PDA

View Full Version : PFW on Donohoe's departure...

Ickybaluky
12-19-2005, 03:44 PM
From Pro Football Weekly's "The Way We Hear It (http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/The+Way+We+Hear+It/WWHI/2005/wwhi2024.htm)":

The way we hear it, two well-known veterans of the league’s front-office wars — Texans GM Charley Casserly and Bills GM Tom Donahoe — are good bets to be sent packing after their teams’ disappointing seasons mercifully grind to a halt in a couple of weeks....

As for Donahoe, Bills fans and media have been clamoring for a change, and it’s now expected that owner Ralph Wilson will pull the plug on his GM’s tenure after five seasons. The Bills have a 30-48 record under Donahoe, and, should the Bengals and Jaguars make the playoffs this season, the Bills would join the Texans as the only AFC teams not to make the playoffs in the past five seasons.

Wilson’s choice to succeed Donahoe may already be on the staff in Buffalo, with assistant GM Tom Modrak, the ex-GM of the Eagles, arguably the top candidate available. Word is Modrak would be more likely to keep head coach Mike Mularkey (Donahoe’s second head-coaching hire with the Bills) than if someone from outside the organization were brought in.

We hear Wilson, who at 87 wants to win sooner rather than later, would also not be averse to bringing in a big-name GM such as Ron Wolf, who is reportedly interested in returning to the NFL for the right price (including a piece of team ownership) and the opportunity to further his son’s career in the NFL. (Eliot Wolf is employed as a pro personnel assistant with the Packers.)

Word is Wilson has been unhappy with the direction of the team since this past April’s draft, questioning the wisdom of Donahoe’s decision to select WR Roscoe Parrish with the Bills’ top pick (a second-round choice) and then following up that pick by selecting TE Kevin Everett in the third round when the Bills had more pressing needs along the offensive and defensive lines after the free-agency departures of OLT Jonas Jennings and DT Pat Williams.

They also have this note on Jason Peters:

In an otherwise dismal 2005 season, we hear that ORT Jason Peters has been a big bright spot for the Bills. Word is that the Bills believe the second-year player out of Arkansas, who went undrafted as a tight end and signed with the Bills following the 2004 draft, will be a foundation at a tackle spot on the Bills’ O-line for years to come. Peters, who has awed Bills players and coaches with incredible athleticism for a 6-foot-4, 320-pounder, had never played right tackle before assuming the starting ORT spot from disappointing Mike Williams in Week 10. He told PFW that he has earned praise for his pass blocking from O-line coach Jim McNally and is open to playing either right or left tackle. “I will play wherever the coaches decide is the best to help the team win,” he said. “Both right and left tackle are similar, but you do need different techniques. Right now, I feel as comfortable on the left side as I do on the right side, so wherever they decide to put me, I will go out and do my best to help the team win.”

don137
12-19-2005, 03:54 PM
The Bills will lose a lot of fans if Mularkey is brought back. I wouldn't want to handle media relations there. It will be a nightmare.

Mr. Cynical
12-19-2005, 04:04 PM
Wilson’s choice to succeed Donahoe may already be on the staff in Buffalo, with assistant GM Tom Modrak, the ex-GM of the Eagles, arguably the top candidate available. Word is Modrak would be more likely to keep head coach Mike Mularkey (Donahoe’s second head-coaching hire with the Bills) than if someone from outside the organization were brought in.

:no:

If that happens, I'm not watching any Bills games until Ralph gets it through his thick skull that Modrak and Moolarkey are a PROBLEM not a SOLUTION.

ParanoidAndroid
12-19-2005, 04:07 PM
If the O-line can control the LOS for more than one drive per game, I think maybe Mularkey's system will be OK. Right now his system looks horrible and I didn't like Pittsburgh's offense much either when he was there. I don't mind the ocassional trick play, but neither Roscoe Parrish, nor Josh Reed are Antwaan Randle El. Duh!
If your players are having difficulty executing the basic offense, why would you think that a trick play is going to work?

Iehoshua
12-19-2005, 04:07 PM
New blood. Now.

Send the entire current regime packing, Ralph.

Michael82
12-19-2005, 04:28 PM
Please turn down the job, Modrak! You deserve to get the ****ing boot out of here too. :mad: :pray:

HAMMER
12-19-2005, 05:04 PM
:no:

If that happens, I'm not watching any Bills games until Ralph gets it through his thick skull that Modrak and Moolarkey are a PROBLEM not a SOLUTION.

Drama Queen! You will watch regardless.

Novacane
12-19-2005, 05:28 PM
You don't just cut out 1/2 of a cancer. Mularkey has to go too or we'll be in the same spot next year

Devin
12-19-2005, 05:43 PM
I believe Mularkey will be back at LEAST 1 more season. Whether I want him to or not, the players have been coming to his defense as of late and I think the new GM whoever that maybe will retain him 1 more season.

RedEyE
12-19-2005, 06:50 PM
No way in hell ron Wolf comes to Buffalo and agrees to hold Mularkey for another year. No GM in his right mind will want to retain the old GMs choice for coach. unless that coach is a sure fire winner. mularkey is a far cry from that.

I suspect that Modrak will be permoted and he will keep Mularkey on through the end of his contract. As crappy as that will be.

Nighthawk
12-19-2005, 06:51 PM
I believe Mularkey will be back at LEAST 1 more season. Whether I want him to or not, the players have been coming to his defense as of late and I think the new GM whoever that maybe will retain him 1 more season.

"The players have been coming to his defense as of late?" What are you talking about? If they really wanted him back, this team would not look this bad on Sundays. They would be playing hard and not tanking it, which is what it looks like to me. So, you are crazy if you think the players want him back...I'd hate to see if they didn't!

ZEUS
12-19-2005, 06:53 PM
I'll give MM one more season. After all he was a "genius" last year, remember? The whole team has a lot less talent than last year and key departures were not addressed. This is TD's mess. MM comes from the Bill Cowher school, which is good, look at the Steelers. Especially since TD has left.

Nighthawk
12-19-2005, 07:10 PM
I'll give MM one more season. After all he was a "genius" last year, remember? The whole team has a lot less talent than last year and key departures were not addressed. This is TD's mess. MM comes from the Bill Cowher school, which is good, look at the Steelers. Especially since TD has left.

TD does not tell MM to run Willis less than 10 times a game. Get over it, there is no law that says a coach has to have 3 years. If you can tell the guy sucks after 2 years, then get rid of him and stop the bleeding. Wake up people and smell the coffee!

Devin
12-19-2005, 07:27 PM
"The players have been coming to his defense as of late?" What are you talking about? If they really wanted him back, this team would not look this bad on Sundays. They would be playing hard and not tanking it, which is what it looks like to me. So, you are crazy if you think the players want him back...I'd hate to see if they didn't!

:rolleyes:

The players stood up and took responsibility for the Bills pathetic 4-10 record. They say they play the games and it isn't the coaches fault that they keep losing. London Fletcher said that Jerry Gray's gameplan for Denver put them in position to succeed they just didn't execute it. Sam Adams has had his troubles with Coach Mularkey but said it isn't his fault, since he isn't playing the games.

you were saying.

Nighthawk
12-19-2005, 08:39 PM
:rolleyes:

you were saying.

Actions are louder than words, my friend...actions are louder than words!

Devin
12-19-2005, 08:42 PM
uh k.

RedEyE
12-19-2005, 08:42 PM
See, MM is suppose to be a "Players Coach", but I really don't give two ****s. I want a guy in here that the players will hate. A guy like Coughlin that will make players cry to their Union reps when they're doing Two-a-Days all Summer long, outside, in the heat and humidity.

Slim
12-19-2005, 08:44 PM
See, MM is suppose to be a "Players Coach", but I really don't give two ****s. I want a guy in here that the players will hate. A guy like Coughlin that will make players cry to their Union reps when they're doing Two-a-Days all Summer long, outside, in the heat and humidity.

Kinda sounds like Greg Williams when he got here.....I just want a winner...Look at Vermil, he's a player's coach. he cries all the time, i dont like him. But he knows how to win

RedEyE
12-19-2005, 08:48 PM
Kinda sounds like Greg Williams when he got here.....I just want a winner...Look at Vermil, he's a player's coach. he cries all the time, i dont like him. But he knows how to win
Yeah, Vermeil is a cry baby *****. Hell, he cry's when the wind changes direction. I think someone is making his coffee every morning with a double dose of Estrogen.

Gunzlingr
12-19-2005, 08:49 PM
I think that when you clean house, you clean house, not get rid of only part of the garbage.

Nighthawk
12-19-2005, 08:51 PM
uh k.

good point...:lmao:

RedEyE
12-19-2005, 08:51 PM
I think that when you clean house, you clean house, not get rid of only part of the garbage.

I hope. If Ralph give the job to Modrak though, what changes?

dolphinssuck
12-19-2005, 10:04 PM
Vermeil after a win:cry: Vermeil after a loss:cry: Vermeil after well in general:cry: ! This dude cries more than anyone Ive ever seen!

Devin
12-20-2005, 03:34 PM
Actions are louder than words, my friend...actions are louder than words!

via cbs sportsline today:

Coach Mike Mularkey, who has three years remaining on his contract, fell to 13-17 overall. His job status is in jeopardy, particularly if Donahoe gets fired first. Players continue to rally around Mularkey, including one nobody expected, DT Sam Adams (http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/players/playerpage/3006). The three-time Pro Bowler had his role reduced this season and he's had some celebrated clashes with Mularkey. But Adams said a coach can only do so much. "When you talk about losing a football team, there's no such thing," Adams said. "We have to play. It doesn't matter what he says or does, he has to coach and we have to play. When you talk about a coach losing the team, we'll, you're not playing for him in the first place. As a defensive lineman, I have to defend myself. He can't help me in the double team or in getting around a run block. He's doing the best he can and I don't think he's taken a snap all year, has he? You can't necessarily blame him for your performance. He hasn't dropped any passes, or jumped offsides or gotten any personal fouls."

Novacane
12-20-2005, 04:31 PM
If Ralph keeps MM he's just a cheepskate that does not really want to win. We'll have to wait for Ralph to die to have a winner

Mr. Cynical
12-20-2005, 06:24 PM
Old Fat Sam is just covering his ass IMO. If :cow: is still around next year, he wants to make sure it's all good. But as soon as :cow: is fired, I bet he changes his tune.

Nighthawk
12-20-2005, 06:47 PM
via cbs sportsline today:

Let me reiterate...ACTIONS SPEAK LOUDER THAN WORDS. No player is going to come out publicly and say he is tanking it or that he is trying to get the coach fired. I'm sure you would agree with that.

Jeff1220
12-20-2005, 07:49 PM
It didn't really sound like Sam was sticking up for Mularkey at all to me. All those things he mentioned (dropped balls, penalties, etc.) are considered the coach's responsibility to have corrected. If he's not reaching the players in a way that they learn the proper way of playing football, then he's not doing his job!

Lexwhat
12-20-2005, 08:09 PM
By the way, which one is the National Enquirer of Sports...Pro Football Weekly or Pro Football Talk? I always confuse the two.

G. Host
12-20-2005, 08:49 PM
By the way, which one is the National Enquirer of Sports...Pro Football Weekly or Pro Football Talk? I always confuse the two.

Pro Football Talk is a pure internet rag. Pro Football Weekly is a decent publication which in the internet age has dumbed down itself like many mags.

Historian
12-20-2005, 09:40 PM

Amen to that!

Lexwhat
12-20-2005, 10:35 PM
Pro Football Talk is a pure internet rag. Pro Football Weekly is a decent publication which in the internet age has dumbed down itself like many mags.

Thanks!