PDA

View Full Version : A Different View...

Lexwhat
12-20-2005, 11:42 PM
So I have been thinking about how things would change with a new GM and a new Head-Coach. To start with, IMO, we are NOT going to make the playoffs next year. Even if we do, we are not going very far and we won't be threats for more than a year or two. Therefore, start the changes ASAP and build a young and talented team rather than an old talented team.

Throughout the season I have wanted to keep a couple of our vets. However, I am starting to feel differently.

Here is what I think:
Get rid of Troy Vincent, Lawyer Milloy, Damion Shelton, Joe Burns, Sam Aiken, Coy Wire, Josh Reed, Mike Williams, Bennie Anderson, Chris Villarial, Mark Campbell, Ryan Neufeld, Jeff Posey, Sam Adams, and Trey Teague. Moulds is questionable.

Those guys are not part of our future plans. I know, some are good special teams players, but we can find plenty of those in free agency for the vet minimum. The only vets I want to keep are Gandy, Fletcher, Spikes, and Moulds at a reduced rate. Do I think we will regress at key positions? Certainly. But any team in this NFL can go 4-12, so who cares? It's better to take our biggest cap hits now to have more space in the future. This is similar to what Nick Saban is doing in Miami.

Now, I know it seems like I'm not saying anything new. But my main point is that I dont want to go on a spending spree this off-season. It's time to build this team through the draft AND THEN use free agency to supplement what we have drafted. Let's draft first and see what we can get. If you look at the Chicago Bears, there are only a few vets (Mohammad, Urlacher, Thomas Jones, Ruben Brown, Fred Miller, and Ogunleye) and the rest are very young players that are all getting better.

The only free agents I want to go after are young guys with upside. No older guys at all. LeCharles Bentley and Steve Hutchinson are good names if we can land either of them. Both would be regulars on our O-Line for years to come. I also wouldnt mind if Preston goes in there since I know we won't make the playoffs next year anyways - let him take his lumps as well.

Through the draft, we should be able to land at least 1 O-Tackle, 1 Guard, 1 D-Lineman (either Kiwi, Williams, or Ngata), 1 WR, and 1 Strong Safety that can be reliable starters in 2007. Let most of those young guys start and take their lumps.

These guys should become full-time starters in 2006 for good: Angelo Crowell, Rashard Baker, Kevin Everett / Tim Euhus, Roscoe Parrish (for Reed), Duke Preston (in case we don't sign both Bentley and Hutchinson).

Bottom line, there are only quick fixes in this league for teams that are close to being super bowl contenders. The Bills need more than quick fixes. The sooner we all realize that we are not going anywhere next year, the better off we'll be as a football team.

Thoughts?

G. Host
12-20-2005, 11:56 PM
Crowel is too small to replace Posey.
Reed is a great blocking back and until the RBs can block (and Parrish will never be more than a speed bump) we need him.
Wire is a very good special teams player and I understand your point about getting younger guys last time the Bills tried to go youth, special teams sucked.

Neither Reed nor Wire will command big dollars so they are worth veteran minimum.

I'd trade McGahee as well and make sure we had a young QB with upside as well rather than Mathews or some other broken down veteran. Hire a QB assistant coach if they need that.

Lexwhat
12-21-2005, 12:24 AM
Crowel is too small to replace Posey.
Reed is a great blocking back and until the RBs can block (and Parrish will never be more than a speed bump) we need him.
Wire is a very good special teams player and I understand your point about getting younger guys last time the Bills tried to go youth, special teams sucked.

Neither Reed nor Wire will command big dollars so they are worth veteran minimum.

I'd trade McGahee as well and make sure we had a young QB with upside as well rather than Mathews or some other broken down veteran. Hire a QB assistant coach if they need that.

Perhaps Crowell is small. However, I do think he deserves a shot and think he could be successful. There are other strong-side LBers that are Crowell's size.

Reed is a good blocker but is a liability when playing on Offense. There are plenty of Free Agent receivers out there who can block as well as catch and wouldn't cost much more. If in a 3-4 WR set, one of the WRs (Josh Reed) cant catch and will make critical drops, then who cares if he can block? As far as Roscoe Parrish goes, small guys can block too if they can learn better techniques. Pound for pound, Santana Moss and Marvin Harrison are very good blockers for their size.

As far as Wire goes, he's another major liability on Defense. I don't think it's smart to waste a roster spot on a guy who will never amount to even a solid back-up on either defense or offense....Last time we went young we sucked on ST? Right now, we have Bobby April and he's going to get it done. We lost our leading special teams tackler, Pierson Prioleau, and our coverage teams are just as good as last year. IMO, someone else will step up in place of Aiken, Wire, and Reed.

I really like your point about finding a young QB with upside.

My main point is that we need to find solid and complete players in all roster spots. All backup players, including special teamers, should be solid all-around and be able to step into a starting role if needed. How do you think New England and Philadelphia can win so much even after they have injury after injury? IMO, guys like Coy Wire, Sam Aiken, Josh Reed will never be servicable starters for even a few games.

Marv Levy said something along the lines of "if a player has been on the team for 3-4 years and isn't pushing for a starting job by then, he should be let go." Surely you knew his philosophy.