PDA

View Full Version : A few items, HC, and our leaders

X-Era
12-26-2005, 08:47 AM
I just was poking around NFL stats and a few things jumped out.

Schobel is the 4th guy with the most sacks at 12. Based on that and a high motor playmaker like Kelsay on the other side, Im not sure DE is a major need. Should we grab a mid to later round pass rush only type? Maybe to replace Denney.

Fletcher leads the league in combined tackles, has 1 forced fumble, 1 safety, 4 sacks, 1 int. Basically, based on those numbers, he has tried to do it all. Many of you know I have been prop and con-Fletcher all season, his post game comments the past few weeks, his stats, and a belief that we will upgrade our D-line has me firmly in the Fletcher corner and he can be a strong D leader with Spikes for many years to come.

Angelo Crowell has 113 combined tackles, 2 ints, 2 forced fumbles, 3 sacks, 5 passes defended. WOW!!!! Thats above guys like Keith Brooking, Derrick Brooks, and Morlon Greenwood. Based on this, I say we dont need to draft Poseys replacement, just plug in Crowell.

McGee- everyone knows how well he has played. The question is can he become our #1 CB to allow us to draft a CB in a round later than 1 if Clements leaves? I think its risky and could cost us big. But, McGee has the size and speed and has made plays at CB many times.

Troy Vincent- I have been firmly against keeping him. But he has 4 ints this year and his latest one, showed me that he can play like an all star FS and be in position to make big plays. He hasnt shown he will ALWAYS play like one, but that he can, at times. Maybe his problem was simply adjusting to FS instead of CB and maybe he is finally getting it. Im still favoring letting him leave, but I must admit Im on the fence.

Now, if anyone watched the Ravens play, we might have 2 of our best options at HC on that team. Billick and Fassel. Consider this: Both have SB winning experience, both are proven to motivate a team. Thats what many of us feel was missing

As far as Mularkey goes, Why do we want him fired again? Im sure the evidence is there and its just slipping my mind, but why?

Playcalling? Mularkey shouldnt be calling plays anyways, unfortunately Clements sucked so bad that he had too, and against the Bengals he did a great job. THAT problem would fix itself when Clements is gone and we bring in a new OC.

Motivator? He obviously was able to get a team that is NOT going to the playoffs and has nothing to play for to play hard enough to win. He obviously has done something right when Vincent and Fletcher both have been coming out and saying that HE is a very good coach but that the PLAYERS are the ones costing us games.

9 and 7 and just out of the playoffs in 2004? Isnt that an indication that Mularkey can get a team to do what it takes to get to the playoffs? He failed or many would argue Drew blew it, but they WERE in position.

Wasnt the team BETTER after BOTH the JP and Moulds situations? Neither were fan favorites. Personally, I liked the Moulds move but hated the JP move. Yet I must admit BOTH have turned out to HELP us instill the right attitude/play. I mean Moulds has now come out and acted like a leader, JP stepped way up and started playing much much better including the 3 TD in the half game against the Fins. Isnt that EXACTLY what we want a HC who has a team lacking mental toughness to do?

Lots to chew on, thoughts?