PDA

View Full Version : Everybody needs to stop complaining

gonzo1105
08-09-2002, 10:02 PM
Man so what we lost 24-17. We lost the game with our 3rd stringers. When most of the first string guys left the game we were up 17-7. Our first string d-line didn't play to bad and Nate Clements played great. We probably would have won the game handely tonight against the Bengals if all the 1st stringers played all game

Shiny Chicken
08-09-2002, 10:06 PM
We definitely need to establish a running game though...

WG
08-09-2002, 10:13 PM
Rushing D

Some ball control so that our D, which doesn't appear to be good already, isn't on the field for 40 minutes often.

Also, the Bengals were able to pass against our first team secondary. That's gonna have to change too if we expect to win games. It's fairly evident that not having gotten a decent DT to play opposite PW is gonna kill our rushing D. But we cannot allow QBs like Kitna to pass well against us.

BTW, I guess that Fletcher isn't gonna be able to overcome a poor DL.

There's definitely a TON of work to do prior to opening day. Let's just hope that GW can get it done.

Judge
08-09-2002, 10:25 PM
Wys-

Are you joking or are you just trying to stir up conversation?

Novacane
08-09-2002, 10:31 PM
I sure hope you are just trying to stir up conversation Wys! Were you at the game? Our 1rst team way outplayed theirs. D looked like crap on first drive but other than that they looked ok. Definately need to get a better pass rush but overall I was pleased with tonights game. More + than - IMHO

Brian Cohen
08-09-2002, 10:37 PM
1. First team beat their first team 17-7. Bengals had 9th ranked defense and 3rd most sacks in NFL last year and were totally outclassed by the Bills defense.
2. Defense only rushed 3 most of the night.

Butch
08-10-2002, 09:43 AM
I can't anybody is complaining after the first preseason game. We got a lot of new guys playing out there together for the first time and with the results we got, I am not disappointed at all.

WG
08-10-2002, 10:55 AM
My biggest complaint is about us not being able to generate any semblance of a running game while simulataneously allowing the Bengals to rush for 181. Sure, many of the 3/4th Q DL were bubble guys, but that also tells me we have absolutely no depth. It's not like our first team guys did very well either. We allowed over a 4.0 ypc average against two RBs who may not even play this year.

Drew looked good, but he won't look good if we don't generate a decent running game. Given our apparent inability to stop 2nd and 3rd-string rushers, we had better have the rushing game of the decade to counter with. Drew's gonna be under intense pressure if we cannot do that.

We'll see. Many of you are saying we have plenty of time. I disagree. We have two very winable games up front on our schedule and it's imperative that we win both! We need to be ready, not 'gelling' for that first game.

I wanna see some focus on Henry and on stopping the run next Friday vs. Minnesota. If we can't do that with the talent that we have on the field now, then we're gonna be hurtin'!

Minnesota has terrible issues on the OL. Badger's gone and I don't think they signed anyone of consequence. They stunk last year and will apparently be even worse this. McK hasn't signed. Bennett was paltry last year rushing for just over 600 and only 2 TDs. If he/they manage to run on us, I'd be highly concerned.

WG
08-10-2002, 10:58 AM
Relatedly, if TH can't put up at least 30 or 40 yards in the 1st Q w/ a couple of big runs against what was last year's 2nd-to-last rush D, allowing almost 140 ypg and ahead of only Carolina, then I'd say 2 more weeks isn't going to be enough to put the type of team on the field for opening day that can beat the Jets.

Sure Drew played well, but he's not gonna play well if we can't run. It's way too great an expectation to put on him or any QB.

We'll see. Not saying we won't have a successful outing v. Minn. Just saying if we don't, then we're in a world of hurt going into the HO.

Novacane
08-10-2002, 11:33 AM
Wys.........you also have to take what the D is giving! If they are stacking the run than you have to throw to make them back off!

WG
08-10-2002, 11:40 AM
According to what I read it didn't appear that they were fronting 6 or 7 men constantly. Am I wrong? Did they show and consistently rush 6 or 7? If that's the case, then I stand corrected.

But w/ Drew throwing the way he was and Henry only being able to rush for 1/2 yards a pop, that just doesn't sound right. Even if they had 5 on the line, he should have gotten 3 or 4 once in a while. I think he only had two runs over 4 yards and most were 1, 2, or negative.

We also cannot expect to go thru the season w/ absolutely no injuries on the OL. Let's face it, Henry was sketchy at best last year. I'm as optimistic as you and everyone else is about his potential this year. But he does need to show that he can run the ball consistently for 70-120 ypg in order to cement himself as our starter.

I'm tellin' ya now, that's the key to our season offensively. The key defensively is to get the offense the ball. B/c we're not gonna be in the top 20 of scoring Ds. If Drew is faced w/ constant blitzes, DL's w/ 5 or 6 men, his play is gonna suffer dramatically.

WG
08-10-2002, 11:45 AM
That's enough until after the Minnesota game!

I fully expect to see Henry in there for at least 15 carries and he'd better have at least a 4.0 ypc average on those. If he can't do that vs. Minnesota, preseason or not, then we need to start considering whether perhaps Bryson is a better rusher.

HenryRules
08-10-2002, 11:47 AM
As far as the Bengals stacking the line, no I didn't see them doing that, but I did see them giving up 9 completions out of 11 attempts and 2 passing td's. More than anything, that implies to me that the Bengals were giving the Bills the passing game.

SABURZFAN
08-10-2002, 11:54 AM
preseason will help us iron out these problems.the scoreboard isn't as important than being able to watch your backups fight for a roster spot.

WG
08-10-2002, 11:55 AM
Well, according to what I've read, their coverage was awful w/ guys not even on our WRs leaving them wide open. How many games can we expect that this year?

It won't happen against any teams in our division, nor the Raiders, Bears, Pack, Chiefs, or Denver.

Everyone is reading WAY too much into Drew's performance, most of which took place on the opening series, against a secondary featuring Burris, Hall, Hawkins, and a rookie CB.

WG
08-10-2002, 12:00 PM
BTW, I'm not saying Drew didn't play well. He did. What I am saying is that he won't have the luxury of uncovered Moulds, Price, and Reed all year or even sometimes.

I just hope that his first play resulting in a sack isn't more of a harbinger than that overall drive was.

justasportsfan
08-10-2002, 12:04 PM
Geez, some guys should slow down on the coffee and not worry too much. It's not like our season is over after the first preseason game.

Top priority is to keep the team healthy. GW was saying how the OL would be so much better if Ruben was in there. Ruben may be there tomorrow and gone the next w/c goes the same for the rest of the first team. Should M Williams or someone else go down , then what?

WYS, you can't judge Fletchers entire season performance based on his first appearance with a new team.

BTW, I guess that Fletcher isn't gonna be able to overcome a poor DL.

I hear ya on the running game but I didn't expect it to excel in the first game anyways. I think the OL is basically trying to get comfortable w/ each other for one thing and trying to get familiar with the Gilbride system.

A lot of us were very optimistic going into last years season......Rob Johnson, WCO, so why are we so worried?

I guess we got too excited and too much media hype that we expected more from our team even on the first preseason game.

RELAX!!! We will score a lot of points this year. My worry is our D.