GM/Coaches and Buffalo's upcoming unsettling offseason.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RedEyE
    • Jul 2002

GM/Coaches and Buffalo's upcoming unsettling offseason.

Tired of an ex-Steeler staff invading Buffalo territory? Well, after you read this you will be.

I think that it's safe to say Ralph Wilson will be dropping the Whammy Weenie on Tom Doanahoe's future as GM in Buffalo. There has been incredibly way too much speculation and rumor running amuck media headlines. But if so, who do you get to replace TD?

While Donahoe's tenure hasn't exactly upheld Bills fans expectations, Tom hasn't exactly done poorly in keeping fans intrigued enough to keep them buying up seats. Whether or not his ticket selling tactics were propelled purposfully, it is probably safe to say that if TD remains Managing the Bills, rocketing ticket sales will quickly extinguish. After all winning games is what fans are truly wanting to witness.

So, Ralph's decision, while not ultimately difficult, it still offers issue. Lose the unsuccesful GM and you also lose the marketing genius that brought you the likes of Drew Bledsoe, JP Losman, and Willis McGahee, not to mention 2 head coaches that inflated the hopes of many. As the old saying goes, "If you build it, they will come." Well, the fans came, but what was built surely isn't enough to keep them coming back for more. As the other saying goes "Built like a brick **** house." Well, something definitly stinks in B-Lo.

This leads me to a somewhat apprehensive prediction. While I know many would care to witness a full cleansing, what I suspect we might recieve would only be the tip of what should of been a full on front office enema.

Donahoe out - Modrak up. A Tom for a Tom...After all Tom (Modrak) might retain some of Tom's (Doanhoe) marketing methods which then continues to line the already fat pockets of good ol' Mr. Wilson. Perhaps with the new Tom, a change of luck from the old Tom. Perhaps not.

Mularkey to live another day. If Modrak is in, then Mike Mularkey will more than likely remain, at least through to the end of his contract of one more year. After all, why would Wilson want to pay for two Head Coaches only to receive the work of one? I highly doubt a renegotiation will be discussed.

From 1st to worst to 1st....Jerry Gray's offense has plummeted a full 31 spots in just one years time. It makes you wonder how much the Bills powerful defense from recent years hadn't been more manipulated by Defensive guru Gregg Williams, and even more recently, Dick LeBeau. Still, Gray will have an opportunity to interview for a HC job in the NFL. It has already been reported that the Rams have put him on a short list. This could be a blessing in disguise. Get rid of the brain child behind this defensive train wreck and perhaps the multitude of talent on this Bills D could flourish. If he doesn't get the job, I imagine Mularkey and Modrak might wave "bye-bye" to Gray-er days anyway.

Which brings me to a certain level of heightened excitement. Mularkey knows and has worked with Mike Archer, a former Steeler coaching assit. Mike is currently down in Kentucky taming Wild Cats. He has a plethora of defensive experience enabling him for a future DC candidacy in the pros. 3 years of college ball as an asst. coach will obvioulsy have you wanting to climb back up to the top for more. His skills as a 3-4 linebacker coach are enough alone to land him alongside the likes of Fletcher, Spike, Crowell, and Posey.

No more Pittsburgh toss-offs you say? Oddly enough, regardless of who the next Bills GM is, and if Mularkey does happen to receive walking papers, three of the coaches guaranteed an interview are also ex-Steelers. Jim Haslett, Russ Grimm and Tim Lewis. BTW, Modrak himself was a scout for the Steelers way back when. Interesting to say the least

Preferably, I'd like to see Tim Lewis in Buffalo red, white, and blue, but what's that? Who would Lewis entrust his defense too? How 'bout a former asst. of his....that's right, another Pittsburgh Steeler, and someone I already mentioned. Mike Archer.

And let's say Jim Haslett gets the go ahead to become the next Bills HC. Not only is it odd that Haslett is working side-by-side with former Bills Offensive Coordinator Mike Shephard (hopefully not by choice), but he also has worked with a defensive favorite of mine, former asst...... Mike Archer. I could also see Haslett wanting to offer Archer the DC positon if hired in Buffalo.

Russ Grimm has been one of the best OL coaches in the league. Currently with the Steelers, he helped create a monster wall for 3 Redskin Super Bowls in the 80s. Once again, a friend and ex-coworker of Mike Archer. Although Grimm would most likely have several other choices for DC, don't think Mike won't make his list.

You can read more on Mike Archer here: http://www.ukathletics.com/index.php...ticle_id=10307

Tim Lewis: http://newyorkgiants.com/team/coach.asp?coach_id=10

Tom Modrak: http://www.buffalobills.com/team/FrontOffice-Modrak.jsp

Jim Haslett: http://www.neworleanssaints.com/coachbio.cfm?coachid=10

Russ Grimm: http://media3.steelers.com/team/coach/49256/
    Last edited by RedEyE; 12-21-2005, 10:27 PM.
  • Devin
    The Octagon
    • Apr 2003

Re: GM/Coaches and Buffalo's upcoming unsettling offseason.

Great article and unfortunatley I believe the scenario with modrak is very much the most likely way things will go.

Nice find red.
    http://gridironjunkies.net/forums/index.php

Comment

• RedEyE
      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Devin
      Great article and unfortunatley I believe the scenario with modrak is very much the most likely way things will go.

Nice find red.
      I didn't find it. I wrote it. ..and thanks.

Comment

• FlyingDutchman
        • Apr 2005

As far as coaches I would like to see mike martz as an offensive coordinator. He seem like he may have better success as just a coordinator and not a head coach. We havent had a good offensive coordinator since Marchlabroda left. I dont really have any good ideas for head coach. IMO we need a hardliner, take no s*** kinda guy who is gonna get these young guys playin. What about Jeff Fischer? Any chance of him leavin Tennessee?

Comment

• SeatownBillsFan21
          • Mar 2004

Great post although i hope this dont happen

Comment

• Michael82
            • Jul 2002

Excellent post, but now I'm

Comment

• pintonick96
              You guys are all nerds. Just give me team updates and STFU.
              • Aug 2005

Originally posted by RedEyE
              I think that it's safe to say Ralph Wilson will be dropping the Whammy Weenie on Tom Doanahoe's future as GM in Buffalo. There has been incredibly way too much speculation and rumor running amuck media headlines. But if so, who do you get to replace TD?
              Big bucks no whammys. Big bucks no whammys.

Comment

Working...
              X