PDA

View Full Version : Doug Flutie??

dolphinssuck
12-19-2005, 10:10 PM
I remember when Flutie was pulled in favor of Rob Johnson does anyone remember why because I do remember this was a real bone head move but just couldnt remember why they did this?

RedEyE
12-19-2005, 10:11 PM
Because Wade didn't stand up to Ralph.

dolphinssuck
12-19-2005, 10:15 PM
Yeah very likely! I mean Flutie was a good QB and got us in the playoffs and all of a sudden hes on the bench:coocoo: !

Slim
12-19-2005, 10:17 PM
I think we could have gotten to the SB that year against STL. The Titans, got lucky and beat us, despite the fact RJ was QB.... They ended up almost winning the superbowl...

RedEyE
12-19-2005, 10:17 PM
There where reports that year that Ralph came down from his office and told Wade to start RJ the very next game.

Slim
12-19-2005, 10:18 PM
I remember when Flutie was pulled in favor of Rob Johnson does anyone remember why because I do remember this was a real bone head move but just couldnt remember why they did this?

Beacuse we clinched the playoff's and we let RJ start the last game of the season agianst New Orleans, and he had a great game...so we decided to start him...Go figue....Damn son of bum

dolphinssuck
12-19-2005, 10:20 PM
I think we could have gotten to the SB that year against STL. The Titans, got lucky and beat us, despite the fact RJ was QB.... They ended up almost winning the superbowl...I said it then and I say it now WE GOT SCREWED THERE! If that happen in Buffalo we would have won but since it was in Tenn. they got the homefield call!

dolphinssuck
12-19-2005, 10:21 PM
BTW thanks for the input everybody!

Iehoshua
12-19-2005, 10:23 PM
This was the decision that set the Bills back indefinitely...
:(

RedEyE
12-19-2005, 10:35 PM
This was the decision that set the Bills back indefinitely...
:(

Agreed.

onceproudbillsfan
12-19-2005, 11:46 PM
This is what I like to call the curse of doug flutie. Ever since this happened we decided to go with rob johnson as the starting qb the next season and we never seen a playoff game after.

The_Philster
12-20-2005, 02:58 AM
Flutie struggled a lot of the year...Wade had a perfect excuse to give RJ the start in the final game of the season because we had gotten into the playoffs thanks to our defense and couldn't advance in the rankings...RJ had a good game and Ralph ALLOWED Wade to make the switch. Only the conspiracy theorists believe Ralph forced the switch...all it was was rumors started on the radio ....Ralph was the one behind that ridiculous contract extension that Flutie got in the 99 offseason.

THE END OF ALL DAYS
12-20-2005, 04:41 AM
Beacuse we clinched the playoff's and we let RJ start the last game of the season agianst New Orleans, and he had a great game...so we decided to start him...Go figue....Damn son of bum

I believe it was againts the colts and RJ had a "perfect game"

ddaryl
12-20-2005, 05:21 AM
The day the Bills signed Doug Flutie signaled the beginning of bad times, not the other way around.

dolphinssuck
12-20-2005, 05:30 AM
The day the Bills signed Doug Flutie signaled the beginning of bad times, not the other way around. I personally thought DF was a good QB he got us in the playoffs until they pulled him for RJ.

Jimbuktu
12-20-2005, 12:12 PM
instant karma that we are still paying for

Mr. Cynical
12-20-2005, 12:43 PM
The day the Bills signed Doug Flutie signaled the beginning of bad times, not the other way around.

The bad times started long before that....they started the moment Kelly retired.

Todd Collins. 2nd round bust. Been a backup in KC since '98 and has thrown a total of 37 passes during that time. Talk about a cushy job.
Billy Joe Overthrow. Moron. Out of football by '99.
Rob Johnson. $15M megabust. He has never played a full season in his career. He left here in '02 and was a backup up one year for Tampa and one year for Oakland. Out of football by '03.
Flutie left here in '00 and started one year in SD in '01 with lame duck coach Mike Riley. Been a backup since '02 behind Brees and now Brady.
Drew Bledsoe. $21M+/#1 pick superbust. 3 years and nothing to show for it.
JP Losman. 9 games. Can't tell anything yet.FWIW - I liked Flutie but always knew he would never take us the distance. But from the available QBs at the time (including RJ) he still gave us the best chance to win some games.

pats-were-right
12-20-2005, 12:52 PM
Didn't you lose the RJ playoff game on some flukey last minute thing though?

He put up the points from what I remember, i..e, you didn't lose because of RJ.

dannyek71
12-20-2005, 12:57 PM
RJ had his great game against Indy at home.

RJ played crappy the 1st 3 quarters of the music city forward pass game, then played great in the 4th

Gunzlingr
12-20-2005, 01:12 PM
I wish we had a real OL! :cry:

Mudflap1
12-20-2005, 01:12 PM
Look, I'm not a Rob Johnson fan, but the guy drove the team for a 4th quarter comeback against a really good 13-3 Tennessee Titans team with a dominant defense. He put us in position to win. You can't blame that horrible last second play on him.

I for one liked the move to start Johnson that game. Flutie had a great year the year before. He had an okay year in '99, but he was really struggling by the end of the year. We were winning games, but it was because we had the number #1 defense in the NFL. Flutie was doing enough for us to just get by. Johnson, while he never lived up to the hype, had moments of brilliance where he could light it up. He lit up the Colts the last game, and the coach felt he gave them the best chance in the playoffs to put up more points than Flutie. More points + #1 defense = good chance to win playoff games. Again, not a Johnson fan, but he did his job against the Titans, he drove the team for the win and had in place with seconds left. The special teams (Ronnie Jones?) are the ones that blew it, along with an obviously controversial call.

You can bash Johnson all you want, he has given us plently of reasons. But please, don't sound like an uneducated fan and say that he lost us the Titans game and we would've gone to the Super Bowl with Flutie. If Flutie was so great, then why couldn't we beat the carp in the first round of the playoffs the year before? Get real guys...

Jon

bledslow
12-20-2005, 08:24 PM
if flutie started thet tenn playoff game,bills win by 10 points(easily). does not mean they win the next playoff game,but they would have beat tenn. they just had to start rj,and they payed for it.

dolphinssuck
12-20-2005, 08:40 PM
We would have won that game with DF for sure thats why I didnt get them benching him. :coocoo: He proved himself time and time again but was shafted by the Bills!

Historian
12-20-2005, 09:26 PM

You must be thinking of another team....

McBFLO
12-21-2005, 01:21 AM
I cant believe we're still talking about the Mullett. Will you just get over him already? He was never a very good QB in the NFL. Why do you think he spent most of his career in the CFL?

dolphinssuck
12-21-2005, 11:49 AM
I cant believe we're still talking about the Mullett. Will you just get over him already? He was never a very good QB in the NFL. Why do you think he spent most of his career in the CFL?Wasnt that bad either and so what if he played in the CFL he still got Buffalo in the playoffs in his time there.