PDA

View Full Version : What did YOU see in the Bengals game?

WG
08-09-2002, 09:40 PM
I didn't see it, but from the box, what I see is what some have predicted;

A tough time stopping the run. Actually, the clock did that for us, otherwise apparently the Bengals would have amassed a few thousand yards tonight.

We can't run the ball to complement out passing game.

Yes, Drew played nicely, but I why did he toss a key INT at the time at the Bengal's 10? I didn't see it, so I can't comment. Anyone know?

Looks like we've got some work to do, eh!

A poor running game coupled w/ an even worse rushing D is a sure-fire way to achieve 4-12. Particularly against the teams w/ the RBs that we face this season.

WG
08-09-2002, 09:53 PM
Actually, after looking at the PbP, the only offensive drive that looked even remotely decent was the very first drive. Our second TD was set up by our STs already well into Cincy territory.

According to the PbP, Drew threw that INT into coverage. Those are the types of errors that have haunted him, and the ones that he'll have to shed, and very, very quickly if we're to be competitive this season.

I'm not at all encouraged after looking at the PbP. Other than in the 2nd Q and one drive in the 1st, it doesn't look like we stopped the Bengals at all.

ToP: 40/20!!! HELLO!

3rd down conv.: 5 of 12???

Only 11 First Downs?

This isn't good! That TOP is what REALLY bothers me. If we can't keep the ball for anymore than 20-25 mpg, then we're hosed.

Cntrygal
08-09-2002, 10:08 PM
but we beat them on return yards. :rolleyes:

(Cinc- 67 Buff- 133)

WG
08-09-2002, 10:11 PM
Yeah, I did notice that the STs played well. They set up 1 TD and what would have been another except for Drew's INT.

That was IMO the bright spot of the night. Drew played well, but he also showed flashes of those critical errors that he makes. If he cannot learn to not put up 2 TDs and then take one away, it could be a long year.

Cntrygal
08-09-2002, 10:15 PM
I wasn't too pleased with Denny's penalty either... we would have had GREAT field position when taking over possession (even when they would have punted)

Novacane
08-09-2002, 10:38 PM
Wys.........The int was slightly underthrown on about a 35 yard pass. Burris made a nice play on it. Bledsoe looked great IMHO.
TOP 40/20
I would bet it was close to 25 to 5 in the second half when we had our loosers that are going to be cut in there. It seemed they had the ball the whole second half.
11 first downs again.........first team had most of those in first quarter. You know.....the guys that will actually be out there when it counts.

StillLurkin
08-09-2002, 11:45 PM
i was on that side of the field when drew threw the pick, if the ball wasn't under thrown, it's a TD to price.

i'm much more excited about this year than last. drew looks like he actually belongs under center, unlike the other #11.

Tatonka
08-09-2002, 11:52 PM
wys is so damn critical..

drew goes 9/11 and 2 tds.. one pick.. and wys finds a way to talk about drews critical mistakes.. god forbid he say something positive..

really it just discusts me

Tatonka
08-09-2002, 11:52 PM
wys.. do you promise to do your "i told you so" post after every game?

clumping platelets
08-10-2002, 03:35 AM
Preseason game number 1..............I think the defense will tighten up vs run

Dozerdog
08-10-2002, 06:52 AM
To be honest with you, I think the BIlls came out throwing on purpose. Checking out post game comments, it appeared the Bills wanted Bledsoe to rack up some good stats to keep the Buzz going arounfd the offense for the fans.

Get Ruben Brown in there, and give Williams and Sullivan some more reps. Plus, once AVP went in, and Bledsoe, Moulds, & Price left, the Bengals were not worried about getting torched so they stacked agains the run a bit.

e-mo4life
08-10-2002, 08:33 AM
i saw a great hit by NATE(nicedance afterwards too..lol),two nice td grabs, but the defense makes me very nervous...hope they improve a lot in the next couple of weeks

kgun12
08-10-2002, 09:15 AM
I said at work yesterday that our D well keep us from being better than 8-8, after last night maybe 6-10. I know it is only the first preseason, but we need a experienced DLmen. Either tackle or end. Hopefully TD and GW see this also. Yes we have some young guys with lots of potienial and yes they will get better, but we will have a long season against the number of good RB's we have to play.

Butch
08-10-2002, 09:41 AM
Bledsoe is 9-11 for 2 TDs and an INT and there is a complaint about him? Ridiculous.

HenryRules
08-10-2002, 09:46 AM
Wys, TOP was marred by the second stringers. In the first half, time of possession was about 16-14 for the Bengals. When you consider that the Bills were mostly working on their passing game for that time, TOP wasn't that bad at all.
As has been mentioned, for the one interception, the ball was caught at the 10-yard line, the LoS was not the 10-yard line. I don't even think the Bills were within field goal range when Bledsoe threw the interception, so its not like he cost them a scoring drive or anything (yes, they might have ended up scoring, particularly if the pass was thrown perfectly, but I mean, its not like they made it into the red zone and then gave up the ball). If 2 out of every 3 drives, Bledsoe throws a TD and then on the other, they turn over the ball and the other team starts at their 20 or so, I'll take that any day of the week.
Some positives that you didn't report. The tackles looked quite well. Jennings looked pretty bad on that first sack, but looked good after that. Williams didn't look great, but he didn't look bad either, and for a rookie, I'll take that as a good sign in the first preseason game.
Our defense didn't do much on the Bengals first drive, but after that, our first-stringers shut them down. If our second-stringers have to play a lot, we're in trouble, but fortunately, this isn't Pop Warner where the coach wants everyone to play an equal amount of time.
Bledsoe is clicking with his receivers. 9 out of 11 with a slightly underthrown INT that could easily have made it 10 out of 11. Come regular season, I won't give him this break, but considering its his first game action with these guys, that was an incredible performance.
We're finally audibling (sp?) when their defense is blizting. I waited all last season for a quick slant to Moulds (isn't that supposed to be a key part of most WCO's?). Finally, I've seen it and look at that, the play works incredibly. The easiest way to avoid a sack when they blitz is to throw a 5 or 7-yard slant to Moulds and have him run it in for a TD.
And as far as our running game looking crappy. I'm a firm believer that guards make a running game. I have no concerns whatsoever that RB (anyone ever notice that his initials are also the intials for run blocking?) will be back and dominant come the regular season and that will make the left side look significantly better. As far as the right side, well either Sullivan will step up on the run blocking or when healthy, JO will take over the job. Either way, the run blocking should improve.
Our defense does need to improve greatly. But hey, we already knew that and it is the first preseason game, let's give them some time.

WG
08-10-2002, 10:08 AM
Nice analysis y'all. Like I said, after being promised the local Bills bar showing the game, I went there w/ folder and pen in hand and they couldn't get it. UGH!

In any case, I didn't see it, so the commentary is nice.

Tatonka, I gave credit for Drew playing well. I am however disturbed by several things; First, he sustained 2 sacks in one Q of play. That's a pace of 8 on the game. Last year sacks were the end-all-to-be-all negative stat of the game. In any case, 5 or 6 sacks per game won't be good. Blame it on the OL or on Drew, doesn't matter. It's WAY too many for one Q of play vs. Cincy. There are many better pass rushes we face this year, two in our own division twice each.

Cincy, regardless of what anyone says, really doesn't have great DBs. Burris is about the best. After that it tapers off dramatically. According to the Cincinatti Post, our WRs were wide-open most of the game, particularly our starters. Since that isn't going to happen week in and week out, especially against the Phins and Pats, and even the Jets for 6 games, we need to generate a rushing game.

As to the rushing game, on the first drive, it was all passes as Dozer said. There was one run for 2 yards by TH. On the second drive, it was 1 pass for a 1st, then two back-to-back runs for a yard apiece, then the 3rd down INT by Drew. To finish up the Q, TH had one more run for 1 yard. That's 4 carries for 5 yards!

To finish out that drive in the 2nd Q, TH had 6 net yards on 3 more carries. That's 7 for 11 w/ the starting unit against an OK run D, but not stellar. I'm tellin' ya now, if that isn't fixed against the Jets we're gonna get killed. B/c Martin's gonna have a good day even if we do have a decent DL run-wise.

That's what has me concerned. 3 weeks is not a lot of time. We cannot rely on Drew to put up a passing TD every other drive. It's unreasonable. We absolutely need a rushing game this year. TH needs to step up and start getting 100-yd. games.

That should be our goal in next week's Minnesota game.

I don't analyze one player and call the evening a success. I look at how the team played against the opponent we played, and then ask myself how we would have played against the top 10 teams in the league. Some of the apparent facts of this game were:

Poor coverage by the Cincy DBs
2 sacks in 1 Q of play (yes, one by J. Smith, but another by Spikes)
1 INT due to a poorly thrown ball
No running game to speak of w/ the first unit
No rush D to speak of either allowing 5 carries for 22 yards and a TD in the 1st Q, 5 for 20 in the 2nd Q, all w/o Dillon and a couple of scrub RBs in there against our first and second units

Positives:

Our STs did a 180 from last season
Drew's 2 TDs and overall good completion percentage (Given our running game, I don't see that happening against worthier opponents however, ones w/ DBs who can cover)

I really didn't see too many other positives

WG
08-10-2002, 10:23 AM
Also, Kitna, a very average QB, was 7 for 10 for 50-some yards passing. I mean the score was tied at the Q and only 17-14 at half. That's a bit too close for me against teams like Cincy.

Since our D is gonna have issues, we need to have a scoring juggernaut if we're expecting to have a winning season.

WG
08-10-2002, 10:32 AM
The first two drives of both teams went unhindered.

Our 2nd TD and Cincy's inability to move the ball after that in the 1st Q, were results of very favorable field position provided by that defensive stand when Cincy had the ball at their own 10 or so set-up by Drew's INT.

This week we face Minnesota's last year's 30th ranked rush D, 21st ranked pass D, and 27th overall yardage D.

They have significantly upgraded at both, especially their DL. GW absolutely needs to focus on the rushing game and we need to hope that TH can amass some yards and show something in a half of play next week. I would keep him and the rest of the starting O in until we achieve that. If that takes the entire game, so be it.

The jitters should be gone for the team now that Drew had a good outing. But he should be equally concerned about having a solid running game.

Captain gameboy
08-10-2002, 10:35 AM
I'll throw out one big positive. Quick blitz reads=quick blits pickups=big gainers and touchdowns. I thought Gilbride/Drew owned their first team D. I'm not comparing them to the top ten in the league yet, but I am comparing them to that pitiful assemblage we trotted out in pre-season last year Remember? We were copletely inept against any blitz. Last night Moulds and Price looked they were running on funny fuel. Barring serious injury, this will be one fun team to watch. When Brown comes back and the gameplan calls for a running game, last night's obviously did not, we'll be OK.
Defense looked pitiful in the second half. Regardless if they end up being mostly sprecial teamers, some of the lineman are going to get significant time in games.

WG
08-10-2002, 10:42 AM
It's only gonna be fun if we can generate a rushing offense. Perhaps we didn't try to do that yesterday, but we'd better make sure to try in the next 2/3 PS games.

In week 1, Martin's gonna have 120+ yards and maybe much more. The Jets will dominate that game if we cannot put up a running game that nets at least 100 yards.

Captain gameboy
08-10-2002, 10:45 AM
Agree with your concern about the rush D Wys, but not much to extrapolate from the first preseason game. It's little more than a practice designed to generate revenue, although last year we were completely unable to move the ball with any personnel package or any plan. That was a harbinger of things to come. This O looked completely in comand.

WG
08-10-2002, 11:35 AM
Then why were we only able to generate 11 net yards on 7 carries by TH. Actually, if you back out TH's only decent run on 2nd and 10 at the onset of the 2nd Q, he's only 6 carries for 4 net yards. That's not good. Maybe I'm overly concerned, but I look at last year's numbers and I'm not penciling TH in as the next Emmitt quite yet. Out of 13 games last year, I'd say Henry had 7 horrible ones, 2 great ones, but against the league's 28th and last ranked rush Ds, and 3/4 decent games.

It's not like we can automatically assume that he's gonna have a 1,500 yd. 18 TD season simply b/c it's a new year and Drew's here. I really think he needs to show something in PS. On an average game basis last season, Bryson outplayed Henry. Yesterday's game did nothing to dispel the notion that perhaps we've been to quick to try and dish Bryson.

I think Henry if anyone, needs to show something this PS. Bigtime. All he's done is tear up the league's worst rush Ds which the other RBs in the league did as well. Henry didn't even get close to the average yards allowed rushing by those two teams either. Pittman for AZ put up a much better game vs. Carolina than TH did.

Much like Price, Henry last year put up two cruddy games followed by one decent one vs. a poor rush-D team. He also needs to prove that he can be consistent week in and week out. 58, 39, 30, 113, 63, 24 are not good week-to-week rushing numbers.

Having said that, I guess I'm of the mind that Henry needs to prove himself as our starter yet. It's fine and dandy to say "he's tearin' up camp" against starter who couldn't stop Curtis Keaton and Rudi Johnson! Second and third year guys who have absolutley no experience actually playing in this league and 0 starts between them.

Food for thought...