• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • WG
    Drew and Sam stole all my hair
    • Jul 2002

What did YOU see in the Bengals game?

I didn't see it, but from the box, what I see is what some have predicted;

A tough time stopping the run. Actually, the clock did that for us, otherwise apparently the Bengals would have amassed a few thousand yards tonight.

We can't run the ball to complement out passing game.

Yes, Drew played nicely, but I why did he toss a key INT at the time at the Bengal's 10? I didn't see it, so I can't comment. Anyone know?

Looks like we've got some work to do, eh!

A poor running game coupled w/ an even worse rushing D is a sure-fire way to achieve 4-12. Particularly against the teams w/ the RBs that we face this season.
    Replace Donahoe with Modrak and fire the entire coaching staff!

Then let's go to Disneyworld!

GO BILLS!!!

• Wys Guy
    • Jul 2002

Actually, after looking at the PbP, the only offensive drive that looked even remotely decent was the very first drive. Our second TD was set up by our STs already well into Cincy territory.

According to the PbP, Drew threw that INT into coverage. Those are the types of errors that have haunted him, and the ones that he'll have to shed, and very, very quickly if we're to be competitive this season.

I'm not at all encouraged after looking at the PbP. Other than in the 2nd Q and one drive in the 1st, it doesn't look like we stopped the Bengals at all.

ToP: 40/20!!! HELLO!

3rd down conv.: 5 of 12???

Only 11 First Downs?

This isn't good! That TOP is what REALLY bothers me. If we can't keep the ball for anymore than 20-25 mpg, then we're hosed.

GO BILLS!!!

Comment

• Cntrygal
      Visually stunning but camera-shy.
      • Jul 2002

but we beat them on return yards.

(Cinc- 67 Buff- 133)
      Originally posted by notacon
      The biggest thing we learned from the Bills is that they are a resilient bunch and did what they had to do to win instead of past years where they fold like a cheap lawn chair.

For news, articles and other "stuff"... BillsZone.com

Comment

• Wys Guy
        • Jul 2002

Yeah, I did notice that the STs played well. They set up 1 TD and what would have been another except for Drew's INT.

That was IMO the bright spot of the night. Drew played well, but he also showed flashes of those critical errors that he makes. If he cannot learn to not put up 2 TDs and then take one away, it could be a long year.

GO BILLS!!!

Comment

• Cntrygal
          Visually stunning but camera-shy.
          • Jul 2002

I wasn't too pleased with Denny's penalty either... we would have had GREAT field position when taking over possession (even when they would have punted)
          Originally posted by notacon
          The biggest thing we learned from the Bills is that they are a resilient bunch and did what they had to do to win instead of past years where they fold like a cheap lawn chair.

For news, articles and other "stuff"... BillsZone.com

Comment

• BledsoeTOreedfor6
            • Jul 2002

Wys.........The int was slightly underthrown on about a 35 yard pass. Burris made a nice play on it. Bledsoe looked great IMHO.
            TOP 40/20
            I would bet it was close to 25 to 5 in the second half when we had our loosers that are going to be cut in there. It seemed they had the ball the whole second half.
            11 first downs again.........first team had most of those in first quarter. You know.....the guys that will actually be out there when it counts.

Comment

• StillLurkin
              • Jul 2002

i was on that side of the field when drew threw the pick, if the ball wasn't under thrown, it's a TD to price.

i'm much more excited about this year than last. drew looks like he actually belongs under center, unlike the other #11.
              Become one with nature.........then marinate it!

Comment

• Tatonka
                • Jul 2002

wys is so damn critical..

drew goes 9/11 and 2 tds.. one pick.. and wys finds a way to talk about drews critical mistakes.. god forbid he say something positive..

really it just discusts me
                "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

• Tatonka
                  • Jul 2002

wys.. do you promise to do your "i told you so" post after every game?
                  "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

• clumping platelets

Preseason game number 1..............I think the defense will tighten up vs run

Comment

• Dozerdog
                      In a jar, on a shelf, next to the unopened Miracle Whip.

Administrator Emeritus
                      • Jul 2002

To be honest with you, I think the BIlls came out throwing on purpose. Checking out post game comments, it appeared the Bills wanted Bledsoe to rack up some good stats to keep the Buzz going arounfd the offense for the fans.

Get Ruben Brown in there, and give Williams and Sullivan some more reps. Plus, once AVP went in, and Bledsoe, Moulds, & Price left, the Bengals were not worried about getting torched so they stacked agains the run a bit.

Comment

• e-mo4life
                        • Jul 2002

i saw a great hit by NATE(nicedance afterwards too..lol),two nice td grabs, but the defense makes me very nervous...hope they improve a lot in the next couple of weeks
                        Bleedin red white and DREW baby

Comment

• kgun12
                          • Jul 2002

I said at work yesterday that our D well keep us from being better than 8-8, after last night maybe 6-10. I know it is only the first preseason, but we need a experienced DLmen. Either tackle or end. Hopefully TD and GW see this also. Yes we have some young guys with lots of potienial and yes they will get better, but we will have a long season against the number of good RB's we have to play.
                          Retired Air Traffic Controller
                          USAF VETERAN
                          DAV

Comment

• Butch
                            • Jul 2002

Bledsoe is 9-11 for 2 TDs and an INT and there is a complaint about him? Ridiculous.
                            It's nice to have a real quarterback again.

Comment

• HenryRules
                              • Jul 2002

Wys, TOP was marred by the second stringers. In the first half, time of possession was about 16-14 for the Bengals. When you consider that the Bills were mostly working on their passing game for that time, TOP wasn't that bad at all.
                              As has been mentioned, for the one interception, the ball was caught at the 10-yard line, the LoS was not the 10-yard line. I don't even think the Bills were within field goal range when Bledsoe threw the interception, so its not like he cost them a scoring drive or anything (yes, they might have ended up scoring, particularly if the pass was thrown perfectly, but I mean, its not like they made it into the red zone and then gave up the ball). If 2 out of every 3 drives, Bledsoe throws a TD and then on the other, they turn over the ball and the other team starts at their 20 or so, I'll take that any day of the week.
                              Some positives that you didn't report. The tackles looked quite well. Jennings looked pretty bad on that first sack, but looked good after that. Williams didn't look great, but he didn't look bad either, and for a rookie, I'll take that as a good sign in the first preseason game.
                              Our defense didn't do much on the Bengals first drive, but after that, our first-stringers shut them down. If our second-stringers have to play a lot, we're in trouble, but fortunately, this isn't Pop Warner where the coach wants everyone to play an equal amount of time.
                              Bledsoe is clicking with his receivers. 9 out of 11 with a slightly underthrown INT that could easily have made it 10 out of 11. Come regular season, I won't give him this break, but considering its his first game action with these guys, that was an incredible performance.
                              We're finally audibling (sp?) when their defense is blizting. I waited all last season for a quick slant to Moulds (isn't that supposed to be a key part of most WCO's?). Finally, I've seen it and look at that, the play works incredibly. The easiest way to avoid a sack when they blitz is to throw a 5 or 7-yard slant to Moulds and have him run it in for a TD.
                              And as far as our running game looking crappy. I'm a firm believer that guards make a running game. I have no concerns whatsoever that RB (anyone ever notice that his initials are also the intials for run blocking?) will be back and dominant come the regular season and that will make the left side look significantly better. As far as the right side, well either Sullivan will step up on the run blocking or when healthy, JO will take over the job. Either way, the run blocking should improve.
                              Our defense does need to improve greatly. But hey, we already knew that and it is the first preseason game, let's give them some time.
                              Last edited by HenryRules; 08-10-2002, 09:49 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X