PDA

View Full Version : What will it take to get you excited about next year?

Throne Logic
12-18-2005, 12:49 AM
Watching this game tonight, I started thinking about next year (big shocker, eh?). What bothers me is that I can't really say what changes are going to have to take place in order to get me truly excited about next year.

Mainly, I want some assurance that we aren't going to continue our path toward replacing the Bangals as the league's favorite punchline.

Say we pick up a dominant DT and retain Sam Adams and/or Edwards fully recovers. We'll even assume that Spikes is fully recovered and ready to go. Nate could be franchised. I'm still not all that excited. This cast pretty much sucked all year. Adding back Spikes and a dominant DT just isn't enough for me.

Say we get a new LT and a good Center to build a real OL? A good OL will improve the offense, but by how much - they're exceptionally bad right now. JP is still an unknown. Willis has been great at proclaiming himself great, but 3 yards vs. the Pats doesn't do it for me. Moulds may or may not be here. Evans certainly put up a questionable show vs. the Broncos. Who's the #3? Roscoe has shown a knack for getting open for a 4 yard gain on 3rd and 9. Reed has shown me enough to permanently curb my enthusiasm. Aiken isn't the answer.

A new GM isn't going to do it for me. We all know the problems. If TD is here and makes the right moves to fix the OL and DL, I'd be just as happy as if a brand new GM came in and did the same thing. The only note here is that if TD stays and doesn't address the line issues - then I'll be watching the first game in a dark room, alone, dressed in black with candles burning. . . and a hanky to cry into.

New coaches might help. New schemes and fresh attitudes can make a big difference. Of course it can set you back a year, too, while the team learns the new system.

I'll be watching the transaction wire with baited breath, I'm sure. But I think I need to see at least some coaching changes, if not a clean sweep. I also need to see real lineman on both sides brought in - preferable some guys with mean dispositions. Drafting lineman won't be enough, I need at least a couple of proven vets.

What do you guys need to see happen in order to really get you excited about next season?

Devin
12-18-2005, 12:54 AM
TD Gone.

E-Mo restructured and locked up.

Strong attention to the OL in both FA and Draft.

Our first round pick used on DT Ngata or DE Kiwanuka.

Some of oour younger players locked up (Crowell, Peters....etc)

Throne Logic
12-18-2005, 12:56 AM
Just thinking about this.

Maybe a change to a 3-4 defense? Use Sam and Edwards as alternating Noses? We have 4 linebackers that can start.

It would make fixing the DL easier. Cut a couple mediocre DL's and replace them with versitile LB's or a solid DE.

Thoughts?

Devin
12-18-2005, 12:58 AM
Just thinking about this.

Maybe a change to a 3-4 defense? Use Sam and Edwards as alternating Noses? We have 4 linebackers that can start.

It would make fixing the DL easier. Cut a couple mediocre DL's and replace them with versitile LB's or a solid DE.

Thoughts?

Absolutley :up: Id love to see a return to the 3-4 our LB's are so fast and athletic. If we signed Darren Howard and drafted Ngata (who is practically built for the 3-4) we'd be able to cope a little better with losing Clements by dropping back some of these LB's into coverage.

Throne Logic
12-18-2005, 01:03 AM
Absolutley :up: Id love to see a return to the 3-4 our LB's are so fast and athletic. If we signed Darren Howard and drafted Ngata (who is practically built for the 3-4) we'd be able to cope a little better with losing Clements by dropping back some of these LB's into coverage.

The question is who do you bring in to coach it? Wade Phillips is currently the 3-4 guru in the NFL. Somehow I don't think he's going to be an option. Jerry just isn't the guy to make that change. MM doesn't know defense from a picket fence.

Who's out there?

kinigirly
12-18-2005, 01:04 AM
E-Mo restructured and locked up.
Some of oour younger players locked up (Crowell, Peters....etc)
what locked up in the dungeon? **** that. leave them on the sidelines, watching the game is punishment enough. if i have to bend over in pain watching it, so do they.
although if you put one of those hannibal masks on moulds and lock him up.....now that would be cool

Throne Logic
12-18-2005, 01:06 AM
what locked up in the dungeon? **** that. leave them on the sidelines, watching the game is punishment enough. if i have to bend over in pain watching it, so do they.
although if you put one of those hannibal masks on moulds and lock him up.....now that would be cool

Hitting the egg nog tonight? Oh the joy of Saturday night games.

You'd think these guys might be a bit pissed off after the past couple of months worth of humiliating losses.

Mr. Cynical
12-18-2005, 01:44 AM
TD fired. The rest will take care of itself.

im4bflo
12-18-2005, 01:44 AM
Heck yeah! The 3-4 brings back great memories, but we need a better DE like you said.

TheGhostofJimKelly
12-18-2005, 09:09 AM
The offseason.

don137
12-18-2005, 09:32 AM
The Bills need to bring in someone real special for GM and/or Head coach that addresses the needs for this team. With 5 day one picks we can reload pretty quickly. This team isn't that far off from being a good team.
A a coach that makes this team mentally tough instead of just talking it, a front office that addresses the needs of this team so the fans do not say "what the f#$^?!?!" after a day one pick.

ParanoidAndroid
12-18-2005, 11:44 AM
The question is who do you bring in to coach it? Wade Phillips is currently the 3-4 guru in the NFL. Somehow I don't think he's going to be an option. Jerry just isn't the guy to make that change. MM doesn't know defense from a picket fence.

Who's out there?

Dom Capers. He would make a great D-coordinator for us.
He can bring Jabbar Gaffney with him while he's at it.

We would need serious linebacker depth. (Darryl Tapp would be a good fit at linebacker in a 3-4.)
I would not want Edwards or any of our other DT's backing up Adams at NT. Adams is only good for 2 out of 4 snaps. We need a young starter and Ngata would be the guy.

I don't know. A 3-4 is not as simple as having 4 good linebackers. We would have to draft for it much like Dallas did and we can't afford to ignore OL, S or CB.

We can either franchise Clements or keep Moulds, but not both and just like last year when we though JJ and PW would be an either or situation, we could lose both. Let's say we keep Clements with the franchise tag:

My 3-4 draft:
1. Haloti Ngata (NT)
2. Darryl Tapp (ROLB)
3. Charles Spencer (LG)
3. Hank Baskett (WR)
4. Anthony Smith (S)
5. Tye Gunn (QB)
6. Cedric Humes (RB)
7. Eric Bassey (CB)

ScottLawrence
12-18-2005, 11:56 AM
Definitly a new GM.

New Head coach, along with some new assistants.(Try and retain Wyche, April, and maybe McNally)

A big splash in free agency such as signing Steve Hutchinson or LeCharles Bentley.

Strong pursuit of solid players along the defensive and offensive lines in FA, and the draft.

I would also like us to some how find a way to keep Moulds.

That would do enough to get me excited for next year.

ublinkwescore
12-18-2005, 12:02 PM

Fletcher sucks in coverage.

dolphinssuck
12-18-2005, 12:04 PM
New GM and Coach, good and well selected draft picks. Spikes return will be big as well!

Throne Logic
12-18-2005, 12:58 PM
Overall on Defense, I'm just not impressed with the "46" defense. I just seems as though offenses have figured it out.

If not a complete change to a 3-4, then just a change in strategy maybe. I'm tired of these 7 yard cushions on 3rd and short. I'm sick of seeing teams kill us on the mid-level passes. The complete lack of pass rush on 3rd down from the DT's. etc, etc.

paladin warrior
12-18-2005, 03:09 PM
New Head Coach, New GM, Best Draft 1st round and #3 pick

Plus New GM will be Cold stone Steve Austin

ParanoidAndroid
12-18-2005, 03:27 PM
Yeah....the "46" is on its way out. Whenever I see Aaron Schobel or Chris Kelsay back in coverage, I just wince. It just isn't working anymore. OC's know how to get the mismatches they want. Perhaps if our safeties were playing better, it would still be manageable, but they're constantly out of position to make a play.

im4bflo
12-18-2005, 04:26 PM
I'm not going to let myself get too 'excited' anymore, the letdowns are tough.
I'll be happy as usual that football is starting, but I'm not going to believe any hype til I see it come true! GO BILLS!

Historian
12-18-2005, 05:55 PM
Get a REAL coach.

A 3-5 million dollar per season coach.

A coach that has experience.

kevinj22
12-18-2005, 06:30 PM
I would like to see a new GM and coaching staff to start (keep Bobby April), I would also like to see us go back to a 3-4 defense with the right personal. I want us to get a couple of O- Linemen preferably a left guard and a center. Also I still say that if we can package our pick for Bush I would because I can,t stand watching Magahee not turn the corner. That's just a few of many changes I hope to see.

Devin
12-18-2005, 06:31 PM
Didnt Baltimore switch to the 4-6 this season?

Appears to have worked just as well for them.

Night Train
12-18-2005, 06:59 PM
A smart GM Hire who ID's the right Coach. A signing of 1 or 2 UFA's in March ( OL) , followed by a sensible draft.

In the Cap age, the gameday Coaching is more important than ever. 4-10 tells us we have the wrong guy.

Throne Logic
12-18-2005, 07:50 PM
Didnt Baltimore switch to the 4-6 this season?

Appears to have worked just as well for them.

Uh, the Ravens defense has been underachieving near as much as Buffalo's defense. They rank 26th in the league in overall D. How do you figure the 46 is working for them?

In fact, if you were to swap uniforms between the two teams, you'd probably not notice the difference.

Akhippo
12-18-2005, 07:51 PM
A better offensive philosophy. We have like 4 TE's and dont use any of them. Check off's to backs and stretching the field doesnt exist.

FA lineman and use a high pick on one also.
Top pick on DT. if its to high for that pick, trade down.
Franchise Clements. That way you can either keep him or send him out of the division for picks.
Find a way to keep Moulds.
Shocker: If they get picks for Clements. Trade WM and a first a pick for Reggie Bush. Highly unlikely, but still possible.
NEW GM AND COACH ALSO.

Michael82
12-18-2005, 08:28 PM
- 4 heads on a platter....Tom Donahoe, Mike Mularkey, Jerry Gray, Tom Clements

- Hire a up and coming GM candidate, someone who has helped build the Colts, Eagles, Patriots or one of the other top teams.

- Pay the bucks to get an experienced head coach, someone that won't be afraid to kick some ass in the locker room and get rid of the dead weight.

- Re-sign or slap the tag on Nate Clements

- Rebuild the offensive line and defensive line thru the draft and FA.

- Re-sign and extend some of our younger talent

- Get Willis McGahee to lose some weight, so he can show some of his speed again.

- Find a way to keep Eric Moulds in Buffalo. Talk him into taking a paycut and have him work with JP Losman in the offseason.

- Rebuild the aging defense and stop the ****ing 10-yard cushion.

Turf
12-18-2005, 08:33 PM
- 4 heads on a platter....Tom Donahoe, Mike Mularkey, Jerry Gray, Tom Clements
- Hire a up and coming GM candidate, someone who has helped build the Colts, Eagles, Patriots or one of the other top teams.
- Pay the bucks to get an experienced head coach, someone that won't be afraid to kick some ass in the locker room and get rid of the dead weight.
- Re-sign or slap the tag on Nate Clements
- Rebuild the offensive line and defensive line thru the draft and FA.
- Re-sign and extend some of our younger talent
- Get Willis McGahee to lose some weight, so he can show some of his speed again.
- Find a way to keep Eric Moulds in Buffalo. Talk him into taking a paycut and have him work with JP Losman in the offseason.
- Rebuild the aging defense and stop the ****ing 10-yard cushion.

Thanks for typing all that out for me. I agree 100%.

kinigirly
12-18-2005, 08:35 PM
god bless you mikey :bow:
i couldn't figure out how to say it without nonstop profanity

Michael82
12-18-2005, 08:36 PM
god bless you mikey :bow:
i couldn't figure out how to say it without nonstop profanity
it's very difficult. This ****ing team drives me into a lot of excessive profanity. Thank God for the No-TOS zone. :phew:

death7star
12-18-2005, 08:53 PM
you guys should start the "Fire Tom" at bills home games.

the lions crowd did it really well today, the "Fire Millen" Chant that is.
lot of the lion fans wore orange in protest and they also had a march.

Akhippo
12-18-2005, 09:27 PM
This offseason has me really excited though. It will start with the front office changes. If that doesnt happen though, my excitement will start to diminish because next will come free agency and we should have something to play with. However we will probably pick up a second tier grinder that will turn out to be marginal at best. But all hope will not be lost due to the fact that we will have a high pick in each round and a couple first day picks. Again with the howevers though. It will probably be a steady high motor guy. ie Posey, Kelsey, that will keep us looking for 07. Nevermind, im depressed.

bledslow
12-19-2005, 12:14 AM
oh come on now. bills fans will get very excited the moment the draft is done(especially the first day of the draft). i never seen a more excited fan base after the draft.bill fans always think they drafted the secret steal of the draft blue chippers.,and thinking that everyone of there picks will be hof'ers/and or big difference makers. every draft,it never fails.(roscoe parrish was this years huge hard-on for everybody).

ddaryl
12-19-2005, 03:04 AM
TD gone
MM gone
TC gone
JG gone

50% of our worthless heartless vets released

A FA perid full of DL and OL acquisitions

A draft full of OL and DL acquisitions.

Dr. Who
12-19-2005, 10:30 AM
TD and MM gone. Hire Jeff Fisher away from the Titans. Keep Wyche and April, everyone else can go. Address the o and d-lines in the draft with the highest picks. Switch to 3-4. Franchise Nate. Cut Mike Williams. Sign a few good free agents. Adopt the throwbacks as the permanent uniforms.