PDA

View Full Version : Some Insight

Mudflap1
12-26-2005, 06:15 PM
A lot has happened this season, and we still have one game left. It's not going to change much, but here is a checklist of some pluses and minuses of where I see how this team has gotten to where it's at:

Positives
1. Jason Peters has emerged as a solid right tackle.
2. Duke Preston has emerged as a suitable G/C possibility.
3. Terrence McGee, Rian Lindell, Brian Moorman, and the special teams have been pretty solid again this year.
4. Angelo Crowell has emerged as a solid linebacker. When Spikes comes back, there could be the possiblity of playing some 3-4, or starting Crowell outright over Posey.
5. Kelly Holcomb has been very solid. Few mistakes, doesn't hold the ball long, accurate, starts out games pretty quickly, has two best passing games for the team this season, and the most wins between him and Losman. Also has the respect of the team.
6. Have gotten off to decent starts in the first quarter most games all season.

Negatives
1. leaving Pat Williams go and not getting a suitable replacement (last in the league in run defense from 2nd overall last two years). Pass defense has also suffered tremendously.
2. Neglecting the offensive line not only the past 5 years, but particularly the past two offseasons. QB's have been hit hard all season long, sustained some injuries, can't have deep-developing pass plays downfield, and the running game has had a lot of trouble establishing itself.
3. Mike Williams is horrible, and is being paid a lot of money.
4. Nate Clements isn't worth being paid as one of the top 5 cornerbacks (at least this season).
5. J.P. Losman hasn't progressed as fast as some would like. (note: controversial point because of limited starts). Also has had some reports of him not being in the favor of the veterans. Not sure what the truth is there, time will tell.
6. Chris Villarial hasn't lived up to his billing.
7. Mike Gandy is servicable at best.
8. Bennie Anderson is horrible.
9. Trey Teague is mediocre at best.
10. The defensive tackles are pretty bad overall. The only one that is worth anything is Sam Adams, and he needs to be properly motivated, of which he's not been this season.
11. Partially because of the tendencies of the team and the bad offensive line, Willis McGahee has not had very good games the last several weeks.
12. Playcalling has been questionable at best all season.
13. Bad second half team.

What should be done?

Well, I'm in favor of firing Tom Donahoe the day after the season. I've been consistent with this for some time. He has simply not gotten the job done. 31-48 in five seasons with no playoffs is unacceptable. He has consistenly neglected two simple aspects of the football team: the offensive line and the defensive line. Without those, you won't go far. You need to be able to run the ball and stop the run. If you can do those two fundamental things, good things happen. If you can run the ball, that means your quarterback doesn't have as much pressure. Play-action pass becomes a weapon, and passing as a whole will keep the defense off-guard, as they will have to put 8 men in the box to stop an effective running game. The offense will more often than not control time of possession. On defensive, stopping the run makes the opposing offense one-dimensional. One-dimensional offenses pass, so you can key on this. Third and long plays become common, along with shorter amounts of time the defense has to stay on the field (remember, the offense is running the ball effectively). Tom Donahoe has continually ignored this, so he should be fired. However, I believe the worst-case scenario is that if he stays, he will be told by Ralph Wilson to get aggressive in the free agent market, and the draft. Now, this is a crap shoot in of itself, as we have all seen some of Tom Donahoe's aggressive moves (Drew Bledsoe, Willis McGahee, J.P. Losman -- jury is still out on two of them). However, maybe he will finally be motivated to spend some money on the offensive and defensive lines. If so, and some real talent is brought in here, it doesn't matter WHO starts at quarterback. That's right, it doesn't matter. Good things will start to happen, and a lot of big problems will start to go away.

As for Mularkey, I don't think he's done a very good job either. However, Donahoe has put him in a particularly bad position by giving him bad offensive and defensive lines to work with. I believe if the personnel is brought in, this team WITH Mularkey could become playoff-competitive again. It isn't going to take a whole lot. Bring in some beefeaters on offense so the team can start to grind the ball again, and the quarterbacks have time to pass, and bring in some big uglies on defense to stop the run and take the pressure off the secondary and linebackers. It's not rocket science.

Honestly, for skill players on offense, I think we are okay. Moulds should restructure, but he and Evans have the talent, along with Roscoe. Josh Reed is serviceable as a 4th wide receiver. Willis is ok at running back. Perhaps a good receiving tight end would be a nice pickup.

On defense, I think we are good at linebacker. I think we are good in the secondary. The only problem is Nate Clements. If he wants to re-sign for something reasonable, I think that's alright. He has been historically a good corner, even though he's had a down year. If he wants top CB money, sign him and trade him.

Offensive line: New left tackle (free agent or draft), new left guard (free agent or draft), Preston at C, Villarial at RG (unless a better player can be brought in without breaking the bank), and Peters at RT. I think if we simply let Teague go and bring in a new LT and LG (not cheapos, real linemen with talent), this offensive line could turn it around. Keep Gandy around for depth, and maybe Anderson, but I wouldn't start them. We need better.

Again, it's an illusion. We're not as great as most thought at the end of last season and before this season, but we're not quite has horrific has some have said in recent weeks either. Some new guys on the front lines will change all of that. I don't think our GM can do it to the degree that needs to be done, that's why he needs to go. I think our coach could probably work with the talent if we can re-tool a little bit. I think there are better coaches out there we could bring in, but if I had to have a choice, I would vote Donahoe out over Mularkey. With Donahoe here, no coach has a chance. With Donahoe gone, at least Mularkey would have SOME chance.

But please, just fix the offensive and defensive lines!

Jon

The_Philster
12-26-2005, 06:39 PM
Good post over all
on Gandy...I wouldn't be opposed to an upgrade but I think the Tackle starters have been good this year for the most part...more attention needs to be paid to the interior of the O-line
receiving TE we probably already have in the fold...Kevin Everett

Mudflap1
12-26-2005, 06:48 PM
I'm interested to see what Everett can do. I'm just skeptical of a guy that has been injured all year, and we've haven't seen him at all. I wouldn't mind bringing in another guy to compete. Tight end is a sore spot on this team.

Gandy has been okay, that's why I think he's worth keeping around for depth at least. If he can compete to start, great. I would like to see a true stud left tackle on our team for once. We can't spend the money everywhere, but I would like to see it spent there, it's worth it.

Jon

The last buffalo fan
12-26-2005, 06:48 PM
Welcome back, to the good posting :peace:

Mudflap1
12-26-2005, 06:51 PM
Isn't it nice?

Jon

vicmantak
12-26-2005, 07:48 PM
Great post but I just not agree in your OL concept.

1) Bills don't need a LT. Jason Peters is finally the pillar player to surround and he is the guy to fill in that spot.
2) Gandy is not depth. He is average (not bad...) and should improve if switched to the opposite side next year.
3) Anderson doesn't deserve any consideration and he should be fired as soon as possible.
4) Teague deserves consideration if he accepts the veteran minimum.

ScottLawrence
12-26-2005, 09:28 PM
A lot has happened this season, and we still have one game left. It's not going to change much, but here is a checklist of some pluses and minuses of where I see how this team has gotten to where it's at:

Positives
1. Jason Peters has emerged as a solid right tackle.
2. Duke Preston has emerged as a suitable G/C possibility.
3. Terrence McGee, Rian Lindell, Brian Moorman, and the special teams have been pretty solid again this year.
4. Angelo Crowell has emerged as a solid linebacker. When Spikes comes back, there could be the possiblity of playing some 3-4, or starting Crowell outright over Posey.
5. Kelly Holcomb has been very solid. Few mistakes, doesn't hold the ball long, accurate, starts out games pretty quickly, has two best passing games for the team this season, and the most wins between him and Losman. Also has the respect of the team.
6. Have gotten off to decent starts in the first quarter most games all season.

Negatives
1. leaving Pat Williams go and not getting a suitable replacement (last in the league in run defense from 2nd overall last two years). Pass defense has also suffered tremendously.
2. Neglecting the offensive line not only the past 5 years, but particularly the past two offseasons. QB's have been hit hard all season long, sustained some injuries, can't have deep-developing pass plays downfield, and the running game has had a lot of trouble establishing itself.
3. Mike Williams is horrible, and is being paid a lot of money.
4. Nate Clements isn't worth being paid as one of the top 5 cornerbacks (at least this season).
5. J.P. Losman hasn't progressed as fast as some would like. (note: controversial point because of limited starts). Also has had some reports of him not being in the favor of the veterans. Not sure what the truth is there, time will tell.
6. Chris Villarial hasn't lived up to his billing.
7. Mike Gandy is servicable at best.
8. Bennie Anderson is horrible.
9. Trey Teague is mediocre at best.
10. The defensive tackles are pretty bad overall. The only one that is worth anything is Sam Adams, and he needs to be properly motivated, of which he's not been this season.
11. Partially because of the tendencies of the team and the bad offensive line, Willis McGahee has not had very good games the last several weeks.
12. Playcalling has been questionable at best all season.
13. Bad second half team.

What should be done?

Well, I'm in favor of firing Tom Donahoe the day after the season. I've been consistent with this for some time. He has simply not gotten the job done. 31-48 in five seasons with no playoffs is unacceptable. He has consistenly neglected two simple aspects of the football team: the offensive line and the defensive line. Without those, you won't go far. You need to be able to run the ball and stop the run. If you can do those two fundamental things, good things happen. If you can run the ball, that means your quarterback doesn't have as much pressure. Play-action pass becomes a weapon, and passing as a whole will keep the defense off-guard, as they will have to put 8 men in the box to stop an effective running game. The offense will more often than not control time of possession. On defensive, stopping the run makes the opposing offense one-dimensional. One-dimensional offenses pass, so you can key on this. Third and long plays become common, along with shorter amounts of time the defense has to stay on the field (remember, the offense is running the ball effectively). Tom Donahoe has continually ignored this, so he should be fired. However, I believe the worst-case scenario is that if he stays, he will be told by Ralph Wilson to get aggressive in the free agent market, and the draft. Now, this is a crap shoot in of itself, as we have all seen some of Tom Donahoe's aggressive moves (Drew Bledsoe, Willis McGahee, J.P. Losman -- jury is still out on two of them). However, maybe he will finally be motivated to spend some money on the offensive and defensive lines. If so, and some real talent is brought in here, it doesn't matter WHO starts at quarterback. That's right, it doesn't matter. Good things will start to happen, and a lot of big problems will start to go away.

As for Mularkey, I don't think he's done a very good job either. However, Donahoe has put him in a particularly bad position by giving him bad offensive and defensive lines to work with. I believe if the personnel is brought in, this team WITH Mularkey could become playoff-competitive again. It isn't going to take a whole lot. Bring in some beefeaters on offense so the team can start to grind the ball again, and the quarterbacks have time to pass, and bring in some big uglies on defense to stop the run and take the pressure off the secondary and linebackers. It's not rocket science.

Honestly, for skill players on offense, I think we are okay. Moulds should restructure, but he and Evans have the talent, along with Roscoe. Josh Reed is serviceable as a 4th wide receiver. Willis is ok at running back. Perhaps a good receiving tight end would be a nice pickup.

On defense, I think we are good at linebacker. I think we are good in the secondary. The only problem is Nate Clements. If he wants to re-sign for something reasonable, I think that's alright. He has been historically a good corner, even though he's had a down year. If he wants top CB money, sign him and trade him.

Offensive line: New left tackle (free agent or draft), new left guard (free agent or draft), Preston at C, Villarial at RG (unless a better player can be brought in without breaking the bank), and Peters at RT. I think if we simply let Teague go and bring in a new LT and LG (not cheapos, real linemen with talent), this offensive line could turn it around. Keep Gandy around for depth, and maybe Anderson, but I wouldn't start them. We need better.

Again, it's an illusion. We're not as great as most thought at the end of last season and before this season, but we're not quite has horrific has some have said in recent weeks either. Some new guys on the front lines will change all of that. I don't think our GM can do it to the degree that needs to be done, that's why he needs to go. I think our coach could probably work with the talent if we can re-tool a little bit. I think there are better coaches out there we could bring in, but if I had to have a choice, I would vote Donahoe out over Mularkey. With Donahoe here, no coach has a chance. With Donahoe gone, at least Mularkey would have SOME chance.

But please, just fix the offensive and defensive lines!

Jon

Great post, and the best point being, the team isn't as bad as people thought, meaning, firing everyone would be a mistake.

I think you keep a majority of the veterans on the team.

Releasing only a few.(Williams, Villarrial, let Teague walk)

I would like to see us retain Sam Adams, as he can still play in this league, get a solid two gap DT next to him, and he'll thrive.

Retain Eric Moulds at cheaper salary if possible, he showed how valuable he still is in yesterdays game.

Try and resign Nate Clements, if you can't, franchise tag him, and trade for a first or second round pick.

Mudflap1
12-26-2005, 09:50 PM
I would be down with possibly seeing how Peters would fit at LT. That would mean you need to bring in a RT then. Gandy is okay, but he's not the answer I don't think. We can do better for a starter. Think Marques Sullivan -- serviceable, good depth guy who can come in off the bench if needed (we always seem to have line injuries, and Gandy can play T and G), but we can do better for a starter.

Jon

Michael82
12-27-2005, 11:45 AM
Good post! :bf1:

But I agree with Phil. Gandy has done a pretty good job, especially when you consider the **** that he had to work next to. :ill:

I like the idea of moving Jason Peters to LT and Mike Gandy to RT. I think Gandy will excel there and Peters is our best tackle. I don't think tackle is a big need. The middle of the line is what is killing us. We need some good guards that can pull and actually push forward for McGahee to get the 1 or 2 yards needed for the TD.

Mudflap1
12-27-2005, 11:50 AM
I agree we need interior linemen, no arguments there...

However, I disagree with the tackle spot. You have to bring in another guy that is good. If you want to try Peters on the left side, I'm okay with trying that to see how it goes. If we stand pat with Peters and Gandy, what happens when one of them gets hurt? You guys watch the games, we always have lineman dropping during the season. I would feel much better bringing in an upgrade at tackle, then if there is an injury, you can go to someone like Gandy, who you know will be solid as a substitute.

Frankly, the offensive line needs an almost complete makeover. It's sad, but true. Peters is good, he has a spot. Preston has potential and has played okay, he's worth keeping around. Villarial is questionable in my opinion. When he's healthy, he's decent, but he gets hurt a lot and can be inconsistent. Anderson is horrible. Mike Williams is injury-prone and when healthy his play does not warrant anywhere close to his salary. He needs to go. Gandy is not bad, solid, but we can do better. What I would love to see is a quality draft prospect at either G or T, then a guy like Hutchinson brought in (doesn't have to be Hutchinson, but a PROVEN stud -- spend the money dammit it's worth it). That would significantly upgrade our line right away.

Jon

Mr. Cynical
12-27-2005, 11:58 AM
Agreed - pretty good post.

On the oline I would s**tcan Williams, Teague, Anderson and Villarial. All crap. Gone.

Gandy is "ok" but I see him as depth for now. Peters is definitely working out "better" than most, although I still want a true LT brought in to compete with him. I just can stress it enough how critical it is that our LT be a stud. When you look at all the successful teams, their LT is rock solid.

One thing I'm not crazy about on our D (in addition to what you said) is our safety positions. I think Milloy/Vincent are a bit long in the tooth at this point. Class acts, solid vets, but we need some young talent in there. I've seen them get juked too many times by quick backs or slot receivers.

As for the running game, WM has looked lethargic. I just hope it is mental not physical. My guess is that it is a combination. Next year we'll know if he can be the "best back in the NFL".

I know this may not be a popular choice, but I'm not so sure our LB corps is really set. I hope that TKO comes back (great guy, great talent, heart of the D) but there is a chance he won't be able to play at his former level. We can't afford not to have someone like him in there (as you can see from our D play). I also don't know that Fletch (again, great guy) can move well enough anymore. He is really slow. Yes he can stop the backs that run at him, but I've seen him whiff more than a few times. Combined with our aging safeties and you have a pretty slow/soft center. And that's where we've been getting crushed. Granted we need another DT in there to soften up the runners, but still it is a slow center of the field.

Mudflap1
12-27-2005, 12:10 PM
Agreed Cynical. However, it all starts up front. I firmly believe that while what you say with the safeties and linebackers has a lot of merit, if we can get some studs up front on the defensive line and the offensive line, so much of our problems will be solved. If we have beefeaters stuffing the run on D, it's going to make everyone's job easier. If we have bulldozers on offense, Willis McGahee will have holes to run through, like Larry Johnson or Shawn Alexander has. That's the dream. Then the play action and overall passing game becomes easier. More points, more time of possession. Teams start playing catch up on offense so the D can cut loose and blitz more.

It all starts up front on both sides of the ball. Spend the damn money and bring in quality guys.

Jon

Mr. Cynical
12-27-2005, 12:15 PM
Agreed Cynical. However, it all starts up front. I firmly believe that while what you say with the safeties and linebackers has a lot of merit, if we can get some studs up front on the defensive line and the offensive line, so much of our problems will be solved. If we have beefeaters stuffing the run on D, it's going to make everyone's job easier. If we have bulldozers on offense, Willis McGahee will have holes to run through, like Larry Johnson or Shawn Alexander has. That's the dream. Then the play action and overall passing game becomes easier. More points, more time of possession. Teams start playing catch up on offense so the D can cut loose and blitz more.

It all starts up front on both sides of the ball. Spend the damn money and bring in quality guys.

Jon

Agreed....a great line make average players good and good players into pro-bowlers. My best example for that is Troy Aikman. I know people will disagree but his success as a QB was mostly because his line was ridiculously good. Otherwise IMO, he was good not great QB.

Mudflap1
12-27-2005, 12:22 PM
Agreed. You can go all throughout football history and point to guys that wouldn't have been as good without their trusty linemen.

We've successfully pinpointed our needs. We're okay at quarterback right now. We're okay at wide receiver and running back. We're okay at defensive end, linebacker, and cornerbacks/safeties. We need interier defensive linemen and offensive linemen. Bring in some studs, spend the money, and our fortunes will change instantly, I guarantee it.

Jon