Haslett wants big extension and player personnel power....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bmax
    • Aug 2003

Haslett wants big extension and player personnel power....

It you haven't heard saints coach Jim Haslett wants player personel decison making power and a five year extension from saints owner Tom Benson...

To me this means Jim either wants it all or wants out....I think he wants to leave giving him a chance to catch on with the seven plus teams that coud be looking for a new coach in 2006....

Haslett seeking five-year extension from SaintsESPN.com news services

Jim Haslett is expected to present Saints owner Tom Benson with a proposal to determine whether he has a future as New Orleans' coach, sources have told ESPN's Chris Mortensen.

Haslett is seeking a five-year contract extension, sources said, a substantial increase from the two-year extension the coach had been looking for earlier this year. In addition, Haslett wants control of football operations, a move that would marginalize the role of current Saints general manager Mickey Loomis, Mortensen reports.

If Haslett is not granted his requested extension, sources indicate that he would try to leave the organization, using legal tactics if necessary. That would make him available to pursue one of several anticipated head-coaching vacancies around the league. The regular season ends Jan. 1.

The latest news surrounding Haslett comes on the heels of reports that Benson is trying to move the organization to San Antonio for the entire 2006 season and maybe beyond.

Benson told Saints players as much shortly after NFL Players Association executive director Gene Upshaw met with the team earlier this month. Upshaw told them, "Don't renew your leases" on their San Antonio dwellings, all but confirming what league sources are saying.

NFL commissioner Paul Tagliabue is expected to order the Saints back to their Louisiana headquarters sometime in January. Player sources say Benson told his team that he will not be bullied and wants to stay in San Antonio.

Could he be buffalo bound if this doesn't work out and we fire mularkey ?

Bmax

Go Bills
  • OpIv37
    Acid Douching Asswipe
    • Sep 2002

Re: Haslett wants big extension and player personnel power....

he's done in NO- no doubt about it.

As far as wanting him here- well, he's an upgrade over MM but I think we can do better.
    MiKiDo Facebook
    MiKiDo Website

Comment

• L.A. Playa
      • Aug 2003

I dont like Haslet, I wouldnt want him here if tehy do fire Mularkey and hire him I would lose alot of interest in this team

Comment

• OpIv37
        Acid Douching Asswipe
        • Sep 2002

Originally posted by L.A. Playa
        I dont like Haslet, I wouldnt want him here if tehy do fire Mularkey and hire him I would lose alot of interest in this team
        again, I don't think he's the best option, but at least he has Buffalo connections and head coaching experience. I don't want to see another coordinator that TD decides to promote.
        MiKiDo Facebook
        MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Devin
          The Octagon
          • Apr 2003

Originally posted by OpIv37
          he's done in NO- no doubt about it.

As far as wanting him here- well, he's an upgrade over MM but I think we can do better.
          This move by Haslett was expected, most feel he is only doing that because he knows Benson wont give it to him. He just wants to leave.

I agree with you OP except I dont know how much better we could do, the market is bare this year.

Haslett has always said how much he likes Buffalo, while he is hardly a top tier coach I think he would do better here then he did in NO.
          http://gridironjunkies.net/forums/index.php

Comment

Working...
          X