BREAKING NEWS...3 New Coaches on Board...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BillsMan80
    Tapit: All the Way to the Derby
    • Jul 2002

BREAKING NEWS...3 New Coaches on Board...

Don Blackmon
    Pat Ruel
    Les Steckel

Have been added to the staff as LBs Coach, OL Coach, and RB Coach. This makes our staff look like this after these hires...

HC-Gregg Williams
    OC-Kevin Gilbride
    DC-Jerry Gray
    QB-Kevin Gilbride
    RB-Les Steckel
    TE-Dan Neil
    WR-Fred Graves
    OL-Pat Ruel
    DL-Tim Krumrie
    LB-Don Blackmon
    CB-Pat Thomas
    S-Steve Jackson
    ST-Danny Smith
    Off. Asst-Tommy Kaiser
    Def. Asst-Chuck Lester

So does that leave Dick LeBeau in the role of Asst. Head Coach should he come on board? Interesting hires too.

The NTRA...GO BABY GO!!!!!!!
    THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT WILLIS!!!!!!!!!!! Touchdown Wills McGahee!!!!!
  • SABURZFAN
    short bus extraordinaire
    • Jul 2002

wasn't steckel a Head Coach in the NFL?
    Originally posted by yordad
    Christ, you are the queerest person in the history of Bills fanhood. I swear to god I would stomp you.

Comment

• Pride
      • Jul 2002

dont remember him

Comment

• ArcticWildMan

Wonderful...we have a guy Wade Phillips replaced in Atlanta (Blackmon), a guy that Carl Mauck (the living Chris Farley clone) replaced in Detroit (Ruel), and a castoff from the horrid Tampa Offense of 2000 (Steckel).

These guys inspire a lot of confidence

Comment

• CalBillsFan
          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by SABURZFAN
          wasn't steckel a Head Coach in the NFL?
          yes.

Steckel - 2003 will mark his 20th season in the National Football League. He has coached every offensive position as an NFL assistant in addition to several seasons as an offensive coordinator and one as a head coach (Minnesota, 1984). Most recently, he was Tampa Bay's offensive coordinator in 2000 after spending the 1997-99 seasons as offensive coordinator with the Tennessee Titans. Steckel has also coached at the NFL level with the Houston Oilers (Receivers, 1995-96); Denver Broncos (Tight Ends, 1993-94); New England Patriots (Quarterbacks/Wide Receivers, 1985-88); Minnesota Vikings (Wide Receivers/Special Teams, 1979-83); and San Francisco 49ers (Tight Ends/Wide Receivers, 1978). In addition, he coached at the collegiate level with Colorado, Navy, and Brown
          Originally posted by paladin warrior
          RALPH is drove me nut.

Comment

• CalBillsFan
            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by ArcticWildMan
            Wonderful...we have guy Wade Phillips replaced in Atlanta (Blackmon), a guy that Carl Mauck (the living Chris Farley clone) replced in Detroit (Ruel), and a castoff from the horrid Tampa Offense of 2000 (Steckel).

These guys inspire a lot of confidence
            well at least they have experience.

I wonder how well they can teach?
            Originally posted by paladin warrior
            RALPH is drove me nut.

Comment

• justasportsfan
              • Jul 2002

I don't know about this guy. He kinda reminds me of Wanny!
              sacrifice1
              https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• Buffarama
                Football-Sport of the Gods
                • Jul 2002

I don't even like the way this coaching staff looks.
                We should have cleaned house this year.

Comment

• don137
                  • Jul 2002

I am not overly thrilled with those 3 guys. None of them excelled in there previous coaching positions. Why would that change now?

Comment

• RedEyE
                    • Jul 2002

Don Blackmon

from Buffalobills.com:

"Obviously the amount of experience that these three individuals bring to our staff is the thing that may be the most impressive," said Bills head coach Gregg Williams of the group that combined has 70 years of coaching experience at the NFL or Division I level. "Our team will benefit from their expertise tremendously and immediately. The goal each offseason is to improve every phase of your organization and we feel we've done that with the addition of these three coaches."

Blackmon played collegiately at Tulsa and was selected by New England in the fourth round of the 1981 NFL Draft. He spent seven seasons in the NFL as a linebacker with the Patriots from 1981-87. After retiring, he immediately joined the Patriots coaching staff as an assistant and coached linebackers from 1988-90. After a one-year stint in Cleveland as the Browns linebackers coach under Bill Belichick in 1991, he was hired by Dan Reeves to coach linebackers with the New York Giants (1993-96). In 1997, he went with Reeves to the Atlanta Falcons where he spent three seasons as linebackers coach before being elevated to defensive coordinator in 2001.

"When I met with Coach (Gregg) Williams and Coach (Jerry) Gray, I was comfortable with them immediately," said Blackmon. "You always pay attention to what other teams are doing and I remember noticing their defense in Tennessee and how impressed I was by it. So it's exciting to be a part of that in Buffalo. I started my career in the AFC East and know not only about the quality of football that's played in that division but the passion of the fans for their team, particularly in Buffalo."

IMO, I think that Blackmon will work out well. He has worked with successful LBs Jessie Tuggle and Keith Brooking.
                    Last edited by RedEyE; 01-21-2003, 04:27 PM.

Comment

• RedEyE
                      • Jul 2002

Pat Ruel

from Buffalobills.com:

Ruel comes to Buffalo with 28 years of coaching experience at the NFL and NCAA-Division I level. Most recently he was with the Green Bay Packers for the past two seasons as assistant offensive line coach and before that spent the 2000 NFL campaign as the offensive line coach with the Detroit Lions. He began his coaching career with the University of Miami, his alma mater, first as a graduate assistant (1973) and then as offensive line coach (1974-76). He then spent time at Arkansas (Assistant Offensive Line, 1977-78); Washington State (Offensive Coordinator/Offensive Line, 1979-81); Texas A&M (Offensive Coordinator/Offensive Line, 1982-84); Northern Illinois (Asst. Head Coach/Offensive Coordinator, 1985-87); Kansas (Offensive Coordinator/Offensive Line, 1988-9; Asst. Head Coach, 1991-96); and Michigan State (Offensive Line, 1999 and Asst. Head Coach/Offensive line, 1999).

"The biggest thing that excites me is the timing of the opportunity," said Ruel. "Across the league, the Bills are certainly viewed as a team on the rise and one with great things ahead of it. I remember looking at film of them when the Packers played them late in the season and remember thinking how much talent the team has on both sides of the football. The offensive line in particular has a strong nucleus and a great mix of solid veterans and young players. I'm looking forward to it tremendously."

No big whoop here. He has a big job ahead of him. Can he do the same thing for Bledsoe as the Pack line did for Favre?
                      Last edited by RedEyE; 01-21-2003, 04:33 PM.

Comment

• casdhf
                        • Jul 2002

quite an ironic name.
                        Originally posted by BillsZone Mod
                        cas,

I'm just letting you know that you have been given 2 points for telling Wys AKA Mark to kill himself.

BillsZone Mod

Comment

• RedEyE
                          • Jul 2002

Lee Steckel

from buffalobills.com:

For Steckel, 2003 will mark his 20th season in the National Football League. He has coached every offensive position as an NFL assistant in addition to several seasons as an offensive coordinator and one as a head coach (Minnesota, 1984). Most recently, he was Tampa Bay's offensive coordinator in 2000 after spending the 1997-99 seasons as offensive coordinator with the Tennessee Titans. Steckel has also coached at the NFL level with the Houston Oilers (Receivers, 1995-96); Denver Broncos (Tight Ends, 1993-94); New England Patriots (Quarterbacks/Wide Receivers, 1985-88); Minnesota Vikings (Wide Receivers/Special Teams, 1979-83); and San Francisco 49ers (Tight Ends/Wide Receivers, 1978). In addition, he coached at the collegiate level with Colorado, Navy, and Brown.

"My first reaction is how thrilled I am about this opportunity," said Steckel. "I know the quality of head coach that the Bills have in Gregg Williams and also the tremendous reputation that the organization enjoys, from Mr. (Ralph) Wilson and Tom Donahoe on down. I can't wait to get there and be a part of it."

I like the fact that Steckel worked as the Broncos TE coach 1993-1994, but is it any wonder that he is formally from the Tennesee Titans?
                          Last edited by RedEyE; 01-21-2003, 05:00 PM.

Comment

• ArcticWildMan

They are all retreads that were fired by previous coaches.

Comment

• The Natrix
                              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by casdhf
                              quite an ironic name.
                              why? Because he rules?

Byrd.

Comment

Working...
                              X