• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 4thAndLong
    I'm Really 4 and Short
    • Sep 2002

Letter to Editor about Ralph in HOF

Here is the letter to the editor on Sunday, a vote for Mr. Wilson in the HOF:

I recently heard that Ralph Wilson was named as a finalist for the Pro Football Hall of Fame. I wanted to share my experience with him and tell why he should be enshrined in Canton.
    I was drafted by the Bills in the 11th round of the 1965 draft and first met Mr. Wilson that summer at our training camp in Blasdell. It was a brutally hot day and I had just come out of practice when a man came up to me on the sidelines to say hello and that I was doing a "fine job." I was exhausted and said, "Oh, please don't ask me for an autograph right now." Later that week in a team meeting, Lou Saban said that he wanted to introduce the owner of the Bills, Mr. Ralph Wilson, and I realized who he was. After the meeting he said to me, "Don't worry, I won't bother you for an autograph."

Injuries limited me from playing much in the NFL and I was active for just three games in two seasons with the Bills. However, in 1965 when the Bills won the AFL title, Mr. Wilson made sure that everyone got a championship ring - even players like me who were on the injured list and didn't even play. To this day, I wear the ring proudly and am grateful that in my brief career I was able to play for such a quality owner and person like Mr. Wilson.

Almost 40 years later, I am even more grateful to Mr. Wilson. Several years ago, I needed a heart transplant and lacked the necessary insurance and funds for the surgery and aftercare. My doctor contacted the Bills and the team not only made sure that I was able to receive assistance through the NFL's player and alumni programs but I received a significant amount of financial help from Mr. Wilson personally.

Last year, your paper did a story on my heart transplant that took place in Manhattan on the morning of 9/11/01 and how that heart had crossed paths on its way from Boston to New York with the terrorists that day. Some have said it was a miracle that I was able to receive it.

In the world of professional sports, you might say that it's even more of a miracle that an owner of a team would go out of his way to help a player who had such a brief career so long ago. Ralph Wilson owed me nothing and gave me so much.

My son will be a senior at Boston College next fall and is rated as one of the top defensive linemen in the country. He would be quite fortunate to play in the NFL. He'd be doubly blessed if he was able to play for Ralph Wilson's Buffalo Bills.

If the Hall of Fame is a place for outstanding contributors to professional football, I know Ralph Wilson deserves to be in. Either way, he's already a Hall of Famer in my heart.
    DOUG GOODWIN
    Freeport
    Last edited by 4thAndLong; 01-20-2003, 03:17 PM.
  • lordofgun
    in charge of you

Administrator Emeritus
    • Jul 2002

Nice.

Has it been in the paper yet?

<a href="http://www.buzzdash.com/index.php?page=buzzbite&amp;BB_id=119588">Do you like me?</a> | <a href="http://www.buzzdash.com">BuzzDash polls</a>

Comment

• Bulldog
      Top Dog
      • Jan 2003

What a refreshing story. It is nice to know that caring people still exist in professional sports where it seems everything is all about the mighty dollar. Ralph Wilson deserves to be in the HOF. Period.
      I only drink when I'm alone or with others.

Comment

• The_Philster
        • Jul 2002

It was in yesterday's paper...and posted about here http://www.billsfanzone.com/showthre...&threadid=8700
        The Buffalo Pro Cheer Blog...Positive coverage of Buffalo's Pro Cheerleaders since 2001!

Comment

• 4thAndLong
          I'm Really 4 and Short
          • Sep 2002

Log, can you please change the title...I didn't mean Letter to sunday...lol

It's Letter to editor.

Comment

• lordofgun
            in charge of you

Administrator Emeritus
            • Jul 2002

All better now.

<a href="http://www.buzzdash.com/index.php?page=buzzbite&amp;BB_id=119588">Do you like me?</a> | <a href="http://www.buzzdash.com">BuzzDash polls</a>

Comment

• Earthquake Enyart
              Legendary Zoner
              • Jul 2002

Ralph rawks!!!

Comment

• SABURZFAN
                short bus extraordinaire
                • Jul 2002

i'm not a ralph wilson fan but there's no doubt that he belongs in the HOF.
                Originally posted by yordad
                Christ, you are the queerest person in the history of Bills fanhood. I swear to god I would stomp you.

Comment

Working...
                X