PDA

View Full Version : Addressing the OL in the OffSeason

RedEyE
12-17-2005, 12:57 AM
As we all know it's been ugly for a looooooong time. I've been giving it some thought as to what adustments need be made to make this a better line.

First and foremost...Draft: Best OT option in Round 1

Brick Ferguson OT (Virginia) is a top 5 pick and if Buffalo has the opportunity to take him, they'd better not pass him up.

If someone does snag Brick early, the Bills need to trade down to about the
ten spot and pick up Jonathan Scott OT (Texas).

Second, offer Mike Williams nothing and let him loose. Make him someone elses project and finally pull the plug. He has had more than ample time and it's disgraceful to squeeze this guy in at guard. Besides, it will be the ultimate slap in the face when the new GM axes one of TD's biggest busts.

Next, slide Teague out of the Center position and back over to compete as a tackle. Keep him on the roster as a backup for both the tackle and the Center position.

Give Duke Preston the starting Center position. At 6-5 311+ LBs, he makes a great barrier up front. He should be ready to go this season. Preston looked good in pre season this past year, with another year under his belt I expect that he now possess the abilites to get the job done. And it's his natural position. We need a natural Center anchoring this line.

Consider above...We now have Teague, Gandy, Peters, McFarland, Jerman and Rookie all battling it out for tackle positions. If all goes according to plan, the Rookie grabs the LT slot, leaving the starting RT slot open to the rest.

Personally, I like Peters and Gandy. I see Gandy winning the slot. Now, Peters has some get up and go. I hate to repostion the kid yet again, but move him beside Gandy at RG. The kid has wheels and can be used as a pulling guard to open holes for McGahee along the left side.

Teague, and Jerman remain as back-up. Cut McFarland.

Bennie Anderson, Chris Villarrial and late round draft pick or FA battle it out for LG.

ZacGriffi~82
12-17-2005, 01:56 AM
Draft wise, i would trade down a bit further and take Joe Thomas.

1. He is Wisonsin player. Tough, and physical.

2. He's the most athletic tackle in the draft, IMO. He is a Jason Peters clone, started at TE but adjusted very quickly.

<!--IBF.ATTACHMENT_1423534-->3. He is 6-8 305. He just needs to bulk up a bit to be MASSIVE.

-----

Eh..i don't like the whole battle it out thing either. We don't have enough talent for it. We need to bring in at least one solid, consistent lineman through FA.

ZacGriffi~82
12-17-2005, 02:00 AM
I'm also not prepared to give Preston a starting job. He is solid at run-blocking but his pass protection this year has been frightening.

ZacGriffi~82
12-17-2005, 02:02 AM
Another trade down possibilit would be to about the 17-23 slots and take Max Jean-Gilles a guard from Georgia. Very solid, and could immediately replace Anderson.

RedEyE
12-17-2005, 09:32 AM
I don't want the Bills trading to far down and getting a project tackle that might start the first of the season. We need an impact lineman. Let's face it, the Bill will have a top 7 pick this season. Grab the best OT and run.

I'm not sure what you're basing Preston's pass blocking efforts on. He was occassionally thrown in at RG throughout the season, but hadn't played at Center at all this season. Besides, he was a mid round rookie last season. You can't expect him to dive right in the same year he was drafted.

Forward_Lateral
12-17-2005, 10:05 AM
D'Brickashaw . If he's there when the Bills pick, they better select him.

tampabay25690
12-17-2005, 10:07 AM
I agree the Bills really need to go in the draft thinking a Franchise OT...... In Free Agency the Bills need to grab a DT I like Triplett from Indi....

dolphinssuck
12-17-2005, 10:15 AM
The Bills could really get help from Mathias Kiwanuka out of BC a very good DE or Mario Williamson if MKs not available! Also AJ Hawk from Ohio ST an intense good LB would bring leadership to the Bills! I believe any of these 3 could help out alot in some trouble spots on D!

Forward_Lateral
12-17-2005, 10:19 AM
DT Orien Harris from the U. If TD is, god forbid, still around, wouldn't suprise me if he selected Harris.

RedEyE
12-17-2005, 10:29 AM
D'Brickashaw . If he's there when the Bills pick, they better select him.

That's exactly what I said....called him Brick for short though. I think the Bills have a solid shot at grabbing him. :up:

Forward_Lateral
12-17-2005, 10:30 AM
:up:

L.A. Playa
12-17-2005, 11:31 AM
I disagree with this because the problem has not been the Tackles, they have done a good job, bothe Peters and Gandy have performed well. I woukd say put Preston at C, and draft that mammoth G from USC in the 2nd RD and either keep Vilarial or whatever his name is or grab another G like Hutchinson who will be available if the Seahawks plan on keeping Alexander

gonzo1105
12-17-2005, 11:40 AM
Sign Hutchinson, Bentley and draft a OT in the first round.....So LT Ferguson/McNeil LG. Hutchinson C Bentley RG Villariall/Preston RT Peters

RedEyE
12-17-2005, 12:14 PM
Sign Hutchinson, Bentley and draft a OT in the first round.....So LT Ferguson/McNeil LG. Hutchinson C Bentley RG Villariall/Preston RT Peters

I would definitly go with this scenerio if both Hutch and Bentley decided to come here. Dump Williams and Teague.

Problem is that the chances of both of them being signed are slim.

RedEyE
12-17-2005, 12:17 PM
I disagree with this because the problem has not been the Tackles, they have done a good job, bothe Peters and Gandy have performed well. I woukd say put Preston at C, and draft that mammoth G from USC in the 2nd RD and either keep Vilarial or whatever his name is or grab another G like Hutchinson who will be available if the Seahawks plan on keeping Alexander

I understand your concerns about the interior line. Mine are one and the same, but pulling in a G in the 2nd round will almost guarantee another project for Mouse. And Hutch isn't a sure thing...although I would love to have the guy.

Bmax
12-17-2005, 12:25 PM
Keep peters at ot .. I think he can play left...Just think this guy has not even played one season...His upside is unlimited...At center preston will be ok .. just give him a chance he can't be worst than teague in some games....At og we should bring in a free agent say lecharles bentley....Drafting a ot in rd 1 could be later if we can get a value pick...Thomas from wisc. hasn't declared yet as he is a junior.

BMAX

GOBILLS

ZacGriffi~82
12-17-2005, 12:44 PM
To me the only tackle in the draft that can come in and start is Brick. Thomas is the next closest guy IMO...

L.A. Playa
12-17-2005, 12:53 PM
I understand your concerns about the interior line. Mine are one and the same, but pulling in a G in the 2nd round will almost guarantee another project for Mouse. And Hutch isn't a sure thing...although I would love to have the guy.

Have you seen this guy from USC play?? I cant pronounce his name, but he is no project

ParanoidAndroid
12-17-2005, 02:04 PM
Other than O-linemen, this is a weak draft for offense. The pre-season list of OT prospects has stayed intact on every updated draft site I have seen and gained a couple players after the season.
LT is a position that some teams will pick early if a franchise player is there. Buffalo made that plunge a few years ago with Mike Williams, who everyone thought was easily worth a top 10 pick.
Given the long list of OT's that have the size and ability to start for an NFL team in need, I wonder if Buffalo will wait until the second and take a DB or DT early in round 1.
OT's - The list
1. Ferguson
2. Jonathan Scott
3. Eric Winston
4. Marcus McNeil
5. Winston Justice
6. Joe Thomas
7. Justin Blaylock (RT)
8. Daryn Colledge
9. Jeremy Trueblood
10. Andrew Whitworth (RT)

OG - the List
1. Max Jean-Gilles
2. Davin Joseph
3. Charles Spencer (G/C)
4. Mark Setterstrom (G/C)
5. Taitusi Lutui
6. Matt Lentz

gonzo1105
12-17-2005, 03:57 PM
I really dont care what we do this offseason but next year we have to have a strong o-line and a good DT next to either Sam Adams or Ron Edwards(expect to be resigned) and a competent corner