PDA

View Full Version : Did the Moulds suspension help?

X-Era
12-13-2005, 03:44 PM
Heres the comments from BillsDaily:

Eric Moulds returned to practice today and said it feels good to get back on the field and it makes him feel like a rookie again. He watched the Patriots debacle at home and knew he could help but it was frustrating that he wasn't out there. He called the suspension a dead issue right now and he doesn't want to go backwards to discuss it. It has crossed his mind that this may be his last three games as a Bill. He would like to finish the career where he started but he knows that isn't usually possible in the era of the salary cap. He will wait and see what happens in the off season. He characterized his relationship with Coach Mularkey as a good one. His teammates accepted him back and he feels ready to move on. Being suspended is a low point for any player and he knows it put a lot more pressure on his teammates, who was concerned about him. He feels Coach Mularkey appreciates the fact that he is a honest, straight forward guy. On J.P. Losman, he said he spent a lot of time with him in the off season and thinks he's a great guy who will only get better.

Now, lets not relive the who was right and wrong game. But, if Moulds is telling the thruth about how he feels, was this move the right move? It would seem so.

Now, Moulds comes out and basically talks up JP, Mularkey, and is acting like a class act again. Thats exactly what we need from him and now we are getting it.

Is this 2 smart moves by Mularkey? I wasnt in favor of benching JP, but there is no arguing that he has played much much better since being benched, (with the exception of his hiccup last week). And now the Moulds situation.

This report even seems to indicate that Moulds wants to finish here. If he truly has the attitude he claims he does right now, and is willing to take a major cut to stay, I wouldnt be opposed to keeping him. But it would require a major paycut. Without it, it is not even remotely worth what we are getting from him on the field.

The problem is who do we replace him with. I have always agreed that it would be an issue. But, I think Reggie Wayne or Randle El are upgrades to Moulds at this point. BUT, they easily could cost ALOT to get, and wouldnt want to be #2's which only hurts Evans's development. That means replacing Moulds would be tough. On the flip side, Moulds himslef may not be happy with being the #2, so at that point its a wash and we almost would be better just paying the money to replace him.

Again, if his current attitude is true, and he starts and continues to keep that attitude, and is willing to be the #2, and is willing to take a major cut. I say keep him!!!! But, tahts alot of ands and Im not sure he will take all of them.