X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • finsrclowns
    • Apr 2004

The Decision that will cost TD his job

....is letting Pat Williams go. Presently we are 3.4m under the cap. More than enough to keep big Pat. It's hard to believe this is the same defense that was #2 in the league last year.

If we had a young Cortez Kennedy waiting in the wings it might have made sense, Pat isn't a youngster anymore. But even healthy Ron Edwards is a poor replacement for PW. And with Edwards out, we've got Bannan and Sape, that's like a fall from a 2nd story window. Ouch.

When I think about the $ tied up in Bust Williams...
    finsrclowns
  • onceproudbillsfan
    • Dec 2005

Re: The Decision that will cost TD his job

Good post. I just watch nfl playbook tonight and TKO was on their for a few minutes and they asked him what happened to the deffence. He said the loss of pat williams hurt them the most.

Comment

• Philagape
      WIN NOW
      • Jul 2002

I think Gregg Williams, Mike Mularkey, Kevin Gilbride, Drew Bledsoe, Mike Williams and a non-O-line factor into TD's job-losing decisions a bit more.
      "It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion
      2004 BZ Big Money League Champion

Comment

• finsrclowns
        • Apr 2004

Originally posted by Philagape
        I think Gregg Williams, Mike Mularkey, Kevin Gilbride, Drew Bledsoe, Mike Williams and a non-O-line factor into TD's job-losing decisions a bit more.
        No, because TD got an extension last year based on the way we finished. RW was satisfied the team was making progress. It was all about where we go from there. And if Pat Williams was on the team the D would be a lot better this year and it might allow a "not ready for prime time Losman" to be less of a focal point or benched, if necessary, for the team to be competitive in a terrible AFCE.
        finsrclowns

Comment

• Tatonka
          • Jul 2002

the bad part is that ron edwards got hurt before he really got to show if he can do anything as a starter.. so next year, we are in the same boat.
          "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

• finsrclowns
            • Apr 2004

Originally posted by Tatonka
            the bad part is that ron edwards got hurt before he really got to show if he can do anything as a starter.. so next year, we are in the same boat.
            Even if Edwards is all that and a bag of chips you're kiddie pool deep at DT, especially with SA likely moving on.
            finsrclowns

Comment

• vicmantak
              • Jun 2005

Originally posted by finsrclowns
              No, because TD got an extension last year based on the way we finished. RW was satisfied the team was making progress. It was all about where we go from there. And if Pat Williams was on the team the D would be a lot better this year and it might allow a "not ready for prime time Losman" to be less of a focal point or benched, if necessary, for the team to be competitive in a terrible AFCE.
              LOL!

"Defeat is simply a signal to press onward"
              - Helen Keller

"What we call failure is not the falling down, but the staying down"

- Mary Pickford

Comment

• luigitom
                • Dec 2005

We can only hope that TD loses his job and that he loses it BEFORE he gets to make another first round draft pick-make that waste another first round draft pick!!! I wish that RW had fired both TD and MM when they had the meeting with Eric and then wished Eric a good game Sunday against the Patriots. Seems like the incompetence of Bills leadership has infected the players too. Oh well, I've decided to root for the Colts for now until some major changes are made at 1 Bills Drive.

Comment

• Mr. Cynical
                  Maybe?
                  • Oct 2003

....is letting Pat Williams go. Presently we are 3.4m under the cap. More than enough to keep big Pat. It's hard to believe this is the same defense that was #2 in the league last year.
                  I agree it was a mistake but I definitely disagree that it is THE decision that will cost him his job. This defense has alot more problems than Pat being gone. Ultimately it will probably be hiring MM, the second bust of a head coach that will get him s**t canned.

When I think about the $ tied up in Bust Williams...
                  Definitely the first time I can remember where I totally agree with you.

Comment

• Mahdi
                    • Mar 2004

I still dont believe it was the wrong decision to let go of Pat. We are going to need all the cap space we can get this offseason and he probably knew that. Wasting it on players that are over 30 isnt the way to go. The 4 or 5 million he saved on Pat will now go towards the O-line, and possibly keeping Nate. The D-line can be solved in the draft.

Comment

• Mitchy moo
                      Roways rooking ahread!
                      • Sep 2005

Originally posted by Mahdi
                      I still dont believe it was the wrong decision to let go of Pat. We are going to need all the cap space we can get this offseason and he probably knew that. Wasting it on players that are over 30 isnt the way to go. The 4 or 5 million he saved on Pat will now go towards the O-line, and possibly keeping Nate. The D-line can be solved in the draft.
                      We would of had a better D, we could of won a few of those games w/ PW in there.

Comment

• finsrclowns
                        • Apr 2004

Originally posted by Mr. Cynical
                        I agree it was a mistake but I definitely disagree that it is THE decision that will cost him his job. This defense has alot more problems than Pat being gone. Ultimately it will probably be hiring MM, the second bust of a head coach that will get him s**t canned.
                        Mularkey's a young coach. Young coaches need success to establish credibility with players. It's all about buying in. The fact is that Angelo Crowell, although not as good as Spikes, has done a nice job in his place. Pat Williams is really the only other player missing from last year's D that was not only top 5 in yardage, but causing turnovers. One guy can make a big difference, look at how much better NE is now that Seymour is back.

At the end of the day, if we were winning games, or at the very least playing good teams tough, fans would not be feeling like they are. And you wouldn't have the unrest on the team either. Playing bad and losing big is a recipe for termination for a coach. IMO there's no reason to believe the D couldn't be strong again if it was strong up the middle.
                        finsrclowns

Comment

• finsrclowns
                          • Apr 2004

Originally posted by Mahdi
                          That's really another issue- I'm only pointing out that this decision was the one that will ultimately get TD fired because it helped make us so bad this year, something neither the GM nor the HC could afford. Whether it was the wrong move long term for the team is another question, although I agree in general investing big money in over 30 guys is the wrong way to go. But in this particular case, with our lack of viable depth at the position, and playing a young QB, it was most definetely wrong for this season and that's the world TD and MM live in- the here and now.
                          finsrclowns

Comment

• Philagape
                            WIN NOW
                            • Jul 2002

I think a stronger schedule is more of a cause of the defense's decline than losing Pat. Plus our aging safeties, and as well as Crowell has played, he still isn't Spikes.
                            "It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion
                            2004 BZ Big Money League Champion

Comment

• finsrclowns
                              • Apr 2004

Originally posted by Philagape
                              I think a stronger schedule is more of a cause of the defense's decline than losing Pat. Plus our aging safeties, and as well as Crowell has played, he still isn't Spikes.
                              No, it wasn't the schedule and it wasn't our safeties that caused our run D to go from 7th to 31st. The difference is Pat Williams being replaced by Bannan/Sape.
                              finsrclowns

Comment

Working...
                              X