might be the only decent option w/experience. Steve Mariucci is probably not a good fit and there aren't many others. We lost our chance 2 years ago when we could have had John Fox, Marvin Lewis or Tom Coughlin and instead went with Mularkey.

All in all, I think he presented a game plan. I'd hire Ingtar as our GM over TD anyday!

I did one 2 weeks ago! Only in that one, I was keeping Mularkey. But now I fire him.

Coy Wire is gone day 1.

THATHURMANATOR
12-13-2005, 08:13 AM
Intar What are your feelings on Losman?

Ingtar33
12-20-2005, 12:37 AM
Well,

Sorry, this isn't bumping... I'm just only able to log like once or twice a week.

1) I would be more then happy to hire a HC like Levy, or JJ, or any other proven coach who wanted to coach again. I was offering ideas of current LIKELY possibilities. When you run a major football team for the most part you need to think in terms of reality not fantasy. Would I hire Marv on a 3 year basis? In seconds, if I could get a three year commitment that is.

2) The shift to a 3-4 would not be perfect, and would be preferred only from a salary cap consideration.

3) It is very likely either Me-shawn, or Terry Glenn will be available this off-season. Either would make a fine temp fill in for Moulds. In reality, solid WRs are simple to find in FA. It comes down to where the Salary Cap is, where your draft is... who has declared. In general predicting what I would do at WR is a bit beyond the scope of this post. In reality, it is easy to find a dozen solid possession types you can depend on. But waste a no.1 pick on a WR, when you have such pressing problems on the O-Line? That's something Matt Millen would pull.

4) JP... I said when he was drafted I did not like the pick. In the time since I’ve seen precious little that's convinced me otherwise. He still is sloppy, has poor technique, and little pocket awareness. That said, I saw huge steps forward from him this year. He is 100% better then he was when he was drafted. I would ultimately leave the choice up to the HC, but I would personally lean toward, re-building the O-line, and giving him and McGahee one last shot.

5) McGahee... is good enough to hitch your horse to. As it stands now I would take him over Eddie George at any point in his career. Is he the same man he was in college? No. In college he was the finest RB I’ve ever seen. Better, in fact, far better then Reggie Bush. He is not yet that same man. I would be hard pressed to justify drafting a new Running Back

Tatonka
12-20-2005, 12:54 AM
jimmy williams is overrated as hell.

vicmantak
12-20-2005, 01:05 AM
Great posts, Ingtar!

As you, I think Bills need a total change and the worst thing we can do is trying to keep TD's ideas.
I agree that JP is not the pillar player to surround from the beginning and IMO it's exactly time to pursue fans and the next front office to trade him.

For example, Chargers will face a very tough QB controversy next year, and I think that trading JP for Rivers would be an extremely interesting option for both teams and for both players... (Rivers want to be starter and JP will be extremely happy to play for the Chargers...)

Throne Logic
12-20-2005, 02:21 AM
Great post Ingtar! Nice to have you back.

I've been on the OL soapbox since well before TD arrived. It's great to have company up here.

I love the idea of switching to the 3-4. I hadn't thought of moving Schoebel to OLB - don't know why as it seems like the natural move. I like the LB lineup of Schoebel, Fletcher, Spikes, and Crowell. I also hadn't thought about it being cheaper - just another good reason to make the change.

I completely agree on the draft pick. I'd rather not have to pick in the top 5. I just look at Mike Williams for my argument on this one.

Not that I'm advocating hiring any of these guys, I'll be the first to admit that I really don't have any clue what it takes to be a head coach or how to find someone who might be a good one. But, because the topic of who's out there came up, here's a short list, off the top of my head, of some experienced guys who are available, either entirely, or as current coordinators:

Sam Wyche
Dick LeBeau
Wade Phillips
Shula (the elder)
Mora (the elder)
Ditka
Buddy Ryan (now that would be fun - heh.)

mysticsoto
12-20-2005, 10:30 AM
Well,

Sorry, this isn't bumping... I'm just only able to log like once or twice a week.

1) I would be more then happy to hire a HC like Levy, or JJ, or any other proven coach who wanted to coach again. I was offering ideas of current LIKELY possibilities. When you run a major football team for the most part you need to think in terms of reality not fantasy. Would I hire Marv on a 3 year basis? In seconds, if I could get a three year commitment that is.

2) The shift to a 3-4 would not be perfect, and would be preferred only from a salary cap consideration.

3) It is very likely either Me-shawn, or Terry Glenn will be available this off-season. Either would make a fine temp fill in for Moulds. In reality, solid WRs are simple to find in FA. It comes down to where the Salary Cap is, where your draft is... who has declared. In general predicting what I would do at WR is a bit beyond the scope of this post. In reality, it is easy to find a dozen solid possession types you can depend on. But waste a no.1 pick on a WR, when you have such pressing problems on the O-Line? That's something Matt Millen would pull.

4) JP... I said when he was drafted I did not like the pick. In the time since I’ve seen precious little that's convinced me otherwise. He still is sloppy, has poor technique, and little pocket awareness. That said, I saw huge steps forward from him this year. He is 100% better then he was when he was drafted. I would ultimately leave the choice up to the HC, but I would personally lean toward, re-building the O-line, and giving him and McGahee one last shot.

5) McGahee... is good enough to hitch your horse to. As it stands now I would take him over Eddie George at any point in his career. Is he the same man he was in college? No. In college he was the finest RB I’ve ever seen. Better, in fact, far better then Reggie Bush. He is not yet that same man. I would be hard pressed to justify drafting a new Running Back

Great posting Ingtar. Question - are you a fan of drafting OL in the 1st rd. Personally, I'm not a huge fan of this and would prefer to address it in the 2nd rd. Especially since I prefer to have experienced veterans on the line.

Also, would you keep NC or franchise and trade him for a 1st and a 3rd? With the money we will get from letting Moulds and Williams go, we should be able to afford Steve Hutchinson and Charles LeBently as OG and C respectively, is that something you would go after even if they are a bit pricey?

DaBills
12-20-2005, 11:05 AM
Ingtar- when can you start? Lol. Agree with 99%.

I agree about the OL in general, as it all starts from there, but with a playmaker like Bush, tell me you wouldn't grab him and then go out and immediately build the OL as your second priority. I've had no problem building the OL through FA or the draft - we just haven't done it worth a damn.

It's almost like the entire orgainzation was in a drug-induced haze after the SB years, as they watched players from that era one-by-one retire or leave – and they did nothing to address it.

Re: OC's as first-timers. We got burned folks. Twice. It's hard to say what we're going to get under the christmas tree this year. For every MM you give me, I can counter with a Marvin Lewis. The main thing is, it's up to the GM to avoid that mistake. Twice. And we know how that turned out.

But, what I would like in the other slots (DC and OC) is someone who is currently a DC or OC that is dominant. Not, a QB coach that wants to move up. Not, a LB coach who wants to be a DC. Too many newbies feeling their way around for the first time without the voice of experience is the LAST thing we need.

TigerJ
12-20-2005, 12:31 PM
You're hired, Ingtar. Now get to work.

Ingtar33
07-01-2008, 03:41 AM
heh. i was searching for a post on the 2004 draft and stumbled across this gem.

weird, it almost seems like someone at OBD read my post...

(more likely marv and i think alike)

raphael120
07-01-2008, 12:23 PM
But, what I would like in the other slots (DC and OC) is someone who is currently a DC or OC that is dominant. Not, a QB coach that wants to move up. Not, a LB coach who wants to be a DC. Too many newbies feeling their way around for the first time without the voice of experience is the LAST thing we need.
Foreshadowing at it's best.

Marvelous
07-01-2008, 01:33 PM
wow great read..Only read main post. Like that's not enough :lol:

--Man, what a frakkin awesome year for O-line FA's...

Michael82
07-01-2008, 03:09 PM
heh. i was searching for a post on the 2004 draft and stumbled across this gem.

weird, it almost seems like someone at OBD read my post...

(more likely marv and i think alike)
Except we still kept a couple of the idiots....

John Guy and Tom Modrak. I would have gotten rid of them too and gotten some fresh blood in here.

Tatonka
07-02-2008, 07:17 AM
jimmy williams is overrated as hell.

was it hhuricane or jedi that accused me of always saying virginia tech players are great..

i believe this first round pick just got cut a few weeks ago.

justasportsfan
07-02-2008, 08:20 AM
Except we still kept a couple of the idiots....

John Guy and Tom Modrak. I would have gotten rid of them too and gotten some fresh blood in here.
are you being sarcastic?