PDA

View Full Version : Biggest Bust in Bills History

vicmantak
12-26-2005, 08:10 PM
Just a question. Who is the biggest bust in Bills history?

Dozerdog
12-26-2005, 08:22 PM
Ferragamo and Collins never had any expectations tied to them.

Walt Patulski was the #1 overall pick in the draft. He had a decent start but faded fast after 2 seasons.

Booker Moore and Perry Tuttle were two wasted high draft picks in the early 1980's.

Tom Couseneau was another overall #1 pick that never suited up for the Bills .

The Bills also took to loosers with their top selections in 1975- a pair of LBers from Nebraska - Tom Rudd & Bob Nelson - neither lasted 3 years

THE END OF ALL DAYS
12-26-2005, 08:30 PM
Sammy "Crackers" McLeland WR out of MSU was Bills #2 pick in 1973 and after starting out great he lasted 9 gmes before being cut.

Seems he had a big fight with the WR coach during a game.

vicmantak
12-26-2005, 08:35 PM
Oh! I forget Walt Patulski but Tom Cousineau?
I know that Bills got him through Cleveland as the top 1979 draft pick and that he didn't sign with the Bills but come on! Bills got TWO FIRST ROUND PICKS in 1982 and 1983!

Dozerdog
12-26-2005, 08:42 PM
Oh! I forget Walt Patulski but Tom Cousineau?
I know that Bills got him through Cleveland as the top 1979 draft pick and that he didn't sign with the Bills but come on! Bills got TWO FIRST ROUND PICKS in 1982 and 1983!

You have that backwards. We got the #1 overall pick from San Francisco by trading OJ.

He refused to sign and went to Canada for 3-4 seasons.

It took a long time to get those picks back.

The_Philster
Bills actually drafted Cousineau with a pick acquired from the 49ers in the OJ trade Cleveland came into the picture when he came down from the CFL and we traded his rights to the Browns...for the 14th overall pick in the 1983 draft...got some QB out of Miami

Bmax
walt patulski because i believe he was the overall # 1pick...

I know the bills have have a ton of bad 2nd rd picks especially at wr

Eric richardson and bernard ford.... then chris williams at cb

vicmantak
addendum:

1st rounders Derrick Burroughs and Tony Hunter are not included because of obvious reasons...

capitolneal
12-26-2005, 08:50 PM
flowers was junk.... they were saying on draft day he could of been had for a 3rd straight garbage

vicmantak
12-26-2005, 08:52 PM
You have that backwards. We got the #1 overall pick from San Francisco by trading OJ.

He refused to sign and went to Canada for 3-4 seasons.

It took a long time to get those picks back.
To tell you the truth I'm a real Bills fan since 1983 so I really welcomed Jim Kelly with the pick brought by the rights of Tom Cousineau. Unfortunately it seems that this pick was very unlucky for us. Jim Kelly also decided to quit and go to the USFL!
What a nightmare years!

Dozerdog
12-26-2005, 08:55 PM
Think about it- if someone was going to trade you for a QB that you woudn't see for 7 SEASONS would you do it?

vicmantak
12-26-2005, 09:01 PM
Think about it- if someone was going to trade you for a QB that you woudn't see for 7 SEASONS would you do it?
Good question but the only thing that I learned from this obscure years is that it's not necessary to gamble with top draft picks.

In other words, Top draft picks should be considered as untouchable.

STAMPY
12-26-2005, 09:09 PM
I'd say rj for the amout he got paid. Guy lost his job too. he was a huge bust in buffalo. but that mistake went to management for offering him all that, without any production besides one game vs us

THE END OF ALL DAYS
12-26-2005, 09:14 PM
Sammy "Crackers" McLeland WR out of MSU was Bills #2 pick in 1973 and after starting out great he lasted 9 gmes before being cut.

Seems he had a big fight with the WR coach during a game.

Oh C'mon! that was funny!

Dr. Lecter
12-26-2005, 11:25 PM
Patulski. Ruben Gant. JD Williams. Todd Collins. Cousineau. Perry Tuttle. Terry Miller. Phil Dokes.

Not Burroughs, as a neck injury stopped him as he was coming on. Not Booker Moore due to his nerve disease (that I can't spell).

gr8slayer
12-26-2005, 11:54 PM
Erick Flowers for sure man. I remember how great that guy was supposed to be. How great his work ethic was, blah blah blah.

Spiderweb
12-27-2005, 12:38 AM
To truely be a bust, one had to be a number one choice and a choice that was not just a monumental blunder by the Bills draftniks, but one that was accepted as a consensus number 1 choice.

This would then make Patulski, and Williams real close. Patulski played 4 seasons with the Bills and Williams is just completing his 4th. Choice - coin toss please.

The dumbest choices were:
1.) Al Cowlings (5th overall in entire draft) in 1970.
2.) Eric Flowers (26th overall) in 2000.

vicmantak
12-27-2005, 06:29 AM
I'd say rj for the amout he got paid. Guy lost his job too. he was a huge bust in buffalo. but that mistake went to management for offering him all that, without any production besides one game vs us
I voted Rob Johnson too because he means:
1) 3 dumb wasted seasons when Bills still had a strong depth.
2) Doug Flutie magic gone.
3) The end of the 3-4 Defense (Wade Phillips job)
4) A great RB that is still productive (Fred Taylor?)

R. Rich
12-27-2005, 10:23 AM
I voted Rob Johnson too because he means:
1) 3 dumb wasted seasons when Bills still had a strong depth.
2) Doug Flutie magic gone.
3) The end of the 3-4 Defense (Wade Phillips job)

Man, if we had kept the pick and selected Taylor, can you imagine how much he'd be getting ripped by the fans here, w/ all the injuries he's had over the course of his career?

Mr. Cynical
12-27-2005, 11:36 AM
Pretty close between RJ and MW, but since MW has cost us more $$$, I'll go with MW.

pleasesavedrew
12-27-2005, 12:26 PM
I gotta say I don't get much use out of my eric flowers and Mike williams jerseys.

Ebenezer
12-27-2005, 12:35 PM
1.) Al Cowlings (5th overall in entire draft) in 1970.

Colwings was drafted simply because he was OJ's buddy....I wonder how much thought was given drafting Parrish and/or Everett for the same reason? :scratch:

Ebenezer
12-27-2005, 12:37 PM
Pretty close between RJ and MW, but since MW has cost us more $$$, I'll go with MW.
other than Roy Williams I don't know who the Bills would have selected with #4 that wouldn't be a bust (and don't say Freeney - No draft guru or NFL scout had him in the top 10)...

in that context MW is not as large a bust (other than physically) as some of the other winners from the 70s.

Mr. Miyagi
12-27-2005, 01:03 PM
Huh? You saying we could've traded for Taylor instead?

Mr. Cynical
12-27-2005, 01:04 PM
other than Roy Williams I don't know who the Bills would have selected with #4 that wouldn't be a bust (and don't say Freeney - No draft guru or NFL scout had him in the top 10)...

in that context MW is not as large a bust (other than physically) as some of the other winners from the 70s.

But you don't *have* to pick at #4 if the right guy isn't there....you can always trade down. I can't speak for the winners from the 70s though...I didn't start following football until 1980. :D

Dr. Lecter
12-27-2005, 03:47 PM
Huh? You saying we could've traded for Taylor instead?

Jacksonville selected Fred Taylor with the 1st round pick the Bills traded for RJ.

ublinkwescore
12-27-2005, 04:04 PM
I went with Erik Flowers.

alohabillsfan
12-27-2005, 04:32 PM
I would have to say Tom Donahoe!

Rd Sel# Player Pos. School
1 21 Nate Clements CB Ohio State GREAT PICK
2 46 Aaron Schobel DE Texas Christian GREAT PICK
2 58 Travis Henry RB Tennessee GOOD PICK
3 76 Ron Edwards DT Texas A&M HMMM?
3 95 Jonas Jennings T Georgia NOT MUCH
4 110 Brandon Spoon MLB North Carolina GONE
5 144 Marques Sullivan T Illinois GONE
6 178 Tony Driver FS Notre Dame GONE
6 195 Dan O'Leary TE Notre Dame GONE
6 196 Jimmy Williams CB Vanderbilt GONE
7 214 Reggie Germany WR Ohio State GONE
7 238 Tyrone Robertson DT Hinds CC GONE

3 OUT OF 12 STILL WITH TEAM?????

1 4 Mike Williams T Texas BUST
2 36 Josh Reed WR Louisiana State NOT MUCH
2 61 Ryan Denney DE Brigham Young HIM NIETHER
3 97 Coy Wire SS Stanford SPECIAL TEAMER ONLY PLEASE
5 139 Justin Bannan DT Colorado DITTO
6 176 Kevin Thomas CB Nevada-Las Vegas ROSTER FODDER
7 215 Mike Pucillo G Auburn JUNK
7 249 Rodney Wright WR Fresno State DID HE PLAY FOR US???
7 251 Jarrett Ferguson RB Virginia Tech GONER
7 260 Dominique Stevenson OLB Tennessee HMMM?

3 OUT OF 10 I SEE A PATTERN

1 23 Willis McGahee RB Miami JURY STILL OUT
2 48 Chris Kelsay DE Nebraska HIM TO SEEMS TO BE GETTING BETTER
3 94 Angelo Crowell OLB Virginia LIKE HIM!
4 111 Terrence McGee CB Northwestern State, La. GREAT PICK!
4 127 Sam Aiken WR North Carolina SPECIAL TEAMER
5 151 Ben Sobieski G Iowa GARBAGE
6 187 Lauvale Sape DT Utah NOT MUCH
7 228 Mario Haggan MLB Mississippi State SPECIAL TEAMER

2 1/2 STARTERS OUT OF 8

1 13 Lee Evans WR Wisconsin REAL GOOD PICK
1 22 J.P. Losman QB Tulane FINGERS CROSSED
3 74 Tim Anderson DT Ohio State HAS NOT SHOWN MUCH
4 109 Tim Euhus TE Oregon State HIM EITHER
7 207 Dylan McFarland T Montana ROSTER SPOT THIEF
7 214 Jonathan Smith WR Georgia Tech NOT SURE

1 1/2 OUT OF 6

Parrish, Roscoe HAS NOT DONE ALOT YET
Everett, Kevin ONE CAN ONLY HOPE
Preston, Raymond 'Duke' DITTO
King, Eric COULD BE A SURPRISE
Geisinger, Justin SEEMS CRAPPY SO FAR
Gates, Lionel HAVE NOT SCEAN HIM MUCH?

NOT 1 STARTER OUT OF SIX!!!!!!!!!

WITH ANY HOPE WITH THE ABOVE PATTERN WE SHOULD HAVE 2 1/2 NEW STARTERS ON OUR TEAM NEXT YEAR! SO TD'S DRAFT HAS PROVIDED THIS TEAM WITH 10 STARTERS OUT OF 42 PICKS IN THE LAST 5 DRAFTS. CRAP CRAP CRAP

:rage:

TigerJ
12-27-2005, 06:16 PM
Derrick Burroughs had some good years before that spinal problem surfaced. He's not in contention with the likes of Eric Flowers and Perry Tuttle.

DaBills
12-27-2005, 07:38 PM
"To truely be a bust, one had to be a number one choice and a choice that was not just a monumental blunder by the Bills draftniks, but one that was accepted as a consensus number 1 choice."

I come out here. I think the original question is a loaded one. To me, a bust is a high-profile, and/or over-hyped draft prospect that does jack squat once he goes to the pros. And a lot of that hype is based on the importance people assign them.

I gotta go Mike Williams, because remember, this was the draft where crafty TD pulled off the DB deal, and Mike was going to anchor the line and be the cornerstone of DB's resurgence. Uhhh..... no, and NO.

So I say MW.

But that also doesn't mean 'who was the greatest failure as a Bill' isn't a valid point either. And there, I gotta go hands down with RJ. Never has one guy done so little after being paid so much in front of so many. This wasn't an Archie Manning type on a shi t NO team that played his heart out. No, RJ elevated two-steps back/one step forward ball to new lows.

:afro:

Dozerdog
12-27-2005, 08:38 PM
But you don't *have* to pick at #4 if the right guy isn't there....you can always trade down. I can't speak for the winners from the 70s though...I didn't start following football until 1980. :D

And if nobody wants to trade down? That part is always "conveinently" forgotten. It takes two to tango.
I'm sure after Peppers went off the board, no one had any interest in the #4 pick.

San Francisco couldn't give away the #1 overall pick this past draft.

Historian
12-28-2005, 06:21 AM
1. Flowers
2. Dokes
3. Ruud

Ironic that it's all defense. (IMO)

Tuttle and Gant come in 4th and 5th on my list.

vicmantak
12-28-2005, 07:30 AM
1. Flowers
2. Dokes
3. Ruud

Ironic that it's all defense. (IMO)

Tuttle and Gant come in 4th and 5th on my list.
Dokes, Ruud, Gant?
Why do you consider them ahead of Mike Williams or Rob Johnson?

AngryTeste
12-28-2005, 10:05 AM
http://www.cheerleader.com/Buffalo/01/01Jills1TN.jpg

I think that these are the biggest busts...we'd have to consult Philster....

Ebenezer
12-28-2005, 10:13 AM
And if nobody wants to trade down? That part is always "conveinently" forgotten. It takes two to tango.
I'm sure after Peppers went off the board, no one had any interest in the #4 pick.

San Francisco couldn't give away the #1 overall pick this past draft.
the other part that nobody ever considers....heart...you can't measure how much a player has...

TigerJ
12-28-2005, 03:54 PM
Mike Williams has been a big disappointment, but he's had more productivity during his NFL career than some guys who were picked as high.

TedMock
12-28-2005, 04:47 PM
I can't put Williams there at this point. He has actually improved as a tackle, but he's constantly injured. That's the big setback. He's either a big wimp, or has had some seriously bad luck. I'm not really sure, but I won't tag the guy a bust because of injury. He's not great, but he's not terrible WHEN PLAYING. Either way, we took Perry Tuttle over Mike Quick, and Al Cowlings for no apparent reason at all.

Historian
12-30-2005, 05:04 PM
Dokes, Ruud, Gant?
Why do you consider them ahead of Mike Williams or Rob Johnson?

Mike Williams isn't what everyone thought he would be yet...but he's light years ahead of those three.

#1 pick Gant couldn't catch a cold.

#1 pick Dokes lasted 2 seasons.

#1 pick Flowers stunk. Undersized, with no heart. Lasted 2 seasons.

tat2dmike77
12-30-2005, 05:32 PM
http://www.cheerleader.com/Buffalo/01/01Jills1TN.jpg

I think that these are the biggest busts...we'd have to consult Philster....

:goodpost:

dolphinssuck
12-31-2005, 06:03 AM
I have to go with MW on this one.