PDA

View Full Version : The official "what do you want to see happen in the offseason" thread

Bill Brasky
12-12-2005, 09:59 PM
Alright everyone agrees changes need to be made, but very few have offered their "expert" opinion on what they'd do. Everybody thinks it's such an easy job to just cut dead weight and bring in problem solvers, so let's hear what you would do this offseason... please try to keep the cap in mind...

Free Agents that need to be brought in or strongly targeted:

WR - Joe Jerivicus, SEA - a good compliment to Evans' speed on the outside. Shouldn't cost much

G/C - LeCharles Bentley, NO - I don't think the Bills have a shot at Hutchinson, but Bentley is a beast... can play G or C, and I think they could seriously get him.

G - Steve Neal, NE - Not great, but is good enough to get the job done... would provide stability over Preston

DE - Aaron Campman, GB or Anthony Weaver, BAL - Obviously Raheem Brock or John Abraham are ideal, but given the amount of work this team needs, Campman or Weaver are within Buffalo's cap space and can get the job done... serious upgrade from Kelsay

S - such a deep group... Buffalo needs to get either: Chris Hope, PIT... Will Demps, BAL... or Corey Chavos, MIN... Adam Archuleta, STL might be a stretch if other moves aforementioned are made

CB - Lenny Walls, DEN is def going to be avialable to Buffalo... they could also try to get Jerry Azumah, CHI...

Given the current situation, cap space, and if certain guys (Moulds, Clements, Williams) are gone, I think several of these guys could easily be brought in...

In the first round, Buffalo needs to get either Haloti Ngata, DT, ORE or go after Marcus McNeil, OT, AUB... depending on which is available. I honestly feel with Davis and Carr, Houston will take Brickshaw Fergeson with the first pick... their line is in more need of help than Buffalo's (if you can believe it)... Bush will go to SF and Leinart to NYJ... from there it gets tricky but either McNeil or Ngata are our best bet and Buffalo should get either one... depending on who they take, they should target the other position in round two if there is justifiable talent... if not then...

This would make it possible to target a CB like DeMario Minter, GA... Tye Hill, CLEM... Jason Allen, TEN... Kelly Jennings, MIA in the 2nd round if Clements leaves (which I'm assuming he does) and a slew of guys in the 3rd round. Again, I'd ideally target a DT or OT depending on who is taken in the 1st, but if nothing is there, target a CB.

Other guys I think we could get in the later rounds to add some depth are:

FB - Shawn Willis, OKST and Rashon Neal, ND (both should be available in the 5-7th rounds)
OT - Andrew Witworth, LSU... Ryan O'Callaghan, CAL (neither stand out but are in the top half of the talent pool and should be available in the 3rd)
OG - Davin Joseph, OKLA... Charles Spencer, PIT... Mark Stetterstrom, MINN (see above)
DT - Brodrick Buntley, FSU... Babatunde Oshinowo, STAN
DE - Kedric Golston, GA... Darryl Tapp, VT
S - Roman Harper, ALA
QB - DJ Schockley, GA

ZacGriffi~82
12-12-2005, 10:26 PM
I don't see Jerevicious leaving Seattle. I mean the guy has moved all over his entire career and he appears to have found a home in Seattle. Hasselbeck loves to him, and he is essentialy the number one reciever there. They also are a playoff team, and will be for a few years more.

Devin
12-12-2005, 10:28 PM
Echos somewhat what Freeman said.

If I am Ralph:

1. Hire a GM

After releasing TD I bring in a GM who I know if going to Improve our team (both our lines but as a whole as well). Bobby Depaul is a solid choice, there are a few conidates here but I wouldnt mind him.

2. Coaches

Firstly I would extend Bobby April. Hes one of if not the best ST coach in the game, and I want him here no matter what. Secondly I immediatley fire whoever is in charge of strength and conditioning. Lastly I thank Mularkey for his service and send him a sevrance check. While up to the GM, Fenritz, Kubiak and Zimmer are all acceptable choices.

3. Cuts

Mike Williams immediatley. Sam Adams adios.

Eric Moulds would take SEVERE restructuring, but Id like to keep him here. If not plenty of free Agent options.

4. Keep

Resign Kevin Thomas, J. Peters, and R. Edwards.

5. FA's

***If E-MO is gone

Wr:Joe J. from seattle would be a fantastic catch. This guy is very tall, and catches everything thrown his way. Not to mention hes fearless. In my estimation hes a great compliment to Evans and wont break the bank.

OG/C: L. Bentley serious push here. Instantly upgrades line and is very versatile. While wont necessarily be cheap he wont be the most expensive option either.

DL: Aaron Weaver . Poor mans DE but upgrades line.

6. Draft

My first priority would be DT. And I would spend almost the entire draft drafting OL/CB/S.

Bill Brasky
12-13-2005, 12:17 PM
I would keep Wyche too, Devin.

He has already been working with JP... it would be bad for his development to bring in a new QB coach at this point.

Bill Brasky
12-18-2005, 10:06 PM
NGATA becoming more possible... loss after ugly loss.

DaBills
12-18-2005, 11:05 PM
I don't think our problems are all about cutting dead weight. Playcalling and discipline is imo as much a problem as anything. More:

1) No identity.
That's a reflection of the head coach, and the GM. Are we a 'power' running team? A passing team? Right now, we're an "opening-drive and that's all" team. If you say you're going to be a running team, then you go out and have JP throw all the time, you're sending mixed messages.

We may have cap issues, (who doesn't), and we may not be able to build both sides of the ball at once, but ya' gotta start somewhere. So pick one. Not an OL here, then a FA aging safety there. I say we build the D. You'll have a developing QB struggle for a little bit, but having a D that can keep you in the game at least gives you a fighting chance.

The Bears could only put up 16 on the Falcons tonight. But their D is a shutdown one, and they take that trade-off. The loss of Pat Williams was just the first domino for our D's troubles, and we need to reverse that trend.

2) New GM.
We need Ralph to do the right thing. All day-to-day decisions are under TD's control, including hiring a head coach, and it's been a joke. I don't want any more speeches about being on the right track. We need a GM to come in, clean house and make a few bold moves to demonstrate a committment to winning.

3) New coach(s).
MM and Clements - offensive gurus both - 'nuff said.

Signature play: The End-around.

Gray. Well, we could go out and get some great talent, but why bother? He'll just have them lay off WR's 10 yards. Or play prevent and give up 3rd-down conversions.

4)QB?
If we're sticking with JP, it would be nice to have some WRs he could build something with and an OL to protect him. After the display in Miami, I thought that could be Evans, but then, watching Evans him last night and he looked erratic. Does that then become Parrish as the go-to? I really doubt it's Moulds. That relationship is gone. I mean as a QB, would you want to throw to someone who doesn't think you should be in the position?

Bill Brasky
12-19-2005, 07:26 AM
We may have cap issues, (who doesn't), and we may not be able to build both sides of the ball at once, but ya' gotta start somewhere.

:huh: if you are implying that every team has cap issues then why are some prospering and others regressing? Regardless, there are teams with cap issues that have rebuilt pretty quickly... there have been basement dwellers that come out of nowhere to make the playoffs and even win the SB (NE a few years back) the following season so it can be done.

TD supossedly got Buffalo out of "salary cap hell" and look where it is now... in "pathetic NFL franchise" hell.

To win you gotta spend and spend wisely, not to mention hire the correct personel... not surprising that for the majority of this franchises history it has failed to do both and this team loses year in and year out because of it.

I would have loved to hear TD's logic on this...

"Well, I want to keep a corner who never makes plays because he tries to pad his stats... and then I want to draft and pay huge cash to fat waste of space on the OLine and a ton of WR's with all my picks... I will also draft a RB who cannot get over 3 YPC when we already have a 1400 yard RB. I will bring in a potential HOF QB and never give him a decent line, thus making him look like a washed up ****** until he goes somewhere else. Pass rush? What is that? Never heard of it, journeyman will do just fine, we don't need to keep big anchors on our DLine, let them go to some town full of idiots like Minneapolis. Then to compensate for all that overspending neglect of key positions I will pass on several competant coaches so I can bring in no-name coaches and 2nd string Lineman on other teams to start for us. You Buffalo jerks wouldn't understand because I know everything"

Night Train
12-19-2005, 07:39 AM
I actually hope the Bills trade down in Round 1, picking up an extra day one pick ( bringing the current # to 5 ) . I see depth a plenty at OT. I understand the need at DT but all, including the kid from Oregon, have some issues with past injuries and actual ability.

The Free Agent ideas are excellent. Clearing off Moulds, Williams and a few others gives us some room to work with. Hopefully, the NEW GM and COACH will be the types who FA's wish to play for.

Great post.

Much better than reading the " Look at me whine " drivel that dominates the current mindset here.

realdealryan
12-19-2005, 11:49 AM
Kyle Turley!!!!!!!

OpIv37
12-19-2005, 12:11 PM
In no particular order:

1. Fire Tom Donahoe and replace him with, well pretty much anyone. A partially cooked baked potato could probably be equally as successful.

2. Fire Mularkey, Gray, Clements, Tolbert, the trainer- basically can all the coaches except April, Wyche and maybe McNally (the O line sucks but what he did with Peters makes me think it's not his fault).

3. Get rid of Mike Williams. Just cut him loose. No restructuring, no second chances. The guy sucks cap space, plays at a mediocre level and is constantly injured. He's a waste of skin.

4. Here is a list of veterans I'd like to see cut, IF suitable replacements can be found. Realistically we will not be able to replace ALL of these guys through back-ups, the draft or FA, but in an ideal world I'd like to see these guys replaced and their positions upgraded:
Moulds, S. Adams, Fletcher, Denney/Kelsay (the Rosencrantz and Guildenstern of football), Posey, Vincent, Milloy.

Moulds is crucial- something has to be done- either a restructure or a cut. There is no reason why both Vincent and Milloy should be on this team next year- they're both expensive and on the down side of their careers. Cut at least one. AND REPLACE ANYONE WHO IS CUT/LEAVES VIA FA. Don't make the Pat Williams mistake again.

5. At least 4 o linemen

6. At least 2 DT's (3 if adams is cut)

Lower priority: Backup RB (Shaud is too weak), a high quality LB

gonzo1105
12-19-2005, 01:41 PM
Alright here is what I would do if I was GM.

Currently I believe we are under the cap by about 11 million for next year.

Step 1.

Fire Donahoe and Mularkey and his assistants besides Sam Wyche and Bobby April. Hire a hardnosed coach. Mike Singletary wouldn't be a bad choice. Hire Tom Telesco of the Indianapolis Colts to be the GM.

Step 2.

As much as I hate to say it we have to cut Mike Williams(6 mill in savings) Eric Moulds(5 million in savings), and Sam Adams(3 million). That would put us a good 25 million dollars under the salary cap.

Step 3(FA period)

Assess the o-line Peters is the only sure thing at RT

Sign Jeff Backus to a 4 yr deal worth 20 million dollars as the contract gets bigger as the deal goes along(i'm no cap genius). So say thats 3 mill for the first year.

Sign Lecharles Bentley to a 5 year 22-25 million dollar contract. Bentley would come in and be a great center for Buffalo lets say he makes 4 mill in his first year. So that is 7 million out of 25 but we need to save some money for the draft. So really we have about 13 million left if we stash away 5 for the draft. But we also have to take away money for resigned players and RFA’s. So we have to take away another 5 mill. So technically lets say we have roughly 8 mill left.

Sign Ma’ake Kemoeatu to a 3 yr deal worth about 8 million. Kemoeatu flys under the radar but this guy is a budding pro. He is a big guy who could come in and clog up some holes for us and be a solid run stuffer and wouldn’t demand a big contract on the market. So lets say he makes 2 his first year we have 6 mill left to spend.

Of course there are other moves that we are going to make with our money but I don’t feel like drawing out every little possible signing.

Step 4. DRAFT

We will most likely have the 5th pick in my opinion and I would look to trade down. If we trade down in the 10 range and pick up another 2nd rounder that would be ideal for me. With the first pick, I would take Mathias Kiwanuka. I prefer Mario Williams but no way will he be around when the Bills pick if they trade down. With our first 2nd rounder, I would take Broderick Bunkley DT FSU. Bunkley would be a great go after the QB DT while Kemoeatu would take up the blockers. Bunkley has the potential to be a pro bowler someday. With the Bills 2nd, 2nd rounder the Bills go and get Matt Lentz Guard from Michigan . Lentz is under the radar as the 2nd best guard because Giles gets all the pub. Lentz is a solid blocker who would be a solid pro. With the Bills first 3rd round pick, I would pick up Martin Nance WR Miami(OH). Its hard to get a gauge on whether he’ll go 2nd or 3rd but he has great size and would compliment the smaller Evans and Parrish well as the across the middle guy. With the Bills 2nd 3rd round pick I feel taking CB Kelly Jennings from Miami would be a smart move. If Clements moves on were going to need others to fill his shoes and Jennings would fill in and be a solid nickel guy in his first year or possibly be a starter by mid year. With our compensation pick(Pat Williams) at the end of the 3rd round I would like us to get Pat Watkins from FSU. Vincent isn’t getting any younger and the guys we have back there are not gonna get the job done when he retires. Watkins will be a solid pro, but he had a bad year at FSU and will take some time developing.

So draft
1. Mathias Kiwanuka DE BC
2. Broderick Bunkley DT FSU
2A. Matt Lentz G Michigan
3. Martin Nance WR Miami(OH)
3A. Kelly Jennings CB Miami (Henry)
3B. Pat Watkins FS FSU (Compensation)

Bill Brasky
12-19-2005, 01:42 PM
4. Here is a list of veterans I'd like to see cut, IF suitable replacements can be found. Realistically we will not be able to replace ALL of these guys through back-ups, the draft or FA, but in an ideal world I'd like to see these guys replaced and their positions upgraded:
Moulds, S. Adams, Fletcher, Denney/Kelsay (the Rosencrantz and Guildenstern of football), Posey, Vincent, Milloy.

5. At least 4 o linemen

6. At least 2 DT's (3 if adams is cut)

Lower priority: Backup RB (Shaud is too weak), a high quality LB

some of those are unrealistic but good post nontheless.

why would you cut fletcher? he's been the only real leader this year on either side of the ball.

I think our lower priorities should be: CB, TE, and FB in that order... the OL and DL must be addressed first - no if's, and's, but's about it.

A big part of the reason I think JP has struggled is he hasn't had a guy to bail him out -- IE: a Tight End.

All good QB's rely on their TE's to bail them out when coverage is tight or there is a lot of blitzing going on. TE is a pivotal, unglorified position on offense that can make or break a team. Look at teams like SD, KC for the past decade, NYG, and even back when Bledsoe had Ben Coats... JP hasn't had anybody to bail him out the entire season. It could help if McGahee or Shelton were involved in the offense but I guess the coaching staff sees them as non-existant in the receiving game.

I think if Buffalo got Losman a good pass catching TE that could also block somewhat it would drastically improve this offense.

OpIv37
12-19-2005, 01:54 PM
well let's put it this way- my post was sort of in an ideal world. The closer we get to it, the better off we'll be. I expect the first three to happen without hesitation. Beyond that, I just want to see moves in that direction.

I guess I could go either way on Fletcher, but it seems like he gets a lot of tackles after 5 yard gains and he rarely makes big plays, plus this year he started running his mouth. He just doesn't look nearly as good without Spikes standing next to him. My problem isn't Fletcher himself as much as it is the number of aging vets on D whose performance no longer justifies their salary.

I agree that OL and DL need to be priorities because everything starts there. As far as TE, ours suck and it would be a huge help. Hopefully Everett can be that guy.

One other thing I forgot: Franchise Nate Clements but DO NOT PAY HIM. He's had like 4 bad games in a row, and the Miami game was just humiliating. He's a good corner but not worth the top 5 money he will command.

Bill Brasky
12-19-2005, 02:00 PM
They need to franchise him then trade him off.

There are teams out there stupid enough to think that he is worth the money and they will give us something worthwile in return.

doomsdayvirus
12-19-2005, 02:35 PM
my wish list for this offseason:

1. the sabres win the stanley cup.