PDA

View Full Version : IF JP isnt next years starter

djjimkelly
12-27-2005, 12:01 PM
this franchise is doomed. holcomb is a journeymen at best. he still makes 3-4 decsiions a game that leave you wondering WTF. if we dont dedicate a full 16 games to JP next year this team is destined to not be above 500 for the next several years. holcomb yes he played well last week but it was the same time it was the recipe bledsoe won with the year before defense making huge plays and special teams making huge plays. if not for roscoe making a hell of a play with his feet and a few serious catches by other wrs holcomb would have had another avg game. now im not taking this away from holcomb im happy he did it becuz this shows we have a great backup.

THE LONGER WE WAIT ON LETTING JP BE JP THE LONGER WE WAIT ON A PLAYOFF RUN. if JP blows up next year and shows for 16 games he cant do it. we are one step closer to bringing in the next QB. if JP shows he can do it then great either way its a must. this year has been a joke JP has missed a crucial 400-500 snaps in his developement. AND SHAME ON THE BILLS FOR THAT !!!!!!!!!

Ebenezer
12-27-2005, 12:04 PM
IF JP isnt next years starter

then this year was even more of a waste then it was...either way they may have to decide between JP and most of the vets on the team...players want to win and they want to win now...after his after game comments I think you can add Villarrial to the list of players lined up behind Holcomb...

Mr. Cynical
12-27-2005, 12:09 PM
then this year was even more of a waste then it was...either way they may have to decide between JP and most of the vets on the team...players want to win and they want to win now...after his after game comments I think you can add Villarrial to the list of players lined up behind Holcomb...

As I said back in October, this season *was* a total waste. And if JP doesn't start and if they don't have someone besides KH starting, then 2006 will be "Yet Another Season Wasted".

http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?t=83058&highlight=2005

dolphinssuck
12-27-2005, 12:12 PM
If JP doesnt start next year then its a waste of talent and youth at QB. That shoulda been the whole reason he was selected because of his talent and being the future qb of Buffalo. If Holcomb starts then their asking for another mediocre season at best which JP would not bring to them if he is protected by the O line.

Ebenezer
12-27-2005, 12:13 PM
I was in Louisiana at the time and didn't see the thread...

Philagape
12-27-2005, 12:16 PM
If the rest of the team wants to win now, they better learn some fundamentals like stopping the run, run blocking, committing to the run once they do, protecting the QB, defending passes, etc.

Bill Cody
THE LONGER WE WAIT ON LETTING JP BE JP THE LONGER WE WAIT ON A PLAYOFF RUN. if JP blows up next year and shows for 16 games he cant do it. we are one step closer to bringing in the next QB. if JP shows he can do it then great either way its a must. this year has been a joke JP has missed a crucial 400-500 snaps in his developement. AND SHAME ON THE BILLS FOR THAT !!!!!!!!!

That's one way to look at it. I agree for a different reason. Let JP play 16 games next year. IMO that makes us the clear cut front runner in the 2007 Brady Quinn sweepstakes. 3-13 could make us the winner's.:up:

Mudflap1
I've said it a thousand times...

The coaches and general manager made a huge mistake by handing Losman the job unconditionally before this season. They implied to the players and the fans that this team was playoff ready, and Losman would be serviceable at quarterback. He wasn't, he struggled like most young quarterbacks. This in turn pissed everyone off, since everyone felt this team had the talent to make the playoffs. The other big mistake was letting key offensive and defensive linemen leave without replacing them. You can't do that, then hand the reigns to some kid unconditionally who is not ready, then expect the team to be good.

The right thing to do would've been 1) re-sign or replace Pat Williams and Jonas Jennings (and build the offensive and defensive lines better as a whole), and 2) have Losman compete with Bledsoe or Holcomb (whoever was here) for the starting job throughout training camp. Best guy wins. If the veteran wins the job and then struggles, you can start integrating the kid into the fold as expectations falter. Then he has no pressure on him to "win now." The coaches and general manager put him in a bad position.

That being said, the veterans feel like they can win now. In their current state, they can't. This team needs to be rebuilt up front. However, if that happens, then yes, they can compete and win now. At that point, the best quarterback on the team should be the one that is starting. Don't hand it to someone unconditionally and risk sacrificing an entire year for the sake of placating him and the fans to see if "he's the guy" after he "takes his lumps." Play him when he's good enough. It's very simple.

Jon

pleasesavedrew
12-27-2005, 12:21 PM
I've said it a thousand times...

The coaches and general manager made a huge mistake by handing Losman the job unconditionally before this season. They implied to the players and the fans that this team was playoff ready, and Losman would be serviceable at quarterback. He wasn't, he struggled like most young quarterbacks. This in turn pissed everyone off, since everyone felt this team had the talent to make the playoffs. The other big mistake was letting key offensive and defensive linemen leave without replacing them. You can't do that, then hand the reigns to some kid unconditionally who is not ready, then expect the team to be good.

The right thing to do would've been 1) re-sign or replace Pat Williams and Jonas Jennings (and build the offensive and defensive lines better as a whole), and 2) have Losman compete with Bledsoe or Holcomb (whoever was here) for the starting job throughout training camp. Best guy wins. If the veteran wins the job and then struggles, you can start integrating the kid into the fold as expectations falter. Then he has no pressure on him to "win now." The coaches and general manager put him in a bad position.

That being said, the veterans feel like they can win now. In their current state, they can't. This team needs to be rebuilt up front. However, if that happens, then yes, they can compete and win now. At that point, the best quarterback on the team should be the one that is starting. Don't hand it to someone unconditionally and risk sacrificing an entire year for the sake of placating him and the fans to see if "he's the guy" after he "takes his lumps." Play him when he's good enough. It's very simple.

Jon

Drew would have stayed if he would have gotten a chance to compete, that would have given JP some much needed competion, and then even if we would have started him from the begining, Drew would have been a very serviceable backup.

djjimkelly
12-27-2005, 12:24 PM
u know i have to say look at eli manning hes a 50% passer and team is winning. why u ask a real running game and an o line that actually opens holes for that little scat back tiki. that isnt a jab at tiki but he is what he is. but isnt it night and day what a team built very closely to what bilkls are built like can do when their o line actually provides time for passing opens real holes for their RB. and even more important who a defense can makes play after play when then front seven can create pressure!

Mudflap1
12-27-2005, 12:26 PM
Yeah. This isn't about Drew though. The only thing Drew had going for him was that the veterans liked him. Other than that, you can interchange him with "veteran immobile QB with playoff experience" guys like Holcomb, Warner, and Collins. The point is to bring in stiff competition to Losman. Make him earn the job outright. If he does, then he deserves to start and to sink or swim. The coaches didn't make him earn, they just gave it to him on a silver platter like he was some top pedigree "can't miss" quarterback that went number one overall in the draft. They treated him like a little prince, and now they are paying for it.

Make him work his little ass off and earn his playing time.

Jon

Mudflap1
12-27-2005, 12:28 PM
u know i have to say look at eli manning hes a 50% passer and team is winning. why u ask a real running game and an o line that actually opens holes for that little scat back tiki. that isnt a jab at tiki but he is what he is. but isnt it night and day what a team built very closely to what bilkls are built like can do when their o line actually provides time for passing opens real holes for their RB. and even more important who a defense can makes play after play when then front seven can create pressure!

Having good offensive linemen is king. It makes everyone play better. If we can restock the offensive line so that they have some real studs playing up front, I don't care if Holcomb or Losman plays, either one will do a good job. It won't even matter, we'll win either way.

Jon

SpillerThrills
12-27-2005, 12:48 PM
Yeah. This isn't about Drew though. The only thing Drew had going for him was that the veterans liked him. Other than that, you can interchange him with "veteran immobile QB with playoff experience" guys like Holcomb, Warner, and Collins. The point is to bring in stiff competition to Losman. Make him earn the job outright. If he does, then he deserves to start and to sink or swim. The coaches didn't make him earn, they just gave it to him on a silver platter like he was some top pedigree "can't miss" quarterback that went number one overall in the draft. They treated him like a little prince, and now they are paying for it.

Make him work his little ass off and earn his playing time.

Jon

Look at the Chargers.... Brees did little to nothing untill Rivers was drafted and was "the qb of the future" for the chargers... now Brees is playing like a mad man and you can't get him out of there... I think that if buffalo uses JP next year, but makes him earn his spot instead of just handing it to him then he could be a better qb... if not then we draft someone else and make it an open position and see who wins

jim

Mudflap1
12-27-2005, 01:13 PM
Look at the Chargers.... Brees did little to nothing untill Rivers was drafted and was "the qb of the future" for the chargers... now Brees is playing like a mad man and you can't get him out of there... I think that if buffalo uses JP next year, but makes him earn his spot instead of just handing it to him then he could be a better qb... if not then we draft someone else and make it an open position and see who wins

jim

Good example of why I support "open competition" in regards to whoever starts has earned the job through hard work and determination.

Jon

doomsdayvirus
12-27-2005, 01:15 PM
then this year was even more of a waste then it was...

this season was a waste. we didn't give the new guy the experience he needed and the veteran didn't lead us to the playoffs. nothing has been accomplished.

holcomb still can't throw more than 20 yards, can't run for a 1st down when he's rushed and still throws short on 3rd and long! how he ever passed for 400+ yards in a single game (browns vs. bengals) i'll never know.

i liked what i saw from jp when they put him back in. he needed a little more fine-tuning, but he was well on his way. i think that with some protection from the line, and some cooperation from the veterans he can and will be a solid QB.

yes, he started off shaky, like a kid who spent too much time studying and not playing, which is what he was after spending the entire offseason in buffalo going over plays and film with sam wyche. once he loosened up and started to play the game, he did just fine.

it's been said numerous times on here, and i'll say it again. holcomb has reached his pinnacle and it isn't all that high. jp is still climbing and he's already playing at holcomb's level. he just substitutes athletic ability for experience. and experience can only come with playing.

Mudflap1
12-27-2005, 01:24 PM
it's been said numerous times on here, and i'll say it again. holcomb has reached his pinnacle and it isn't all that high. jp is still climbing and he's already playing at holcomb's level. he just substitutes athletic ability for experience. and experience can only come with playing.

Here's where you are incorrect. So far, Losman has not played better than Holcomb. For crying out loud, one guy has an efficiency rating over 92 and the other guy is at 65! That's a big difference.

Yes, J.P. did play solid in the first game, and he was solid against K.C., and he was solid in the first half against Miami. However, he is nowhere near as consistent as Holcomb. No, Holcomb is not the holy savior of Buffalo either. We don't know if Holcomb has reached his pinnacle either though. Who is to say that Holcomb wouldn't be a whole lot better if he was starting the whole time, working with the first team? What about if the offensive line was a lot better?

Losman has shown some improvement this season, but he needs to develop consistency, poise, and the respect of his teammates. When he does that, he will have matched Holcomb's respect level and poise, and with J.P.'s considerable physical talent, he will exceed Holcomb as a quarterback.

Jon

Bmax
12-27-2005, 01:29 PM
Who cares what villiari thanks anyways he is at best a back up on a playoff team..

Let's get some real players in here.. HUTCHINSON,BENTLEY.. and get rid of these castoffs like gandy ,villiari and anderson....

GO BILLS

BMAX

bledslow
12-27-2005, 04:24 PM
this season was a waste. we didn't give the new guy the experience he needed and the veteran didn't lead us to the playoffs. nothing has been accomplished.

holcomb still can't throw more than 20 yards, can't run for a 1st down when he's rushed and still throws short on 3rd and long! how he ever passed for 400+ yards in a single game (browns vs. bengals) i'll never know.

i liked what i saw from jp when they put him back in. he needed a little more fine-tuning, but he was well on his way. i think that with some protection from the line, and some cooperation from the veterans he can and will be a solid QB.

yes, he started off shaky, like a kid who spent too much time studying and not playing, which is what he was after spending the entire offseason in buffalo going over plays and film with sam wyche. once he loosened up and started to play the game, he did just fine.

he has made 20+ yard completions,plus he had about 3 different 20+ yard passes dropped in the denver game. jp cannot make any throw really--he is god awful from beginning to end and cant keep a drive alive to save his life.
the veteran did really good,the veteran was also rotting on the sideline cause the new guy was struggling to connect on 3 yard passes.the losses mounted. the vet also got hurt and missed a bunch of games.if holcomb started the entire 16 games,there is a real good shot the bills are in the playoffs.

--somebody else said that holcomb was a journeyman. well im sure ppl thought the same thing about steve young and rich gannon,and even brad johnson(im sure there is more),but once those guys got decent talent around them,they took off. that type of thing is happening with holcomb this year. give kelly some decent talent,and he is better then just a journeyman.--- with jp,i dont care how much talent is around jp,he is a clueless dope that should be washing lettuce at wendys. kelly is a young 32,ppl at the qb position can play at a high level until there late 30's.if the bills are smart,he should be here a while STARTING.

kevinj22
12-27-2005, 05:13 PM
this franchise is doomed. holcomb is a journeymen at best. he still makes 3-4 decsiions a game that leave you wondering WTF. if we dont dedicate a full 16 games to JP next year this team is destined to not be above 500 for the next several years. holcomb yes he played well last week but it was the same time it was the recipe bledsoe won with the year before defense making huge plays and special teams making huge plays. if not for roscoe making a hell of a play with his feet and a few serious catches by other wrs holcomb would have had another avg game. now im not taking this away from holcomb im happy he did it becuz this shows we have a great backup.

THE LONGER WE WAIT ON LETTING JP BE JP THE LONGER WE WAIT ON A PLAYOFF RUN. if JP blows up next year and shows for 16 games he cant do it. we are one step closer to bringing in the next QB. if JP shows he can do it then great either way its a must. this year has been a joke JP has missed a crucial 400-500 snaps in his developement. AND SHAME ON THE BILLS FOR THAT !!!!!!!!!You are so right about JP. I will be seriously pissed off if KH is starting this week. That should seal MM's coffin if he doesn't start JP. I remember at the start of the season at the pep rally when JIM KELLY of all people made the announcement " I would like to introduce your QB for years to come JP". You have JK making a speech like he did and not allow this kid to grow, then I don't know where this franchise is headed.