PDA

View Full Version : BREAKING NEWS...3 New Coaches on Board...

BillsMan80
01-21-2003, 03:24 PM
Don Blackmon
Pat Ruel
Les Steckel

Have been added to the staff as LBs Coach, OL Coach, and RB Coach. This makes our staff look like this after these hires...

HC-Gregg Williams
OC-Kevin Gilbride
DC-Jerry Gray
QB-Kevin Gilbride
RB-Les Steckel
TE-Dan Neil
WR-Fred Graves
OL-Pat Ruel
DL-Tim Krumrie
LB-Don Blackmon
CB-Pat Thomas
S-Steve Jackson
ST-Danny Smith
Off. Asst-Tommy Kaiser
Def. Asst-Chuck Lester

So does that leave Dick LeBeau in the role of Asst. Head Coach should he come on board? Interesting hires too.

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/index.cfm?cont_id=159194&dsp=press

SABURZFAN
01-21-2003, 03:27 PM
wasn't steckel a Head Coach in the NFL?

Pride
01-21-2003, 03:31 PM
dont remember him

ArcticWildMan
01-21-2003, 03:36 PM
Wonderful...we have a guy Wade Phillips replaced in Atlanta (Blackmon), a guy that Carl Mauck (the living Chris Farley clone) replaced in Detroit (Ruel), and a castoff from the horrid Tampa Offense of 2000 (Steckel).

These guys inspire a lot of confidence :rolleyes:

Romes
01-21-2003, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by SABURZFAN
wasn't steckel a Head Coach in the NFL?

yes.

Steckel - 2003 will mark his 20th season in the National Football League. He has coached every offensive position as an NFL assistant in addition to several seasons as an offensive coordinator and one as a head coach (Minnesota, 1984). Most recently, he was Tampa Bay's offensive coordinator in 2000 after spending the 1997-99 seasons as offensive coordinator with the Tennessee Titans. Steckel has also coached at the NFL level with the Houston Oilers (Receivers, 1995-96); Denver Broncos (Tight Ends, 1993-94); New England Patriots (Quarterbacks/Wide Receivers, 1985-88); Minnesota Vikings (Wide Receivers/Special Teams, 1979-83); and San Francisco 49ers (Tight Ends/Wide Receivers, 1978). In addition, he coached at the collegiate level with Colorado, Navy, and Brown

Romes
01-21-2003, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by ArcticWildMan
Wonderful...we have guy Wade Phillips replaced in Atlanta (Blackmon), a guy that Carl Mauck (the living Chris Farley clone) replced in Detroit (Ruel), and a castoff from the horrid Tampa Offense of 2000 (Steckel).

These guys inspire a lot of confidence :rolleyes:

well at least they have experience.

I wonder how well they can teach?
:couch:

justasportsfan
01-21-2003, 03:50 PM
I don't know about this guy. He kinda reminds me of Wanny!:scratch:

Buffarama
01-21-2003, 03:56 PM
I don't even like the way this coaching staff looks.
We should have cleaned house this year.

don137
01-21-2003, 04:09 PM
I am not overly thrilled with those 3 guys. None of them excelled in there previous coaching positions. Why would that change now?

RedEyE
01-21-2003, 04:24 PM
http://buffalobills.com/photos/blackmonheadshot_subsq.jpg

from Buffalobills.com:

"Obviously the amount of experience that these three individuals bring to our staff is the thing that may be the most impressive," said Bills head coach Gregg Williams of the group that combined has 70 years of coaching experience at the NFL or Division I level. "Our team will benefit from their expertise tremendously and immediately. The goal each offseason is to improve every phase of your organization and we feel we've done that with the addition of these three coaches."

Blackmon played collegiately at Tulsa and was selected by New England in the fourth round of the 1981 NFL Draft. He spent seven seasons in the NFL as a linebacker with the Patriots from 1981-87. After retiring, he immediately joined the Patriots coaching staff as an assistant and coached linebackers from 1988-90. After a one-year stint in Cleveland as the Browns linebackers coach under Bill Belichick in 1991, he was hired by Dan Reeves to coach linebackers with the New York Giants (1993-96). In 1997, he went with Reeves to the Atlanta Falcons where he spent three seasons as linebackers coach before being elevated to defensive coordinator in 2001.

"When I met with Coach (Gregg) Williams and Coach (Jerry) Gray, I was comfortable with them immediately," said Blackmon. "You always pay attention to what other teams are doing and I remember noticing their defense in Tennessee and how impressed I was by it. So it's exciting to be a part of that in Buffalo. I started my career in the AFC East and know not only about the quality of football that's played in that division but the passion of the fans for their team, particularly in Buffalo."

IMO, I think that Blackmon will work out well. He has worked with successful LBs Jessie Tuggle and Keith Brooking.

RedEyE
01-21-2003, 04:26 PM
http://buffalobills.com/photos/ruelheadshot_subsq.jpg

from Buffalobills.com:

Ruel comes to Buffalo with 28 years of coaching experience at the NFL and NCAA-Division I level. Most recently he was with the Green Bay Packers for the past two seasons as assistant offensive line coach and before that spent the 2000 NFL campaign as the offensive line coach with the Detroit Lions. He began his coaching career with the University of Miami, his alma mater, first as a graduate assistant (1973) and then as offensive line coach (1974-76). He then spent time at Arkansas (Assistant Offensive Line, 1977-78); Washington State (Offensive Coordinator/Offensive Line, 1979-81); Texas A&M (Offensive Coordinator/Offensive Line, 1982-84); Northern Illinois (Asst. Head Coach/Offensive Coordinator, 1985-87); Kansas (Offensive Coordinator/Offensive Line, 1988-9; Asst. Head Coach, 1991-96); and Michigan State (Offensive Line, 1999 and Asst. Head Coach/Offensive line, 1999).

"The biggest thing that excites me is the timing of the opportunity," said Ruel. "Across the league, the Bills are certainly viewed as a team on the rise and one with great things ahead of it. I remember looking at film of them when the Packers played them late in the season and remember thinking how much talent the team has on both sides of the football. The offensive line in particular has a strong nucleus and a great mix of solid veterans and young players. I'm looking forward to it tremendously."

No big whoop here. He has a big job ahead of him. Can he do the same thing for Bledsoe as the Pack line did for Favre?

casdhf
01-21-2003, 04:27 PM
quite an ironic name.

RedEyE
01-21-2003, 04:31 PM
http://buffalobills.com/photos/steckelheadshot_subsq.jpg

from buffalobills.com:

For Steckel, 2003 will mark his 20th season in the National Football League. He has coached every offensive position as an NFL assistant in addition to several seasons as an offensive coordinator and one as a head coach (Minnesota, 1984). Most recently, he was Tampa Bay's offensive coordinator in 2000 after spending the 1997-99 seasons as offensive coordinator with the Tennessee Titans. Steckel has also coached at the NFL level with the Houston Oilers (Receivers, 1995-96); Denver Broncos (Tight Ends, 1993-94); New England Patriots (Quarterbacks/Wide Receivers, 1985-88); Minnesota Vikings (Wide Receivers/Special Teams, 1979-83); and San Francisco 49ers (Tight Ends/Wide Receivers, 1978). In addition, he coached at the collegiate level with Colorado, Navy, and Brown.

"My first reaction is how thrilled I am about this opportunity," said Steckel. "I know the quality of head coach that the Bills have in Gregg Williams and also the tremendous reputation that the organization enjoys, from Mr. (Ralph) Wilson and Tom Donahoe on down. I can't wait to get there and be a part of it."

I like the fact that Steckel worked as the Broncos TE coach 1993-1994, but is it any wonder that he is formally from the Tennesee Titans?

ArcticWildMan
01-21-2003, 04:54 PM
They are all retreads that were fired by previous coaches. :rolleyes:

The Natrix
01-21-2003, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by casdhf
quite an ironic name.

why? Because he rules?

TigerJ
01-21-2003, 05:14 PM
Blackmon was replaced as a defensive coordinator. He's being hired as a linebacker coach. That doesn't bother me. Pat Ruel was most recently an assistant offensive line coach for a well coached Green Bay Packer line. I'm assuming when he was let go by Detroit it was part of a general housecleaning when Morningwheg was hired. That doesn't bother me. That Morningwheg picked Carl Mauck only confirms that Morningwhen is clueless and does not indicate that Ruel is worse. Les Steckel is the choice that makes the least sense to me. I don't really care that he's coached wide receivers and linemen, and coordinated offences before. I would rather he'd focussed on running backs more. Even better, it would be nice if he were a former running back himself. Do I sound like I wish the Bills had hired Thruman Thomas? We'll just have to see how Travis Henry does next year.

Novacane
01-21-2003, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by ArcticWildMan
They are all retreads that were fired by previous coaches. :rolleyes:

Most every coach with any experience has been fired before. They can't be any worse than what we had, can they? Lets hope not!

Buffarama
01-21-2003, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by TigerJ
Blackmon was replaced as a defensive coordinator. He's being hired as a linebacker coach. That doesn't bother me. Pat Ruel was most recently an assistant offensive line coach for a well coached Green Bay Packer line. I'm assuming when he was let go by Detroit it was part of a general housecleaning when Morningwheg was hired. That doesn't bother me. That Morningwheg picked Carl Mauck only confirms that Morningwhen is clueless and does not indicate that Ruel is worse. Les Steckel is the choice that makes the least sense to me. I don't really care that he's coached wide receivers and linemen, and coordinated offences before. I would rather he'd focussed on running backs more. Even better, it would be nice if he were a former running back himself. Do I sound like I wish the Bills had hired Thruman Thomas? We'll just have to see how Travis Henry does next year.

Can you really imagine Thurman on the sideline watching Greg run the game. He'd be likely to strangle him.

kgun12
01-21-2003, 09:33 PM
I guess there is know winning here. Either the coach has too experience or they are retreads. Is there any coach that doesn't fit one of these 2 catagories? GW could have hired D. Shula, V Lombardi, C. Knoll, B. Parcells, B. Walsh, and someone would have said "they are all RETREADS". Or he could have Hired All the coaches with a National Championship But know NFL experience and someone would have said "they don't have any experience". OR a mixture of both and someone would have said "they are all RETREADS AND OR THEY HAVE KNOW EXPERIENCE" WTF do we want GW to do. Most of us don't know or have VERY little knowledge about any of these new coaches but we don't like them. Lets give them until at least 1 mini camp to know for sure ok?:help:

Ð
01-21-2003, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by CalBillsFan

yes.

Steckel - Most recently, he was Tampa Bay's offensive coordinator in 2000

Yep I remember the Tampa Bay offence setting the world on fire with a blistering 14-point offensive performance against the Skins in the 2000 playoffs. Then they followed that up with a 6 point performance against the Rams.

Steckel is German for can't score points

Romes
01-21-2003, 11:49 PM
Donahoe was retread from Pittsburg. Anyone complaining about him?

LABillsFan
01-22-2003, 12:27 AM
So what happened with Lebeau and Alexander? Seems to me if you read between the lines, there is not that much confidence in GW returning next year, the lame duck status just may be hurting him when it comes to hiring solid coaches.

ublinkwescore
01-22-2003, 12:36 AM
I've got confidence in Tom Donahoe's staff selection - though I would have rather seen Paul Alexander signed as OL coach.

Romes
01-22-2003, 12:36 AM
Alexander got a promotion from the Bengals he is an OL/offensive assistant, here he would have just been OL. He probably got paid more with that title too. Not much to do with GW there he just wanted to get paid more and liked the promotion.

LeBeau is still deciding.

Buffatexas
01-22-2003, 06:10 AM
The buzz on Steckel is the reason he was let go is because Rich McKay, Bucs GM, wanted the offense to be what Dungy wanted it to be. Steckel on the other hand wanted a "run and shoot" type feel. Now, the Bucs did set a franchise record that season for total offense that year...

don137
01-22-2003, 06:13 AM
It sounded like Alexander really wanted to come to Buffalo but the Bengals denied the Bills permission. Alexander spoke very highly of the Bills and TD and GW. The Bills will get even with Cincy by landing Spikes...

Aero II
01-22-2003, 06:20 AM
There arn't many coaches who havn't been fired before. What would the boards have looked like when Levy was hired with his experience at the time?

Earthquake Enyart
01-22-2003, 06:40 AM
These are the type of guys you get with a lame duck head coach.

kgun12
01-22-2003, 07:05 AM
Originally posted by Earthquake Enyart
These are the type of guys you get with a lame duck head coach.

WNSA is reporting this morning in the Rochester D & C (at work haven't seen it yet) Wilson is going to give GW an extention.

LABillsFan
01-22-2003, 11:21 AM
I stand corrected.

Doc
01-22-2003, 04:56 PM
Let's face facts. Steckel and Blackmon showed enough talent to be named coordinators (and in Steckel's case head coach), so they know their stuff. However in Buffalo they'll merely be position coaches who will be huge upgrades over the guys they'll replace. As for Ruel, I wasn't so thrilled with him at first, but in tonight's Mort chat, he said that it was an excellent hire.

RedEyE
01-22-2003, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by Doc
Let's face facts. Steckel and Blackmon showed enough talent to be named coordinators (and in Steckel's case head coach), so they know their stuff. However in Buffalo they'll merely be position coaches who will be huge upgrades over the guys they'll replace. As for Ruel, I wasn't so thrilled with him at first, but in tonight's Mort chat, he said that it was an excellent hire.

Well stated Doc :up:

Typ0
01-22-2003, 07:26 PM
Let's hope these guys beat the living hell out of GW if he ever wants to punt from the opponent's 32 yard line again. Actually that was Gilbrides fault for throwing a pass on third down he should have ran the ball. So I hope these guys gang up and beat the hell out of both Gilbride and Williams next time they do something stupid like that. I see a lot of good things in GW but until he learns how to manage a game he does not deserve an extension.

Doc
01-22-2003, 10:21 PM
Originally posted by RedEyE

Well stated Doc :up:

Thanks. I just don't get why people have to ***** and moan about everything! The bottom line is these guys are MUCH better than the guys they are replacing, and considering they're former coordinators who will just be position coaches now, they're even better than just your average NFL position coach. I'll still wait to pass judgement on Ruel, but if Mort thinks it was a good move, I'll have to take his word for it.

:deadhorse