X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JWatts
    • Jul 2002

Inside the Huddle

Did anyone catch the Inside the Huddle report with John Clayton? I'm asking because I missed part of it. The part I caught was about Eric Moulds and his big cap figure for next year saying that he MAY not be back. He also said that Sam Adams & Mike Williams will NOT be back next year. I know I missed something about MM but don't know what. I'd provide a link but you can't like ESPNews. Does anyone know what was said about MM?
  • Mr. Cynical
    Maybe?
    • Oct 2003

Re: Inside the Huddle

The only two words I want to hear are he's fired.

Comment

• X-Era
      What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
      • Feb 2005

Originally posted by JWatts
      Did anyone catch the Inside the Huddle report with John Clayton? I'm asking because I missed part of it. The part I caught was about Eric Moulds and his big cap figure for next year saying that he MAY not be back. He also said that Sam Adams & Mike Williams will NOT be back next year. I know I missed something about MM but don't know what. I'd provide a link but you can't like ESPNews. Does anyone know what was said about MM?
      Mike Williams? waste of cap cash and flesh at this point. But, Sam Adams? I have no problem with sh_t canning him based on OFF the field issues and questionable ON the field issues. BUT, who si his replacement?

AGAIN, for the GAZILLIONTH time it seems, if we lose a player and do not replace him with and equal or better player, we get WORSE!

That is why we are in this mess.

The BEST available in FA is Damione Lewis, Ryan Pickett, and Larry Tripplett. NOW, Grady Jackson had a great game on Mon, but he isnt exactly a proven stud and is in his 9th season I believe.

Draft pick? if the question is can one replace Sam, the answer in 2006 is NO! If the question is should we get one on day one of the draft, the answer is a big fat YES!

We lost Pat, and it cost us, if we lose Sam too and DONT replace him, we could be even worse.

Comment

• JWatts
        • Jul 2002

I caught the report again but it was a little different. He said the same thing about Adams, M. Williams & Moulds. The different part was he said that the franchise hit for CB's is dropping about 3 million/yr to about $5.5 Million/yr which would make franchising Clements a real possibility. Nothing said about MM.

Comment

• X-Era
          • Feb 2005

Originally posted by JWatts
          I caught the report again but it was a little different. He said the same thing about Adams, M. Williams & Moulds. The different part was he said that the franchise hit for CB's is dropping about 3 million/yr to about $5.5 Million/yr which would make franchising Clements a real possibility. Nothing said about MM.
          WOW!!!

If true, Clements can suffer through a 5.5 mil season (at least in his mind) for MANY years to come! If hes smart he will get a contract done with us with a hometown savings and a LONG duration.

I wonder if Clayton is right? Why did I think it was like 8 mil?

Comment

• Lexwhat
            • Feb 2005

Originally posted by jp-era
            WOW!!!

If true, Clements can suffer through a 5.5 mil season (at least in his mind) for MANY years to come! If hes smart he will get a contract done with us with a hometown savings and a LONG duration.

I wonder if Clayton is right? Why did I think it was like 8 mil?

Every year that the franchise tag is given to a player, that player's salary goes up 20% each year (I believe). There are also other implications for using the tag as well.

If he's smart enough? If he becomes a free agent, half the teams in the league will be after him.

Comment

• ScottLawrence
              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Lexwhat
              Every year that the franchise tag is given to a player, that player's salary goes up 20% each year (I believe). There are also other implications for using the tag as well.

If he's smart enough? If he becomes a free agent, half the teams in the league will be after him.

And if we are smart enough, we franchise tag him, and teams will be ringing off the hook to trade for him at a price like that.

A first round pick for Nate would be very reachable.
              You're right, I am a coward! I haven't any courage at all. I even scare myself.

Comment

• Lexwhat
                • Feb 2005

Originally posted by ScottLawrence
                And if we are smart enough, we franchise tag him, and teams will be ringing off the hook to trade for him at a price like that.

A first round pick for Nate would be very reachable.

That's why I said we could and should get more than a 1st round pick for him. Since a franchise tag is a call for Two 1st Round picks, I think a fair price for Nate would be a 1st Rounder and a 3rd Rounder.

Finding a Nate Clements (although he hasen't performed as well this year) is hard to come by. If, for example, San Diego decides to make a push for him, a 1st rounder is too little. (What are the odds that they find a Nate Clements type player with the ~24th pick in the draft?)

They wont. We can get more and should get more. There are a lot of teams that would love a run-stopping CB like Nate Clements.

Besdies, he's more of a sure thing than a late 1st round draft pick.

Comment

• X-Era
                  • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Lexwhat

Who in the hell are you rooting for?

If I didnt know better, Id say you were a player agent.

Heres another case of qrguing over something that aint changing.

If Mould takes a HUGE pay cut, accepts a #2 WR role, ANd maintains his current "good citizen" standing, he MIGHT stay. Otherwise, its a forgone conclusion that he is gone.

Clements at 5.5 mill with a franchise tag is worth every penny. If thats the true cap cost for franchising him, its a forgone conclusion that he is franchised. Its not even in question.

I play for the team, you seem to play for the players.

Comment

• clumping platelets

The Franchise tag is based upon the average of the previous seasons top 5 CB cap hits. If that average is only $5.5 million, then that's what the Bills can tender Clements at, but Lex is right, historically, the tender offer has increased each yr. We could get lucky, but I would consider tagging him up to $7 million

Comment

• madness
                      • Apr 2003

I'd like Moulds to stay. Adams and Williams can leave now as far as I'm concerned.

Comment

• eee1776
                        • Jul 2005

I think if Moulds and Nate are on the team next year it will depend on who the GM and Head coach are. A lot is riding on whether they think this team has a chance to win or not. It it is the same ole, same ole they will be gone for sure Things will have to chnge alot if we want any free agent to consider Buffalo as a team to play for.

Comment

• Gunzlingr
                          • Jul 2002

I would like to see Sam stay with a big fatass planted next to him.
                          You think you're hot **** in a champagne glass, but you're really cold diarrhea in a Dixie cup!

Comment

• Lexwhat
                            • Feb 2005

Who in the hell are you rooting for?

If I didnt know better, Id say you were a player agent.

Heres another case of qrguing over something that aint changing.

Clements at 5.5 mill with a franchise tag is worth every penny. If thats the true cap cost for franchising him, its a forgone conclusion that he is franchised. Its not even in question.

I play for the team, you seem to play for the players.

You're a moron. Obviously you know little about the franchise tag. Do your research before comin at me.

You can't tag a player every single year and keep him at that same salary. The value of the tag is the average of the top 5 players at that position or a salary 20% higher than that player's salary the previous year (whichever is MORE expensive).

First of all, it's strange that the figure for CBs is only $5.5 million. Last's year value for the franchise tag was pretty high because of what Antoine Winfield got from the Vikings. But, if I didn't know any better, I would say this $5.5 million dollar value is off. A lot of CBs signed with new teams this year and got nice deals.

I dont know who the top 5 corners are in terms of salary, but they could include: Fred Smoot, Antoine Winfield, Anthony Henry, Champ Bailey, Samari Rolle, Ty Law, Ken Lucas, Ty Law, Patrick Surtain, Charles Woodson, other I dont know about.

IMO, I find it hard to believe that the top 5 averages to only $5.5 million, but I could be wrong. I'm not sure if the top 5 includes signing bonuses?

But the point is that even if the value this year is at $5.5 million, it could jump much higher the year after. Even if the tag value never gets higher, we would still be paying Nate $6.6 million the year after, and then $7.92 million the year after, $9.5 million the year after, and $11.4 million the year after....

Players usually hate the franchise tag. The maximum number of times the tag should be used on one player is twice. To use it more than twice on him is bad for both the team and for the player.

Players can easily hold out, and there are also other complications with using the tag. I'm not a franchise tag expert, but maybe someone can tell me. There's some provision with the tag that if it isn't pulled at a certain date or something, and that tagged player signs with another team, then the 1st team loses the ability to use the tag on ANY player for the number of years that the tagged player signed a contract for (usually long-term). I could be wrong on the method, but there is some provision that a team can lose its ability to tag for a number of years.

Bottom line, IMO, you have no respect for other people's opinions and I wont respond to your posts anymore. Am I doin that to hurt your feelings? No. I just dont wanna talk football with you any more.

Comment

• Lexwhat
                              • Feb 2005

WOW!!!

If true, Clements can suffer through a 5.5 mil season (at least in his mind) for MANY years to come!

As I said...wrong.

Anyways, peace.

Comment

Working...
                              X