Bill Walsh as next Bills Head Coach and General Manager?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • FirstDownBills
    Your rebirth can't hurt
    • Dec 2005

Bill Walsh as next Bills Head Coach and General Manager?

If I were Ralph I'd give him a call even though he's already employed at Stanford. I mean the guy is knowledgeable about the game of football and also a winner. Look at how he turned the San Francisco franchise around. Personally, if he was interested I would give him full power to turn Buffalo in a perennial contender. He could get the right players to integrate the West Coast offense (solid offensive line, blocking and receiving tight end, fullback and halfback) and finally switch the base defense to a 3-4 considering we don't have the players to even be playing a 4-3 to begin with. Thoughts?

Marv Levy Era

Regular Season Record: 0-0-0
    Playoff Record: 0-0
    Super Bowl Appearances: 0
    Super Bowl Wins: 0
  • vicmantak
    • Jun 2005

Re: Bill Walsh as next Bills Head Coach and General Manager?

As I mentioned you before I really like your suggestion. Bill Walsh is a smart and charismatic leader who could be easily surrounded of talented and EXPERIENCED staff.

IMHO he would be a better head coach than Jimmy Johnson or any "novel" prospect...

"Defeat is simply a signal to press onward"
    - Helen Keller

"What we call failure is not the falling down, but the staying down"

- Mary Pickford

Comment

• Throne Logic
      Terry Tate - Outside Linebacker
      • Aug 2002

I don't know. His return to the 49'ers didn't really help them out much.

It's getting hard to tell what the "West Coast" offense is anymore. There are so many flavors and spin-offs that it's become somewhat diluted.

I don't care what offense we run, so long as we run an actual offense. We need and identity.
      Still searching for that offensive rhythm.

Comment

• dolphinssuck
        • Dec 2005

Bill Walsh is a good coach but Im not sure how the Bills would do in the West Coast Offense!

Comment

• dannyek71
          Drink Responsibly
          • Dec 2004

How about Ditka?

Who'd win in a fight, god or Ditka.

Trick question. Ditka is god
          [

Comment

• dolphinssuck
            • Dec 2005

Id like Ditka to come in and coach us but wont happen hes done!

Comment

• RedEyE
              • Jul 2002

With the exception of maybe Jimmy Johnson, I think you can count out most of the old school coaches. And if Jimmy does happen to go back on his word and come out of retirement, he'll go to Houston. He's more comfortable there with the Texans.

I'll say it again and then ensue the wrath of many.

I like Mooch. I think the Bills are already well equipped for his style offense. JP has the perfect match athletisisim necessary for Mooch's variety of the West Coast offense. Similar out-of-pocket hardnose ability like Steve Young, and a strong arm to boot. He just needs tweeking. The way I see it, he'll need that anyway as soon as the new coach unpacks in Mularkey's office.

In Mularkey's offense JP was expected to sit in the pocket and fire to his primary target. If the primary target was covered, then JP was expected to roll out and find his second and third targets. Those guys were also expected to adjust accordingly. From my perspective, the start of the season JP was not picking up on his 2nd and 3rd WRs. Not entirely his fault. He was missing easy 5 yard dinks, but the WRs were also not adjusting properly. Towards the end of this season that was corrected by both JP and his targets.

In Mooch's WCO, JP will be expected to roll out first then throw. This then opens up the middle for pocket passing later in the game. Harrington couldn't grasp this. He is more of a pocket passer (like Holcomb). The coaches scheme and QB were mismathced. Millen thought he could correct this by delivering several top notch WRs. Wrong. This is also precisely why Garcia had more success in Mooch's O. He is entirely more mobile. Problem with Garcia was that he lacks the arm strength to stretch the field and he also had a series of injuries that kept him off the field.

McGahee has seemed like he has quit the second half of this season, but I think it has more to do with Mularkey's offense then anything else. McGahee is a power back that needs reps to build momentum. The WCO depends on a good runnig game. Mooch will also get McGahee more involved in the passing game. Personally, I think Shaud Williams is a Special Teams type player and I never understood Mularkey's facination with him. McGahee was the best thing going for Buffalo this season and Mularkey lost him by simply not playing him.

Remember when Mularkey called Willis out a few game into the season, saying that he needed to stop dancing and hit the hole. Well, of course that works well when you have a team that believes in you. Along the way Mularkey lost this team becasue of the horrible descions that he met along the way. MM and his desperate passing attack left this power rushing team behind. McGahee lost respect for MM and it clearly shows on the field.

Mooch will also find away to get Moulds resigned. In his offense he needs the veteran possesion WR risking life and limb through the middle of swarming defenses. Besides, who else will be available that best matches Evans downfield strides.

If Kevin Everret is all that he is made out to be, then again he too fits Mooch's scheme perfectly. A receiveing TE with the speed of a WR. My major concern with Everret is his blocking abilities.

Considering the above...All that needs to be addressed under Mariucci upon his arrival is the OL. Just as it is now. Just as it will be under any new coach.

Comment

• AngryTeste
                Site Antagonist
                • Oct 2005

Maybe you guys could take Herm Edwards. Hopefully he'll be looking for a job after the season. He's gone to the playoffs three out of four years...

Comment

• DynaPaul
                  • Sep 2003

I heard that Ralph has employed top scientists to resurrect Vince Lombardi from the dead and that he'll be given total control as GM and Coach.

Comment

• RedEyE
                    • Jul 2002

Originally posted by DevilPaul
                    I heard that Ralph has employed top scientists to resurrect Vince Lombardi from the dead and that he'll be given total control as GM and Coach.
                    Sweet! You mean Dr. Frankenstein.

Comment

• ublinkwescore
                      Sab and TD are insignificant
                      • Sep 2002

screw that - in that case, I want Chuck Knoll or whoever it is that coached the Steelers to their superbowls - anyone that can make Terry Bradshaw into a Superbowl QB has my vote - he was obviously among the weakest of all SB winning QBs.
                      www.gamersconspiracy.com - where gamers conspire

Comment

• DaBills
                        • Sep 2004

No wrath here, but I just think mooch coming in fresh off his Detroit stint will have too much baggage. And the situation at Qb may be the same. Harrington hasn't panned out, even with new blood, (albeit underperforming blood) at WR this year. Can anyone say Evans and co have broken out here at WR? If Mooch can't work with a #1 WR in the draft as he had in Detroit, how's he going to be able to handle the vets we have here?

The dude was also henpecked by Walsh in SF and Millen in Detroit and I think he needs time away.
                        “The Bills: better than the record indicates.”

Comment

• Historian
                          2020-2023 AFC East Champions!
                          • Dec 2002

Walsh would do....

Comment

• DaBills
                            • Sep 2004

"...Terry Bradshaw into a Superbowl QB has my vote - he was obviously among the weakest of all SB winning QBs."

Two words: Trent Dilfer.
                            “The Bills: better than the record indicates.”

Comment

• vicmantak
                              • Jun 2005

Originally posted by DevilPaul
                              LOL! but I'll give my "coins" that Bill Walsh would make this team respectable again.

"Defeat is simply a signal to press onward"
                              - Helen Keller

"What we call failure is not the falling down, but the staying down"

- Mary Pickford

Comment

Working...
                              X